Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72036 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#70522 Mar 31, 2014
typo

our negativity IS lessened, not our negativity are lessened

(Later)

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#70523 Mar 31, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you're channeling Pope Francis (re gays).
"Judge" may be too strong a word. I prefer to think of it as critical thinking.
But of course we judge...I don't think we can help it.
Some of us judge OUR religion to be the right one, at least right for us.
Some us may say Scientology is a load of crap. Some of us may reject ALL religions....
I dont judge (publically) the beliefs of others. I judge their actions.

Its impossible to censor ones "internal judge". Thats another matter altogether.

As to what religion is best for who - we have discussed this before. I opt out because I have no need to reject my own - which is a pre-req to deciding if another religion is more right for me.

As for those people who judge that their religion is the only right one (i.e the other religion is "false"), obviously I disagree with that perspective.....

Atheists are judgemental by their very nature. Who else would bother to advocate a stance?

Location hidden

#70524 Mar 31, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
BUDDHISM IS A RELIGION
Buddhism, like every other religion, is a religion in the sense that it exhorts its followers to take refuge in Buddha, Sang (church) and Dharma (core principles that uphold existence).
This is how a Buddhist yokes himself outwardly in Buddhism.
Thats funny. Thats basically what I said. On some level, the system makes some assumptions about the nature of reality.

I fail to see much difference between "nothingness" in the tradition of Zen, and "ayn od milvado" in the tradition of Hasidic Judaism.

Just language.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#70525 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
Atheists are judgemental by their very nature. Who else would bother to advocate a stance?
No more so than anyone else. Xtians are extremely judgemental of non-Xtians. As a Jew, I'm sure your ancestors have, unfortunately, been on the receiving end of that.

Besides, everyone advocates a stance. Belief, non-belief - those are all stances.

More accurately, atheists tend to be more skeptical of claims that aren't backed by evidence. I wouldn't call that judgemental, but I would call it using good judgement.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#70526 Mar 31, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Hugh would seize the chance.
Do you think gay sex is abnormal even though homosexuality is observed across a wide spectrum of species?
The fact that gay sex cannot result in procreation is patently clear and so gays cannot propagate humanity and had most men been gay then by now the human species would have become extinct or would have been on the verge of extinction.
Where procreation is concerned, gay sex is abnormal but what about gay sex per se without involving procreation?
If unlike charges/unlike magnetic poles attract then at the level of sentient species shouldn't unlike genders be sexually attracted to each other in keeping with the natural law of unlikes attracting at least where basic nature is concerned?
What do you say?
Abolish The Fed--Any black men looking for gay times?

Joel, the comic----Hugh would seize the chance.

Hugh, the sane---- Am I a dork sucking rabbi? NO

Location hidden

#70527 Mar 31, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
No more so than anyone else. Xtians are extremely judgemental of non-Xtians. As a Jew, I'm sure your ancestors have, unfortunately, been on the receiving end of that.
Besides, everyone advocates a stance. Belief, non-belief - those are all stances.
More accurately, atheists tend to be more skeptical of claims that aren't backed by evidence. I wouldn't call that judgemental, but I would call it using good judgement.
I admit its a continuum, and probably atheists are less guilty of it than a lot of Christians.

I think where I was heading was the observation that what goes on in one's head (i.e. their thoughts) can be a major blockage to experiencing a sense of awe and wonder.

Location hidden

#70528 Mar 31, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
another idiot in search of a village

too blind to notice a troll
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70529 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont judge (publically) the beliefs of others. I judge their actions.
Its impossible to censor ones "internal judge". Thats another matter altogether.
As to what religion is best for who - we have discussed this before. I opt out because I have no need to reject my own - which is a pre-req to deciding if another religion is more right for me.
As for those people who judge that their religion is the only right one (i.e the other religion is "false"), obviously I disagree with that perspective.....
So you never did a comparative analysis to see if another religion would fit you better?

Do think most people would agree that one has to reject his own BEFORE choosing another?
(I don't get the 'pre-req' part..)

Some folks remarry and then change to their new spouses religion.

You strike me as intellectually curious and I think you do feel your religion is the right one for you, or else why would you continue in it...?(this doesn't make the other ones wrong, just not for you)

I don't think your comments an atheists hold for agnostic-atheists who make no claim to know and are not activist/militant. I really don't care much but as you know find believers endlessly fascinating. And religion in general. In that it's global, almost universal.

I don't judge much those who say they speak to god, but those who say god speaks to them, they deserve judgment. And they would also likely qualify for a psych diagnosis as well (strictly speaking). All due respect of course.(But that wouldn't me, that would be a shrink deciding/judging.)

Tomorrow is April's fool's day. wonder how that fits in here?

Location hidden

#70530 Mar 31, 2014
thank you for the judgenments, Mr Huggy

consistent with your persona
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#70531 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Bohm - an ex Jew?
Doofus - I guess it never occurred to you that agnosticism is fully compatible with Judaism
F. David Peat (1997). Infinite Potential: The Life And Times Of David Bohm. Basic Books. p. 21. ISBN 978-0-201-32820-2. "If he identified Jewish lore and customs with his father, then this was a way he would distance himself from Samuel. By the time he reached his late teens, he had become firmly agnostic."
Frijoles to Joel---Doofus - I guess it never occurred to you that agnosticism is fully compatible with Judaism

HughBe--- Like homosexuality, agnosticism is compatible with Judaism oh I forget that Cheating is as well.

Tell me aspiring rabbi, how many of the 613 commandments do agnostics typically observe?

Since it is RELIGION that makes one a Jew explain how a agnostic or atheist qualify.

Lesson: NO convert is a BIOLOGICAL descendant of Israel and that is a FACT of reality that no false doctrine can change.

I am still waiting for the answer to the land entitlement question about "Jews" who are CONVERTS. Recall each tribe got land so tell me about COVERTS and their land rights, after all they ARE JEWS. It is my hope that your SAGES thought about this question over the past 4000 years and so please quote from them and your modern WISE men as well. Give link.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#70532 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles---Bohm - an ex Jew?

HughBe--- There is no such thing as an "ex-Jew". Can someone become an ex-black? That is the IDENTICAL thing to calling someone an ex-Jew.

Jews are a RACE of people or a FAMILY that has COMMON ancestors going back to Jacob or Israel. NOTHING that any man can say or do shall ever change this FACT.

I find the concept of ex-Jew to be CRIMINAL and INHUMANE in my mind.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#70533 Mar 31, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
HUGH,
Are you afraid of death?
Do you often think about death?
1. I do not know if I am afraid of death what I do know is that I do not want to die now.

2. In terms of thinking often about death I would say no.

Location hidden

#70534 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
...what goes on in one's head (i.e. their thoughts) can be a major blockage to experiencing a sense of awe and wonder.
I believe we've been down this path before. Anyone can experience awe and wonder. I'm an extremely skeptical person, but that's never prevented me from experiencing a sense of awe and wonder: a sunset, a moving piece of music, the vastness of the universe, etc...
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70535 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I admit its a continuum, and probably atheists are less guilty of it than a lot of Christians.
I think where I was heading was the observation that what goes on in one's head (i.e. their thoughts) can be a major blockage to experiencing a sense of awe and wonder.
uh oh! Here we go again.

The old "Atheists can't experience awe or wonder" or voices in their heads for that matter!
(Unless they also happen to be psychotic...)

Frijoles, you need a new tune.

Couldn't the same be said for one born into a certain religion and never considering another one simply because of family/cultural tradition (or as I read it, comfort zone). Simply satisfied being satisfied?

Location hidden

#70536 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Confirmation bias? Trolls don't notice trolls, perhaps?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#70537 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny things about us Jews. We question, and encourage dissent and introspection. And we rarely follow our spiritual leaders blindly.
Does your religion do the same?
----------
http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewish-News...
A group of students belonging to the national-religious Ne’emanei Torah Va’avodah organization wrote a strong letter of criticism to Yosef, condemning his university ruling.
“This is something [copying work] which is morally corrupt, and we don’t know how it is possible to find any justification for it,” they wrote.
“Apart from the fact that such actions are a serious breach of university regulations, we as students who work hard every day doing course work and exams are saddened to see the legitimization of cheating and unilateral abrogation of student assignments.”
Tzohar executive vice president Nachman Rosenberg also harshly criticized the rabbi for his halachic ruling.
“It is a sad wonder how, between police investigations, trash talking and immorality, Rabbi Avraham Yosef finds both the time and audacity to personally persecute Rabbi Stav,” Rosenberg said.“I do not doubt his expertise in the Jewish laws pertaining to Passover cleaning, but I think he can use a serious polishing up on the laws of slander and the desecration of God’s name.”
HughBe---"Leading Sefardi Haredi Rabbi Tells University Students It Is KOSHER To Cheat And Plagiarize

Frijoles---Funny things about us Jews.. we rarely follow our spiritual leaders blindly.

HughBe--- Please follow closely.

1. KOSHER things including KOSHER CHEATING and KOSHER PORK are irrelevant to Jews who are NOT religious.

2. KOSHER is also IRRELEVANT to Jews who are into Eastern and other religions. How do you speak for them?

3. Since it is religion that makes one a JEW then I find it interesting that CONVERT Jews do not follow their masters blindly. How then did the "QUALIFY" to become "JEWS"?

4. How is it that your fellow Judaists accept the FALSE concept of KOSHER pork when it is clear even to a moron that the BIBLE says otherwise? Are you not BLIND sheep following your masters? If not explain why not.

5. Your claim lacks honesty and imbeciles can see that.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#70538 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Frijoles, the Flocer---another idiot in search of a village too blind to notice a troll

HughBe--- The point went over your head as usual. My concern and FOCUS was on the CONTENTS i.e. "Hugh would seize the chance" and so I would NOT take any comfort in knowing that the poster is a troll.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#70539 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
thank you for the judgenments, Mr Huggy
consistent with your persona
Son, assuming that I understand you correctly I shall say that I have made no judgments. As I have said so many times in the past I rarely make judgments and when I do it is the FUNNY one.

Do you ever learn anything good?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#70540 Mar 31, 2014
bi boys

Location hidden

#70541 Mar 31, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe we've been down this path before. Anyone can experience awe and wonder. I'm an extremely skeptical person, but that's never prevented me from experiencing a sense of awe and wonder: a sunset, a moving piece of music, the vastness of the universe, etc...
Did I say this was a religious thing? I did not. I merely stated it as is.

Of course you can experience awe. But not if you are too busy thinking about something. Awe is an emotion, not a thought.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DA Walks Away from what should have been a DUI ... Jul 9 Vera lane 1
Silver City, , but choice of NOT accepting ever... Jul 5 mrtnz1955 2
News WNMU to continue recruiting DACA students despi... Jun 29 Susanna 7
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Jun 26 Tony 625
News Yes, Denny's is coming Jun '16 Tiger37 1
News Armory celebrates 100 years Jun '16 my opinion 1
News Old-fashioned Fourth of July party (Jul '13) May '16 YUUUUP 4

Silver City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Silver City Mortgages