Altadena schools hit hard by PUSD con...

Altadena schools hit hard by PUSD consolidation plan

There are 90 comments on the Pasadena Star-News story from Oct 9, 2010, titled Altadena schools hit hard by PUSD consolidation plan. In it, Pasadena Star-News reports that:

Get the scoop on schools, teachers and students. Visit our Education page for more articles and photos.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Star-News.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
its only money

United States

#1 Oct 10, 2010
I would rather see PUSD working on "evictions" instead of trying to put together another mail-in parcel tax election.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#2 Oct 10, 2010
The commitee was told Norma Coombs had to be moved? Why and by whom. Who made this decision?
question

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Oct 10, 2010
I thought the district upgraded their office, so why move after spending/wasting the money to do so?Closing the schools won't boundary lines have to be moved around?How many more teachers are going to be given pink slips since they all can't go to other schools?I realize Norma Coombs isn't happy about moving but if it gets to stay together vs.closing isn't that better?How much money will PUSD lose if Altadena gets its own district?
fred flintstone

United States

#4 Oct 10, 2010
Many Live on a Fixed Income Here, WHEN WILL THEY WORK WITHIN THERE MEANS

Tired of being TAX TAX TAX for Kids that Can't even Add or Spell.

People are ALWAYS FOOLED WHEN THEY HEAR ITS FOR THE CHILDREN, KISS MY Axx

WAKE UP ITS FOR THE UNIONS $$$$$$ PENSIONS
local

Atwood, CA

#5 Oct 10, 2010
Why can't the district move their offices to the Burbank school they are closing?

“End Corporate Domination!”

Since: Oct 08

Santa Cruz

#6 Oct 10, 2010
The closure of all these schools, and the unnecessary movement of Coombs, is emblematic of the problems facing schools throughout the USA. The problems have nothing to do with teachers or teachers' unions -- but they have everything to do with administrations. School administrations and administrators are corporatist and parasitic. Top administrators are overpaid by a factor of 2 to 5, and being overpaid as they are they always feel justified in having many underling minions.

If administrators were chosen or elected by the teachers and the parents, instead of appointed from above by other administrators, it would be a far different story, and administrations would be focused on student education instead of self-perpetuation, empire-building, and profiteering.
Wilma

Covina, CA

#7 Oct 10, 2010
Fred Flinstone, you're an idiot. Your grammar sucks, which is why we need more schools and money for them!

California spending, per pupil, is 44th to 48th in the nation, depending on the report you read. Perhaps we should be like Mississippi in education, dead last - in funding, spending, high school graduation rates, etc...

Remember you get what you pay for!

Go to Mississippi where there are no unions (right to work) and school funding is abysmal if you don't like it here.

Parents is PUSD would be best served by holding their children out of school by doing organized home school strike, to prove their point to the state of California that education is a right that shall not be shortchanged. This is how PUSD gets its money, by students being in school every day. You want funding for it, you have to demand it, or you'll all be fighting for the scraps like Norma Coombs parents are having to do with their school.

The symptoms of the problems in PUSD are in part, due to state funding issues. Pasadena just has to deal with them. How they deal with is a matter of opinion, but the ultimate cause is the state's shortchanging of our youth's education.

Vote in people who value education.
Norma Coombs Eviction

Yuma, AZ

#8 Oct 10, 2010
Thank you Nancy Dufford for stating the obvious about NCAS and the Ed Centers fixation with occupying 2600 East Paloma. You seemed to be the only member that could see value in opposing the request to evict our community.
PUSD Scare tactics

Pasadena, CA

#9 Oct 10, 2010
Once again the PUSD is trying to terrify parents to get them to vote in a new Parcel Tax.
no fair

Altadena, CA

#10 Oct 10, 2010
so many fond memories on that campus as a kid. I remember when they had the drama school on the corner
Sylvia Gutierrez

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Oct 10, 2010
It's payback time for the AUSD petition!
Hilary Henderson

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Oct 10, 2010
Another parcel tax is coming around the corner.
Todd Mizuki

United States

#13 Oct 10, 2010
I was a Pasadena student all my life, yet the school being subject to closure is sure sucks.
It is bad PUSD sold my elementry school Lincoln
Elementry to make a USPS main office then later
they up rooted my junior high and then now the ed center and as well as the Mckinley what ever happen to Pasadena histortical thinking. Most of all the
schools that are being subject to closires or have are PUSD early schools first Lincoln then Linda
Vista now Jackson and they have plans to also shut down San Rafeal and to trash the ed center is sick to all the adults before my years we all went either had some type of comminity service in the Ed Center as for me KQI29 and the PUSD/PPD Drug Alert Program and Youth Services projects.
We need to trash the ones operating PUSD now and reorganized with ones that provided students educations and still keep PUSD heritage.
Today PUDS is money, money, money and no no no to student projects.
Sad

Anaheim, CA

#14 Oct 10, 2010
A Parcel Tax will never pass as long as the majority of middle/upper class families in Pasadena are still sending their children to private schools. I as one of those, have wanted to support PUSD and send my children to a Pubic school but stuff like this confirms my belief no matter how much money You throw at PUSD it wont matter. Im beyond mad just sad. Looks like my kids are staying at their private school with where the t-s ratio is half of public's for now.
Denise Johnson

Long Beach, CA

#15 Oct 10, 2010
What I find so interesting about these posts is that no one has considered the message we are sending our children. By uprooting the children that presently go to Burbank Elementary and offering the children of Norma Coombs their school, we are teaching Burbank and Norma Coombs children a terrible lesson. We are teaching them that one child is more valuable than another. We are teaching them that the bottom line is their API score. How can we be so heartless as a community that we would do this to our children? As a kindergarten teacher at Burbank Elementary who was uprooted from Noyes when it was closed, I can only say that I am deeply disappointed in the level of selfishness and complete disregard for the feelings of our children. I challenge this district to find a way to allow all of the children of Burbank Elementary to stay at this campus with the children from Norma Coombs. I don't care what you name this school, but you have no right to 'evict' our children simply because our API scores are not as high as Norma Coombs.
Disappointed with PUSD

Pasadena, CA

#16 Oct 10, 2010
My heart goes out to the parents of the schools recommended for closure. As a parent of NCAS, I can tell you that we do not want to be moved. PUSD has been focusing on our location from the very beginning and has not given us a reason why. My only guess is that the location and nearby park allow for easier access and additional parking for their employees. Other than that, why can't they use an existing facility that has already been closed? The cost of running this facility is similar to other facilities. It is a small campus. Do they want to be closer to the 210? Do they want to have prime parking next to the end of the Rose parade? Do their employees need somewhere to play during lunch and after work? I have not heard one reasonable explanation as to why they are so bent on this location. PUSD motives are very questionable and untrustworthy.
South Pas resident

Los Gatos, CA

#17 Oct 10, 2010
its only money wrote:
I would rather see PUSD working on "evictions" instead of trying to put together another mail-in parcel tax election.
your a loser, pipe down. your portion of the tax dollars is just a squirt in the bucket.
Altadena resident

Los Gatos, CA

#18 Oct 10, 2010
fred flintstone wrote:
Many Live on a Fixed Income Here, WHEN WILL THEY WORK WITHIN THERE MEANS
Tired of being TAX TAX TAX for Kids that Can't even Add or Spell.
People are ALWAYS FOOLED WHEN THEY HEAR ITS FOR THE CHILDREN, KISS MY Axx
WAKE UP ITS FOR THE UNIONS $$$$$$ PENSIONS
learn how to type old man. take your fixed income and move on to the retirement home you old, unimportant fart.
Denise Johnson

Long Beach, CA

#19 Oct 10, 2010
Disappointed with PUSD wrote:
My heart goes out to the parents of the schools recommended for closure. As a parent of NCAS, I can tell you that we do not want to be moved. PUSD has been focusing on our location from the very beginning and has not given us a reason why. My only guess is that the location and nearby park allow for easier access and additional parking for their employees. Other than that, why can't they use an existing facility that has already been closed? The cost of running this facility is similar to other facilities. It is a small campus. Do they want to be closer to the 210? Do they want to have prime parking next to the end of the Rose parade? Do their employees need somewhere to play during lunch and after work? I have not heard one reasonable explanation as to why they are so bent on this location. PUSD motives are very questionable and untrustworthy.
Dear Dissappointed in PUSD:
I think we should march on the school board when they finalize this decision and demand that they show equity to all of the children involved. They need to find a way to allow the children that Burbank serves to stay on with the Norma Coombs children. After all, all of the fifth grade classes from both schools will be moving on to middle school and our Mandarin Immersion Program will be relocated to another site. I see no reason why they can't accomodate us. This situation has brought all of us pain and if it is not resolved fairly, it will make it difficult for both you and me to explain this to our children.
Lesson Learned

Covina, CA

#20 Oct 10, 2010
Unfortunately, the lesson learned is that API scores are important. If your children's school is not doing well, then they will think it is time to close it. In fact, it is one of the options under NCLB, though I understand that Burbank is not entirely failing.
This is the era of high stakes testing that we are in and the wrong direction direction our schools in the US are headed towards. There will always be those who are successful and those who are not. Schools that aren't working need more resources. Norma Coombs is more successful because it is made up of mostly "Open Enrollment" parents who value a good education for their children - a somewhat charter within PUSD, not because it is better by virtue of just being Norma Coombs or its location. You want good schools, it takes effort mostly from students, first, parents second, community, and then it's teachers and schools.
If you don't want your school closed, make sure your children are learning and contributing to their local school's success. Or you can be the squeaky wheel that gets the grease like Norma Coombs parents.
We will always be a country of haves and have nots because those who are oppressed do not stand up for themselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sierra Madre Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump won get over it or leave the country. 3 min Proud American 1
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Chosen Traveler 32,719
News Man stabbed by gang members (Feb '09) 3 hr tellinitlikeitis 183
News 'Hate does not make America great': Protesters ... 6 hr ThomasA 5
News Planned power outages today in La Puente and In... (May '10) 19 hr Charles 10
bro. larry/mater dolorosa/la salle h.s. Dec 24 mary dickles 1
News Mexico tourism expects momentum to continue int... (Jan '16) Jan '16 ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 3

Sierra Madre Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sierra Madre Mortgages