Layoffs averted at taconite mine in n...

Layoffs averted at taconite mine in northeastern Minnesota

There are 7 comments on the story from Nov 4, 2008, titled Layoffs averted at taconite mine in northeastern Minnesota. In it, reports that:

Workers at United Taconite's operations in Forbes and Eveleth have agreed to reduced hours in a bid to avert layoffs.

Join the discussion below, or

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#1 Nov 4, 2008
Unfortunately I thnk this is just stalling the inevitable. Case in point, 1982. That's why I'm a "former" Ranger, been there, done that.
John - St Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Nov 4, 2008
They ain't seen nothin' yet! If Obama/Biden ban coal use, the iron ore/taconite industry will be like the recession in the late 1970's. If that happens, too damn bad as they voted their own demise. I'll hate to see what happens to the cost of electricity, heating our homes and who knows what else as the costs of other energy types will sky-rocket. We have more clean-coal than any other country on the planet. We have mountains of it and the primary GHG is gives off is harmless, inert CO2. You know, the CO2 that even if doubled in percentage in the atmosphere would have a negligible if any effect. But CO2 output makes an excellent scapegoat to control every aspect of our energy use, redistribute wealth and control the economy and our lives as well.
Good luck, Iron Rangers. You may have just won the permanent retirement prize and the end of your era.

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Nov 4, 2008
Former Ranger, I have to agree with you. I too am a former Ranger, hubby worked at Minntac till the great fall of the mines in 1982. When they started firing up again family and friends said, move back. Sorry hubby now has 21 years in with City of Minneapolis, not going to give that secure job up. Seems it is all crumbling again. This is just the start unfortunately.
Elvis Presley

United States

#4 Nov 4, 2008
John from st. paul is a fool. coal will never be banned. phased out maybe. banned never. oil will run out before coal is banned you hun nuk.

Brookfield, WI

#5 Nov 4, 2008
Elvis sounds like another bitter, liberal name caller with no solutions. To bad there are so many like you.

Capron, IL

#6 Nov 4, 2008
i hope people are ready for the Obama recession ...

Me? i don't care. i don't care about anything.
Elvis Presley

United States

#7 Nov 4, 2008
wild fan sounds like another stir the pot anonymous coward. liberals are fine im voting for obama. on the other hand i will avoid that stupid clown dufus al franken like the plague. Norm and his fake choppers may not be much but they are better than that annoying cancer franken.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Findland Air Force Station (Jun '06) Tue JoLynn Cafferty 70
News Stowaway bear cub boards boat in Minnesota13 mi... Jul '16 next 1
News Bear on freighter Jul '16 next 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '15 Richard Vickerman 17
Review: City Of Silver Bay (Mar '14) Mar '14 cyd 1
News Northlanders Will Vote On City Sales Taxes and ... (Nov '12) Dec '12 Willy Nelson 2
News Taconite rebounds on the Iron Range (Mar '11) Mar '11 Pedro 35

Silver Bay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Silver Bay Mortgages