Community Commercial Kitchens Small homemade food businesses

Posted in the Sicklerville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Cyndi D

Reston, VA

#1 Jul 12, 2007
I am trying to create a SMALL startup homemade food business and I would like to begin at the Collingswood/Haddonfield farmer's market. In order to be a vendor, I need to be insured and everything I make needs to come from a commercial kitchen. I have read about community commercial kitchens in which small business owners can use/rent, some of which will even provide advice for new business ventures. I am wondering if there are more individuals trying to start a small food/catering/specialty business that are having the same difficulties and are interested in starting something such as this. Also, if someone can offer some kind of advice about govt. resources or culinary schools that may want to be involved in a project like this. I would think this would benefit local growers as well. Any feedback would be appreciated.
janis j

Royersford, PA

#2 Jul 20, 2007
Cindy,
I have been looking for the same thing. Please let me know if you found a rental
Cyndi

Reston, VA

#3 Jul 20, 2007
janis j wrote:
Cindy,
I have been looking for the same thing. Please let me know if you found a rental
Janis,
I will let you know as soon as I find one....I'm leaning toward schools (closed for the summer) or churches...all inspected so I'm needing a food handler's license. Do you have an existing business?
Kathy T

Greenville, IN

#4 Jul 21, 2007
I am in Indianpolis, and trying to get info from the state regarding pet food/treats. I find it very difficult to find anyone who know FOR SURE if I need to use a commercial kitchen. A friend of mine in the restuarant industry suggested that I talk with independent/non-franchise restuarant owners about using/renting their kitchens after hours. Has anyone had any success with this?
Joan L

Shirley, IN

#5 Sep 2, 2007
Cyndi,

I, too, am faced with the same problem. I am trying to start a small homemade food business. I have searched extensively for any existing businesses with a commercial kitchen who would be willing to rent their kitchen to me (or a portion of their kitchen) but responses have been either "No. Too much liability" or the rent was quite high; not anything a start up business could afford. Please let me know what you find out. I am happy to pass along any information I find if any of you are interested.
Cyndi D wrote:
I am trying to create a SMALL startup homemade food business and I would like to begin at the Collingswood/Haddonfield farmer's market. In order to be a vendor, I need to be insured and everything I make needs to come from a commercial kitchen. I have read about community commercial kitchens in which small business owners can use/rent, some of which will even provide advice for new business ventures. I am wondering if there are more individuals trying to start a small food/catering/specialty business that are having the same difficulties and are interested in starting something such as this. Also, if someone can offer some kind of advice about govt. resources or culinary schools that may want to be involved in a project like this. I would think this would benefit local growers as well. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Joan L

Shirley, IN

#6 Sep 2, 2007
Cyndi,

I, too, am trying to start up a small homemade food business. I have approached some small bakeries about renting their commercial kitchens as well as replying to some posts at various websites but the responses have either been "No. Not interested in taking on any liability." or "Sure - for just $1,000+ a month you can rent kitchen space in our after hours." But, I can't afford to pay that much in rent as a start up - especially when the hours needed are few to start with. Please let me know if you find anything. I am also happy to pass along any info I run across as well - if you are interested.
Rachel

Franklin Lakes, NJ

#7 Sep 27, 2007
I'm looking too! Trying to vend at local fairs and I need a commercial kitchen. I'd heard churches sometimes rent them but so far, a few have shot me down. Anyone finds anything please get me at cupcakegirlbakery@yahoo.com. THANKS!
Jeani

Mesquite, TX

#8 Oct 3, 2007
I have been looking for a commercial kitchen too, but have decided to creat my own. I am investigating a small storefront on Indy's south side and would be willing to rent the place when I am not using it...are you interested?
Cyndi D wrote:
Jeani

Mesquite, TX

#9 Oct 3, 2007
I have been looking for a commercial kitchen too, but have decided to creat my own. I am investigating a small storefront on Indy's south side and would be willing to rent the place when I am not using it...are you interested?
janis j wrote:
Cindy,
Louis K

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Feb 10, 2008
Jeani wrote:
<quoted text>
I would also be interested in renting the kitchen on the southside. The other thing to remember is that you (the cook) has to be certified. Then if you give out samples of your food then you need a special food handler's permit. You have to get a permit for EACH event. They do not have blanket permits in Indiana. That means if you do a show in Indy one day you will need to get a permit from that county health dept. Then if you do a show the next day in another county you will have to get another permit from that county. I was told that in Ft. Wayne they are really picky in that the health dept. will come to your booth each day to see if you are compliant and will even stick a thermometer in your samples to make sure they are ok. The health dept. said you do not need a commercial kitchen for doggy treat type items. The other thing to think about is once you use the commercial kitchen to make your item then the health dept. wants to see where you are going to store it and storing at your house is not acceptable. The storage area has to be an approved area also.
judy brookman

Santa Fe, NM

#12 Feb 23, 2008
We need to rent a commercial kitchen in Santa Fe, New Mexico, any suggestions where to find what is available...
CrisC

Maple Shade, NJ

#13 Mar 1, 2008
For the women in NJ I suggest contacting Rutgers Univ and ask about the FEN program.(Food Entrepreners Network). There are some "incubator" kitchens available through them in Camden and somewhere in Gloucester County.

To all others I suggest they contact their local SBA or colleges w/a culinary program. They should be able to point you in the right direction.
Phyllis

Grant Park, IL

#14 Sep 30, 2008
Jeani wrote:
<quoted text>
I would be VERY interested. How is it coming along?
Phyllis

Grant Park, IL

#15 Sep 30, 2008
It says Chicago, but I live in Indianapolis.
Jake Goodwin

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Nov 3, 2008
Jeani wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this space still available? I am in need of commercial kitchen space on very rare basis. Trying to start my own catering business, so when i have clients, I will need to have space. Please let me know. Thank you
Jake Goodwin
J2catering
Jennifer

Boca Raton, FL

#17 Oct 1, 2009
I am looking for a commercial to rent too as I am starting a catering company and have been offered jobs that I have had to turn away. Please let me know if anyone can help
pam

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Dec 7, 2009
Phyllis wrote:
<quoted text>I would be VERY interested. How is it coming along?
did you get your kitchen? are you renting it now.Please respond to pamelai3@aol.com
Nancy Nearon

Aurora, IL

#19 Feb 15, 2010
Hello Jake,
Are you still in need of a commercial kitchen space?
If so reply to Nancy@noblesvillecatering.com
Pam

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Feb 18, 2010
-I am in Fishers too and looking for a commercial kitchen Did you find anything.
Jeani wrote:
<quoted text>
Pam

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Feb 18, 2010
I am in Fishers, In looking for a commercial kitchen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sicklerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A look back at some of Thomas Edison's greatest... Oct 17 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Anyone have memories of downtown Clementon in 5... (May '07) Oct 17 Dotty 817
Staeling IP Addreses Patricia Hernandez Oct 16 Listening in 2
Permit Chickens in Monroe Twp. (Jul '10) Oct 16 Chicken Lover 9
Review: Attentive Care Oct 14 Hammontonsenior 2
handicapped parking Oct 12 anonomous 1
Police Car Slams Into Dunkin' Donuts Oct 9 localguy1 1

Sicklerville News Video

Sicklerville Dating
Find my Match