16 accused of taking $574k in fraudul...

16 accused of taking $574k in fraudulent CYFD payments

There are 45 comments on the KRQE Albuquerque and New Mexico story from May 14, 2008, titled 16 accused of taking $574k in fraudulent CYFD payments. In it, KRQE Albuquerque and New Mexico reports that:

A former state Children, Youth and Families Department worker and several other Silver City-area residents are accused of defrauding the state of more than $500,000. Authorities say 34-year-old Andrea Munoz is ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KRQE Albuquerque and New Mexico.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
fondlildevil13

Albuquerque, NM

#1 May 14, 2008
thats crazy, they are going a way for awhile
ABQ Skeptic

Las Cruces, NM

#2 May 14, 2008
Book'em Dano and toss the key. Stealigng from the Welfard Dept. It's not like enough of that isn't already going on. Maybe this case will spark a statewide investigation. Who knows, maybe they will find several thousand illegal aliens collecting illegal money.
merryberry

Albuquerque, NM

#4 May 16, 2008
typical of these people...if you don't give it to them they will steal,kill or sue you...my gosh the welfare system and ALL employees need to GO...
LMAO

Silver City, NM

#5 May 27, 2008
Papers forgot to name one of the idiots!!!!they deserve the embarrassment. TAMMY JO DEAN aka Tammy Jo Rodriguez was among these losers!!!
xoxoxox

Silver City, NM

#6 Jul 10, 2008
LMAO wrote:
Papers forgot to name one of the idiots!!!!they deserve the embarrassment. TAMMY JO DEAN aka Tammy Jo Rodriguez was among these losers!!!
Everyone messes up and I wouldnt be quick to judge because you never know what stupid thing you or someone close to you might do!
xoxoxox

Silver City, NM

#7 Jul 10, 2008
so what comments get removed?
chop

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Jul 10, 2008
xoxoxox wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone messes up and I wouldnt be quick to judge because you never know what stupid thing you or someone close to you might do!
so, does this mean that you are in on ths little scam???
LMAO

Silver City, NM

#10 Jul 11, 2008
xoxoxox wrote:
so what comments get removed?
Yes, you are correct xoxoxo! nobody is perfect and we ALL make mistakes, but come on stealing from the CYFD..that is pretty pathetic! and I can guarantee you that I won't be doing anything that ignorant! and If someone close to me did what they did...then I would hope that they would get treated the way that they deserve because If they were stupid enough to do such a crime then they should pay the price!!! ITS CALLED HAVING MORALES!!! Boo freakn Whoo they got caught now they deserve to pay the price for their actions. To think that some of these criminals have degrees, my GOD did they get their degrees paid for as well with government money!
THESE PEOPLE NEED TO OPEN UP THE BIBLE AND MAYBE GAIN SOME MORALES AND LEARN A THING OR TWO!!! LMAO
Hey xoxoxo since you stopped by to defend these idiots are you part of the scam or RELATED? Give Tammy Dean and Andrea Munoz MY LOVE
LMAO

Silver City, NM

#11 Sep 26, 2008
So Tammy Dean got a slap on the hand jut like the rest of the criminals that TOOK money from CYFD...it figures. I would really like to know what their community service will be!! sitting in an office acting as an assistant somewhere..I would love to see all of them busting their butts off on the side of the road..doing hard work!! It's pretty sad to know that you can steal thousands of dollars from children and get away with it!!:0(
LMAO

United States

#12 Dec 29, 2008
money for services not rendered, 232 counts of conspiracy to commit paying or receiving public money for services not rendered and 246 counts of making or permitting false public vouchers.
The charges — all fourth-degree felonies — stem from an investigation into a five-year scam that Muñoz and 22 other local residents allegedly took part in that defrauded the department of more than $500,000.
Muñoz, a former employee of CYFD's Child Care Services Program in Grant County, was investigated for crimes that allegedly occurred between 2001 and 2006. According to court documents, she solicited 16 of the other defendants to agree to accept payments from CYFD for fraudulent baby-sitting services and split those payments with her. The Child Care Services program aids qualifying clients by paying for their day care with public funds.
Romaine Serna, spokeswoman for CYFD, said the funds taken total $574,000.
Muñoz pled guilty in June and was later sentenced in July to 10 years in prison, 10,000 hours of community and $100,000 in restitution. With good behavior, Muñoz will serve five years. District Judge J.C. Robinson ordered two years of parole and five years probation following her release.
Others also pleaded guilty to the scheme: TAMMY DEAN, 28, to five counts paying or receiving public money for services not rendered and one count of conspiracy to pay or receive public money for services not rendered; Renee Gomez Baeza, 36, to 26 counts paying or receiving public money for services not rendered and one count of conspiracy to pay or receive public money for services not rendered; Danny Muñoz, to four counts of paying or receiving public money for services not rendered and one count of conspiracy to pay or receive public money for services not rendered; and Crystal Ortiz, to 18 counts of paying or receiving public money for services not rendered and one count of conspiracy to pay or receive public money for services not rendered.
Erica

Silver City, NM

#13 Apr 13, 2009
So what ever happend with this whole situation? I used to attend college with a few of these people and of course being from Hidalgo county I know one or two who commited this crime. It's a very sad thing that they did this. There are other ways of getting what you want, but I guess they don't know right from wrong. We make our mistakes but this was really wrong of them.
M Rodriguez

United States

#14 Jun 28, 2009
I know this story has died down, but OMG did any of these people get any cummunity service? Shopping at Wal-Mart shouldn't be one of them. They aren't doing a damn thing, but probably sitting in an office, sitting on their butts. Is this the price we pay these days for stealing money? There are a few that did this that I know very well, and let me tell you they act as if their crap don't stink, they should be ashamed of themselves!
LOL

Santa Fe, NM

#15 Jul 2, 2009
We'll all forget this in 2 months. By that time some celebrity will have died and taken the headlines.

Where did they hide that money???
okay

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Jul 3, 2009
Well then show your discord in the next election of the sheriff’s office and put in a person not of the community by electing an outsider. I hear there is a police officer for silver city named spurgen that doesn’t care who you are if you break the law and I don’t think he from around here.
Frances Clark

Tucson, AZ

#17 Jul 5, 2009
Why don't people get together and protest in front of the Court House? Why don't you send a letter to the New York Times and ask for an investigative reporter to check into this?

This is sick. My niece had to fight for child care allotment when she was working and going to school at WNMU. This was during the time frame these arrogant sociopaths were collecting monies from your tax dollars.

They should be "under the jail" not "out of", as should that crackerhead Judge Robinson along with them. Who the hell was stupid enough to put him in that position?
M Rodriguez

United States

#18 Jul 8, 2009
It's just so sad that these people got away with it. My daughter worked her butt off to attend college and PAY for daycare, her time was taken away from her daughter so that she could go to school full time and work a full time job! while these fools stole money from CHILDREN. It's a small town of course so everyone knows everyone, so the word gets around about what these people are up to. I personaly have seen these people walking around with their head held high, and they should be ashamed of themselves. I know for sure of one that was supposed to be under house arrest, well shopping at the mall isn't house arrest, but I'm sure they felt sorry for her. Sad but true, another didn't even have to do time because she's married to a State Police Officer. So where is the justice, did they even have to pay back the stolen money? or did they get away with that too?
We want an apology

United States

#19 Jul 8, 2009
OMG I am so glad someone is talking about this scandal today. Everyone got over it like it was no big deal. I mean its hard not to be angry at these thiefs because this is Silver City and we all know everyone and see everyone around just like M RODRIGUEZ said. So when you see and hear of one these goofs going on vacation and so on it really angers you. They need to be locke up not going on vacation. Just like one of the comments said that they would like to see these people doing community service on the side of the road, not at Wal-Mart shopping. I’m not afraid to say names, I know Mrs. Tammy Dean oh too well and she‘s supposedly under house arrest, but from what I can see she’s NOT, WHY? Is it because her husband works for the State Police? That crap shouldn’t matter they need to give her what she deserves and her husband got away with some bulling himself and continues to be an officer. I don’t trust an officer that beats his wife. Do you? I understand everyone makes mistakes but damn some people can get away with whatever huh? Depressing. Once at a family outing my sister’s husband pushed her and she got overly dramatic, I mean I know he shouldn’t have laid his hands on her, but it wasn’t much but a push to get her away, but she called the police and next day he lost his job as a State officer! And according to some of Mr. Dean’s friends and family he beat Mrs. Dean badly there are pictures of her and the tapes of when she called 911. Oh well life is unfair I guess. I just hope I don’t ever get pulled over by him. I feel that the ones that stole all this money should have made a public apology, so how can we go about getting that done? I'm more than willing to make this happen.
Frances Clark

Tucson, AZ

#20 Jul 9, 2009
We want an apology wrote:
OMG I am so glad someone is talking about this scandal today. Everyone got over it like it was no big deal. I mean its hard not to be angry at these thiefs because this is Silver City and we all know everyone and see everyone around just like M RODRIGUEZ said. So when you see and hear of one these goofs going on vacation and so on it really angers you. They need to be locke up not going on vacation. Just like one of the comments said that they would like to see these people doing community service on the side of the road, not at Wal-Mart shopping. I’m not afraid to say names, I know Mrs. Tammy Dean oh too well and she‘s supposedly under house arrest, but from what I can see she’s NOT, WHY? Is it because her husband works for the State Police? That crap shouldn’t matter they need to give her what she deserves and her husband got away with some bulling himself and continues to be an officer. I don’t trust an officer that beats his wife. Do you? I understand everyone makes mistakes but damn some people can get away with whatever huh? Depressing. Once at a family outing my sister’s husband pushed her and she got overly dramatic, I mean I know he shouldn’t have laid his hands on her, but it wasn’t much but a push to get her away, but she called the police and next day he lost his job as a State officer! And according to some of Mr. Dean’s friends and family he beat Mrs. Dean badly there are pictures of her and the tapes of when she called 911. Oh well life is unfair I guess. I just hope I don’t ever get pulled over by him. I feel that the ones that stole all this money should have made a public apology, so how can we go about getting that done? I'm more than willing to make this happen.
Maybe "Officer" Dean beat old Tammy up because she would'nt share the stolen loot! She deserves a good beating. He deserves to get fired. Why dont the citizens start a petition? Oh well with the F is for ummmm "Fat" govenor in place this will continue. The government in New Mexico is no different than the government in Old Mexico.
I won't be surprised if "Country BOY" or "Observer" will post how the cops are being delt a dirty hand. That these thieves have "learned their lesson" just like OLD Mary Ann Carrillo Murillo Truillo etc. Prosecutor MARTINEZ can not count. The state paid out 4 times the cost of one trip. That is our tax dollars but hell its all a RAZA thing isnt it?
We want an apology

United States

#21 Jul 9, 2009
Frances Clark wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe "Officer" Dean beat old Tammy up because she would'nt share the stolen loot! She deserves a good beating. He deserves to get fired. Why dont the citizens start a petition? Oh well with the F is for ummmm "Fat" govenor in place this will continue. The government in New Mexico is no different than the government in Old Mexico.
I won't be surprised if "Country BOY" or "Observer" will post how the cops are being delt a dirty hand. That these thieves have "learned their lesson" just like OLD Mary Ann Carrillo Murillo Truillo etc. Prosecutor MARTINEZ can not count. The state paid out 4 times the cost of one trip. That is our tax dollars but hell its all a RAZA thing isnt it?
Too funny and sadly true!
LMAO

United States

#22 Jul 10, 2009
Too funny Frances Clark...what did they do with the loot??? Hahaha

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Thu Norbert of Norview 71,944
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Aug 21 Pied Piper 50
News A local intstitution Aug 14 EarthwrightsDesigns 1
Federal law enforcement agencies conduct meth s... Aug 1 dmac2030 4
News Yankie Street whitewater Jul '15 Msgtdon 1
News Luna County enters Joint Powers Agreement for C... Jul '15 American Citizen 4
News Luna County Commissioners plan to vote today on... Jun '15 Wizard_Not 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Silver City Mortgages