Fox News / Bill O'Reilly - Christiani...

Fox News / Bill O'Reilly - Christianity NOT a religion

Posted in the Sikeston Forum

Watermark

Jackson, MO

#1 Dec 5, 2012
Fox News commentator Bill O’Reilly claims atheists are fascists, and Christianity is not a religion, in an interview with David Silverman, president of American Atheists. Silverman said the US Government should not promote any religion, including Christianity. To that, O'Reilly made an astonishing claim, saying “Christianity is not a religion; it is a philosophy.”

I'm anxious to hear from all of the people who follow Fox News, align themselves with their beliefs, endorse everything they spin, and call themselves Christians. You are not really a part of any religion? You are just following a philosophy?

I'm sure the pressure from Fox News and fellow philosophy followers will demand a retraction or apology, but you have to love a person who takes the bait from an Atheist and bites the hand that feeds him on national television.

United States

#2 Dec 5, 2012
Watermark wrote:
Fox News commentator Bill O’Reilly claims atheists are fascists, and Christianity is not a religion, in an interview with David Silverman, president of American Atheists. Silverman said the US Government should not promote any religion, including Christianity. To that, O'Reilly made an astonishing claim, saying “Christianity is not a religion; it is a philosophy.”
I'm anxious to hear from all of the people who follow Fox News, align themselves with their beliefs, endorse everything they spin, and call themselves Christians. You are not really a part of any religion? You are just following a philosophy?
I'm sure the pressure from Fox News and fellow philosophy followers will demand a retraction or apology, but you have to love a person who takes the bait from an Atheist and bites the hand that feeds him on national television.
For lack of a better term it is a philosophy. Now there are several religeons that claim to be christian. Some are, some are not. Christian, as it is intended to be used, is an accusational term meaning "Christ like". The Bible never refers to it as a religeon. However neither is Judaism. Yet all the discrepancy over semantics is mute. The problem isn't Christians jamming their beliefs down peoples throats, its athiest that are doing that.
bufu

Jackson, MO

#3 Dec 5, 2012
If Christianity is a philosophy then Islam and the rest of the superstitions are philosophy.
I think

United States

#4 Dec 5, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
For lack of a better term it is a philosophy. Now there are several religeons that claim to be christian. Some are, some are not. Christian, as it is intended to be used, is an accusational term meaning "Christ like". The Bible never refers to it as a religeon. However neither is Judaism. Yet all the discrepancy over semantics is mute. The problem isn't Christians jamming their beliefs down peoples throats, its athiest that are doing that.
I'm tired of the athiest group getting their own way. On the news this morning a school canceled taking kids to see a play based on a Charlie Brown Christmas cartoon. If they had kids in the school that were going to go see it they could keep their kids home. No need to ruin a school outing for everyone.
Watermark

Jackson, MO

#5 Dec 5, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
So you agree with O'Reilly in that Christianity is not a religion. Ok.

Illustrate how, in every day life in Southeast Missouri, atheists are jamming their beliefs down our throats. I can't turn around in public without running into some inflatable Christmas ball, seeing Christmas lights / trees in government buildings, references to God on our money, etc, etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind and enjoy these things. But I don't see the same level, or any level for that matter, of atheist efforts to influence our local society.
I Think

United States

#6 Dec 5, 2012
Why just Southeast Mo.?

What about the 911 cross a atheist group wants taking out of the museum.

How about the cross at Camp Pendelton to honor comrades killin in Iraq and to show respect for military personnel sent to foreign lands. One atheist insisted that it should be taken down.

What about under God taken out of the pledge. Or, In God We Trust taken off currency. Don't they want anything that says God taken off everything?

A atheist group wants a cross taken down that has been standing for 90 years on a war memorial that honors hometown soldiers who died for their country. Woonsocket, R.I.

Whatever happened to live and let live. If you don't like something, don't look at it.

If I don't like say, Applebee's I wouldn't demand it should be closed. I just wouldn't eat there.
Local

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Dec 5, 2012
Wait a minute...we're talking about O'Reilly claiming Christianity is a philosophy..not what athiests believe or want. I have a suggestion...walk into any "Christian" church on a Sunday morning, repeat O'Reilly's statement and see what sort of response you get. Do that and get back to us.
Watermark

Jackson, MO

#8 Dec 5, 2012
I Think wrote:
Why just Southeast Mo.?
What about the 911 cross a atheist group wants taking out of the museum.
How about the cross at Camp Pendelton to honor comrades killin in Iraq and to show respect for military personnel sent to foreign lands. One atheist insisted that it should be taken down.
What about under God taken out of the pledge. Or, In God We Trust taken off currency. Don't they want anything that says God taken off everything?
A atheist group wants a cross taken down that has been standing for 90 years on a war memorial that honors hometown soldiers who died for their country. Woonsocket, R.I.
Whatever happened to live and let live. If you don't like something, don't look at it.
If I don't like say, Applebee's I wouldn't demand it should be closed. I just wouldn't eat there.
I don't think you want to play "case for case" or "item for item" comparing the influences thrust on our society by Christians verses atheist groups.
I Think

United States

#9 Dec 5, 2012
I responded to post #2.

Gave examples to post #5.

We're talking? No. I don't see your name on here until after my post.

I believe in God. I no longer go to church so you can try that one.
bufu

Bonnots Mill, MO

#10 Dec 5, 2012
I insist that religion confine itself to private property. Traversing public space is fine but don't leave anything religious behind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sikeston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
* The ALPHABET Game * (Jul '11) 3 min Fairydust 6,440
4 Word Phrase Game (Dec '13) 3 min Fairydust 3,429
- end of the Word game - (Jul '11) 6 min Fairydust 4,533
Last Word ~~~First word (Nov '14) 6 min Fairydust 1,626
keep 1 drop 1 = + 3 stacked (Dec '13) 9 min Fairydust 3,471
Two words-last lettet of last word game (Sep '13) 11 min Fairydust 4,259
True or False Game (Apr '14) 12 min Fairydust 4,545

Sikeston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance