What are you making for dinner

Scott City, MO

#3073 Jun 29, 2010
dinner salad & steamed tilapia, watermelon for dessert
dad

House Springs, MO

#3074 Jun 29, 2010
I love smoked sausage cooked in my black eyed peas. I also love purple hull peas too. They are my favorite. My aunt puts a little jalapano pepper in her peas too. Just a couple of small pieces - not a whole pepper - it really makes them good too. I usually serve cornbread with this also. I love turnip green too - and when I cook them I add a little ( I mean about 1/4 tsp) of crushed red pepper flakes when they are cooking too. Makes them really good.
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>Well darn but that sounds good. You got my mouth watering,LOL. I'm having leftovers from sunday dinner today but I'm definitely gonna make myself the same meal you posted above for dinner one day this week. The one thing differently I do with my black eyes peas is that I cut up smoked sausage into them. Yummy.
dad

House Springs, MO

#3075 Jun 29, 2010
My grandmother used to make fried corn: Cut the corn off the cob and scrape the cob to get all the milk out of it. Heat some butter in your skillet, Pour in the corn, add some salt and pepper and a little sugar. Bring to a boil - turn down and simmer. Sometimes she would add a little evaporated milk ( she used Pet brand) maybe about 1/4 cup and stirred in. Taste is and see if it needs more s/p or sugar. Simmer about 20 or 30 minutes until tender.
Fried Okra: Cut up the Okra, salt and pepper it first, then mix a little flour and then cornmeal. Coat Okra in both flour and cornmeal. Pour into hot skillet with abour 1/4 inch of oil. Fry until browned - My grandmother used to cover it and simmer it a little at the end to make it tender.
Hope this helps;
Isaac2 wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband loves fried okra and fried fresh corn.(He talks about the way his mother used to fix these in different ways when he was growing up in Mississippi.) Would you please share your recipe for fixing both of these? Thank you.
Isaac2

Hertford, NC

#3076 Jun 29, 2010
dad wrote:
My grandmother used to make fried corn: Cut the corn off the cob and scrape the cob to get all the milk out of it. Heat some butter in your skillet, Pour in the corn, add some salt and pepper and a little sugar. Bring to a boil - turn down and simmer. Sometimes she would add a little evaporated milk ( she used Pet brand) maybe about 1/4 cup and stirred in. Taste is and see if it needs more s/p or sugar. Simmer about 20 or 30 minutes until tender.
Fried Okra: Cut up the Okra, salt and pepper it first, then mix a little flour and then cornmeal. Coat Okra in both flour and cornmeal. Pour into hot skillet with abour 1/4 inch of oil. Fry until browned - My grandmother used to cover it and simmer it a little at the end to make it tender.
Hope this helps;
<quoted text>
Thank you. This is going into my recipe file, in the "Special Dishes" section.

Our vegetable garden is beginning to flourish.

And I will also cook these two recipes for him, within the next week.

Have a great afternoon and evening, all.
dad

House Springs, MO

#3077 Jun 29, 2010
BBQ Pork Steaks
Baked Beans from scratch
Corn
dad

House Springs, MO

#3078 Jun 29, 2010
BBQ sauce recipe:makes 6 cups.

2 cups ketchup
2 cups tomato sauce
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
4 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Directions
1.In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix together the ketchup, tomato sauce, brown sugar, wine vinegar, molasses, liquid smoke and butter. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, celery seed, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper.
2.Reduce heat to low, and simmer for up to 20 minutes. For thicker sauce, simmer longer, and for thinner, less time is needed. Sauce can also be thinned using a bit of water if necessary. Brush sauce onto any kind of meat during the last 10 minutes of cooking.

Since: Apr 10

USA

#3079 Jun 29, 2010
Just love the summertime. My husband cooks outdoors on the grill.

We grilled vegetables and corn on the cob + cajun spiced talapia over wood smoke on the Weber and new boiled potatoes with parsley.

“Marcella Counts (Reynolds)”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#3080 Jun 29, 2010
dad wrote:
Hope this helps;
<quoted text>
My grandmother used to make fried corn before she got sick so it brings alot memory's back, thanks for sharing...
Isaac2

Hertford, NC

#3081 Jun 30, 2010
We are barbecuing bratwursts tonight. Serving potato salad with it and pork 'n beans, along with some sliced tomatoes.

This is a trial run on the new grill, as we are not used to the settings on it, and want to be exact (we hope) on our barbecue for the Fourth.

Weather has mellowed just a tad bit here; yesterday was really enjoyable outside, and today, as well as the next couple of days, have been predicted to be as nice - before the heat intensifies/returns. Temps down from the 90-100 range. In the 80s and breezy.

Have a great day, all!

(Thanks for posting the barbecue sauce recipe. Will use.)

dad

House Springs, MO

#3082 Jun 30, 2010
Anyone who makes this bbq sauce - let me know what you think. We love it. I usually make it and put it in old BBQ bottles and keep in the frig. I know people are always looking for new things - I know I like to try new recipes.
wizard

Memphis, TN

#3083 Jun 30, 2010
dad wrote:
Anyone who makes this bbq sauce - let me know what you think. We love it. I usually make it and put it in old BBQ bottles and keep in the frig. I know people are always looking for new things - I know I like to try new recipes.
my ol man makes sauce very similar to this but a couple of special ingredients he keeps to himself

Location hidden

#3084 Jun 30, 2010
Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper for the boys and I'm making a small pot of chicken & rice for us...
dad

House Springs, MO

#3085 Jun 30, 2010
I picked 2 small zuchinni, fresh tomatoes, 5 okra pods, 1 very small bell pepper and was given 2 ears of fresh corn. I think I will make a veggie medley out of all this for tomorrow with a little garlic, s/p. all of this cut up and sauted in a little olive oil as a side dish for my grilled chicken.

Scott City, MO

#3086 Jul 1, 2010
after work hubby is grilling burgers, too nice outside to stay in!

Location hidden

#3087 Jul 1, 2010
We're going to Chinese for lunch today.
Olivia Overalls

Hertford, NC

#3088 Jul 2, 2010
For dinner tonight --

In slow cooker: beans cooked in with chopped-up, honey-glazed ham - plus side dish of collard greens, served with corn bread, dill pickle and onion.

Dessert will be ice cream.

Location hidden

#3089 Jul 2, 2010
Olivia Overalls wrote:
For dinner tonight --
In slow cooker: beans cooked in with chopped-up, honey-glazed ham - plus side dish of collard greens, served with corn bread, dill pickle and onion.
Dessert will be ice cream.
I'll have to join you for dinner, joking but it sure does sounds good though.
dad

Saint Louis, MO

#3090 Jul 2, 2010
what is everyone doing for the 4th of July. What are you making for dinner. I am cooking BBQ Ribs ;and Pork Steaks, Baked Beans, Loaded potatoes. My kids don't like potato salad ( but I love it)

Location hidden

#3091 Jul 2, 2010
For 4th. of July we're BBQ'ing too.

-BBQ chicken with honey mustard glaze with pineapple tiblets
-Hot Dogs
-Polish Sausage
-Macaroni Salad
-Fried Potatoes w/ polish sausage & onions
-Corn on Cob with butter/herbs wrapped in foil and put onto the grill

Making fruit punch with sliced oranges and limes

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#3092 Jul 2, 2010
dad wrote:
Hope this helps;
<quoted text>
Yes Lord. I love fried corn too. When I make mine though I do all the above that you posted except instead of butter I fry up some bacon and I use a bit of H20 instead of milk and when the corn is about ready I add a bit of corn starch or flour and I crumble some of the bacon into it as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sikeston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two words-last lettet of last word game (Sep '13) 7 min Fairydust 3,063
Keep a Word - Drop a Word (Dec '09) 41 min Vector aka Victor... 13,860
Make a sentence from a 5 letter word (Jul '14) 43 min Vector aka Victor... 856
6 Word Sentence (Apr '15) 44 min Vector aka Victor... 144
music game (Sep '09) 47 min Vector aka Victor... 7,514
ymca 1 hr guest 9
News Delta Area Economic Opportunity Corporation red... (Sep '11) 2 hr Pissed off 54
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sikeston Mortgages