SIKESTON BAND SPECTATOR

Cape Girardeau, MO

#1 Oct 15, 2010
THE BAND ISN'T TOO BAD. I JUST WISH MORE PEOPLE WOULD TAKE AN INTEREST IN IT AND JOIN. SEEMS LIKE NOT ONLY THE SIKESTON BAND, BUT MANY OTHER AREA BANDS USED TO BE MUCH LARGER. A COUPLE OTHER POINTS ARE I WISH THEY WOULD BUY A FLAG OUTFIT THAT FLATTERS YOU, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR SIZE IS FROM SMALL TO BIG. I DON'T KNOW WHO IS IN CHARGE, BUT THEY NEED TO THINK ABOUT THAT YEAR AFTER YEAR. LASTLY, BRING BACK THE MAJORETTES (I HOPE OTHER BAND LEADERS AND SCHOOLS ARE READING). THEY USED TO ADD SO MUCH TO THE BAND. I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE AREN'T GIRLS WANTING TO BE A MAJORETTE. SOMEONE NEEDS TO TAKE THIS TO TASK AND GET IT GOING AGAIN.
band parent

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Oct 15, 2010
The marching band is not the schools only band, they also have a concert band that adds to the overall numbers in the band program. And the band directors have told me that no one has attempted to audition to be a twirler for the last 7 years.

The band kids work hard and I wish people would just appreciate that and enjoy the great football games we've been having!!

United States

#3 Oct 16, 2010
The band does the same performance (same songs, same marching routine, same little dance number by the flag people) at every football game, band festival and show all year long. Once you've seen it once, you've seen it. What exactly is there to get excited about?

Scott City, MO

#4 Oct 16, 2010
SIKESTON BAND SPECTATOR wrote:
THE BAND ISN'T TOO BAD. I JUST WISH MORE PEOPLE WOULD TAKE AN INTEREST IN IT AND JOIN. SEEMS LIKE NOT ONLY THE SIKESTON BAND, BUT MANY OTHER AREA BANDS USED TO BE MUCH LARGER. A COUPLE OTHER POINTS ARE I WISH THEY WOULD BUY A FLAG OUTFIT THAT FLATTERS YOU, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR SIZE IS FROM SMALL TO BIG. I DON'T KNOW WHO IS IN CHARGE, BUT THEY NEED TO THINK ABOUT THAT YEAR AFTER YEAR. LASTLY, BRING BACK THE MAJORETTES (I HOPE OTHER BAND LEADERS AND SCHOOLS ARE READING). THEY USED TO ADD SO MUCH TO THE BAND. I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE AREN'T GIRLS WANTING TO BE A MAJORETTE. SOMEONE NEEDS TO TAKE THIS TO TASK AND GET IT GOING AGAIN.
why are you yelling?
jdr

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Oct 19, 2010
band was fun when i was in school
golden oldie

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Oct 20, 2010
I think, with so many people lost/losing their jobs, parents just can not afford to rent/buy band equipment.
former band member

Memphis, TN

#7 Oct 20, 2010
If I'm not mistaken don't you still have to take the test to start band in 6th grade? I think the numbers are getting low because kids just don't stick with band until they graduate. I agree with Sikeston Band Spectator, whoever the color guard (flag) instructor is I don't think they have much experience in teaching them. They should have a different outfit every year and they are ok but compared to other schools (Poplar Bluff, Cape) they look like they just picked up a flag. Other than that, I think the music is great. People need to remember that Sikeston is a competition marching band. They work hard during the summer memorizing all the music, drills, and routines to compete with schools who have been doing this years before Sikeston became a competitive marching band. I applaud the directors who have taken over since Mr. Cowan, Mr. Curry, Mrs. Fuchs, and the legend Mr. Collins. Sikeston's band was once one of the best in the state. Now the current directors have the daunting task of getting these kids on the same pages as the Cape's, Jackson's, and Poplar Bluff's where the kids there are excited about music and it shows with the numbers of their marching band, the creativity of their shows which BTW they also are competitive marching bands except Jackson and play the same show through the marching season, and the numbers that actually try out for and make the all-district and all-state band. I say keep working hard current band directors, you are doing an awesome job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sikeston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
where did the repo guys go? 34 min Guest 30
- end of the Word game - (Jul '11) 2 hr _Zoey_ 3,522
* The ALPHABET Game * (Jul '11) 3 hr _Zoey_ 4,929
Keep a Word - Drop a Word (Dec '09) 3 hr _Zoey_ 11,876
Two words-last lettet of last word game (Sep '13) 3 hr _Zoey_ 1,917
tori groves 5 hr guest 9
music game (Sep '09) 18 hr Fairydust 6,384
More from around the web

Sikeston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE