Farmers market project plows forward

Farmers market project plows forward

There are 10 comments on the Lebanon Daily News story from May 11, 2011, titled Farmers market project plows forward. In it, Lebanon Daily News reports that:

Preliminary work is continuing on an upscale farmers market between Route 22 and Interstate 81 in East Hanover Township that is expected to bring more than 150 jobs to the area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lebanon Daily News.

Funky Tut

Reamstown, PA

#1 May 11, 2011
Will this be an ACTUAL farmer's market or a fauxmers market like the one downtown?
How Many

Newmanstown, PA

#2 May 11, 2011
How many farmer's markets can that area support ? It will bring 150 jobs to the area ? Really ? Thursday to Saturday ? I would think the people making "Amish" furniture are already employed- probably more then Thursday to Saturday. Most of the "Amish" markets are staffed by Mennonite children, probably not making a wage. What does this project do for the market at 743 and 22 - where the OWNER invested thousands of his own dollars to make the project succeed. This project is a classic waste of taxpayer money and won't ever be filled to capacity. Maybe Conrad can pay his property taxes in a timely manner and clean up his junk yards throughout the township.
Bruce

Washington, DC

#3 May 12, 2011
It has to be better than the crappy Lebanon Farmer's Market. I hope they actually sell products from people's farm and not junk candy and food.
Thomas Paine

Bainbridge, PA

#4 May 12, 2011
You want to go to a real farmer's market, go to Gratz. Every Friday.
Super-D

Hershey, PA

#5 May 12, 2011
I'm cheering for the fact it's not another national chain store! Wal-Marts are killing the small working people that actually produce and sell locally made products. Farmers markets are the kind of place people should patronize, it's patriotic!
Just the Facts

Champion, PA

#6 May 12, 2011
This project has no taxpayer support, so just get your facts right before you unleash your usual misguided nastiness.

Did you just want a Walmart instead? How about a big chain store convenience market? Or whatever they built at what used to be Lickdale?

Just give it a chance.
FACT

Dillsburg, PA

#7 May 12, 2011
Just the Facts wrote:
This project has no taxpayer support, so just get your facts right before you unleash your usual misguided nastiness.
Did you just want a Walmart instead? How about a big chain store convenience market? Or whatever they built at what used to be Lickdale?
Just give it a chance.
Maybe you can't read, A $900,000 Department of Community and Economic Development grant is being used to pay for infrastructure work, including stormwater, sewer and road improvements. While some believe that is FREE money - it is TAXPAYER MONEY -
architect

Lebanon, PA

#8 May 12, 2011
What a poor rendering.
quitwhining

Lebanon, PA

#9 May 13, 2011
FACT wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you can't read, A $900,000 Department of Community and Economic Development grant is being used to pay for infrastructure work, including stormwater, sewer and road improvements. While some believe that is FREE money - it is TAXPAYER MONEY -
Remove your head from your a$$ and do some research. DCED offers many grants and loans around the state for various businesses and industries. Since you seem to be jealous of this project, start one of your own and apply for funding. Maybe you could get some help. I'd rather see money spent in this local area than in Pittsburgh or Philly. Some of you aholes continue to amaze me. Someone wants to do a project, bring in jobs and money, and all you aholes do is whine. Waahhhh waaaah waaah.
Research

Highspire, PA

#10 May 13, 2011
quitwhining wrote:
<quoted text>
Remove your head from your a$$ and do some research. DCED offers many grants and loans around the state for various businesses and industries. Someone wants to do a project, bring in jobs and money, and all you aholes do is whine. Waahhhh waaaah waaah.
What research ? DCED is tax funded - any money flowing from it is tax payer money. Are you that dumb that because you don't see the dollar coming from your pocket, you don't realize you are paying it ? OR are you one of those without an income or property - and on welfare ? 150 jobs ? Really ? Thurs through Saturday ? Come on- get real. How many people could you employ for how long on 900,000 dollars =$10 90,000 hours - Is it considered a "job" if you work for 3 days ? If it is an "Amish" market, do they pay taxes ? Wages ? Lets see - Market in Lebanon, Market(s) in Palmyra, Market in Grantville - Market at Turnpike rest stop- Plus Green Dragon - and the others Lancaster County way. Are any of them "thriving" ? I don't think so. Bottom line - It is a wasteful expenditure of money at this stage. The AMISH or whoever will supply the market wont spend the money in Lebanon County - It isnt going to add jobs - and the bus stop across the street (another waste) will have the same 15 cars in it a day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shrewsbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seiling Furniture Co. Railroad, Pa (Aug '10) Thu Nadine in Friends... 26
News Red Lion family makes most of dog's last days Jun 15 Justellnthetruth 1
News Cider fest returns to Gettysburg May 26 He is sure gay 9
News Signs of prejudice (Aug '08) May 25 Dook29 100
News Zach Witman: 'Take a second look' (Dec '10) May '17 Concerned Parent 545
neighbors house needs saved (Oct '16) Apr '17 Fitus T Bluster 2
News Protesters aim to stop planned Mifflin House demo Feb '17 Steve Gratman 4

Shrewsbury Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance