Hikers ready to 'get back to normal'

Hikers ready to 'get back to normal'

There are 17 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hikers ready to 'get back to normal'. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

Even "Good Morning America," couldn't sway them out of the comfort of home. After being rescued following nine days in the Gila Wilderness - and surviving a blizzard that slammed down on them in the middle of their planned five-day backpacking trip, with nighttime temperatures as cold as 15 degrees below zero - El Paso hiker and physicist Robert ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

FU Elkstine

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

#1 Jan 6, 2011
The Moron didn't want to go on the morning show because he was the reason all this happened. He may have been hiking for 20 years in his back yard and was lucky. He didn't file a plan with anyone, he didn't have the proper clothing, he didn't have a GPS, and he didn't pay attention to the weather. For that he could have been the reason for loss of life. Thank God it turned out the way it did.
I believe the hikers should have to complete a survival course and purchase a permit from the forest service before they set out on these life threatening adventures. After all hunters have to complete a safety course why shouldn't hikers? In everything in life "If you want to play, you have to pay" For you liberal jerks, I'm tired of footing the bill for the idiots.
These great people from the Search and Rescue who put their life on the line for these dumb asses need to be recognized for their efforts.
Kpod

Pennington, NJ

#2 Jan 6, 2011
It's amazing that so much attention has been given to these irresponsible people. How many fewer people would be dying in the border deserts if this much attention and effort was put in to lost and struggling migrants, looking for a better life?
Liberal mentality

Silver City, NM

#3 Jan 6, 2011
The reason this State does not compute the cost of a rescue such as this, is because it's run by a bunch of liberals who think it is "mean" to make a person responsible for their own actions. They have an excuse for everything. These days it is very easy to find out the weather forecast and to plan accordingly. Geez, I look at the weather before I go on vacation so that I know what kind of clothes to pack, and I don't go hiking on vacation!
Kpod: So, you think we should have this kind of rescue effort for every illegal that sneaks over the border??? Wow! Well, maybe you can donate millions of dollars to that fund so that that can happen, cuz the rest of us are fed up with paying for other peoples stupid actions, illegal activities, etc.
New Mexico Native

Auburn, IN

#4 Jan 6, 2011
To inject political idealogy into this is ridiculous in and of itself! LOL. Both Republicants and Democraps have had to be searched for before. Secondly, many search and rescue entities conduct training in order to stay prepared for these types of situations. As a result, said training missions also cost money. To assume that a lost person should have to foot the bill is just absurd. It's counterproductive to the good people who give freely of their time and resources to help out. I'm just curious to know how you are "footing the bill". Lastly, did you think hiking and camping only occurred during non-winter months?? For the record, I'm interested in an adult exchange, not a childish one where name calling and political ideology is concerned. Save that garbage for your ignorant cronies.
US Marine

Alpharetta, GA

#5 Jan 6, 2011
Liberal mentality wrote:
The reason this State does not compute the cost of a rescue such as this, is because it's run by a bunch of liberals who think it is "mean" to make a person responsible for their own actions. They have an excuse for everything. These days it is very easy to find out the weather forecast and to plan accordingly. Geez, I look at the weather before I go on vacation so that I know what kind of clothes to pack, and I don't go hiking on vacation!
Kpod: So, you think we should have this kind of rescue effort for every illegal that sneaks over the border??? Wow! Well, maybe you can donate millions of dollars to that fund so that that can happen, cuz the rest of us are fed up with paying for other peoples stupid actions, illegal activities, etc.
You should have watched the Repukes read the Constitution this morning...Maybe you would have heard the part about the government being responsible for the general welfare of all citizens...

Of course little Teabagger brains can't comprehend that little tidbit of knowledge and TRIED to bypass that section and not read it.

Know what you are talking about before opening your mouth for Johnny's apple seed...
I Can See For Miles

Silver City, NM

#6 Jan 6, 2011
It does seem weird that many of the numbskulls who get lost or trapped in the Gila are from Texas.
FU Elkstine

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

#7 Jan 6, 2011
New Mexico Native
It's folks like you that have this country all screwed up. lets just give everything away for free. FOOD STAMPS, GAS, FREE this and free that. All to a group of idiots that can't find their ass with both hands. How bout you foot the bill and we'll just watch. Again "If you want to play then you got to Pay". Just a little responsibility from the morons like you would make this a better place to live. I've had to pay for the mistakes i made in life. If you get a ticket for speeding, why should I foot the bill. If your house burns down because you left the fireplace unattended should i foot the bill? We could go on and on. These jerks that come to our state and play in our Mountains with out being prepared should have to pay for their dumb ass decisions.
New Mexico Native

Auburn, IN

#8 Jan 6, 2011
FU Elkstine wrote:
New Mexico Native
It's folks like you that have this country all screwed up. lets just give everything away for free. FOOD STAMPS, GAS, FREE this and free that. All to a group of idiots that can't find their ass with both hands. How bout you foot the bill and we'll just watch. Again "If you want to play then you got to Pay". Just a little responsibility from the morons like you would make this a better place to live. I've had to pay for the mistakes i made in life. If you get a ticket for speeding, why should I foot the bill. If your house burns down because you left the fireplace unattended should i foot the bill? We could go on and on. These jerks that come to our state and play in our Mountains with out being prepared should have to pay for their dumb ass decisions.
Clearly you missed the memo...I care little to engage in ignorant diatribe with the likes of an ill-informed person such as yourself. If you want engage in a hearty, worthwhile debate, I'm more than willing. What I will say is this, however, I did foot the bill every day for a portion of my life for you to have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I'm a proud veteran. My husband on the other hand is still "footing the bill". By virtue of that, who do you think takes care of things at home, while he is out "footing the bill"? I'm fairly certain we've paid more than our fair share for a lot of things. Just a few questions for you...do you drive on public roads? Have you ever had to call the police? Have you ever had to call the fire department? Did you go to public school? Whether you use these services or not they have to be paid for. Guess who pays? Homeowners. We all pay for community goods, i.e., public schools, highways, fire departments, police services, etc. Furthermore, unless you are in the very small portion of individuals who doesn't receive a tax refund at the end of the year you technically aren't "footing the bill" for anything.
Coach

Deming, NM

#9 Jan 6, 2011
OK, start making these guys "foot the bill". That'll show them. Then, when they get lost or stranded, as people undoubtedly will anyway, they can be fearful of the prohibitive cost of restitution and they will wait (or wander) out there until it goes from a search and rescue mission to a recovery mission. Who are you going to send the bill to then?

Should recreational hikers who become injured in an accident be held responsible? What about hunters who are injured? What about people who come upon someone who robs them? What about people who are attacked by animals? Should people see all these things coming with their GPS and trip itinerary?

We should educate those who choose to use the outdoors how to do it safely as much as possible. Even with that, accidents and bad decisions will still happen. Honestly, our schools are so busy giving tests that kids don't get experiences like this and few ever join Scouts. There are very few people who ever get properly trained in these things.
FU Elkstine

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

#10 Jan 6, 2011
I too served my country. 4 years worth. Guess what I did. I taught survival for our pilots going to Viet Nam. This why it tics me off. You want to talk taxes. I will right a check to our government for $70K this year so they can give it away to idiots on food stamps that spend it on drugs and booze. We are in a country fighting another war trying to find a rag head that we should have nuked in the first place. You liberals would have us spending, spending, spending with no accountability. Lets dump another couple million into the convention center, lets dump another 10 or 20 million into the wolf recovery, hell lets bring more Afgan people into the united states like they did the Viet Cong. Lets dump a couple of million into some space port thats only going to be used by the rich and famous. And you want to tell me that these poor lost souls should be rescued for free. Waste and more waste.
New Mexico Native

Auburn, IN

#11 Jan 6, 2011
FU Elkstine wrote:
I too served my country. 4 years worth. Guess what I did. I taught survival for our pilots going to Viet Nam. This why it tics me off. You want to talk taxes. I will right a check to our government for $70K this year so they can give it away to idiots on food stamps that spend it on drugs and booze. We are in a country fighting another war trying to find a rag head that we should have nuked in the first place. You liberals would have us spending, spending, spending with no accountability. Lets dump another couple million into the convention center, lets dump another 10 or 20 million into the wolf recovery, hell lets bring more Afgan people into the united states like they did the Viet Cong. Lets dump a couple of million into some space port thats only going to be used by the rich and famous. And you want to tell me that these poor lost souls should be rescued for free. Waste and more waste.
Your response lacks clarity and strays far from the point. It's a bit "straw-mannish". The bottom line is, search and rescue is a necessity as Coach from Deming so clearly pointed out. I just have to ask you one thing...suppose you were out hiking (let's assume you're an avid hiker who's completely prepared for the conditions) and for whatever reason you happen to twist your ankle and fall in a remote area. After search and rescue pulls you out, do you think you should foot the bill for your stupidity?? I mean after all, you're an adult who should know how to put one foot in front of the other, right?? Point being...$hit happens!

For the record, this isn't a liberal/conservative problem. With that being said, I find it difficult to believe that you will write a $70k check to the government and I'll tell you why. It's highly improbable that a person with the sort of income that would generate a $70k tax payment to the government would be spending his/her time posting grammatically incorrect posts on topix. Nonetheless, I digress.
Stupid is as stupid does

United States

#12 Jan 6, 2011
To both of you - this story is not about liberal versus conservative. This is a story about a complete waste of money.
Yes, NM Native, I hike. I also check the weather. I am also educated. Master's degree, so please, don't "digress".
These people, though I am thankful they are safe, used absolutely no common sense. It is great that they came through okay. But, CHECK THE WEATHER FORECAST before going out!! Not highly intellectual, just common sense.
Search and Rescue do an honorable job - many without pay. But the helicopters cost a lot of money. If someone gets hurts, that's one thing. If another person fails to use their brains, that's another.
This was a complete waste of resources and money. All people, not just Texan's - use common sense.
This child is suffering from injuries - frostbite, swollen ankle, being sick for 2 days with no food. How can anyone say a "hike" is worth it?
FU Elkstine

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

#13 Jan 7, 2011
New Mexico Native
Look lady if I wanted an English 1A critique I'd go back to school. Your points are based on your writing skills and not common sense. If you have ever spent one hour in the wilderness you would know, all the morons that the search and rescue saved last year(2010)broke basic rules. The point here is should they pay? The answer is yes. If they knew before hand that if they screw up they would have to pay for a rescue, wouldn't you think they would cross all their Ts and dot all their Is.
Or the way it is now" Lets go to the wilderness look for gold, anything happens, we can always get a free helicopter ride out"
Liberal mentality

Silver City, NM

#14 Jan 7, 2011
It's one thing for a true accident to happen (twisted ankle, animal attack, etc), but the point is, this unfortunate event WAS foreseeable. The weather forecast told us, almost a week in advance, that a HUGE storm was going to hit, and this guy ignored that. What resulted cost us, the taxpayers, a lot of money. It also put a lot of other lives in danger. All of those people out looking for him (paid and unpaid), put their lives on the line. And why??? Because of a moronic decision. You want to bond with your son in a snow storm?? Go back home, light a fire in the fireplace and drink some hot cocoa!!
US Marine: Yes, I did see not only the Republicans reading the Constitution, but also the Democrats. It sounds like that was offensive to you. And you were a Marine? Shame on you! As for the government being responsible for the general welfare of its citizens, guess what??? "We, the people" are the government!! That line in the constituion does not mean that we should be responsible for the stupid decisions some people make. That is what the problem with this country is, everyone has an excuse for their stupid decisions. "Well, gosh, I didn't know I couldn't afford a $1,000.00 a month house payment on a minimum wage job". "I shouldn't lose my home, the bank made me sign those papers and take out that loan" People winning law suits for spilling hot coffee on themselves, or for sticking their finger where it should never be stuck and blaming the manufacturer for not telling them they shouldn't stick their finger there!! It's getting ridiculous, and it's peoples attitude that the "government" is supposed to take care of us, that has made it worse.
New Mexico Native

Auburn, IN

#15 Jan 7, 2011
Stupid is as stupid does wrote:
To both of you - this story is not about liberal versus conservative. This is a story about a complete waste of money.
Yes, NM Native, I hike. I also check the weather. I am also educated. Master's degree, so please, don't "digress".
These people, though I am thankful they are safe, used absolutely no common sense. It is great that they came through okay. But, CHECK THE WEATHER FORECAST before going out!! Not highly intellectual, just common sense.
Search and Rescue do an honorable job - many without pay. But the helicopters cost a lot of money. If someone gets hurts, that's one thing. If another person fails to use their brains, that's another.
This was a complete waste of resources and money. All people, not just Texan's - use common sense.
This child is suffering from injuries - frostbite, swollen ankle, being sick for 2 days with no food. How can anyone say a "hike" is worth it?
Please tell me wth your education has to do with any of this. The point I'm arguing is that everyone pays for community goods whether we use them or not. As a result, it's counterproductive to complain about who should foot the bill when we all benefit from things such as search and rescue, public schools, etc. In essence, we all pay for everyone's stupidity...it's called insurance (which in principle works much like search and rescue). As for the helicopters costing money...they have to run whether they are actually needed or not. These costs are budgeted for in advance. I beg to differ that it was a "complete waste of resources and money" when 2 lives were saved. You can't put a price on that.
New Mexico Native

Auburn, IN

#16 Jan 7, 2011
Oh c'mon now. There is really no point in making this about me or you. SMH. I simply pointed out that your last post strayed far from the point. Nonetheless, I've spent countless hours in the "wilderness" as you call it and have thankfully never found myself in a terrible situation. Typically, it's first timers that end up making critical mistakes that result in search and rescue having to go out. Nonetheless, it's pretty ridiculous to think that anyone goes into the woods with the mentality that they can always get a "free helicopter ride out."
New Mexico Native

Auburn, IN

#17 Jan 7, 2011
FU Elkstine wrote:
New Mexico Native
Look lady if I wanted an English 1A critique I'd go back to school. Your points are based on your writing skills and not common sense. If you have ever spent one hour in the wilderness you would know, all the morons that the search and rescue saved last year(2010)broke basic rules. The point here is should they pay? The answer is yes. If they knew before hand that if they screw up they would have to pay for a rescue, wouldn't you think they would cross all their Ts and dot all their Is.
Or the way it is now" Lets go to the wilderness look for gold, anything happens, we can always get a free helicopter ride out"
Oh c'mon now. There is really no point in making this about me or you. SMH. I simply pointed out that your last post strayed far from the point. Nonetheless, I've spent countless hours in the "wilderness" as you call it and have thankfully never found myself in a terrible situation. Typically, it's first timers that end up making critical mistakes that result in search and rescue having to go out. Nonetheless, it's pretty ridiculous to think that anyone goes into the woods with the mentality that they can always get a "free helicopter ride out."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Jul 17 Tony 630
News Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Jun 27 AmPieJam UncleSam 5
News Twenty-five car pile-up leaves six people dead Jun '17 Budda Gojkovich 2
News Fiesta Latina heats things upJune 19th, 2017 Jun '17 I love the southwest 1
News 16-year-old student dies (May '07) Jun '17 Cherie griego 10
News Man caught hunting out of season fined $4k Jun '17 Bob 1
News Doctor accused of inappropriate exam behavior t... (Nov '09) Jun '17 Yimminy Rickets 356

Silver City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Silver City Mortgages