Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,225
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66481 Jan 28, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know?
I find fundies (or any religion) lack sense of humor. Jews, otoh, invented self-deprecation.
But to get deeper - thats what I was getting back to with my labeling of your bias. Judaism isnt that beholden to personal belief, its actually quite fluid and robust with regard to God concept, so your unicorn analogy is not so critical. For example - concept of holiness. Ask a observant Jew what it means to be holy or to act holy and you might get 26 different interpretations and shades of meaning. You really can not compare it to fundie Christianity- which is rigid and lacks nuance.
Christians would also give a variety of responses. Jews aren't the only ones able to think for themselves, or laugh at themselves for that matter.

Ever listen to George Carlin? He used to talk about his days in Catholic school.

We're all cafeteria followers in our own way.

OTOH most religions have liberal and more conservative wings.

Fundies are the extreme, though admittedly there are a lot of them. esp in the heartland.

I could see a fundie Christian hillbilly shooting anyone who got near his still.
Thou shalt not kill be damned.

Heading out. Back tomorrow. Have a good one.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66482 Jan 28, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
...and soon everyone is blind.
Fortunately the law doesn't quite see it that way.
Otherwise we'd all probably be dead by now.
Or in perpetual war. Hey, I guess we are!
Except under the great Jimmy Carter!:))
(I know you're a big fan.)
No shots fired by US military during his reign.
You might not realize it, but the normative interpretation that verse is that you can monetize damages and sue. The key is proportional. I.E. as in not excessive. I.E. if you damage someones eye its not fair to go after their teeth....

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66483 Jan 28, 2014
Thank you for the judgements Stefano-idiot.

glad to see you are still here

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66484 Jan 28, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Would he ridicule his own beliefs in the same way?
I doubt it.
It's his chosen myth. Therefore it is better.
Perhaps hypocrite is not the correct word.
Would a Jew ridicule his own beliefs? Have you ever MET a Jew? We're not hard to find. Talk to your boss, your landlord, your parole officer ... try to get some first hand information on us.

Do I believe Judaism is better than other faiths? Yes, but only for me. I believe that whatever you believe is best for you (and if it's not, why would you believe it?).

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66485 Jan 28, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
...I could see a fundie Christian hillbilly shooting anyone who got near his still.
Thou shalt not kill be damned...
Hey! I happen to be a hillbilly (the Jewish variety) and we have a long history and rich culture. I find your condescending tone offensive to my people and my creed. I personally have never had to shoot anyone near my still because I keep it locked up. Prevention is better than cure.

And the biblical injunction isn't "Thou shalt not kill", it is "You shall not murder.", People kill all the time, we kill to eat, to keep our homes from of vermin and to survive. Murder, on the other hand is a completely different thing involving the deliberate killing of a person not in the defence of ourselves or others and (most of the time) I agree it's impolite to murder someone.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66486 Jan 28, 2014
Speaking of offensive - did Joel get kicked off this forum?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#66487 Jan 28, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
Thank you for the judgements Stefano-idiot.
glad to see you are still here
Typical stupid comment from the almost-brainless idiot that might as well be the brainless idiot for excellence.

Don't give too much importance to yourself, deluded. I can care less about your pathetic reasoning and hypocrisy.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66488 Jan 28, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
Speaking of offensive - did Joel get kicked off this forum?
I'm not sure what you could possibly do to get kicked off this forum -- but, I'm sure it would involve nun rape or koala murder.

The more likely explanation is involuntary committal or he got the crap beat out of him by forgetting you can't say anything you like in the real world.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66489 Jan 28, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure what you could possibly do to get kicked off this forum -- but, I'm sure it would involve nun rape or koala murder.
The more likely explanation is involuntary committal or he got the crap beat out of him by forgetting you can't say anything you like in the real world.
Last week there was actually some type of monitor-bit that was deleting some of his posts. He was going nuts (as if he wasnt already) and started to message me with the deleted posts in my private mailbox until I blocked him.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66490 Jan 28, 2014
I'm not sure how sinister that is. I have found that when I make a post behind a VPN (which I do frequently while traveling) that post almost never makes it to the general forum. I can see it, but no one else can and it looks very much like a deleted post (except that it never makes it up to be deleted).

When I'm working or traveling, I make my posts with an iPhone which is problematic in itself as I tend to be verbose and have poor motor skills.

There is some algorithm in Topix that tries to reconcile your detected location with your IP address and will choke if something seems amiss. Which is odd, you can be a raving loon, antisemite and that's OK, but post from the wrong location and suddenly you're not Topix material.

Weird

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66491 Jan 28, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
I'm not sure how sinister that is. I have found that when I make a post behind a VPN (which I do frequently while traveling) that post almost never makes it to the general forum. I can see it, but no one else can and it looks very much like a deleted post (except that it never makes it up to be deleted).
When I'm working or traveling, I make my posts with an iPhone which is problematic in itself as I tend to be verbose and have poor motor skills.
There is some algorithm in Topix that tries to reconcile your detected location with your IP address and will choke if something seems amiss. Which is odd, you can be a raving loon, antisemite and that's OK, but post from the wrong location and suddenly you're not Topix material.
Weird
In Joels case I am pretty certain there was a human involved, because he was complaining that a bunch of his posts didnt make it through - and there was a gap in the numberings. He blamed it on us Jews - his argument being that we were offended (like we cared enough to report him).

So as an experiment I tried to report him and discovered I would have to own up to my email address - which aborted the experiment and made me wonder again who would bother. Then a few posts later he did say something really offensive, and I complained IN a post (not using the report function), and POOF! he disappeared for a few more posts. Basically I think there was a moderator who was fcking with him. Looking for an excuse. This forum has about 60000+ posts - it would be logical that somewhere within Topix admin that someone has noticed us here.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66492 Jan 28, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>In Joels case I am pretty certain there was a human involved, because he was complaining that a bunch of his posts didnt make it through - and there was a gap in the numberings. He blamed it on us Jews - his argument being that we were offended (like we cared enough to report him).

So as an experiment I tried to report him and discovered I would have to own up to my email address - which aborted the experiment and made me wonder again who would bother. Then a few posts later he did say something really offensive, and I complained IN a post (not using the report function), and POOF! he disappeared for a few more posts. Basically I think there was a moderator who was fcking with him. Looking for an excuse. This forum has about 60000+ posts - it would be logical that somewhere within Topix admin that someone has noticed us here.
I'm unconvinced there are any actual moderators here - at least on any regular basis. I think it's completely automated. For example, if you type on certain words or phrases the system will block you from posting with a warning about offensive language. Sometime the results are pretty funny. I've had the metaphorical phrase 'you kill me' blocked for being offensive.

Having a post auto blocked for 'offensive' language does seem to trigger a human response even after it's edited to remove the offending content.

The IP address theory makes sense to me because it works so intermittently. It will block posts randomly so appears to be selective.

People using VPN is pretty common in India. Because local ISPs censor pretty heavily, it's the only way for most Indians to get porn and bootleg torrents.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66493 Jan 29, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm unconvinced there are any actual moderators here - at least on any regular basis. I think it's completely automated. For example, if you type on certain words or phrases the system will block you from posting with a warning about offensive language. Sometime the results are pretty funny. I've had the metaphorical phrase 'you kill me' blocked for being offensive.
Having a post auto blocked for 'offensive' language does seem to trigger a human response even after it's edited to remove the offending content.
The IP address theory makes sense to me because it works so intermittently. It will block posts randomly so appears to be selective.
People using VPN is pretty common in India. Because local ISPs censor pretty heavily, it's the only way for most Indians to get porn and bootleg torrents.
My theory would assume that any human presence would be on an irregular basis.Moderators used to be volunteer positions. Probably your IP theory as well. The theoreies would not be exclusive.

These days my judging button does not work. Maybe it is an Adobe Flash problem (have had that issue in the past). Maybe it is something more nefarious. In the past, I once lost this ability after engaging in a torturous judging spree against someone, and then it miraculously returned. So I know I tripped something, human or more likely algorithmic. This time around it has happened out of the blue - been that way for a few days, Nor that I miss it - I could care less. But worth mentioning.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66494 Jan 29, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>My theory would assume that any human presence would be on an irregular basis.Moderators used to be volunteer positions. Probably your IP theory as well. The theoreies would not be exclusive.

These days my judging button does not work. Maybe it is an Adobe Flash problem (have had that issue in the past). Maybe it is something more nefarious. In the past, I once lost this ability after engaging in a torturous judging spree against someone, and then it miraculously returned. So I know I tripped something, human or more likely algorithmic. This time around it has happened out of the blue - been that way for a few days, Nor that I miss it - I could care less. But worth mentioning.
There was a time when Topix would charge $9 to report a post. Not sure why they stopped. I'm sure it wasn't an attack of guilty conscience.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66495 Jan 29, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a time when Topix would charge $9 to report a post. Not sure why they stopped. I'm sure it wasn't an attack of guilty conscience.
Probably because no one bothered. Would you pay 9 bucks? And possibly because of some American regulation.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66496 Jan 29, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
...Murder, on the other hand is a completely different thing involving the deliberate killing of a person not in the defence of ourselves or others and (most of the time) I agree it's impolite to murder someone.
Unless god says it's okay. I forget who it was that said religion can make otherwise moral people do immoral things - and this is true of most religions.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66497 Jan 29, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless god says it's okay. I forget who it was that said religion can make otherwise moral people do immoral things - and this is true of most religions.
the quote was that it made otherwise moral people do disgusting things, and the author was none other than Christopher Hitchens, a drunk.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66498 Jan 29, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless god says it's okay. I forget who it was that said religion can make otherwise moral people do immoral things - and this is true of most religions.
It's safe to say that an equal to or greater number of people have been stopped or dissuaded from doing immoral things by the tenets of their faiths.

Given that none of us are able to see into the hearts of others, we don't know.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66499 Jan 29, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
the quote was that it made otherwise moral people do disgusting things, and the author was none other than Christopher Hitchens, a drunk.
Ad hominem? That seems a bit harsh calling him a drunk, as if that somehow diminishes his contributions (do you refer to Hemingway, Poe, Churchill, etc... as simply drunks, without acknowledging their contributions?)

Yes, it's well known that Hitchens drank a lot, but, whether you agree with his positions or not, his drinking certainly didn't diminish his wit or intellect in any discernible manner. He killed it in most debates.

Besides, I prefer to focus on the message, not the messanger.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66500 Jan 29, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
It's safe to say that an equal to or greater number of people have been stopped or dissuaded from doing immoral things by the tenets of their faiths.
Disagree.

I would argue that if a person needs religion to act morally, then there is something fundamentally wrong with them.

I would also argue that when people do moral things ,they do so out of innate empathy for their fellow humans (or other living creatures), and not because religion told them to.

Besides, I would far rather trust a person who did good out of their empathetic nature over someone who was doing a good deed simply because they're afraid of the "punishment" they might receive in the afterlife if they didn't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you have VERIZON and you didn't have service... Dec 13 yankeedudell 2
Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Dec 9 billie 4
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Dec 9 MSGT Don 49
* the Silver City Daily Press * Dec 9 billie 1
Getting into the spirit of Christmas, a look at... Dec 9 billie 1
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Dec 7 Insect Trust 44
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Nov '14 Realist 615
Silver City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Silver City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Silver City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Silver City

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:30 am PST

NFL11:30AM
Report: Cardinals to start Ryan Lindley
Yahoo! Sports11:55 AM
Reports say Cardinals will go with Ryan Lindley at QB after all
NBC Sports12:13 PM
Report: Logan Thomas won't start for Cardinals, Ryan Lindley will
NBC Sports 5:56 PM
Arians reportedly to go back to Lindley as starter - NBC Sports
ESPN 5:59 PM
Sources: Cards will start Lindley again at QB