Minnesota ATVs claim a world record f...

Minnesota ATVs claim a world record for longest parade

There are 43 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 13, 2009, titled Minnesota ATVs claim a world record for longest parade. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

All-terrain vehicle riders are claiming a world record for their turnout Saturday in Silver Bay, on Minnesota's North Shore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bill Hicks

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jun 13, 2009
A world record for the ultimate in wasteful, polluting and self serving non-sense I have ever heard of. We cannot sustain humankind on this planet with this type of carp. I know this sounds all woo woo hippy-like but come on!?!?!
scott

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Jun 13, 2009
you all suck!!!!
Mrs R

Waconia, MN

#3 Jun 13, 2009
Disgusting.
jsf

United States

#4 Jun 13, 2009
we need to save these resources so the hollywood elite can use all the energy for their limos and private jets 5 heated mansions.
IbegToDiffer

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jun 13, 2009
Bill Hicks wrote:
A world record for the ultimate in wasteful, polluting and self serving non-sense I have ever heard of. We cannot sustain humankind on this planet with this type of carp. I know this sounds all woo woo hippy-like but come on!?!?!
Bill, lighten up a little.
Different strokes for different folks.
lobster68w

Dugway, UT

#6 Jun 13, 2009
Leave it to the 612'ers to complain about up north living. All your street lights are doing much more damage to this planet than those ATV's.
Crankenstein

Mankato, MN

#7 Jun 14, 2009
Bill Hicks wrote:
Bill, all roughly 300 million Americans could each run a car and an ATV round the clock for ten years straight and it wouldn't make one slight differnce to the planet. You Al Franken folks are losing the argument; the facts are clearly showing that having fewer solar flares (as we are now experiencing) impacts the climate....not burning fossil fuels. I see many wasteful uses of fuel every day; this is no more or no less of one. If your suggestion is that this is a poor use of personal resources (i.e their money), fine. If on the other hand you are suggesting that this impacts YOU in anyway/shape or form, you're just plain wrong.

Since: Jul 08

Brooklyn Park

#8 Jun 14, 2009
I misread the title, and thought it said HDTV's. Now that's something worth watching.

Brooklyn Park

#9 Jun 14, 2009
Crankenstein wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill, all roughly 300 million Americans could each run a car and an ATV round the clock for ten years straight and it wouldn't make one slight differnce to the planet. You Al Franken folks are losing the argument; the facts are clearly showing that having fewer solar flares (as we are now experiencing) impacts the climate....not burning fossil fuels. I see many wasteful uses of fuel every day; this is no more or no less of one. If your suggestion is that this is a poor use of personal resources (i.e their money), fine. If on the other hand you are suggesting that this impacts YOU in anyway/shape or form, you're just plain wrong.
So when we dry up the non-renewable resources, where do we get more?
Bill Hicks

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jun 14, 2009
Crankenstein wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, don't pigeon-hole me as being a democrat.

Second, there is no such thing as 'personal resources'. We are all connected and everything that is done on this planet effects everything on it.

Third, solar activity has very minimal effect and global warming and climate change. Earth's tempature continues to rise even though the Sun is current having a calm solar cycle right now.

Watch this and you can then compare your cherry picked facts with the facts from NASA and the Dept of Naval Research Laboratory.

(Pay attention at 3:23 & 6:45)
The D

Wautoma, WI

#11 Jun 14, 2009
Bill Hicks wrote:
I was out shooting carp the other day. I thought that was what the DNR want's us to do with them.
doomster

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Jun 14, 2009
One of the few articles posted this weekend and it's this boring crap. This is why people don't read newspapers anymore. Total waste of even electronic media.
LGA Larry

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Jun 14, 2009
at least we didn't set the record for highest taxes...yet.

Brooklyn Park

#14 Jun 14, 2009
lobster68w wrote:
Leave it to the 612'ers to complain about up north living. All your street lights are doing much more damage to this planet than those ATV's.
Do you get out much? You missed 763, 651, & 952.
I could include 507 & 320, but I'm assumimg your rage is against the more urban areas.

Brooklyn Park

#15 Jun 14, 2009
Bill Hicks wrote:
<quoted text>
Second, there is no such thing as 'personal resources'. We are all connected and everything that is done on this planet effects everything on it.
Third, solar activity has very minimal effect and global warming and climate change. Earth's tempature continues to rise even though the Sun is current having a calm solar cycle right now.
Watch this and you can then compare your cherry picked facts with the facts from NASA and the Dept of Naval Research Laboratory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =XjDXsOd29IgXX
Great video!! Greenman3610 is bookmarked now. Too bad you are preaching to the choir this time, but if a few more get the message.......
Crankenstein

Mankato, MN

#16 Jun 14, 2009
Bill Hicks wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =XjDXsOd29IgXX
Bill, with all due respect I would ask that you read William Gray, considered the world's leading expert on hurricanes on the subject of climate change. This "concensus" that is so spoken about isn't universal...I'll leave it at that.

Second, people certainly do have personal resources. Our minds and appendages (just two examples) are two resources which has put man atop the food chain. I'll agree with you that "Man's" actions can and do impact things around us; it is intellectually impossible not to. Your conclusion however is that utilizing dead organisms (fossil fuels) ONLY negatively impacts the world around us; I disagree. I'm unaware of any other animal on earth that has higer regard for the world in which it lives than the human. A Beaver constructing a damn can have enormous influences to a local ecology. Wild Buffalo, which once roamed much of the Great Plains had tremendously negative impacts. Birds spread disease, bugs destroy things....all of these "natural" actions have a place and we've learned to adapt. Why is it that when "Man" uses natural elements to help feed, protect and improve itself that this becomes unacceptable?

By the UN's own studies, global temperatures (mean) rose by .5 degree in the last 50 years. Who here thinks that global climate is static? Everytime you go to a Minnesota lake you witness the impact of glaciers melting. Go a little west (ND/Montana) and you can discover evidence that dinasaurs once roamed the Plains in what is described as a near Tropic environment. How could these two realities exist without climate change....and what marks the 21st century unique? Also, the solar cycle has been lessening recently and the thickening of ice (record accelerant in the Arctic as witnessed very recently) can thank this for happening. Humans have been tracking sun spots for four hundred years; check out the height of activity during that period of time.

If you want to see what can happen to a people, what can happen negatively to local ecologies....look to Africa; a continent as rich as any in natural abundance....a continent where the animals do not live in harmony and humans (also, don't forget a recognized member of the animal world), live in pestilance, poverty and perpetual war.

We sit with seemingly endless supplies of coal/oil shale; the only preventative placed in extracting and using this has been the political pressures place by modern leftists.
Rob

United States

#17 Jun 14, 2009
lobster68w wrote:
I agree. We could do with about half the street lights we have now with all the idiotic motion sensors that people have on their houses. And I notice that when I drive here and there in rural Minnesota all the small towns with street lights they don't need. That would apply to my hometown. Apparently it's a sign that you've 'arrived' at city-hood or something.

But none of this detracts from the cold hard fact that ATV's cause major environmental destruction on state lands. And they are a huge distraction to legislators and take funds for moronic single use situations when we should be focusing on more important environmental issues vital to ALL Minnesotans, not just those who want to make noise while ripping up the landscape, terrorizing the wildlife, and burning fuel while supporting their single minded, self-serving hobby.
Crankenstein

Mankato, MN

#18 Jun 14, 2009
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. We could do with about half the street lights we have now with all the idiotic motion sensors that people have on their houses. And I notice that when I drive here and there in rural Minnesota all the small towns with street lights they don't need. That would apply to my hometown. Apparently it's a sign that you've 'arrived' at city-hood or something.
But none of this detracts from the cold hard fact that ATV's cause major environmental destruction on state lands. And they are a huge distraction to legislators and take funds for moronic single use situations when we should be focusing on more important environmental issues vital to ALL Minnesotans, not just those who want to make noise while ripping up the landscape, terrorizing the wildlife, and burning fuel while supporting their single minded, self-serving hobby.
Hey Rob....I do not own an ATV and I agree that pouring millions into paths for them can seem single use but you're pointing the blame in the wrong direction.

Good folks of Minnesota, when time permits, PLEASE go back and dig up information pertaining to the Minnesota Lottery. You may recall that it was created for "environmental" purposes. In its first two years of existence, the legislature altered the language so that money was instead diverted to the general fund (a frequent ploy of Spendocrats). Then, after you get disgusted by the tens of millions of dollars that SHOULD have been available for bike trails, ATV trails, walking paths...ridiculously elaborate "interpetive centers" and conservation issues which instead went to God knows what, also look at what the Minnesota House/Senate has done in terms of natural resource spending.

Down in my neck of the woods, the DNR threw $800,000 recently toward a colosial public planning project in Mankato. In the past nearly 15 years, the DNR...under the DFL dominated capital, has been appalling in allocating money for natural resources. The issue shouldn't be that ATV trails are a "waste" and cut into things you think are more pertinent, it should be why this state, which perports to be so concerned about the environment, keeps sending back liberals who could care less about anything that isn't tied into "global warming".

Last but not least; we just passed the Lessard Amendment. Approximately $80,000,000 each year will be available for water cleanup and likely, some ridiculous environmentalist supported projects. We've had more than enough tax dollars raised over the past few decades to take care of what most of us believe to be Minnesota's greatest asset (outdoors). Unfortunatly, the House/Senate is 2/3rd dominated by a DFL party that will syphon most of those dollars if allowed into bogus, make-shift Keynsian economic "work projects".

Throw out the DFL......
this change sucks

United States

#19 Jun 14, 2009
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
last i knew people living in the rural areas werent getting free bus rides to your st.paul minneapolis liberal art centers that they're paying taxes for . give them back the taxes they pay on your garbadge and they can spend it on their own interests.not everyone is a fag that goes to penis exhibits in your city..
this change sucks

United States

#20 Jun 14, 2009
faig, peeeenis

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Findland Air Force Station (Jun '06) Aug 18 SEE 69
News Stowaway bear cub boards boat in Minnesota13 mi... Jul '16 next 1
News Bear on freighter Jul '16 next 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '15 Richard Vickerman 17
Review: City Of Silver Bay (Mar '14) Mar '14 cyd 1
News Northlanders Will Vote On City Sales Taxes and ... (Nov '12) Dec '12 Willy Nelson 2
News Taconite rebounds on the Iron Range (Mar '11) Mar '11 Pedro 35

Silver Bay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Silver Bay Mortgages