Minn. veterans homes to get controver...

Minn. veterans homes to get controversial TVs

There are 34 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Oct 23, 2009, titled Minn. veterans homes to get controversial TVs. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Thirteen flat-screen TVs that Gov. Tim Pawlenty ordered removed from a Minnesota sex offender treatment facility will wind up in veterans homes instead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 09

Lincoln, NE

#23 Oct 23, 2009
Workaday Oakdale Brother wrote:
I'm *totally pro-vet*(I have several in my family), but aren't veterans homes *federal* entities and not state entities?
If so, it seems odd for a man who officially preaches state fiscal restraint to give such expensive items to a federal entity.
The "VA" is federal, but Veteran's homes are usually run by the state. I'm sure they receive some reimbursement from the VA, but each state is responsible for its own veteran's homes.
CAD

Minneapolis, MN

#24 Oct 23, 2009
Thank you Governor Pawlenty. The MN prisons are to comfortable for imates. As a PO, parolee's tell me, Mn is the state you want to serve your time.
Das-Boot

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Oct 23, 2009
Workaday Oakdale Brother wrote:
I'm *totally pro-vet*(I have several in my family), but aren't veterans homes *federal* entities and not state entities?
If so, it seems odd for a man who officially preaches state fiscal restraint to give such expensive items to a federal entity.
Workaday, Don't over think it. You might actually give him an out and then our vets won't get these TV's!

It is so rare to see T-Paw show even the slightest bit of compassion for people. I almost can't believe I am saying this.... Thank you T-Paw!
Just me

South Saint Paul, MN

#26 Oct 23, 2009
To Workaday Oakdale Brother - the vets homes are state entities, the VA Medical Center is federal.

Good for the vets. The heros of our country deserve the best!
hurray

Saint Paul, MN

#27 Oct 23, 2009
finally something was done right in our goverment system . prisoners get treated better then our elderly who have to make the desicion should i eat or get my meds, our vets who dont get good healthcare,the prisoners get a college education and healthcare at our costs ,they also get work out rooms ,nice holiday meals , what about our homeless children,our elderly and our college students that are trying to make something of themselves but can barely afford tuition .......
yeah pawlenty
T paw publicity op

Saint Paul, MN

#28 Oct 23, 2009
Before everyone champions King Pawlenty as the savior of all good and holy, why don't you ask him who got the contract to determine how federal stimulus funds would be spent in MN to promote more access to high speed broadband and bypassed a state board entirely in doing so? If you guessed the telecommunications industry received the funds- you win a prize! T-Paw's political backers are the benefactors of everything he does. This TV's thing is petty change compared to the deception T-Paw sponsors every day. Are people really this gullible? Yes, vets good, sex offenders bad. DUH!!!!
Smartone

Minneapolis, MN

#29 Oct 23, 2009
Javier wrote:
Ooohhh, the libs are going to be P.o'd! Good! I hope he names the people responsible for the purchase too. It boggles the mind that such purchase would be made for societies lowest life forms. Oh, wait, unless this place is run by the same people who actually believe they can be rehabilitated...Democrats.
hey idiot you got it a little bit wrong. I am as strong of DEM as can be and I am way against TVs for these terrible people. BUT look moron it was pawlenty who bought them to begin with. his watch, his admin staff etc........

Since: Aug 09

Saint Paul, MN

#30 Oct 23, 2009
T paw publicity op wrote:
Before everyone champions King Pawlenty as the savior of all good and holy, why don't you ask him who got the contract to determine how federal stimulus funds would be spent in MN to promote more access to high speed broadband and bypassed a state board entirely in doing so? If you guessed the telecommunications industry received the funds- you win a prize! T-Paw's political backers are the benefactors of everything he does. This TV's thing is petty change compared to the deception T-Paw sponsors every day. Are people really this gullible? Yes, vets good, sex offenders bad. DUH!!!!
I'm glad he let someone who knew what they were doing decide how to spend the funds. If the 'state board'(which I assume you are an employee of) were to do it, we could be sure of 3 things:

1) It would take forever
2) It would cost everyone money
3) The decisions would be iffy, at best
Numbskulls

Minneapolis, MN

#31 Oct 23, 2009
Hurray! Excellent use for these TV's that never should have been bought for a bunch of sexual deviants, typical dumb thinking DFLers. Way to go Governor!
SunShine

Saint Paul, MN

#32 Oct 23, 2009
If you can even follow the sings to get there!

Have you seen the Vet's Home sign on Minnehaha?

Must have been put there about 1960! Ya can even read it!

Too bad most times in this Whiney Wonderland of Minnesota, that those that gave the most, generally receive the least!
Workaday Oakdale Brother

Saint Paul, MN

#33 Oct 23, 2009
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.:)
The Real Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
The "VA" is federal, but Veteran's homes are usually run by the state. I'm sure they receive some reimbursement from the VA, but each state is responsible for its own veteran's homes.
Workaday Oakdale Brother

Saint Paul, MN

#34 Oct 23, 2009
Good points!
Das-Boot wrote:
<quoted text>
Workaday, Don't over think it. You might actually give him an out and then our vets won't get these TV's!
It is so rare to see T-Paw show even the slightest bit of compassion for people. I almost can't believe I am saying this.... Thank you T-Paw!
Dog

Somerset, WI

#35 Oct 24, 2009
Nice job GOV.....
Javier

Saint Paul, MN

#36 Oct 24, 2009
Smartone wrote:
<quoted text> hey idiot you got it a little bit wrong. I am as strong of DEM as can be and I am way against TVs for these terrible people. BUT look moron it was pawlenty who bought them to begin with. his watch, his admin staff etc........
Wow, you imbeciles are out in force. It wasn't Pawlenty's decision to buy them, and no one in his direct charge bought them. So pull your head out before you call me the names, got it, Smartone?!(Smart one,...thats f'n rich.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Two Harbors, MN (Dec '12) Aug 20 jason 4
Findland Air Force Station (Jun '06) Jul '15 mdcrawford 62
News 10 years after Antonich's murder, the pain lingers (Apr '07) Jul '15 peace be with you 51
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '15 Richard Vickerman 17
Review: City Of Silver Bay (Mar '14) Mar '14 cyd 1
News Northlanders Will Vote On City Sales Taxes and ... (Nov '12) Dec '12 Willy Nelson 2
News Taconite rebounds on the Iron Range (Mar '11) Mar '11 Pedro 35
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Silver Bay Mortgages