Sandy Hook Victim’s Father Interrupte...

Sandy Hook Victim’s Father Interrupted During Public Hearing

Posted in the Sikeston Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Watermark

Jackson, MO

#1 Jan 29, 2013
A typical insulting display by a member of our fine "gun culture".

----------

Some of the parents who testified about gun control before a subcommittee of the Connecticut Legislature on Monday called for stricter laws and improvements in mental health care. While Mark Mattioli, whose 6-year-old son James was killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School attack, instead, focused upon personal responsibility and a call to civility, other parents mentioned cracking down on so-called assault rifles. Among them was Neil Heslin, a father whose child, Jesse, also perished during the rampage.

As he was making his case against assault weapons, he was interrupted by alleged gun rights advocates who were a part of the audience. At one point, a heckler responded to the distraught parent in an effort to defend the Second Amendment.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/29/th...
1911-A1

Dexter, MO

#2 Jan 29, 2013
That's your news source ??? Left wing blather. Next you be quoteing from gay.com . About how you are being picked on.
bufu

Bonnots Mill, MO

#3 Jan 29, 2013
The reaction of most firearm enthusiasts over the massacre at Sandyhook has been indifference at best. One of them showing up and shouting over the parent of one of the victims is no surprise.
Watermark

Jackson, MO

#4 Jan 29, 2013
bufu wrote:
The reaction of most firearm enthusiasts over the massacre at Sandyhook has been indifference at best. One of them showing up and shouting over the parent of one of the victims is no surprise.
It must of pained Glenn Beck to have to report this embarrassing and insulting, yet very telling, behavior on his own website.
bufu

Bonnots Mill, MO

#5 Jan 29, 2013
A typical comment after the article:

Michael61
Posted on January 29, 2013 at 11:03am
Yes, the whole hearing was staged by Obama’s politicians. They used the grieving father as a pawn. He asked a question, he received an answer. Heckling? What heckling?

What kinda idiot calls the Blaze "left wing blather?"

TEF

“Non credo quia absurdum est”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#6 Jan 29, 2013
1911-A1 wrote:
That's your news source ??? Left wing blather. Next you be quoteing from gay.com . About how you are being picked on.
theblaze.com is Glen Beck's website. Unless your argument is Beck is a liberal, you're an idiot.

TEF

Location hidden

#7 Jan 29, 2013
Watermark wrote:
A typical insulting display by a member of our fine "gun culture".
----------
Some of the parents who testified about gun control before a subcommittee of the Connecticut Legislature on Monday called for stricter laws and improvements in mental health care. While Mark Mattioli, whose 6-year-old son James was killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School attack, instead, focused upon personal responsibility and a call to civility, other parents mentioned cracking down on so-called assault rifles. Among them was Neil Heslin, a father whose child, Jesse, also perished during the rampage.
As he was making his case against assault weapons, he was interrupted by alleged gun rights advocates who were a part of the audience. At one point, a heckler responded to the distraught parent in an effort to defend the Second Amendment.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/29/th...
This type of behavior is despicable, and on par with some of what Westboro Baptist Church does.

However, I think using the father to testify is wrong in itself. It's an appeal to emotion, and while he obviously has first hand experience with the effects of assault rifles, he is in no way an expert on gun control.

According to the FBI, assault rifles only account for less than %4 of gun related homicides. So an assault weapons ban, even if effectively executed, would have little impact anyway. Gun control is not the answer, nor is banning violent movies or games. Our area of focus ought to be on mental health, which is a subject very few politicians even want to touch. Our mental healthcare in this country is atrocious.
1911-A1

Dexter, MO

#8 Jan 29, 2013
TEF wrote:
<quoted text> theblaze.com is Glen Beck's website. Unless your argument is Beck is a liberal, you're an idiot.
No. But you must think its the gospel

TEF

Location hidden

#9 Jan 29, 2013
1911-A1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No. But you must think its the gospel
Actually I don't, and I have absolutely no respect for Beck. I'm just point out that Watermark's source was not from a left wing source, meaning you're an idiot.
1911-A1

Dexter, MO

#10 Jan 29, 2013
According to the FBI, assault rifles only account for less than %4 of gun related homicides. So an assault weapons ban, even if effectively executed, would have little impact anyway. Gun control is not the answer, nor is banning violent movies or games. Our area of focus ought to be on mental health, which is a subject very few politicians even want to touch. Our mental healthcare in this country is atrocious.

So why all the bother then ??????? Why are piss mark and butt fudge all up in arms??? Because they and you have been spoon fed what the media and government want you to believe.

To fix all of this. If you are of legal age and no felony convections I say. Strap a sidearm on and head to Walmart.
bufu

Center, MO

#11 Jan 29, 2013
The assault weapons ban as proposed will leave thousands upon thousands of assault weapons in the hands of firearm enthusiasts. I'm in favor of a mandatory assault weapons buy back but that will never happen.

How would inhanced mental health screening have prevented Sandyhook?
1911-A1

Dexter, MO

#12 Jan 29, 2013
bufu wrote:
The assault weapons ban as proposed will leave thousands upon thousands of assault weapons in the hands of firearm enthusiasts. I'm in favor of a mandatory assault weapons buy back but that will never happen.

Keep nut jobs like you from buying a firearm for one.

TEF

Location hidden

#13 Jan 29, 2013
bufu wrote:
I am not just talking about screening, I'm also talking about diagnosis and treatment. I would wager that more effective mental health treatment would go much further in preventing these types of tragedies than would an assault weapons ban.
bufu

Center, MO

#14 Jan 29, 2013
I agree. Blather about enhanced mental health screening is nothing more than a distraction away from banning assault weapons or any other kind of gun control.
bufu

Bonnots Mill, MO

#15 Jan 29, 2013
What sort of mental history did the theatre shooter in Colorado have? I don't remember hearing anything out of the ordinary.

How could have inhanced mental health screening help prevent that?

TEF

Location hidden

#16 Jan 29, 2013
bufu wrote:
What sort of mental history did the theatre shooter in Colorado have? I don't remember hearing anything out of the ordinary.
How could have inhanced mental health screening help prevent that?
He was seeing a psychiatrist, and was diagnosed with some kind of personality disorder, but I'm not entirely sure of the details.
bufu

Bonnots Mill, MO

#17 Jan 29, 2013
Do you think he should have been stripped of firearm rights based on that?

TEF

Location hidden

#18 Jan 29, 2013
bufu wrote:
Do you think he should have been stripped of firearm rights based on that?
Actually, yes, especially if the doctor felt he was a danger to himself or others. Even someone with a history of certain mental illnesses should not be able to buy or own firearms. The right to bear arms is not a natural right, it is a right given or guaranteed by the State, so it inherently comes, or should come, with commonsense limitations.
taq

Jackson, MO

#19 Jan 29, 2013
OK, then. Thanks for an actual answer. I think I'm with you on that.

Perhaps a federal firearm license requiring a mental health check is the way to go.
Paul

Cape Girardeau, MO

#20 Jan 29, 2013
Was the Sandy Hook Dad Really "Heckled"? The Video Suggests Otherwise.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/0...

"If the exchange between Heslin and the pro-gun audience members was noteworthy at all, it's likely because of how relatively civil the whole thing was. The gun-rights advocates quickly quiet down after their short responses; Heslin appears largely unfazed by the shouts."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sikeston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keep a Word - Drop a Word (Dec '09) 1 min night machine 15,026
fake college or university names game (Feb '14) 4 min night machine 138
True or False Game (Apr '14) 6 min -Prince- 2,176
music game (Sep '09) 7 min Vector aka Victor... 8,272
Word Association (May '10) 12 min night machine 4,364
Name something you crave (Jul '15) 14 min night machine 237
keep 1 drop 1 = + 3 stacked (Dec '13) 16 min night machine 1,978

Sikeston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance