Hosts sought for Tour of the Gila racers

Hosts sought for Tour of the Gila racers

There are 17 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from Apr 16, 2011, titled Hosts sought for Tour of the Gila racers. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

Residents who want to get a behind-the-scenes experience of the SRAM Tour of the Gila could get that wish fulfilled as a local housing host for some of the racers, host housing coordinator Donna Clayton Walter said Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

JustMe

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Apr 23, 2011
If my budget doesn't allow me to travel I stay home. I don't expect someone else to pick up the bill. On the same note, soon it will be Professional Rodeo time in Silver City and I have never heard of them asking for a place to stay for free. But of course, they don't urinate on the side of the road as cars filled with young children pass by either.
rcgauer

Silver City, NM

#2 Apr 24, 2011
JustMe wrote:
If my budget doesn't allow me to travel I stay home. I don't expect someone else to pick up the bill. On the same note, soon it will be Professional Rodeo time in Silver City and I have never heard of them asking for a place to stay for free. But of course, they don't urinate on the side of the road as cars filled with young children pass by either.
The Rodeo is a great event, and a poor comparison for you to make. The cowboys arrive the day the rodeo starts, sleep in their trucks, and haul in their own hay.(Please ask any of the feed stores and hotels.) Most of the attendees to the rodeo are us... meaning there is little outside-in impact on tourism.

The Rodeo is an outstanding event.... and if the horseman's group could enlarge the rodeo arena, they'd sell even more tickets and have a better shot at bringing in outside-in money. That said, it brings far less new money into the community, whereas ToG consistently brings in visitors year 'round, and particularly in April and May. Some of the non-professional riders do look for housing, but they are still here for more than a week, buying food and entertainment. GRT and lodgers' taxes both get up off the floor in April and May, and ToG is one of several reasons why.
Just Saying

Silver City, NM

#3 Apr 24, 2011
Bull pucky ralph the tog does not bring in year round grt and lodgers - no event does that in silver city grant county or any city. What brings in visitors year round is year round marketing tog is a great event i predict that coverage and attendance will be down since armstrong will have no presence wish tog much luck they work hard
Socially Correct

AOL

#4 Apr 24, 2011
If the forest was rigged up for wi-fi, year round camping, hiking, etc could be advertised for the wilderness. Get all the geeks and survivor types out here. This area would be a good one for one of those reality tv shows. There's all sorts of back country. This area could have year around touristy type income if people thought outside the box and encourage a wider variety of interests to want to come and spend money.
rcgauer

Silver City, NM

#5 Apr 25, 2011
Just Saying wrote:
Bull pucky ralph the tog does not bring in year round grt and lodgers - no event does that in silver city grant county or any city. What brings in visitors year round is year round marketing tog is a great event i predict that coverage and attendance will be down since armstrong will have no presence wish tog much luck they work hard
Fortunately, the metrics on this issue are published monthly and are self-explanatory.
Just Saying

Silver City, NM

#6 Apr 25, 2011
So, where's the proof and link of the published metrics RALPH

“Silver City's Topix Editor”

Since: Jul 07

Silver City, NM

#7 Apr 25, 2011
Just Saying wrote:
I hate to burst your bubble Mr. Bull Pucky, but Ralph is right. The Tour provides benefits to the community all year round. For example: teams come here to train in the off-season-- Team Garmin comes here every winter, and there are others. Also, there is a tour company that runs bicycle vacations; people bike from San Diego to St. Augustine (or vice versa), and they always stop in Silver overnight.

Silver City is getting a reputation as a bike-friendly town... in spite of a few people who bitch and moan about it. Just remember: every penny this town gets from visitors in Lodgers Tax and GRT is one less that we residents have to shell out.
O-jeeze

Silver City, NM

#8 Apr 25, 2011
not to discount your published testamony i also would like to see these metrics.
Just Saying

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Apr 25, 2011
How many times a year are our hotels filled? I'm guessing for the bike race and the Blues Fest. Am I missing anything Mitch?

Silver City, NM

#10 Apr 26, 2011
Just Saying wrote:
How many times a year are our hotels filled? I'm guessing for the bike race and the Blues Fest. Am I missing anything Mitch?
I don't know if you're missing anything, but what *I'm* missing is your point. Are you saying that the only measure of success is filled hotels? If so, why should we bother with marketing at all? We can just beg Freeport McMoRan to bring in more workers and put them up in our motels, since *they're* the ones that often fill the rooms. Or maybe we can have the government create some more national holidays, because that's another time that the rooms are filled. Sounds silly, doesn't it?

Yes, I agree that year-round marketing is important, and this past year the members of the Lodger's Tax advisory committee made a point of highlighting those organizations that work toward marketing that is *not* event-based-- but as I said, the Tour is getting plenty of people here above and beyond the five days each year that it is held.

I also think you're wrong about this year's attendance; Lance Armstrong's participation in 2009 and 2010 literally put Silver City on the map, and as a result the Tour has gained credibility and a higher profile in the bicycle racing world-- and that will not change just because Lance won't be here this year. As long as the weather is decent on Saturday, attendance will be high and business will be booming.
Chilly Willy

Silver City, NM

#11 Apr 28, 2011
Just Saying wrote:
Graduation, both High School, and WNMU. But I also want to know Ralph who exactly gets befitted through the ToG? Not me or any of my neighbors, nor any of my friends. Maybe the gas stations? HEI For sure because every body needs an outdoor toilet. And apparently Ralph.
Chilly Willy

Silver City, NM

#12 Apr 28, 2011
MitchHellman wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if you're missing anything, but what *I'm* missing is your point. Are you saying that the only measure of success is filled hotels? If so, why should we bother with marketing at all? We can just beg Freeport McMoRan to bring in more workers and put them up in our motels, since *they're* the ones that often fill the rooms. Or maybe we can have the government create some more national holidays, because that's another time that the rooms are filled. Sounds silly, doesn't it?
Yes, I agree that year-round marketing is important, and this past year the members of the Lodger's Tax advisory committee made a point of highlighting those organizations that work toward marketing that is *not* event-based-- but as I said, the Tour is getting plenty of people here above and beyond the five days each year that it is held.
I also think you're wrong about this year's attendance; Lance Armstrong's participation in 2009 and 2010 literally put Silver City on the map, and as a result the Tour has gained credibility and a higher profile in the bicycle racing world-- and that will not change just because Lance won't be here this year. As long as the weather is decent on Saturday, attendance will be high and business will be booming.
"Lance Armstrong's participation in 2009 and 2010 literally put Silver City on the map. People who want this race to go away, Raise there hands by posting AYE.

Silver City, NM

#13 Apr 28, 2011
Chilly Willy wrote:
<quoted text>
Graduation, both High School, and WNMU. But I also want to know Ralph who exactly gets befitted through the ToG? Not me or any of my neighbors, nor any of my friends. Maybe the gas stations? HEI For sure because every body needs an outdoor toilet. And apparently Ralph.
You and your friends *do* in fact benefit; as I said above:

"Just remember: every penny this town gets from visitors in Lodgers Tax and GRT is one less that we residents have to shell out."

Now, of course if you'd _prefer_ to pay more taxes, be my guest.
Derrr

Silver City, NM

#14 Apr 28, 2011
MitchHellman wrote:
<quoted text>
You and your friends *do* in fact benefit; as I said above:
"Just remember: every penny this town gets from visitors in Lodgers Tax and GRT is one less that we residents have to shell out."
Now, of course if you'd _prefer_ to pay more taxes, be my guest.
I would not be bothered to pay a bottle deposit type of tax. That would at least get the empty beer bottles off the side of the road.
Go Figure

Silver City, NM

#15 Apr 30, 2011
MitchHellman wrote:
<quoted text>
truth be known, it IS the contractors who fill the hotels year round, truth be known, lodger tax committee is clueless about who markets year round take a CLOSE look at the lodger committee and their private agendas lisa who works for fayes company, mitch who has incorrect facts sandra who is hateful michelle who failed to participate because of a mayoral private agenda

you people are idiots clueless stupid failures
you people are STUPID and clueless about marketing focusing on your business successes and training your employees to have service skills would be a start your booming market should be your every day locals market, who have to go out of town to receive good customer service

Silver City, NM

#16 Apr 30, 2011
Go Figure wrote:
<quoted text>
truth be known, it IS the contractors who fill the hotels year round, truth be known, lodger tax committee is clueless about who markets year round take a CLOSE look at the lodger committee and their private agendas lisa who works for fayes company, mitch who has incorrect facts sandra who is hateful michelle who failed to participate because of a mayoral private agenda
you people are idiots clueless stupid failures
you people are STUPID and clueless about marketing focusing on your business successes and training your employees to have service skills would be a start your booming market should be your every day locals market, who have to go out of town to receive good customer service
Golly gee-- don't hold back; tell us how you *really* feel.
Just Saying

Albuquerque, NM

#17 May 1, 2011
Go Figure is pretty harsh, but there is some truth to the fact that I and my family, as many other neighbors we know, don't shop here. Yes, we must buy groceries, and we do. Also, we have the internet, Praise God. If you've spent your life here, you do not appreciate the attitude, combined with the high prices and rude service of our local businesses. We let the tourists provide business for Bullard. Let's not even mention how unsafe we feel in town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Jul 22 dGo mneDad lyHo i... 71,943
News Yankie Street whitewater Jul 13 Msgtdon 1
News Luna County enters Joint Powers Agreement for C... Jul 8 American Citizen 4
Federal law enforcement agencies conduct meth s... Jun 28 A view from me 3
News Luna County Commissioners plan to vote today on... Jun '15 Wizard_Not 1
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Jun '15 Tony 619
Review: Custom Steelworks Jun '15 A Volunteer 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Silver City Mortgages