Atheist meet up group.

“Fully-gruntled”

Since: Feb 11

tahlequah, OK

#1 Oct 16, 2011
Hello, I am an atheist and I was thinking about starting a freethinkers meet up group to meet and do something special maybe once a month. We will probably eat at a local place and have meetings where we can discuss topics that interest us. post here if you are interested or have any suggestions, nothing is set in stone yet.
what

Siloam Springs, AR

#2 Oct 16, 2011
Have you even attempted to understand who Jesus Christ was? Or how much better your life becomes when you get to know Him? Knowing you have a 2nd life after your body dies, it's a huge feeling of greatness,(certainly more appealing than just knowing you'll be food for the worms)!
Give it a shot before spreading your belief of atheism to others.

“Fully-gruntled”

Since: Feb 11

tahlequah, OK

#3 Oct 16, 2011
what wrote:
Have you even attempted to understand who Jesus Christ was? Or how much better your life becomes when you get to know Him? Knowing you have a 2nd life after your body dies, it's a huge feeling of greatness,(certainly more appealing than just knowing you'll be food for the worms)!
Give it a shot before spreading your belief of atheism to others.
This is not the place for this. I'll be happy to discuss this with you but not here, I made this topic to reach out to fellow atheists, agnostics, skeptics and freethinkers. You can find me on facebook. My name is chad haeberle.

“Fully-gruntled”

Since: Feb 11

tahlequah, OK

#4 Nov 1, 2011
Alright, seems like this isn't going anywhere So I guess I'll respond to What's post.

Yes I have attempted to understand who jesus was. There is no afterlife and thinking there is one does not improve life in any way, in fact just the opposite.

If there is an afterlife, it devalues the life we are living right now. Without an afterlife this life is far more important. Without an afterlife to look forward to there is more reason to take advantage and make the most of the life we have and do what we can to make life better for future generations because when we die thats it. Say everything you need to say to the people you love now, you won't get another chance once you or they are dead. Spend time with the people you care about because when they are gone you will never see them again. Do you understand how an afterlife makes this life less valuable than it really is? And what is this life if there is an afterlife, just one long test? Thats not a life I would want to live. If that were the case you could just waste your entire life ensuring your spot in heaven and doing whatever you can to increase your odds of death while not directly committing suicide so you can get to heaven faster.

And lets expand on this a little bit. Lets not pretend that christianity is the ONLY religion, or even that there is only one denomination of christianity because that certainly isn't the case and there are many denominations that condemn other denominations. Anyone from any sect of any religion can say the same thing you just did in favor of their own beliefs.
Outs

Lincoln, AR

#5 Nov 1, 2011
While I think it's a nice idea to start up a group of non believers, I don't see it happening too smoothly. Especially in this area. There are not many atheists around, and it looks like we're going to me discriminated against the more we try and be open in our beliefs. I don't think you were trying to "spread your belief" on anyone as "what" said, just meet others like you, but this is the first reaction of most people, even, "true Christians".

“Fully-gruntled”

Since: Feb 11

tahlequah, OK

#6 Nov 4, 2011
I wasn't trying to spread anything, just get a few people together to go to lunch once a week, or meet in the park or something to talk about recent news and things. Maybe eventually develop it into an organization and rent a space to have guest speakers and events. This is exactly why I refused to argue with What in the first place.
Outs

Lincoln, AR

#7 Nov 4, 2011
leftyatbest wrote:
I wasn't trying to spread anything, just get a few people together to go to lunch once a week, or meet in the park or something to talk about recent news and things. Maybe eventually develop it into an organization and rent a space to have guest speakers and events. This is exactly why I refused to argue with What in the first place.
I understand. I wish more people were accepting of atheists.
someguy

United States

#8 Mar 2, 2012
Free thinkers group sounds awesome, me and a few friends tried that a few years ago but it never worked out some people meeting new people with similar ideals and discussion would be nice,
Someotherguy

Dallas, TX

#9 Mar 2, 2012
Im with someguy. I added chad on facebook.

“Fully-gruntled”

Since: Feb 11

tahlequah, OK

#10 Apr 13, 2012
Hey. Well I've moved away from siloam springs now. I live in tahlequah now. If anyone wants to add me on facebook or follow me on twitter just search for leftyatbest. I use this handle on every site.

Since: Mar 12

United States

#11 Apr 17, 2012
Outs wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand. I wish more people were accepting of atheists.
I say you all hold a picnic in the park every April 1St
Then you fools could have your own holiday to

“Fully-gruntled”

Since: Feb 11

tahlequah, OK

#12 May 22, 2012
^ look at this clever guy. Sitting around being clever. Wish I was clever like him. Mr Clever McClevermeister
Jeff Austin

Siloam Springs, AR

#13 May 26, 2012
Sorry your idea didn't work out. I found your post too late or I probably would have joined. I escaped the trappings of religion several years ago, but now find myself a social outcast in SS, even within my own family. Oh well, at least I'm free from the poison of religious arrogance and intolerance. And it's nice not being told what to think (by a man standing at the pulpit in a $2,000 suit) Stay true.

“Fully-gruntled”

Since: Feb 11

tahlequah, OK

#14 May 29, 2012
Word. If god can help you pay your bills or find your keys, but cant stop a baby from dying, that "all powerful" bullshit is already exposed.
Concerned

United States

#15 Jun 16, 2012
leftyatbest wrote:
Alright, seems like this isn't going anywhere So I guess I'll respond to What's post.
Yes I have attempted to understand who jesus was. There is no afterlife and thinking there is one does not improve life in any way, in fact just the opposite.
If there is an afterlife, it devalues the life we are living right now. Without an afterlife this life is far more important. Without an afterlife to look forward to there is more reason to take advantage and make the most of the life we have and do what we can to make life better for future generations because when we die thats it. Say everything you need to say to the people you love now, you won't get another chance once you or they are dead. Spend time with the people you care about because when they are gone you will never see them again. Do you understand how an afterlife makes this life less valuable than it really is? And what is this life if there is an afterlife, just one long test? Thats not a life I would want to live. If that were the case you could just waste your entire life ensuring your spot in heaven and doing whatever you can to increase your odds of death while not directly committing suicide so you can get to heaven faster.
And lets expand on this a little bit. Lets not pretend that christianity is the ONLY religion, or even that there is only one denomination of christianity because that certainly isn't the case and there are many denominations that condemn other denominations. Anyone from any sect of any religion can say the same thing you just did in favor of their own beliefs.
Damn even a self proclaimed atheist can even practice what they preach.

“Fully-gruntled”

Since: Feb 11

tahlequah, OK

#16 Jun 17, 2012
^ what is that supposed to mean?
Concerned

United States

#17 Jun 19, 2012
You expect anyone to believe what you say here you do in real life....lol

Without an afterlife to look forward to there is more reason to take advantage and make the most of the life we have and do what we can to make life better for future generations because when we die thats it. Say everything you need to say to the people you love now, you won't get another chance once you or they are dead. Spend time with the people you care about because when they are gone you will never see them again.
agnostic

Moscow, TN

#18 Jul 28, 2012
leftyatbest wrote:
Hello, I am an atheist and I was thinking about starting a freethinkers meet up group to meet and do something special maybe once a month. We will probably eat at a local place and have meetings where we can discuss topics that interest us. post here if you are interested or have any suggestions, nothing is set in stone yet.
I would love to join a siloam free thinkers "club". If you would have an agnostic...or whatever it is i can be classified. Anyways let me know if you get something together
Bex

United States

#19 Aug 8, 2012
Bible beaters everywhere! OMG they get on my freaking nerves! I have been in church my whole life and really don't care for it. I don't want to spend my whole life believing in something that may or may NOT be true. I'd hate to think that when I die I wasted my life in a belief that's wrong or not real. No one really knows what happens when we die except for the people who already died! They aren't talking! So I don't have a real belief in anything yet I'm still looking and searching for that answer. Until then church people can leave their opinions to themselves because I already know about GOD and the bible thank you!
Alpha

United States

#20 Dec 18, 2012
A free-thinkers group sounds good anywhere. And there are many free-thinking Christians out there who do not accept all of the church doctrines based upon myth & legend. There was a report on NBC-TV news last week about huge numbers of Christians not attending regular church services and also many who do not believe in many of the long-time church beliefs, such as the resurrection. Why? Because of biblical research in the late 20th century & early 21st century that uncovered fabrications to the New Testament. Most addition & alterations to the texts were made by church clerks ranging from the 2nd century into the fifth century. Even some of St. Paul's letters and epistles were faked in the 4th century! And the Resurrection story, well biblical scholars how agree that it was embellished and fabricated as well. The original Gospel of Mark, which conveyed the original crucifixion & burial of Jesus did not have any resurrection. The earliest bible, the Codex Sinaiticus, now in the British Museum, is Mark's Gospel in its earliest form & does not have any resurrection of Jesus. In early Christianity, the Catholic leadership tied itself to the resurrection myth & it became the faith doctrine. So there are many changes afoot in biblical scholarship that the Christian churches seem to ignore. If the churches want to survive into the 22nd century, perhaps they should consider more free-thinking. Rationality is necessary in order to survive in an expanding global society. The world is moving away from myth and legend. Free-thinking helps to expand democracy an ethical behavior.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Siloam Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
21 pilots ticket Thu Thissucks 1
Jesse Martin (Sep '15) Tue Mandy N 10
Jason aka arkansas Jul 26 The real big will 6
Fayetteville Hyla Jul 16 curiousitykilleda... 1
Kay Kay Jul 16 Cody 1
Gays Jul 13 Daniel 1
News Benton County Judge Dave Bisbee Responds to Eth... (Apr '10) Jul 11 Tensi0n 19

Siloam Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Siloam Springs Mortgages