Lawyer for Superior cop: Driver fabri...

Lawyer for Superior cop: Driver fabricated road-rage story

There are 6 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 28, 2009, titled Lawyer for Superior cop: Driver fabricated road-rage story. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Philip Hoberg overcame some juvenile delinquency problems to go on to graduate with honors from the University of Michigan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Mad Dog Gus

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jan 28, 2009
I fought a speeding ticket in Lake County, and I can tell you with certainty. Russ Curnow as prosecuting attorney, and Kenneth Sandvik as Judge will find Magnuson guilty, no matter what evidence is produced.

They will stop at nothing to assure a guilty verdict, and then go out for coffee and laugh about it.

If you're charged with anything in Lake County, plead guilty and hope for a reduced fine/sentence. They sold out to evil years ago!
No spine zone

Forest Lake, MN

#2 Jan 28, 2009
Mad Dog Gus wrote:
I fought a speeding ticket in Lake County, and I can tell you with certainty. Russ Curnow as prosecuting attorney, and Kenneth Sandvik as Judge will find Magnuson guilty, no matter what evidence is produced.
They will stop at nothing to assure a guilty verdict, and then go out for coffee and laugh about it.
If you're charged with anything in Lake County, plead guilty and hope for a reduced fine/sentence. They sold out to evil years ago!
I agree with you completely. I my self have seen how these cops work up there and you are correct.

“it takes a lot to laugh...”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#4 Jan 28, 2009
Yes they are all out to get you both!!!
No spin zone

Forest Lake, MN

#5 Jan 28, 2009
Rockin John wrote:
Yes they are all out to get you both!!!
Johnny they are out to get anyone. It's a money issue up there. They need more of it and the people driving through have it.
Defamatory Content Notice

Duluth, MN

#7 Jan 30, 2014
Defamatory Content will be reported to Authorities.
Defamation
Defamation—also called calumny, vilification, or traducement—is the communication of a false statement that harms the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government, religion, or nation. Most jurisdictions allow legal action to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism.
Under common law, to constitute defamation, a claim must generally be false and have been made to someone other than the person defamed.[1] Some common law jurisdictions also distinguish between spoken defamation, called slander, and defamation in other media such as printed words or images, called libel.[2]
Similar to defamation is public disclosure of private facts, which arises where one person reveals information that is not of public concern, and the release of which would offend a reasonable person. "Unlike [with] libel, truth is not a defense for invasion of privacy."[3][not verified in body]. False light laws protect against statements which are not technically false but misleading.[4]
In some civil law jurisdictions, defamation is treated as a crime rather than a civil wrong.[5] The United Nations Commission on Human Rights ruled in 2012 that the criminalization of libel violates freedom of expression and is inconsistent with Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.[6]
A person who defames another may be called a "defamer", "famacide", "libeler" or "slanderer".
Contents [hide]

The common law origins of defamation lie in the torts of "slander" (harmful statement in a transitory form, especially speech), each of which gives a common law right of action.
"Defamation" is the general term used internationally, and is used in this article where it is not necessary to distinguish between "slander" and "libel". Libel and slander both require publication.[7] The fundamental distinction between libel and slander lies solely in the form in which the defamatory matter is published. If the offending material is published in some fleeting form, as by spoken words or sounds, sign language, gestures and the like, then this is slander.
Libel[edit]
Libel is defined as defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.[8] The law of libel originated in the 17th century in England. With the growth of publication came the growth of libel and development of the tort of libel.[9]
Cases involving libel[edit]
An early example of libel would be the case of John Peter Zenger in 1735. Zenger was hired to publish New York Weekly Journal. When he printed another man's article that criticized William Cosby, who was then British Royal Governor of Colonial New York, Zenger was accused of Seditious Libel.[10] The verdict was returned as Not Guilty on the charge of seditious libel, having proved that all the statements Zenger had published about Cosby had been true, so there was not an issue of defamation. Another example of libel would be the case of New York Times Co. v. Sullivan (1964). The U.S. Supreme Court overruled a State court in Alabama that had found The New York Times guilty of libel for printing an advertisement that criticized Alabama officials for mistreating student civil rights activists. Even though some of what The Times printed was false, the Court ruled in its favor, saying that libel of a public official requires proof of Actual Malice, which was defined as a "knowing or reckless disregard for the truth".[11]
How to prove libel[edit]
News Team

Duluth, MN

#9 Jan 31, 2014
The police officer was convicted in this case with the help of witnesses against the cops story, including his wife, and two other people who witness the off-duty officers misconduct. He was sentenced to jail and other penalties. Apparently, he had had these kind of rage incidents before.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Findland Air Force Station (Jun '06) Apr '16 Ray Stack 68
White Male Privilege Mar '16 Goober 1
News 10 years after Antonich's murder, the pain lingers (Apr '07) Feb '16 Bulldog 53
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '15 Richard Vickerman 17
Review: City Of Silver Bay (Mar '14) Mar '14 cyd 1
News Northlanders Will Vote On City Sales Taxes and ... (Nov '12) Dec '12 Willy Nelson 2
News Taconite rebounds on the Iron Range (Mar '11) Mar '11 Pedro 35
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Silver Bay Mortgages