Teen charged in father's death

There are 14 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from Nov 16, 2010, titled Teen charged in father's death. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

A 16-year-old who was hunting with his father in Mimbres may have accidentally killed him, and is being charged with an open count of murder by the Grant County Sheriff's office, despite the father's body having not yet been found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

rrr

Quemado, NM

#1 Nov 16, 2010
What a tragety for this family. They will be suffering for a long time. The boy will be suffering for a long time.
Susie

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Nov 16, 2010
What do they know that makes it murder and not an accident?
Al Reine

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Nov 16, 2010
This whole story sounds VERY weird. Note this comment:
""I said,'Did you do CPR?' and he said,'No, there was nothing left,' and that's when we realized that he must be dead," Smith said."

"WE" realized he was dead??? I thought it was just the kid and his father. Did he have a mouse in his pocket or what? And why in the world would you use CPR when someone was shot?

"'No, there was nothing left,"

A shot with a deer rifle doesn't destroy the whole body. If it was a shotgun with buckshot, it would certainly disintegrate most of the head. But that would be instantly obvious that Dad was dead. And how can you charge someone with murder when you don't even have the corpse?

This whole incident sounds screwed up to me.
morgao

Lordsburg, NM

#4 Nov 16, 2010
no body no evidence of wrong doing, we must not be getting the full story
sad

Silver City, NM

#5 Nov 16, 2010
Al, I beleive the quote about "we" was a quote of Ms. Smith, not of the boy. So that would would mean that "we" as in maybe Ms. Smith and whoever else was working in the resteraunt realized the man must be dead after the boy stated "there was nothing left." Thats the way I read it anyway.

As far as the gunshot, have you ever seen a high powered gunshot to the head?......yeah well I have and there would be nothing left, very little if anything, especially not enough to warrant CPR.

Sad that they booked him right away instead of using him to help locate the fathers body.
Bob

Silver City, NM

#6 Nov 16, 2010
I'm wondering if Fermin jumped the gun of forced a confession from the kid. He tried to force a confession from my son when my son had done nothing wrong. Fermin Lopez is a vile human being.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#7 Nov 16, 2010
Prayers to the family. May the holy spirit comfort them during this difficult period.

“Just Eat Me!”

Since: Jul 10

1st row passed the tomatoes

#8 Nov 16, 2010
So much for being innocent until PROVEN guilty... I have no words for this...The DA here lets out all kinds of criminals when they actually have proof of them breaking the law..Yet they throw a child behind bars with no proof of what actually has happened...I really don't feel that this boy is a flight risk...My god his father is dead...Send him to his mother...thats what he needs now...So sad..
wait a minute

Silver City, NM

#9 Nov 16, 2010
OMG! Are we dealing with incompetent Law Enforcement Officers once again in Grant County? For crying out loud, isn't anyone in that county qualified to do there job! I guess as long as you can drive a vehicle you can become an officer of the Law in Grant County! I hope they don't screw this investigation up!
chingao

Silver City, NM

#10 Nov 16, 2010
wait a minute wrote:
OMG! Are we dealing with incompetent Law Enforcement Officers once again in Grant County? For crying out loud, isn't anyone in that county qualified to do there job! I guess as long as you can drive a vehicle you can become an officer of the Law in Grant County! I hope they don't screw this investigation up!
Sorry for the bad news... they will screw this one up too. I guess you can play cop for a year in NM without even stepping foot inside an academy. Damn that's scary!!!!
big C

Silver City, NM

#11 Nov 17, 2010
I agree 100% about the inadequate training of police. they give em a badge and say hey gomer get it on. then they pay them so crappy that they almost have to be dishonest to even live. How many times have you heard well someones going to jail.Shut up. let the Kid out till you have hard evidence.
Al Reine

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Nov 17, 2010
Well it appears the bumbling police stumbled upon the truth and this kid did kill his father. They found the body. And reports sqy the kid is a pretty flakey dude too. Makes one wonder WHY the father gave this kid access to a gun and then went out in the boonies with him.

And yes, I have seen numerous gunshot wounds to all parts of the body. Sometimes they do massive damage and sometimes they go in and out with very little outside damage. The results always vary greatly. There is no "constant".
mimbres

United States

#13 Nov 17, 2010
morgao wrote:
no body no evidence of wrong doing, we must not be getting the full story
we as in her and every one in the bbq place and yes it does sound fishy thats wy the boy is locked up
mimbres

United States

#14 Nov 17, 2010
i think we should just let the police do there job and stay out of it thay are not going to let to much out and we can all try to do there job and what makes you better than them

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you know how safe your kids are around trust... 16 hr jbik 3
Federal law enforcement agencies conduct meth s... 22 hr Carnalito loco 1
Review: Custom Steelworks May 1 u know who 1
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Apr 19 rabbee yehoshooah... 71,942
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Apr 13 Tony 617
News Barshaw on suicide watch (Dec '10) Apr 5 yankeedudell 57
News Carlsbad air service provider will not renew co... Apr '15 Tyler King 4
More from around the web

Silver City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]