Menlow_Park_Kid

United States

#41 Jul 18, 2009
old goober wrote:
<quoted text>You seem to think you know a lot. But you are dead wrong about Debbie being drawn into anything by Alan Milburn. If you knew him as well as you claim, you would at least know how to spell his name. And if you knew Debbie as well as you seem to think you do, you would know that Debbie had her own agenda before she ever hooked up with Milburn. She was young, but I can assure you that she did not need anyone to "persuade" her into anything. She was headed down the path she was on long before she ever met Milburn.
I did indeed graduate with Milburn and Ellison ... and had many classes with both ... and I have been in contact with both within the past 30 days ...
say what

Wood River, IL

#42 Jul 18, 2009
Menlow_Park_Kid wrote:
<quoted text>I did indeed graduate with Milburn and Ellison ... and had many classes with both ... and I have been in contact with both within the past 30 days ...
So if you think you know both that well then why do you feel like Milburn should spend the rest of his life in maximum confinement?
clueless

Saint Louis, MO

#43 Jul 18, 2009
Hey I don't know any of these people but you don't go to prison for life and have your whole family involved if you are a small time drug dealer! You keep saying this guy was in texas well do you really think he was there picking up furniture? Another thing 92,000 dollars is a lot of money now, it was hella money back then if they were making that much off guns and drugs then they were doing pretty big business especially around here! Whew, somebody needs a reality check.
Reality Check

Wood River, IL

#44 Jul 18, 2009
clueless wrote:
Hey I don't know any of these people but you don't go to prison for life and have your whole family involved if you are a small time drug dealer! You keep saying this guy was in texas well do you really think he was there picking up furniture? Another thing 92,000 dollars is a lot of money now, it was hella money back then if they were making that much off guns and drugs then they were doing pretty big business especially around here! Whew, somebody needs a reality check.
Yes, and I'd say that would be YOU. You started your unimformed opinion off by saying that you "don't know any of these people". So in fact you are assuming an awful lot. It has already been stated in the paper that Milburn was in Texas making a cocaine deal at the time of Martin's death. Obviously he wasn't going to make that admission at the time of her death. Ellison was the gun dealer and Milburn had no dealings in guns whatsoever. Yes,$93,000 is a lot of money but you have no idea how long it took him to accumulate that kind of money. But...even back then it was small potatoes compared to what major drug dealers made. Cocaine was expensive back then and it is expensive today. I have no idea how much cocaine $93,000 will buy, but I would venture to guess that it wouldn't be a huge amount. As far as his family being involved, again you don't know the whole story, but if you think they were dealing drugs you're really assuming alot. Milburn has more than paid the price for his misguided adventures as a young man. He may be instumental in bringing a 30 year old murder case to justice. He's 62 years old and been lock up in the worst prisons in America for 26 years and ONLY because of that damn rediculous sentence he received. He has paid his debt to society and he deserves to be set free.
clueless

Saint Louis, MO

#45 Jul 18, 2009
Hey jackass I was just going by what all has been posted on here! Sorry I was just a little baby when you guys were out doing cocaine or selling it, whatever, so I don't know as much about the illegal drug trade as you do! Was this guy warned and let off easy a few times but continued to sell drugs anyway? If so he deserved what ever he got. And no matter what "path" this girl was taking she didn't deserve to die and if your jailbird buddy knew who did it he is pretty low if he didn't tell anybody. How do you think it made her family feel for her killer to be walking free all these years? And by the way from what little I know, drugs and guns usually go hand in hand.
mumbo_jumbo

United States

#46 Jul 18, 2009
say what wrote:
<quoted text>So if you think you know both that well then why do you feel like Milburn should spend the rest of his life in maximum confinement?
because that's the law, and he is a threat to society
Just curious

United States

#47 Jul 19, 2009
[QUOTE who="Menlow/_Park_Kid "]<quoted text>I did indeed graduate with Milburn and Ellison ... and had many classes with both ... and I have been in contact with both within the past 30 days ...[/QUOTE]I had heard that years ago Alan married a former classmate of his,Linda Reeder,while in prison.Do you know if that is true and if so are they still married?
Reality Check

Wood River, IL

#48 Jul 19, 2009
mumbo_jumbo wrote:
<quoted text>because that's the law, and he is a threat to society
MUMBO-JUMBO and CLUELESS--Both of your names say it all. You are both full of uninformed, unfounded assumptions. In other, words you're both just plain full of s*^t.
Snoopy

Jackson, MO

#49 Jul 19, 2009
Sounds like some of you folks with all this information should make a telephone call to the Cape Girardeau Detective who solved the case.I believe Smith is his name. Ellison should have been arrested years ago, and I know enough about the case that I can say with certainty that Alan Milburn was blamed for Martin's death. He did not kill her! He has paid his debt and should have been released from prison years ago. If you know something that would be helpful, the make the call!!
Supporter of Justice

Wood River, IL

#50 Jul 19, 2009
Snoopy wrote:
Sounds like some of you folks with all this information should make a telephone call to the Cape Girardeau Detective who solved the case.I believe Smith is his name. Ellison should have been arrested years ago, and I know enough about the case that I can say with certainty that Alan Milburn was blamed for Martin's death. He did not kill her! He has paid his debt and should have been released from prison years ago. If you know something that would be helpful, the make the call!!
Thank you for your support of the release of Alan Milburn. It is good to know that there are a few rational people on this website. Rest assured that Detective Smith and the whole Cape P.D. know all there is to know about this case. You might be interested in knowing also that there are many many people in the law enforcement community who feel that Milburn got the shaft in his sentencing, and many support the release of Alan Milburn. I for one can tell you that he is probably the most rehabilitated criminal in history. He is not and will never be a threat to society again. Ellison should serve out the rest of Milburn's sentence. That would be real justice in this case.
eye spy

Chesterfield, MO

#51 Jul 20, 2009
I too have followed this case in the papers, as well as with people close to both sides. Every person that I have spoken with says Milburn "got the shaft". I agree 100%!! The man should have been released years ago. Criminals get convicted of murders, go to jail and are released, but Milburn gets life without parole for dealing drugs! What a travesty of justice indeed! No purpose would be served in keeping this man behind bars. If, upon his release, he could help one person and save them from a life of crime, then it would all be worth it. Release the man!!!!
Supporter of Justice

Wood River, IL

#52 Jul 20, 2009
eye spy wrote:
I too have followed this case in the papers, as well as with people close to both sides. Every person that I have spoken with says Milburn "got the shaft". I agree 100%!! The man should have been released years ago. Criminals get convicted of murders, go to jail and are released, but Milburn gets life without parole for dealing drugs! What a travesty of justice indeed! No purpose would be served in keeping this man behind bars. If, upon his release, he could help one person and save them from a life of crime, then it would all be worth it. Release the man!!!!
I've communicated with Milburn a great deal over the years and he is an amazing individual. He's never given up hope that one day someone in a position of authority will recognize what a raw deal he received from Judge Hungate. Apparently the feds wanted to test their new law at the time and Milburn was their guinea pig. Too bad they didn't test it on someone more deserving of a life w/o parole sentence. Milburn spends most of his time in the prison library. How many convicts do that? Unlike most lifers in prison, he has no tattoos. He studied law the first four or five years he was locked down and earned a law degree. He doesn't even smoke cigarettes or use any kind of substances. He does a better job of taking care of his health, considering his circumstances, than most people do on the outside. He would have much to contribute to society if he was free. He could counsel kids about the pitfalls of drugs. He might not be able to practice law, being a convicted felon, but he would make a darn good law clerk or investigator. The man has so many talents that he could be sharing, but instead he's got this rediculous sentence to serve. Our justice system in this country needs a major overhall!
mumbo_jumbo

United States

#53 Jul 20, 2009
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>MUMBO-JUMBO and CLUELESS--Both of your names say it all. You are both full of uninformed, unfounded assumptions. In other, words you're both just plain full of s*^t.
you need the reality check here friend. Ellison and Milburn are both getting what they deserve. Both should be under the prison so far that they need to pipe in sunshine, and take you with them.
menlow_park_kid

United States

#54 Jul 20, 2009
Just curious wrote:
<quoted text>I had heard that years ago Alan married a former classmate of his,Linda Reeder,while in prison.Do you know if that is true and if so are they still married?
I do know we went to school with a Linda Reeder, I did not hear of them being married though. I will ask around and see if anyone else knows or heard about this.
eye spy

Chesterfield, MO

#55 Jul 21, 2009
mumbo_jumbo wrote:
<quoted text>you need the reality check here friend. Ellison and Milburn are both getting what they deserve. Both should be under the prison so far that they need to pipe in sunshine, and take you with them.
Although I can agree with you concerning Ellison, I strongly disagree concerning Milburn. Ellison chose a life as a career criminal, and in the process violently took a life of a young woman, for nothing more than his personal gain. Milburn was blamed for that murder, and although the authorities could not charge him with the crime he was actually sentenced for it. Milburn was nothing more than a "small time" drug dealer who got greedy like they all do. That's the reason he got caught. The police also had the help of one of Milburn's friends who was also part of the drug ring. He turned against Milburn.
What purpose would be served in keeping Milburn in prison for his entire life? He is not and was not a danger to society. Would you not think that after twenty seven years, he has paid his debt? How do you feel about murderers, rapist, child molesters and other violent criminals getting paroled? Could it be that your personal hate for Milburn, for whatever reason, has clouded your rational thinking? Remember, none of us are without sin. Milburn knows that he made terrible mistakes in his early life, he has paid the price, and he does deserve a chance now to live as a free man.
grisgris

Saint Louis, MO

#56 Jul 21, 2009
At Ross Milburn's funeral, Sherry told me that Dr. Martin had given diet pills to Debbie for weight loss purposes when she was young. I knew that this was not an uncommon practice by some physicians in the '50s and '60s, because I had girlfriends who also were given diet pills by another doctor when they were in high school.

Sherry said that Alan always felt that this was the beginning of Debbie's drug habits.

There's an old story out there that, before his death, Dr. Martin asked Federal Judge Louis Blanton to make sure that Milburn never got out of prison.

Makes me wonder what Judge Blanton's part is in this, and if there's anything that he could do to turn this around.

A sad story of revenge and regret. What a mess. I'd love to see Alan set free.
eye spy

Chesterfield, MO

#57 Jul 21, 2009
grisgris wrote:
At Ross Milburn's funeral, Sherry told me that Dr. Martin had given diet pills to Debbie for weight loss purposes when she was young. I knew that this was not an uncommon practice by some physicians in the '50s and '60s, because I had girlfriends who also were given diet pills by another doctor when they were in high school.
Sherry said that Alan always felt that this was the beginning of Debbie's drug habits.
There's an old story out there that, before his death, Dr. Martin asked Federal Judge Louis Blanton to make sure that Milburn never got out of prison.
Makes me wonder what Judge Blanton's part is in this, and if there's anything that he could do to turn this around.
A sad story of revenge and regret. What a mess. I'd love to see Alan set free.
I think you are absolutely right concerning how Milburn got the ridiculous sentence. This is how our justice system works at times. Judges sometime have much more power than they should have. They are human and at times can be easily influenced. It happened in Milburn's case.
Debbie was not without issues, and her problems started early on and long before she was ever associated with Milburn. Although he failed to help her "problems", nothing that he personally did contributed to her death.
This is a sad case for all involved, but the person responsible for killing Debbie is now in jail awaiting trial. Maybe now her family can realize some relief in knowing the truth. God bless them.
grisgris

Saint Louis, MO

#58 Jul 21, 2009
eye spy wrote:
<quoted text>I think you are absolutely right concerning how Milburn got the ridiculous sentence. This is how our justice system works at times. Judges sometime have much more power than they should have. They are human and at times can be easily influenced. It happened in Milburn's case.
Debbie was not without issues, and her problems started early on and long before she was ever associated with Milburn. Although he failed to help her "problems", nothing that he personally did contributed to her death.
This is a sad case for all involved, but the person responsible for killing Debbie is now in jail awaiting trial. Maybe now her family can realize some relief in knowing the truth. God bless them.
I totally agree.

I've had a crazy daydream about approaching Judge Blanton, personally,-- with no aggression whatsoever -- and just planting the idea that perhaps it might be fair and just if someone at least looked at the case to see whether some things might be better considered with all that we know now.

But then it would be improper to handle it like that, and it wouldn't get us anywhere.

Judges have no authority to instigate these kinds of actions. Blanton couldn't do anything even if he wanted to.

It'll take a high-ranking politician to intervene on Alan's behalf.

So how about this: The governor grants clemency. What do you think?
eye spy

Chesterfield, MO

#59 Jul 21, 2009
grisgris wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree.
I've had a crazy daydream about approaching Judge Blanton, personally,-- with no aggression whatsoever -- and just planting the idea that perhaps it might be fair and just if someone at least looked at the case to see whether some things might be better considered with all that we know now.
But then it would be improper to handle it like that, and it wouldn't get us anywhere.
Judges have no authority to instigate these kinds of actions. Blanton couldn't do anything even if he wanted to.
It'll take a high-ranking politician to intervene on Alan's behalf.
So how about this: The governor grants clemency. What do you think?
Our governor has no jurisdiction, it's a federal case. If any action is taken it will need to initiated from the US Attorneys office in St. Louis.
grisgris

Saint Louis, MO

#60 Jul 21, 2009
eye spy wrote:
<quoted text>Our governor has no jurisdiction, it's a federal case. If any action is taken it will need to initiated from the US Attorneys office in St. Louis.
You're right. I hadn't thought of that. Damn. Seems hopeless.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sikeston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Name some sayings you have heard [10/22/13] (Oct '13) 6 min night machine 377
crazy bart fitness (Aug '11) 15 min Too Much 224
Christmas and gift ideas 17 min cmmerchandise 1
Name something you crave (Jul '15) 20 min night machine 455
6 Word Sentence (Apr '15) 29 min Fairydust 2,118
True or False Game (Apr '14) 34 min Fairydust 3,548
music game (Sep '09) 54 min Fairydust 9,075

Sikeston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance