Taconite rebounds on the Iron Range

Minnesota's iron ore industry has bounced back to full speed this spring, less than two years after hitting rock-bottom - one of the fastest turnarounds in a century of mining. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Get A Job!!”

Since: Mar 11

Eden Prairie

#1 Mar 28, 2011
Another government supported business that of course is union. If these mines are so productive than why does the state have to give them so many incentives. The taconite business has been dead for thirty years. But our state government insists on giving them money.
ranger

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Mar 28, 2011
Makes my day to read this - I'm so happy for the people up there. Finally some hope and reason to celebrate.
Mark Edwards

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Mar 28, 2011
I am glad to see that something is getting better and more folks are able to get to work.
JRinWoodbury

Cottage Grove, MN

#4 Mar 28, 2011
The state does not subsidize the taconite industry. The state collects $2.36 per ton of taconite production. With 49 million tons produced in 2010 that $94 million dollars brought in to our state government, not to mention that the jobs pay union wages, which are also taxed, plus all the service jobs that are needed to keep the plants running and keep the workers fed and housed.
Fish

Rock Island, IL

#5 Mar 28, 2011
3600 workers?
Wow, what a ground breaking stimulus to that economy which is 90% tourism oriented.
Ever been up there to those taconite towns? Not much to see or do until you get away from them.
This story headline should actually read; "Area Iron Business Gets More Profits With Temporary Demand".
Do a real story about the massive clearcut deforestation in the arrowhead generations ago.
Perhaps a nice exposure about the displacement of the Ojibwe to take the resources could be posted.
What am I thinking though, that would just be the truth.
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Mar 28, 2011
I would imagine the bleeding heart liberals will take credit for this. It's really amaizing that 75% of the work force has diminished because of foreign imports, but all you hear from the politicians on the Range is oh, this is terrible. We will re-train you for something different... Oh by the way, this means you will have to move off the Range and relocate...
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Mar 28, 2011
Fish wrote:
3600 workers?
Wow, what a ground breaking stimulus to that economy which is 90% tourism oriented.
Ever been up there to those taconite towns? Not much to see or do until you get away from them.
This story headline should actually read; "Area Iron Business Gets More Profits With Temporary Demand".
Do a real story about the massive clearcut deforestation in the arrowhead generations ago.
Perhaps a nice exposure about the displacement of the Ojibwe to take the resources could be posted.
What am I thinking though, that would just be the truth.
You have no clue what about the forest industry.....Those clear cuts created jobs and helped re-establish wildlife. So keep you stupid comments to yourself...
wtf

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Mar 28, 2011
Rick wrote:
I would imagine the bleeding heart liberals will take credit for this. It's really amaizing that 75% of the work force has diminished because of foreign imports, but all you hear from the politicians on the Range is oh, this is terrible. We will re-train you for something different... Oh by the way, this means you will have to move off the Range and relocate...
Diehard conservatives are more than happy to give liberals the blame when things go south.
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Mar 28, 2011
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>
Diehard conservatives are more than happy to give liberals the blame when things go south.
Truth hurts doesn't it?
Ratbag

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Mar 28, 2011
MINNESOTA MAKES AND THE WORLD TAKES! I love it! Go Rangers!
KellyStPaul

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Mar 28, 2011
I do not understand why anyone would slime this article or employment gains. How are more jobs a bad thing? The renewed payrolls help the local communities (and the state). And the ore headed out-of-state creates more jobs within the region. As well, this is a great example of management and labor reducing the impact of economic swings on this industry.

Since: Jan 09

USA

#12 Mar 28, 2011
We get no more support from the state then anyone else. You just stole another 60 mil. from the IRRRB again, that make about 600 mil. over the last 25 years, money that would have been invested in business and jobs not hand outs. They are building a steel mill and that money would have helped move things along not to mention the copper,nickel and titanium mining thats starting up. These are very good hard working people that also play hard in what God has blessed us with up here. We are here because we wish to live here and yes many of our freinds had to leave, but we persevere. AS I sit her writing this I look out at my lake and watch the ice break, this time of year the lake comes alive whith groans and cracks as it stretches and wakes up from a long winters sleep. In a little while I will go play and train my new 1 year old yellow lab to get her ready for the fall bird seasons, nothing to do, sorry,son,but sounds like a coach potato talking to me. Tere are lots of things to do where ever you live, you have to get out and look for them.
Walleye

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Mar 28, 2011
Kudos to the Minnesota Industry leaders up there. Good news and continued success to you guys. Caution: Don't let the politicians interfere to much with business, taxes, or regulations.
Jessie

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Mar 28, 2011
The mines replant Trees which in turn help the lumber industry. The mine supported my family. It has been boom or bust. Basically a hard life. If you did not grow up on the range at the very least check your information before you post something inflamitory
TheGolfGuy

Ocoee, FL

#15 Mar 28, 2011
Isn't anyone going to give president Obama credit for turning the economy around?
Bob

Minnetonka, MN

#16 Mar 28, 2011
TheGolfGuy wrote:
Isn't anyone going to give president Obama credit for turning the economy around?
No, no we will not.
Jake

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Mar 28, 2011
Jessie wrote:
The mines replant Trees which in turn help the lumber industry. The mine supported my family. It has been boom or bust. Basically a hard life. If you did not grow up on the range at the very least check your information before you post something inflamitory
I grew up on the Range and left the mine after major lay offs....So there I qualify...
Richard Head

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Mar 28, 2011
Glad to see it!
Pedro

Woodruff, WI

#19 Mar 28, 2011
Do they hire Mexicans. Me and my friends will work the mines for ten bucks an hour!
wow

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Mar 28, 2011
KellyStPaul wrote:
I do not understand why anyone would slime this article or employment gains. How are more jobs a bad thing? The renewed payrolls help the local communities (and the state). And the ore headed out-of-state creates more jobs within the region. As well, this is a great example of management and labor reducing the impact of economic swings on this industry.
Because the GOP hates anything that positively happens during the Obama administration. They are just livid right now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Findland Air Force Station (Jun '06) Oct 10 don bringman 53
Debate: Marijuana - Two Harbors, MN (Dec '12) Sep 24 THSucks 2
Review: City Of Silver Bay (Mar '14) Mar '14 cyd 1
Northlanders Will Vote On City Sales Taxes and ... (Nov '12) Dec '12 Willy Nelson 2
Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) May '12 Paul G Christensen 16
Airborne deer slams unlucky Duluth jogger (Mar '11) Mar '11 Hard Rock Miner 20
Winter Weather Advisory for Lake County startin... (Jan '11) Jan '11 ksstormhunter 1
Silver Bay Dating
Find my Match

Silver Bay Jobs

Silver Bay People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Silver Bay News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Silver Bay

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]