Review: Impact Basketball Academy

Posted in the Siesta Key Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
srq

Sarasota, FL

#2 Jan 27, 2011
We are considering Impact - shocked to read the bad review. Does anyone else have information? To 'bad place, New Berlin WI', did you son play on the team or just attend lessons? Who was his coach/es? Did you pull your kid out? How are the academics?
CBH

United States

#3 Feb 2, 2011
Think impact is great my son is there unlike other academies there is coach in the apartment
Better than some that have few staff looking after a heap of kids and little supervision at ball
Matt hiller is fantastic he is great with kids and they love him he is highly motivated
And motivating
why anyone would bring up his sexual harassment incident with out knowing everything about it sounds like some one sucking on sour grapes if you ask me
As for language I hear way worse coming from kids and boys will be boys you can not wrap them in cotton wool
As for the bus well that could do with upgrading as far as interns not having licenses well that is wrong ask the police !
Compared to many other academies Impact is well priced
As for getting to college no one can do that for any kids on basketball skills alone
And the school,teachers attached to impact are brilliant!
So I am sorry but would have to totally disagree with the first review here!
Parent

Spring Hill, FL

#4 Feb 4, 2011
My son is at Impact in Sarasota right now. They have a great staff and Coach Matt is Awesome. He treats my son like he is his own. Sounds like a disgruntled employee or something. I know all the kids personally and they are very happy with the training and staff. The training is amazing!
GRA

Invercargill, New Zealand

#5 Feb 19, 2011
My son is at Impact and loves it. I have personally been there twice and watched the training and I believe it is top rate. As for Matt the guys "love " him and he is a strong motivator. I agree with the previous respondent.
4 to a room, yes, which is not much different from boarding school. I know of another Academy and I have seen the Coach in action and frankly I was shocked at the abuse when they did not play well and the shouting and screaming directed at the players. When I asked a parent from that Academy she responded that they are used to it and the Coach reckoned he did not get action unless he acted this way. As a Principal of a school I disagree with that and believe the Impact way is way better.
Joe

El Monte, CA

#7 Nov 6, 2011
I went there from England this year. I had a jolly time with the boys, but it just wasnt for me.
Apparantly there is a 22 year old kid there?
Stein

Madrid, Spain

#9 Feb 25, 2013
My son was in EUROPE BASKETBALL ACADEMY and he was very satisfied there.Great coaches, buffet meals and hotel accommodation, games every week. He spent there 6 months and they put my son on a full scholarship in USA. Great experience for my son.
I recommend to everyone....
www.europebasketballacademy.com
Player

Sarasota, FL

#10 May 29, 2013
srq wrote:
We are considering Impact - shocked to read the bad review. Does anyone else have information? To 'bad place, New Berlin WI', did you son play on the team or just attend lessons? Who was his coach/es? Did you pull your kid out? How are the academics?
Impact basketball academy is a bad place for your kid. First of all, coach Matt Hiller doesn't really care about all the kids at his academy. He should be the head coach and he comes to the practice maybe twice a month. School is very bad, you dont do nothing, usually the kids are just sleeping in the classroom. The worst part is food, they are telling you that they have sport nutrition, but the reality is different. A lot of times you just get chips for lunch or not cooked chicken and after is hard to practice if your body doesn't get enough food for energy. Your son will also be leaving in the apartment, which are nice, but the problem is that in one apartment you have 8 kids, which is way to much. If you are interested, that they will find you scholarship for you son, they won't. They are telling you that you have to wait and wait and it's the end of the yeat and their recruiting is very very bad. I wouldn't write this if I wouldn't be so dissapointed about Impact and I think you can find much better academies in USA. It seems that here the director Tom Carollo and Matt Hiller care just about the money, which is hardly earned by the parents who pay for their kids.
Chris

Sydney, Australia

#11 Jul 14, 2013
Stein wrote:
My son was in EUROPE BASKETBALL ACADEMY and he was very satisfied there.Great coaches, buffet meals and hotel accommodation, games every week. He spent there 6 months and they put my son on a full scholarship in USA. Great experience for my son.
I recommend to everyone....
Stein, has the academy put many kids into US colleges?
GRA

Christchurch, New Zealand

#12 Jul 14, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately they do give false hope.
Stein-you must be the only one. Don't know of any and my son was there a year.
Chris

Sydney, Australia

#13 Jul 14, 2013
GRA wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately they do give false hope.
Was your son given any oppurtunities though? and how did he enjoy it? We are deciding whether it's worth going?
GRA

Christchurch, New Zealand

#15 Oct 2, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Was your son given any oppurtunities though? and how did he enjoy it? We are deciding whether it's worth going?
He enjoyed the experience but it didn't lead to a College scholarship as we were led to believe. Don't believe any of the boys were successful.
Brenda

Madrid, Spain

#16 Jan 7, 2014
I read some comments about EUROPE BASKETBALL ACADEMY in Spain here and everything i have to say is that my son was there for full 9 months and he is now in USA on scholarship so for my son this academy was very very good. He had his own single room in hotel 10 minutes away from facility walking distance. Also all meals were included in price and I was very happy that i did not need to send him extra food money as they covered everything. What is also important is that EUROPE BASKETBALL ACADEMY is almost 3 times cheaper then Impact and they provide top service for 10687 EUR my son was there 9 months and received full service I was just sending him money for snacks. My son got numbers in SAT they asked to be above 1800 so to offer superior athlete and student in one and he did SAT several times until he got target numbers. I was told on the beginning that if my son do not put himself fully towards basketball that he will not get what he is looking for and i really appreciate everything they did for my son. They practiced a lot - 5 hours everyday, they played games and my son will always come back there to improve during summer break.

Brenda
Bill

United States

#17 Jan 15, 2014
My son goes to Impact and the place is a joke!!! They tell all the players that their is going to be Coaches (College) at the games.. Theres 20 to 23 kids!!! They play favorites, even if your son is better!!! I paid alot of money while some played hardly anything!!! Matt isn't even the Coach!! My son is so upset!!! The dream is shattered, while they get new cars on our money and kids dreams!!! Don't go there !!!! Not one person will go anywhere!!! I paid more than anyone and they told my son it didn't include Lunch!!!!!
Robert

Bradenton, FL

#18 Feb 22, 2014
I am surprised at some of the negative comments made about Impact and especially Matt Hiller. I have been a basketball coach at 3 division 1 programs in the course of 22 years and am now a head coach at a division 3 school in the northeast. The place is great! Hiller is highly motivating and does an outstanding job with those kids. These players get professional training and truth be told I use 90% of Hillers drills with my athletes. College basketball is a business and the reality is most of the student athletes that enroll in the program would have NO CHANCE of playing college basketball without Impact! In all my years of coaching I have NEVER seen a person work as hard as Matt Hiller! Unfortunately a lot of people believe everything they read online. Some things that you won't read are how Matt Hiller spends countless hours contacting coaches, watching film, and looking for the best opportunity for everyone of his players. I will continue to recruit players from Impact because each athlete is prepared for life as a collegiate student athlete. Keep up the great work in the sunshine state! See you in a few weeks!
Adirolf Hitler

Sarasota, FL

#19 Feb 22, 2014
"[T]he World Economic Forum ranked this country 48th out of 133 developed and developing nations in quality of math and science instruction" (From the New York Times.) Maybe our colleges and universities should be handing out scholarships for something other than basketball ability. Or am I crazy?
Country girl

Sarasota, FL

#20 Apr 7, 2014
I don't see anything wrong with impact basketball team even tho they are loud
Jose

Barcelona, Spain

#21 Nov 30, 2014
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that this year 7 kids went to USA from Europe Basketball Academy. Coach Premovic have large network in USA through players that he placed in Europe in past on professional contracts and these players are now all over USA in coaching staffs.
Marco

Barcelona, Spain

#22 Nov 30, 2014
srq wrote:
I don't know about Impact but I would recommend to everyone to attend Europe Basketball Academy. I was there for a 3 months, I met top European coaches, they helped me to start my professional career in Europe and they helped many players to get USA scholarship as I know they have big connections in usa. www.europebasketballacademy.com
Jose

Barcelona, Spain

#23 Nov 30, 2014
GRA wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately they do give false hope.
Maybe your son wasn't good enough with all do respect. I know a lot of kids went to usa.
atirup

Laguna Niguel, CA

#24 Dec 4, 2014
my son has played college 4 years. He played a few months in germany and france, but was not picked up by a team yet. To keep playing and further his career, would this be a good place to consider going to meet some coaches, agents, and increase his skills in the process?
Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Siesta Key Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donald Trum ed 23 hr p off 1
Dixie flag ... sarasota Thu Just a normal guy 2
Bill Warner Private investigator Jun 27 animal planet 11
News Community Spotlight: The Jewish Federation of S... Jun 27 lavon affair 3
Quality of life in / around Sarasota (Mar '11) Jun 27 In Living Color 20
Debate: Nuclear Power - Sarasota, FL (Apr '11) Jun 24 Anonymous 16
Corrupt Sarasota Judges Trick land innocent wom... (Apr '14) Jun 21 indict the sayanim 16
More from around the web

Siesta Key People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Siesta Key Mortgages