Growing up in the 80's & 90's
Too Cool

Cape Girardeau, MO

#61 Mar 25, 2009
Like Totally wrote:
You know what the first movie I remember watching at the theater was ET! I also remember going to see one of the Rocky Movies, three I think. Oh and the karate kid. I read the Outsiders when I was in like third grade, but never got to see the movie until I was alot older. Talk about some hotties! Whew Swayze, Rob Lowe, Matt Dillon oh my God I just loved me some Dallas Winston, and Ralph Machio was cute too. So was Tom Cruise back then before he got all weird! I always thought Emilio Estevez was kind of cute too, not hot just cute. Oh yeah and I remember watching that movie with Matt Dillon and Christy McNickel(sp?)and Tatum O'Neil, where the girls bet on who was gonna lose their virginity first! I was so young I didn't know what virginity meant, my older sister told me it meant they hadn't had a "real boyfriend" yet! Wow I was such a little nerd.
I believe that was called Little Darlings.

I also loved 16 candles and The Breakfast Club!
Too Cool

Cape Girardeau, MO

#62 Mar 25, 2009
Bleh wrote:
I remember there were a lot of comedies in the 80's that always seemed to be about a group of guys who all worked in the same place (a resort, a summer camp, etc..)...or maybe they were just all going somewhere on vacation.
And the group almost always broke down like this:
The Cool Guy - Who cared about nothing and had no respect for authority.
The Cool Guy's Friend - Who was basically the cool guy but a little more grounded and sensible; maybe he had a steady girlfriend or something.
The Big Fat Party Animal - aka the John Belushi type. Usually wore a Hawaiian shirt.
The Sensitive Guy - He was with the group, but not of them. This character would always hook up with some girl later on in the movie. And sometimes the sensitive guy would also be:
The Nerd - who by the end of the movie would learn how to be a party animal.(His science and computer knowledge would come in handy.)
And sometimes but not always...
The Guy from the Wrong Side of the Tracks - He was more serious then the other guys, more working class, and more eager to get into fights.
And these characters always had a nemesis who was usually a rich guy who wanted to tear down the resort or buy up all the beach property or something.
And they would always pull a "hilarious prank" on this guy, like sending strippers to his fancy dinner party.
And, at the end of the movie, there was always this weird competition they had to win, like, "Wait a second! It says here that if we win the skiing trophy then the contract becomes null and void!"
Aaaahhh yes, they don't make movies like this anymore! LOL And I admit, I loved every second of these kinds of movies back then!
redneck girl

AOL

#63 Mar 25, 2009
The Breakfast Club was and will always be my favorite movie!
Like Totally

Saint Louis, MO

#64 Mar 25, 2009
Yeah that's what it was called! I can remember like the whole movie, but I couldn't remember the name. I tried to call my dumb old sister and ask her but she never called me back! I even remember that song that played at the end of the movie, Let Your Love Flow!
flashback

Saint Louis, MO

#65 Mar 25, 2009
Too Cool wrote:
<quoted text>
Aaaahhh yes, they don't make movies like this anymore! LOL And I admit, I loved every second of these kinds of movies back then!
Actually I have seen a few movies that kind of follow this model lately. Like Kickin it Old School, Dodgeball, Blades of Glory, all these movies remind me of eighties movies, I was just saying that to my kids the other night! Oh and a lot of Adam Sandler movies have that eighties vibe, where the underdog wins or the good guys always prevail somehow.
Like Totally

Saint Louis, MO

#66 Mar 25, 2009
Hey since we are on the topic of movies does anyone remember the name of that movie about the rockstar that had died and this boy played his record backward and it brought him back? It was supposed to be a scary movie and it had Ozzy Osbourne in it as a preacher and Gene Simmons played a DJ , a band called Fastway did the soundtrack. I would like to try and find the Soundtrack but I can't remember what the movie was called.
AJ Draw

Saint Louis, MO

#67 Mar 25, 2009
Like Totally wrote:
Hey since we are on the topic of movies does anyone remember the name of that movie about the rockstar that had died and this boy played his record backward and it brought him back? It was supposed to be a scary movie and it had Ozzy Osbourne in it as a preacher and Gene Simmons played a DJ , a band called Fastway did the soundtrack. I would like to try and find the Soundtrack but I can't remember what the movie was called.
Trick or Treat. It's from 1986. Cheesy movie...but Gene Simmons was pretty cool as the dj.
Bleh

United States

#68 Mar 25, 2009
I think, maybe, the movie you're talking about is called Trick or Treat.
Like Totally

Saint Louis, MO

#69 Mar 25, 2009
Yes that is it! Thanks, Now that yall said it I'm all yeah I knew that!
Bleh

United States

#70 Mar 25, 2009
here are three semi-obscure movies that I used to watch obsessively as a kid:

1. The Monster Squad - so much great politically incorrect stuff in this movie: the kids calling each other "faggot" (you know, like real kids do), the kids smoking, cursing and using firearms against the monsters, a seriously mean Dracula grabbing a little eight-year-old girl by the face, lifting her off the ground and calling her a b-tch. In comparison, kids movies today are a bunch of watered down, namby pamby P.C. nonsense. Probably the most quoted moment of this movie is when the character Fat Kid (the Eric Cartman of the group) kicks the wolfman in the crotch and then says, "Wolfman's got nards!"

Some scenes I remember:

Dracula (after having tossed a lit stick of Dynamite into the Monster Squad's treehouse and blowing it up): "Meeting adjourned."

(Why don't they have cheesy one-liners in movies anymore? They were so much fun.)

And this scene...

"Hey Fat Kid. Nice Job."

Fat Kid (Holding a shotgun): My name....IS HORACE!(Fat kid pumps the shotgun: shick shack!)

It probably doesn't hold up anymore, but, to a twelve-year me, that movie was the sh-t!

2. Night of the Creeps - from the same director as The Monster Squad, and also criminally ignored; last time I checked it wasn't even available on DVD. But, this was Planet Terror 20 years ahead of its time and better. It crams about as many genres from the 1980's as possible into one movie...there are ETs, slugs from outerspace, zombies, a mad killer with an axe, frat dudes, geeks, and a suicidal alcoholic detective.

Probably the most famous dialogue exchange from the movie is when an army of frat zombies has surrounded a sorority house and the detective says, "Girls, I got good news and bad news. The good news is your dates are here."

“What’s the bad news?”

“They’re dead.”

And speaking of dead…

3 – Return of the Living Dead

1980’s punk rockers vs. nearly indestructible fast moving zombies that like to eat brains? Yes, please. This movie has my second favorite zombie ever (the first is Bub from the original Day of the Dead): Tar man! Tar man is awesome! He’s so slimy and gross and yet so happy to be eating brains. He rules!

Really funny part in this movie: some paramedics pull up in an ambulance and the zombies run out and eat them.

A dispatcher over the radio says,“What’s going on out there?”

A zombie picks up the CB and says,“Send more paramedics.”

Later, some cops pull up and the zombies run out and eat them.

A zombie picks up the CB and says,“Send more cops.”
AJ Draw

Saint Louis, MO

#71 Mar 25, 2009
Those 3 films are some of my favorite films. MS esspecailly "KICK HIM IN THE NARDS!" "Wolfman don't have nards!" kicks Wolfman in the balls "Wolfman has nards..." HAHA..

Creeps was great.

ROLD...I made my mother watch that one night it was on IFC and she just couldn't stop laughing. It was the stupidest thing she'd ever seen and was one of the greatest things to watch.

“not sugar coatin it for you!”

Since: Dec 08

charleston mo

#72 Mar 26, 2009
there used to be a poolhall off danforth street in charleston, in like 85/86, used to go with my sister and her friends! and remember dressing up like madonna all the time?! goin to the candy store to get the " push pops" not the ice cream but the hard candy you could push back down in the container when you had your fill?!!
Bleh

United States

#73 Mar 26, 2009
It seemed like every girl in my sixth grade class was reading VC Andrews Flowers in the Attic.
Emilee Rugburn

Saint Louis, MO

#75 Mar 26, 2009
I love all the eighties movies!!
Marshall

United States

#76 Mar 26, 2009
My favorite movie is still Blade Runner with Harrison Ford.
Bleh

United States

#77 Mar 27, 2009
Does anybody remember "The Wizard" starring Fred Savage?

It was basically one long commercial for Nintendo products; in the movie some kid uses "The Power Glove" and it makes it look like the coolest thing ever. Later, you, or one of your friends, would actually buy it, take it home, plug it in, and in about five minutes you'd realize, "THIS SUCKS!"
Bleh

United States

#78 Mar 27, 2009
Remember "Transformers: The Movie"?

Not the one with Shia Lebouf; the old one with Unicron, a giant planet-eating robot...and, with that totally 80's soundtrack that features "You Got the Touch!" (made somewhat famous by Dirk Diggler who also sings it in "Boogie Nights"?)

I can almost quote this entire movie verbatim.

One thing that's really crazy about it: by the standards of its day, it's really pretty violent. A lot of the transformers bite the dust in it...and they don't die off screen, they get effing blown away. When I was kid, I never cried at movies ("Yeah, Bambi's mom got shot by hunters, whatever."), But,I'm not going to lie: I lost my sh-t when when Optimus Prime died (haha).
Really

Saint Louis, MO

#79 Mar 27, 2009
What year did the transformers movie come out? I remember watching the cartoon everyday after school but I can't recall a movie. Don't remember the Fred Savage movie either i'm afraid, just the Wonder Years!

Abdal Azziz

“Not My Real Name”

Since: Jan 09

Chicago, IL

#80 Mar 27, 2009
Really wrote:
What year did the transformers movie come out? I remember watching the cartoon everyday after school but I can't recall a movie. Don't remember the Fred Savage movie either i'm afraid, just the Wonder Years!
The original movie was released in 1986.
Bleh

United States

#81 Mar 27, 2009
The IMDB says it came out in 1986...I remember it wasn't in theaters very long...it played for, like, a week at the Malco (actually it might have been only a few days).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sikeston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
True or False Game (Apr '14) 2 hr Fairydust 2,917
Professional Offices 2 hr Guest 8
music game (Sep '09) 4 hr Fairydust 8,566
Make a sentence from a 5 letter word (Jul '14) 4 hr Fairydust 1,835
6 Word Sentence (Apr '15) 4 hr Fairydust 1,453
Sikeston Five letter word...Change one letter g... 5 hr Fairydust 653
Plastic found in my Hamburger at Sikeston Mcdon... (Jul '10) 6 hr suzy q 16

Sikeston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance