Obama's Cards on the Table

Posted in the Sikeston Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
bufu

Bonnots Mill, MO

#1 Nov 30, 2012
"Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner presented the House speaker, John A. Boehner, a detailed proposal on Thursday to avert the year-end fiscal crisis with $1.6 trillion in tax increases over 10 years,$50 billion in immediate stimulus spending, home mortgage refinancing and a permanent end to Congressional control over statutory borrowing limits.

The proposal, loaded with Democratic priorities and short on detailed spending cuts, met strong Republican resistance. In exchange for locking in the $1.6 trillion in added revenues, President Obama embraced the goal of finding $400 billion in savings from Medicare and other social programs to be worked out next year, with no guarantees.

He did propose some upfront cuts in programs like farm price supports, but did not specify an amount or any details. And senior Republican aides familiar with the offer said those initial spending cuts might be outweighed by spending increases, including at least $50 billion in infrastructure spending, mortgage relief, an extension of unemployment insurance and a deferral of automatic cuts to physician reimbursements under Medicare."
here

Sikeston, MO

#2 Nov 30, 2012
I hope the republicans don't take this laughable proposal. We need cuts in entitlements, tax cuts, not all entitlements, but, to those who abuse the system, they need to pay their fair share. The rich and middle class already pay theirs. Those who want want want are all unpatriotic. I say republicans need to walk away, go over the fiscal cliff. The democrat lawmakers don't want to be bipartisan, they won't listen to anything the republicans put on the table.
bufu

Sikeston, MO

#3 Nov 30, 2012
Sooooo, anyone know what the republican counter proposal is?

It takes two sides for a negotiation.
here

Sikeston, MO

#4 Nov 30, 2012
Republicans don't want any tax increases. They want deep budget cuts (which we really need), reform entitlement programs (they need reformation real bad, the way it is now, it's draining the money), defund Obamacare. And do not raise the debt ceiling. That's just silly. And listen, small businesses get hurt real bad under Obama's plan. Do you really want to see that? All businesses are not the same and not all business owners are considered rich. So you can't treat all types and sizes of businesses the same. Also, if you make 250,000 in New York, you would be considered middle class. In our area, or poorer areas it's considered rich. So the definition of rich and middle class differs depending on which area of the country you live in. Why don't democrats see that, I don't know. They have never lived in struggling areas. Most small business owners who make 250,000 or 200,000 file personal taxes. They mix it in with their business and personal, so they don't actually make that. So let's go off that cliff.
bufu

Bonnots Mill, MO

#5 Nov 30, 2012
The automatic spending cuts that come with the "fiscal cliff" do not include cuts to entitlements like Medicare, SocSec, or Medicaid. That's a good thing.

I would like to see the Bush/Obama tax cuts expire and the automatic spending cuts begin.

If congressional republicans don't, they should put a proposal on the table and start negotiating.

Sikeston, MO

#6 Nov 30, 2012
bufu wrote:
Sooooo, anyone know what the republican counter proposal is?
It takes two sides for a negotiation.
Yes cut spending. we don't have a revenue problem we have a spending problem and if you keep feeding the beast he will keep eating. No tax increae until we get spending cuts up front.

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Nov 30, 2012
We can't afford any more stimulus packages.
bufu

Bonnots Mill, MO

#8 Nov 30, 2012
Spending cuts except for entitlements come with the fiscal cliff but tax increases do too.

Sounds good to me.
Local

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#9 Nov 30, 2012
Most small business owners file personal taxes? Of course they do...that's the law. You have no idea what you're talking about....you're just repeating talking points.
here

Sikeston, MO

#10 Dec 1, 2012
Yes they do local and I have first hand experience here. They combine business tax with personal tax that's why when they report 250,000 is not their income, they take home less than that. So even though a business makes 250,00 they don't take that home, they clear much less than that.
WTF

Chaffee, MO

#11 Dec 1, 2012
here wrote:
Yes they do local and I have first hand experience here. They combine business tax with personal tax that's why when they report 250,000 is not their income, they take home less than that. So even though a business makes 250,00 they don't take that home, they clear much less than that.
you don't pay taxes on expenses. That is what deductions are.If they have expenses that bring their income below 250 thousand their taxes will not go up.

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Dec 1, 2012
Isn't the key word here INCOME? The amount you receive before taxes and expenses.
WTF

Chaffee, MO

#13 Dec 1, 2012
guest wrote:
Isn't the key word here INCOME? The amount you receive before taxes and expenses.
it is adjusted gross income, which you would know if you paid any taxes yourself. Expenses come out before taxes are levied.

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Dec 1, 2012
Really, since when don't I pay taxes?

What you hear on the news is income. Not adjusted income. Businesses who make, not businesses who clear after expenses.
WTF

Chaffee, MO

#15 Dec 1, 2012
guest wrote:
Really, since when don't I pay taxes?
What you hear on the news is income. Not adjusted income. Businesses who make, not businesses who clear after expenses.
if you pay taxes then you know that what you pay on is your adjusted gross income, if you don't know that you don;t pay taxes. what news do you listen to?
dognes

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Dec 1, 2012
youtube.com/watch...
Tax increase cards 2013 after Election before a
COLA increase Cards 2012 during Election and before that Obama Green Card,,,

Resignation Card
bufu

Bonnots Mill, MO

#17 Dec 1, 2012
Is there a republican counter proposal yet?

Sikeston, MO

#18 Dec 2, 2012
Obama has showed he only wants an issue he doesn't really want to solve the fincinal mess. He last proposal was a big time joke. The Republicans need to just walk away.
Gunther Grizzwell

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Dec 2, 2012
Obama and a beer bottle are just alike -----both empty from the neck up.
WTF

Chaffee, MO

#20 Dec 2, 2012
guest wrote:
Obama has showed he only wants an issue he doesn't really want to solve the fincinal mess. He last proposal was a big time joke. The Republicans need to just walk away.
that's fine. I hope they do walk away. That will end ALL the bush tax cuts and reduce all military spending 20% as well as a 20% decrease in other spending.And when that happens the whole nation will know it was because the republicans walked away

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sikeston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Ruler Food 1 hr FYI 4
sexiest tats !?!? 4 hr Lucy 5
#what are you listening to? (Aug '13) 4 hr music junkie 481
"NEW" Remembering SHS Deceased Classmates (Jan '09) 8 hr Mad dog Sullivan 458
kim rodgers mcclendon 8 hr Matthews 1
Sikeston featured in MTV episode in the 90's? D... 8 hr hmmm 10
Word Association (May '10) 9 hr Princess Hey 3,822
Sikeston Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web