First Prev
of 2
Next Last
What happened here

Silver City, NM

#1 Sep 22, 2011
I speak to people from other parts of the state... What I hear is that Silver City USED to be nice, that Grant Co. is very unfriendly, not at all like the rest of New Mexico, that Bullard St. Is nothing but a hangout for junkies, that people here cannot be trusted, that contractors in Grant Co. are all thieves, that the whole retrograde hippy scene is a joke, that these pretenders who've usurped the county have made it very unpleasant for newcomers or outsiders.
Who allowed this to happen? Why do they get away with it? Face it, Grant County SUCKS, and the rest of the state knows it! Drive to Las Cruces and people are friendly. In Grant Co. you might as well be in California or Paris.
Don't participate in their crap. Don't patronize business in the county if you can help it. Don't feed the rat!
BOYCOTT the whole damned county, even if you live in it! Otherwise it will only get worse.
non-resident trapper

Prairieville, LA

#2 Sep 23, 2011
I come to New Mexico most winters to trap in Catron County,if I go to a larger town to shop,I usually go to Socorro or I go to Show Low,Silver City never crosses my mind.I find the people there to be apathetic and unaware when it comes to having a friendly,hospitable tourist climate,even though the billboards and prices charged proclaim it to be a major tourist destination.Location in the Gila is all Silver City has going for it and somehow it is failing to cash in on this beautiful,natural wonderland.Attitude,attitude,a ttitude is killing Silver City,the elected officials,the Chamber of Commerce,the business community,and the majority of the citizens do not seem to realize it,even though it is blatantly obvious,do something about it!
Lorina

AOL

#3 Sep 23, 2011
Yeah, this town has really changed in the last 10 yrs or so. Part of it is the change of people moving in and out of here and the rest of the sociological aspects. But dig. I don't think it's just here. Tucson is friendlier than Phoenix. but that's the city. I have been amazed at the lack of people at local events anymore. I get times are tough, but geez. Is it really that scary to get out and meet people anymore? It's like people only socialize on FaceBook or on the phone, if you know anyone who lives in town. It constantly amazes me how one can live in a small town and not ever or hardly ever run into people one used to know or knows. And it amazes me how much sirens are heard in this town for the population there is. As for Mimbres, I haven't been out there in years. Seems to me like it's a closed circuit and has been for years. As for downtown, it's turned into a joke. Even the people who run the galleries get to wondering where all the 'tourists' and locals are. I remember how we were supposed to get all these tourists in town. I get gas is expensive, but damn. How's the motel biz in this town these days? And is Silver City a prime example of what most the rest the nation is like these days? Because I talk with relatives who live in other states and a lot of the crap that goes on here goes on where they live, be it in the country or in the city. And another thing. You can get news from all over the planet on the internet if you are interested. Just because we live in podunk doesn't mean we have to be stupid. Still, I vote that this town is becoming a strange, scared place. A place where people seem to be afraid of their own shadow. So sad.
What happened here

Silver City, NM

#4 Sep 24, 2011
Amen and amen.

Part of the problem many don't see is the inbred clique of pseudo-progressives who run things via their “shadow government”, which is to say non-profit grant-sucking committees which proclaim to be working to increase organic farming, improve nutrition for county children... but really, it's the same clique of 60-something hippies preserving their lifestyle bubble... and they don't CARE about tourists, about the majority of the county (or Silver City or Mimbres) residents, or anything but their pretentious more-sustainable-than-thou lifestyle.

It's going nowhere. They're accomplishing nothing. I am hearing the same complaints from here and from elsewhere about Grant County... so it's not just me.

Mimbres is an intense case of all this... people have been run out of the valley due to the attitudes and even open hostility of many, including the valley's “health action committee” inbreds, their small clique of friends, the little mini-power center at the Hot Springs Ranch commune, etc. Don't dance to their tune and they'll turn on you quickly.

And don't employ local contractors! Some serious ineptitude and malfeasance there! They see outsiders coming and I don't know if it's just about ripping them off or that they are actively involved in the conspiracy to run people out. Need a contractor? Go to Deming.
well

Cedar Crest, NM

#6 Sep 30, 2011
Well lets face it Silver City has changed. That change is do to Alex Brown.
cosmic troll

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Oct 1, 2011
Part of the problem and its only part of the problem is the local newspapers. Both the Silver City Press, and the Silver City Sun News are nothing but boring rags that tell you hardly anything and take at least 5 minutes to read. Also both papers do not want readers to read them on line as they now both charge for the service where most papers around the country do not. Reading the letters to the editor tells you a lot about a community and neither of them will allow comments to the articles. I know times are tough for newspapers in general because of papers on line but instead of getting with the 21st century both papers have chosen to remain in the past and expect their readers to do the same. As far as tourism goes Silver City doesn't have a clue what it means to be a tourist destination. Businesses close on Sunday and they go out of their way to make it hard for any kind of attractions to be better and make the visitors feel welcome. How pathetic.
Life long resident

Silver City, NM

#8 Oct 1, 2011
What happened here wrote:
I speak to people from other parts of the state... What I hear is that Silver City USED to be nice, that Grant Co. is very unfriendly, not at all like the rest of New Mexico, that Bullard St. Is nothing but a hangout for junkies, that people here cannot be trusted, that contractors in Grant Co. are all thieves, that the whole retrograde hippy scene is a joke, that these pretenders who've usurped the county have made it very unpleasant for newcomers or outsiders.
Who allowed this to happen? Why do they get away with it? Face it, Grant County SUCKS, and the rest of the state knows it! Drive to Las Cruces and people are friendly. In Grant Co. you might as well be in California or Paris.
Don't participate in their crap. Don't patronize business in the county if you can help it. Don't feed the rat!
BOYCOTT the whole damned county, even if you live in it! Otherwise it will only get worse.
What Silver City and Grant County need to do is get rid of all the idiot council and board members that aren't from here. They bitch that they left where ever they are from because they didn't like it but yet they are trying to make Silver City and Grant County just like it.
Pie Baker

Silver City, NM

#9 Oct 2, 2011
Ha, what a closed circuit, for sure. I was told "couldn't participate" in the Mimbres Harvest Festival as a vendor because I lived outside of Grant County!

Then I say don't even allow anybody to attend, pay money, buy your things, etc. who isn't from your little world. No advertising outside the Mimbres, either.

How stupid!
Serious malfeasance

Silver City, NM

#10 Nov 1, 2011
The ruling clique in the Mimbres blocks any attempt to do ANYTHING including business in the valley if it isn't controlled by them, centered at the Hot Springs Ranch Commune & Drug-Dealing Org.

They ran the Corner Store out. They've stopped community kitchens, feed store, and anything else. The Valley is their private preserve. Retirees moving in are preyed upon, often their land stolen. The Commune is expanding by stealing surrounding properties. Commune members are driving stolen vehicles from their ex-neighbors, one of them murdered. They run the Harvest Festival as a private preserve, likewise the Mimbres Farmers Market.

If you're not in their clique (and who would want to be?) forget it. As a result the largest orchard, several farmers, an organic cattle operation and others are doing business elsewhere, and if still in the valley are having nothing to do with the MVHAC/Commune gang.

These people are linked to the Silver City gang, with their ridiculous Food Coop, inbred stale hippy Bullard St. scene, corrupt non-profits, Farmers Market as their private club ignoring the actual PEOPLE of the county, etc.

SC Farmers Mkt had a meeting to vote on whether to move to a site which would actually serve the community, and a group of non-farmers showed up to vote it down... who are these people? These non-profit committees go to each others' meetings and accomplish NOTHING, but the grants keep flowing...

Grant County is plagued by this coterie of aging counterculture refugees from California mostly, who've created their own little enclave... all their proclaimed progressive effort are FAKE and a façade for their grant-scamming and inbred power tripping.

It's time the real community of Grant Co. vote out their politicians, demand state investigation of their criminal activities, and return the county to the people!

TEA PARTY... where the hell are you on this? You're still talking GOP BS like it's the 80's... get with the program! The PEOPLE would vote you into power here if you wouuld confront all this hippydip nonsense! WAKE UP!
Old Man

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Nov 8, 2011
everyone in Grant County act just like those ugly hoes on the Good Morning show, just watch that on T.V and you will see just how people in grant county act...its so funny oh yeah those two are gay just like most that live there
mike b1

United States

#12 Jul 31, 2013
I have been here 7 months now and can't wait to leave. It's the strangest group of people I have ever encountered. Unfriendly, bordering on hostile/rude people. Not all of course, but many more than I have encountered in the numerous places I have lived. These prickly people are across the board, White, Black, Mexican. I wonder how so many of them happened to end up in Silver?

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#13 Sep 20, 2013
It goes beyond rudeness.

What goes on in Grant Co. is criminal. Murder for land, cheating old folks out of their property, grants whose provisions are never fulfilled, malfeasance and graft at every level.

Who's the illegal herbal cures dyke with the hex house on land Johannes was killed for?

Where is Johannes' furniture? Where are his cars? Where is his money? All in the hands of Hot Springs hippy thieves/murderers.

Where'd you get that car, Yo?

Where'd you get that furniture, Juniper?

Where'd you get that land, Frankie?

And just what is in all those storage units in Mimbres?

STATE POLICE: take note... the local Sheriff is in cahoots with these freaks. Just look at ugly fat Richard the ex-sheriff... interesting who he hangs out with... LOL!!!

And the intense antisemitism in the valley among the hippies... the fibromyalgic nazi who uses "Jew" as an adjective, the ranting Oregan nutcase screamning "JEW!" at people...

WHY don't the decent people of Grant Co. stand up against these lowlife?
Observer

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Oct 18, 2013
What a hoot to read these posts. Especially the posts from Reserve. Reserve? Any town, anywhere on the planet, has got to be better than Reserve. lol
Daniel McEntire

Silver City, NM

#15 Oct 25, 2013
I moved from Phoenix to Silver City to attend WNMU. I have to say my experience has been different than that of others. I found the town and county to be much friendlier than Phoenix (where I came from), in fact I purchased a home and now call Silver home. I will agree on some of the business protectiveness, hard to break in a new business. I see many fail not because of their business but rather most are severely under-capitalized. I also see a huge disconnect between the university and the town/county, there should be a synergy there that is mutually beneficial. Yet I see no connection to the mines, medical field and other areas of practice. I believe this is a function of the old guard at the school which had been run as a local fiefdom by the greedy and incompetent. The new university president has made and continues to make progress in the right direction. I would also like to interject my own observation that the policing here is way out of hand. We have city, county and state cops all trying to justify there budgets for getting homeland defense monies. The unfortunate consequence is that the quota of the Silver City police dept. is around 100 arrests and citations a month, double what most quotas are. Now we have cops who arent old enough to shave, prowling around downtown writing citations for no seat belts, parking to far from the curb, and other minor transgressions. If we are trying to lure in tourists, that is definitely the wrong approach. I know I have a great interest in the town and county as this is my home, unfortunately we suffer from the same malady here as in the rest of the nation. Everyone agrees the system is broken but all anyone wants to do is complain about it, rather than to participate to make change.
AlmostLocal

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Oct 26, 2013
I've lived here for 25 years and, sure, the town has changed. The ebb and flow of people from different places does that. But I've met some fine people and made good friends here, from the ropers to the dopers to the bangers to the alt<lifestyle> folks. What perhaps separates me from other commentators is that I'm slow to judge others...just watch and see and let the chips fall where they will. Treat me decent and I'll return the favor.

The biggest problems I've seen over decades is the simple lack of businesses..to shop, eat or otherwise spend some money. When your downtown storefronts are half vacant, what are visitors to conclude except that SC is down on its heels? Which it is. Tourism is laughable in the face of so many empty commercial spaces.

At the same time, some locals (like those posting here) are so hostile to change that they'll refuse to patronize anything new and so the town doesn't change and new businesses fold quickly. It is not a garden spot for innovation of many kinds. And this is what needs to change.

By the same token, businesses operating on what I call the Silver City customer service ethos ("You want what? We ain't got it. You don't need it. Go home")can and do fold and this, too, needs to change. If I can mail order something quicker than you're willing to help me get it, believe me I'm not going to patronize your place of business.

But an unfriendly town it is not. I've had many a conversation with utter strangers that started with a simple "Hello."
gumby

United States

#17 Nov 18, 2013
What happened here wrote:
I just moved here and I have to agree, and I have lived all over the U.S. and am considered a very friendly, outgoing person. Strange people.
Faith

Dublin, CA

#18 Dec 2, 2013
I left Silver City in 07 after graduating from WNMU. I was a single Mom with a young son.. and I could not wait to leave! Mean, cold, cliques. It seems like the sun does not shine right on Silver City. Creepy, opportunist people who take advantage every chance they get. Lots of mentally ill end up in SC. and there seems to be no good help for them. Only thing I thought was exceptional is Guadalupe Montessori School.
Hawk

Silver City, NM

#19 Dec 4, 2013
I think that the unfriendliness of a self-appointed humble elite is just the point. If you are not submissive to this set who perceive their story to be good, then they will make themselves unattractive to discourage people who are not like them. The hub of this old-fashioned (not progressive) nonsense is the "community" co-op. An encounter with one of them is essentially an interview that determines whether you will be compliant or not.

Location hidden

#20 Feb 1, 2014
Hawk wrote:
I think that the unfriendliness of a self-appointed humble elite is just the point. If you are not submissive to this set who perceive their story to be good, then they will make themselves unattractive to discourage people who are not like them. The hub of this old-fashioned (not progressive) nonsense is the "community" co-op. An encounter with one of them is essentially an interview that determines whether you will be compliant or not.
Yep. And it is deeper than just an inbred social clique. They are up to a lot of no good. That coop receives big grant money, has 12 people in the back at once pretending to "work", yet a half-gallon of juice or a loaf of bread cost $6. And the nasty coop people will actively persecute everything they don't like, spread lies and rumors. The same people are linked to every non-profit group in the county as well as to city and county govts. They run the farmers markets in Sliver City, Bayard and Mimbres, and play the same game there.

And a lot of this is linked with criminal activity. The Hot Springs Ranch Commune in the Mimbres Valley is a criminal gang, linked to heavy drug dealing, murder for land, conning Alzheimer's patients out of their land (¿que no, Frankie?). They've killed a number of people and the Sheriff always manages to know nothing about it.

They killed a guy named Johannes, took his bank account, car, furniture, house. His sister showed up, having been told he had all this stuff for her to move here, and she found everything in the hands of Hot Springs hippies and their friends. The DA was in with them... it's not only the Sheriffs.

One of Johannes' killers is also a child molester... once convicted in Sliver City, but the Hot Springs "people" shield him, threw the kid's grandfather off the site for raising objections to the molestations

When Bayard developed a farmers market, the next year Mimbres folks moved in on it, went to the meetings, manipulated the process and got elected to run the market. EVERYTHING must be under the control of these hippycrites or it cannot happen.

Agencies from OUTSIDE are being contacted to investigate what goes on in Grant Co. Start with the GRANTS they get in the non-profits and then do nothing with the money. They never serve the community... only the inbred hippyclique. They actively stonewall anyone trying to develop REAL agricultural economy, real activities for the community that might involve the non-hippy immigrants, the local Mexicans, miners, real workers, etc.

Grant County I could just write off as another obnoxious town, another little piece of coastal California, but the malfeasance running rampant there cannot be ignored, and really should be dealt with. I do not bother speaking to people in the county about it... but the FBI has shown interest, and the appropriate agencies will be looking at some of these non-profits for their fraud, starting with the idiotic food coop on Bullard St.

Someone needs to clean up this rathole.

Location hidden

#21 Feb 1, 2014
If you're bored and want some amusement... go talk to ugly Elizabeth at the coop. LOL!!! That judgmental puckered holier-than-thou face is always good for a laugh, if you can stand the wildebeest appearance... coming or going...

She is only one of a whole clique of ABUSIVE a--holes who collude to make Sliver City SUCK.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 57 min Frijoles 69,386
Black Range Artist plan plein air show 17 hr I love the southwest 1
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Sep 11 FEDUPw-dumb-mean-... 45
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Sep 7 Tony 608
To ban or not to ban - the future of plastic ba... Sep 5 Yes 11
Mimbres Valley woman still missing Sep 5 Raquel Placencio 7
Review: High Country Collision Specialist Jul '14 Jeff 1
•••
•••
Silver City Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••