First Prev
of 6
Next Last
concerned

Jefferson City, MO

#1 Oct 10, 2008
I see that the new china buffet is open and really doing well, but i'm concerned about their employees, the main lady that runs it, Linda, I heard her talking to them, and she treats them so bad, i don't see how they put up with it, I heard alot of stuff about that place and how illegal it is. maybe someone should look into this, no one should be treated like they are there. The Linda lady is not a good person, she puts on a front to make people come back for business, but, I know for a fact that she treats her own employess like dogs, which is what your probably eating when you go there.
Sikeston girl

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#2 Oct 11, 2008
I refuse to eat at China Buffet! Not because of Linda, but because the waiters/waitresses are so freakin' rude!!!

They hound you for tips... as in go to your table when you leave, if its not there, follow you to the counter and look over your shoulder while you fill out the credit card receipt! One time I was paying with cash and the girl that waited on us insisted on taking our money to the register, and when she came back with my change, she handed me 2 of my $4 back, and said "I keep the other for tip".. No lie! I'm not the only person that this has happened to!

I understand people in the food service industry make very little, but come on.. it's a buffet place! All they did for me was fill my drink, maybe one refill (if that), and don't bother taking plates away!

If you rely on tips, get a job at Applebee's where you actually work for it!.. Or, here's a suggestion.. DONT BE RUDE!
yep

United States

#3 Oct 11, 2008
Sikeston girl wrote:
I refuse to eat at China Buffet! Not because of Linda, but because the waiters/waitresses are so freakin' rude!!!
They hound you for tips... as in go to your table when you leave, if its not there, follow you to the counter and look over your shoulder while you fill out the credit card receipt! One time I was paying with cash and the girl that waited on us insisted on taking our money to the register, and when she came back with my change, she handed me 2 of my $4 back, and said "I keep the other for tip".. No lie! I'm not the only person that this has happened to!
I understand people in the food service industry make very little, but come on.. it's a buffet place! All they did for me was fill my drink, maybe one refill (if that), and don't bother taking plates away!
If you rely on tips, get a job at Applebee's where you actually work for it!.. Or, here's a suggestion.. DONT BE RUDE!
A buddy and I both had the buffett, and we left a $5 tip. The waitress continued to ask for more. Like you, she insisted on taking our money to the register. She was acting in a flirtatous sort of way. I almost started to ask her what she might do for more money. LOL! She just might be one of those girls. I do not like any server asking for money. I tip according to how good the service is.
yeap

United States

#4 Oct 11, 2008
I go in there with my boyfriend alot,in the begining they would try to flirt with him, and it would make him feel uncomfortable, I shot some very dirty looks and said a few things and they leave him alone now. but I do remember one time a couple left and did not leave a tip, and the girl called them a dumbass.then told us "I WORK HARD AND NO TIP" Now I never leave a tip just to piss them off
FormerDiner

Moberly, MO

#5 Oct 11, 2008
I'm glad someone else shares my concerns about the girls who work at the China Buffet. I wondered about them when the restaurant was located in the old McDonald's building on Malone. Those girls were housed together in a dump of a rent house and had no mode of transportation except for Linda who would pick them up in a van and transport them to work each morning (along with some Mexican men who I assume were the cooks.) You never saw them out in public, never saw them dressed in anything except their uniforms, and they appeared to work from opening until closing 7 days a week. They probably ate all of their meals at the restaurant. I wondered how often they got to eat and if they had any food at home. At that time, they spoke very limited English. I also have heard her yell at them - always in Chinese. One night, an Asian male (not George) called one of the girls outside and slapped the snot out of her. In short, they appeared to be dependent upon Linda for their survival. Isn't that slavery? This situation probably hasn't changed.

This is just speculation, but as far as the waitresses and the tip thing situation, I would suspect that Linda has trained them to do that and they in turn have to turn what tips they get over to her. They probably have to meet a quota and that is why they are so aggressive. You know Linda would put a stop to it if she didn't approve so there must be something in it for her.

I was also wondering why Linda sent her babies back to China to live. They were born here. She sent 2 of them that I know of. Does anybody know if they are still living there?

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#6 Oct 11, 2008
is this the china buffet that reopened in the old mcdonalds on malone?
FormerDiner

Moberly, MO

#7 Oct 11, 2008
George & Linda formerly owned and operated that establishment (China Garden). I heard they sold it to somebody else after they opened China Buffet, but I did see George's vehicle there a few times so I don't know what the real deal was. It got closed down more than once and is now for sale.
justmee

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Oct 11, 2008
I also have been hounded for tips and that is why my hubby and I don't go in to eat anymore. Use the window at one of the other chinese places and bypass the tip part. Matter of fact, I don't hardly ever eat chinese anymore, I have been cooking at home. Watch the food channel and learn to cook. It is cheaper and better for ya and it tastes sooooo much better and you know what is in your food. Just a suggestion
sad sad sad

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Oct 11, 2008
the pekings at the old mall are friendly and do not ask for tips but george is a sweetheart and linda is not at the chinese buffett
TOMO

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Oct 11, 2008
Sikeston girl wrote:
I know these people, & learning english is hard, or any foreign language as far as that goes. George and Queen are the hardest workers I know. They try hard to please everyone, and I'll eat there every week. Judy also works hard and so does Machelle. I think the food is great & at a great price. Where else can you get samon for such a cheap price. Work a week in their shoes & live a week through their eyes.
niceand all that

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Oct 11, 2008
TOMO wrote:
<quoted text> I know these people, & learning english is hard, or any foreign language as far as that goes. George and Queen are the hardest workers I know. They try hard to please everyone, and I'll eat there every week. Judy also works hard and so does Machelle. I think the food is great & at a great price. Where else can you get samon for such a cheap price. Work a week in their shoes & live a week through their eyes.
i do know someone that did work for linda and she says linda is nice
TOMO

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Oct 11, 2008
Oh ya The Mexicans & Chinese are proud of their jobs! I'd hire any of them to help me on the farm, because I'd get value for the job I payed them to do. Unlike griping spoiled help around here.

United States

#13 Oct 11, 2008
IF anyone would of seen the kitchen at the old CHINA BUFFET no one would ever want to go back. And im sure that this one will get only worse with more buisness.
bottomless pit

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Oct 11, 2008
China Buffet is NO worse than any other restaurant in this lousy f##king town. my wife & I have NEVER experienced ANY of these accusations, and we've been going every since they first opened up here. but I suppose you get treated the way YOU treat, so think about it.
TOMO

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Oct 11, 2008
bottomless pit wrote:
China Buffet is NO worse than any other restaurant in this lousy f##king town. my wife & I have NEVER experienced ANY of these accusations, and we've been going every since they first opened up here. but I suppose you get treated the way YOU treat, so think about it.
DITTO! The Wife & I have been going there since they opened & We never experienced any of those alligations. Shame on you for your slander.
Sikeston girl

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#16 Oct 11, 2008
Slander?

It's hilarious that you would consider it "slander" when there are several people in this forum that have had it happen to them first hand.

I'm sorry, but if the service is poor, you have no right to demand a tip.

Learn some proper English and get a job elsewhere, if the conditions are that bad!
I agree

Jackson, MO

#17 Oct 11, 2008
I, too, have been hounded for a tip. I had to write a check Monday night when we went to China Buffet to eat, and the waitress yelled "Hey! You no tip!! Come back here!"

How rude!
Jess

Wyandotte, MI

#18 Oct 11, 2008
niceand all that wrote:
<quoted text>i do know someone that did work for linda and she says linda is nice
I worked there through high school and George and Linda were ALWAYS nice to me. And their kids aren't still in China...mind your business!! Who cares if they were?? Typical Sikeston nosey a$$ people. Take of your own little thugs!!
Sikeston girl

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#19 Oct 11, 2008
Jess wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical Sikeston nosey a$$ people. Take of your own little thugs!!
That's quite funny! I have to agree!
Elizabeth

AOL

#20 Oct 11, 2008
Guest wrote:
is this the china buffet that reopened in the old mcdonalds on malone?
I got food poisoning from the one in the old mcdonalds and my husband found black pubic hairs in his food

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sikeston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brown Auto (May '17) 1 hr Scott 35
Make a sentence from a 5 letter word (Jul '14) 3 hr Vector aka Victor... 3,887
I need a 1bedroom apt furnished with utilities 7 hr Guest 9
music game (Sep '09) 8 hr Fairydust 10,678
6 Word Sentence (Apr '15) 8 hr Fairydust 3,601
Keep a Word - Drop a Word (Dec '09) 8 hr Fairydust 18,188
Aramark management 11 hr Think About It 21

Sikeston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance