First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Customer

Cape Girardeau, MO

#1 Jan 30, 2013
OMG -- has anyone gotten their bill for January yet? We get ours through our email about 2 days prior to receiving it in the mail. I about died today when I read the email. Our electric bill is $809.00. I promise this is the truth. We called them saying there must be a mistake. They tried telling us it is because January was a super cold month (no colder than any other January). We leave our unit on 70 all the time. Plus we use our fire place every evening. We leave our house at 6am and dont return until 3pm. We are gone most weekends. Also, we was gone a full week the first week of January. I went back the last 7 years on my bills and in January (even when we had 4 kids in the house) we never used that much electricity. They told us to either have it paid by the 10th or there is a 20% late fee (which adds another $160.00). They will not even work with us on a payment arrangement. We honestly don't know what to do.

We have lived here for years and again NEVER seen anything like this. We are total electric but never in all the years living here have we had this. They were so rude to my husband today when he called. They wont even talk about it. Told us their meters are 99.99 percent correct.

Does anyone have any suggestions. We work everyday, but there is no way we can pay this. Please let me know if anyone else see's a big increase.

United States

#2 Jan 30, 2013
many of my friends have said the same thing!!!!
Local

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Jan 30, 2013
SEMO does not fall under any regulatory body...they are a co-op, meaning they are owned by the users and administered by an semi-elected board of directors. Good luck getting any resolution with your problem. You might try calling your state rep, but its unlikely he or she can help. I have dealt with these people and they are amazingly arrogant.

United States

#4 Jan 30, 2013
They have to raise rates to help pay lobbyist Emerson's 1.5 million dollar salary!
missy

Chesapeake, OH

#5 Jan 31, 2013
its stupid mine was 186.00 last month 300.25 this month lots of my familys is 439.00 & up.im so worried there ripping us off.
Gunther Grizzwell

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Jan 31, 2013
Their all union members that's why your bill is so high they got to pay 7 watching 1 work.
scott henderson

Cape Girardeau, MO

#7 Jan 31, 2013
Mine went from 60 to a 150. Something's going on!

Since: Jan 13

Sikeston

#8 Jan 31, 2013
mine was 79 went to 168.00

United States

#9 Jan 31, 2013
Last big rate increase they blamed on ice storm. That was a crock of sh1t FEMA paid most of that bill. Or should I say taxpayers paid the bill.

Jackson, MO

#10 Jan 31, 2013
I'm on SEMO and every year ours climbs higher and higher every winter. I have had to keep our heat on 69 so we can hopefully pay the bill. They are such asses. They won't work with you at all which is bs when the bill is high as giraffes ass. Ridiculous. They should be ashamed but they aren't. We used kerosene last year just to keep our bill manageable and the heat barely kicked on yet it was over 400.00. I know they rip us off and wish there was something we could do.
Off grid

Fairfax, VA

#11 Jan 31, 2013
Off grid is what I'd like to do. Does anyone else find this of interest?

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Jan 31, 2013
Wow! Makes me appreciate my $200 January bill with BMU!!
Sikeston resident

Jackson, MO

#13 Jan 31, 2013
My bill went from $297 to $451 and NOTHING has changed. They have you, you either pay in full or they WILL shut you off. If this happens, $75 reconnect fee and $100 deposit or so. Each time it happens. One year it was near $600 and I was beside myself.

Florissant, MO

#14 Jan 31, 2013
Sikeston resident wrote:
My bill went from $297 to $451 and NOTHING has changed. They have you, you either pay in full or they WILL shut you off. If this happens,$75 reconnect fee and $100 deposit or so. Each time it happens. One year it was near $600 and I was beside myself.

Go out and read your meter they are well known for estimating. then if that is right turn everything off in your house and see if the meter is still running.
Person

Florissant, MO

#15 Feb 1, 2013
Mine was 251.00.
mo resd

United States

#16 Feb 1, 2013
There should be something you can do about it jumping up so high in a months time. It doesnt even sound legit. 800 worth of electricity in what? A month??
person

Florissant, MO

#17 Feb 2, 2013
Our Elec and Gas combined for Jan was $304.00. That is better than where we lived before. Our Elec bill on Ameren UE was always more than that and we had all gas at that house. The gas was about 60 per month at the other house. At our new house, our cook stove and fire place is gas, but our heat and water heater are all electric. Compaired to our other house I didn't think this was too bad.
welp

Cape Girardeau, MO

#18 Feb 2, 2013
This is a bunch of crap! I know we were suppose to have a price increase but this big of one??? My bill last month was $159 and this month it was $243. I'd hate to see what it'd be if we had 0 degree for a few days. They have us over a barrell and not a dang thing we can do cause they are our only choice for electric.
Survival

Fairfax, VA

#19 Feb 2, 2013
welp wrote:
This is a bunch of crap! I know we were suppose to have a price increase but this big of one??? My bill last month was $159 and this month it was $243. I'd hate to see what it'd be if we had 0 degree for a few days. They have us over a barrell and not a dang thing we can do cause they are our only choice for electric.
Off grid
angry too

Farmington, MO

#20 Feb 2, 2013
Yeah ours went from 69 dollars to 125 in a month without any change. We have gas heat and it was only 55 dollars! We did nothing different this month than we did last but it almost doubled! This is robbery.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sikeston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to keep cats out of the trash? (Oct '09) 8 min old music man 125
Keep a Word - Drop a Word (Dec '09) 15 min what a russsh 18,350
6 Word Sentence (Apr '15) 18 min Princess Hey 3,708
why so many dopehead 26 min old music man 1
Republicans are rapist and childmolesters!!!!! 57 min No standing up 53
running for mayor? 2 hr guest 23
in honor of Fairydust (Nov '15) 5 hr Fairydust 135

Sikeston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance