Whole Foods/Fresh Market/Trader Joe's

Posted in the Shreveport Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
opaleeze

Santa Clara, CA

#1 May 19, 2010
Why, oh why don't we have any quality grocery stores with organic produce and meats?

My neighbor was at a conference and met a marketing exec for Whole Foods (based in Austin) who told her (because she asked) that Shreveport was on the long list to get a store, but that it wasn't considered a very health-conscious city. I guess they assume there wouldn't be the interest here and I'm sure they do enough market research to back that up.

Is there anyone else out there who would really love to have a Whole Foods or Fresh Market or Trader Joe's here in Shreveport? I have lived in smaller cities than this that had nice places to shop-why not here?

I wonder if we can start a letter-writing campaign to get one of these chains to come to Shreveport?
poindexter

Paducah, KY

#2 May 20, 2010
its called demographics. Per capita income, etc is too low for shreveport
Moose

Philadelphia, PA

#3 May 23, 2010
We have farmer's markets if you want fresh, local food. There's also local farmers and ranchers that will sell you beef, eggs, and chickens if you try to get in touch with them and work up a good relationship. Those stores cost too much and they really don't sell anything special. I don't think there would be much demand for their goods around here.
Pinky

Shreveport, LA

#4 May 23, 2010
Anybody know any good farms or farmers market in the area?
Moose

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Jun 1, 2010
There's one in festival plaza that should be opening up soon, next weekend I believe.
KeKe

Bossier City, LA

#6 Jun 12, 2010
Moose,
Oh Moose, Moose, Moose. The Farmer's Market is great, but it dosn't offer any organic fruits, vegetables or meat; there is a huge difference! The market also dosn't offer any fresh seafoods or other types of food. If and when you ever get the opportunity to experience a Traders Joes or Whole Foods, you will never shop a Walmart again!
Moose wrote:
We have farmer's markets if you want fresh, local food. There's also local farmers and ranchers that will sell you beef, eggs, and chickens if you try to get in touch with them and work up a good relationship. Those stores cost too much and they really don't sell anything special. I don't think there would be much demand for their goods around here.
KeKe

Bossier City, LA

#7 Jun 12, 2010
I would love to have a whole Foods or Trader Joes in Shreveport/Bossier! What do I need to do, where do I need to sign? it really is all about demographics and the Good Ole' Boy Network that clearly exists and keeps this city/State deprived, uninformed and why the young LSU graduates don't stay here. But if by any chance we could get a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, I would be the first in line to support the cause!
opaleeze wrote:
Why, oh why don't we have any quality grocery stores with organic produce and meats?
My neighbor was at a conference and met a marketing exec for Whole Foods (based in Austin) who told her (because she asked) that Shreveport was on the long list to get a store, but that it wasn't considered a very health-conscious city. I guess they assume there wouldn't be the interest here and I'm sure they do enough market research to back that up.
Is there anyone else out there who would really love to have a Whole Foods or Fresh Market or Trader Joe's here in Shreveport? I have lived in smaller cities than this that had nice places to shop-why not here?
I wonder if we can start a letter-writing campaign to get one of these chains to come to Shreveport?
SomeSushi

United States

#8 Jun 22, 2010
I have written Whole Foods, Fresh Market and PF Changs begging them to open a store in S'Port/Bossier and even suggested a site, but they reply, "currently there are no plans...."
I am so disappointed because the selection of cheeses, fruit, veggies, herbal products are simply not carried by Sunshine Health Foods. We NEED more Shreveport....Are you listening Whole Foods? Also, Farmer's Market on a Saturday at 6am in line with 500 other people, jostling for the last remaining tomatoes (or strawberries from Texas) does not compare.....I'd like to shop on my own time!
gertee23

Hope, IN

#9 Aug 25, 2010
i just returned to shreveport from a visit to san francisco where i shopped at trader joes. i brought back 3 items in my carry on. i would die for a trader joes here in shreveport. i just did a search and it seems the nearest store is in Dallas so it looks like i will be making a monthly trip to shop because we do not have the selection of whole foods here. why why why can't shreveport keep up with the times?
djkidneyrn

Bossier City, LA

#10 Sep 19, 2010
I know exactly how everyone feels. I have begged Whole Foods and have received no reply. In comparison to other markets, our farmers market is a joke and cannot provided for all my grocery needs. I am a raw food vegan and it is nearly impossible to eat organic and it is impossible to eat out.
On behalf of these places...there is one problem and that is the population around is clueless to healthy eating. I am a nurse and see so much obesity and lack of knowledge from the area. When asked about my eating habits, I get looked at like I am an alien. Until the education changes around here, I am afraid we won't be ready for a whole foods.
But maybe one will come for the celebrities to have a place to shop.
Dit

Bossier City, LA

#11 Sep 26, 2010
My husband and I basically decided that starting next week, we will bring a cooler and make the 3 hour drive to Dallas so we can shop there. It makes me crazy that there is a fast food place everywhere I turn, but no store that encourages healthy eating. We are a relatively large city with space for a place like whole foods. I don't get it. Does California really need another one built? Can't we get just one? I know people would shop there if we got one. I wish there was some way to get there attention.
amy

Bossier City, LA

#12 Oct 24, 2010
Is anyone aware of a vegan potluck in the area? I shope at Sunshine and asked them but they were unaware of one. Please let me know if you've heard of one. If not, I'm thinking of figuring out a way to start one up. Would anyone be interested?
Helen

Ashland, LA

#13 Nov 22, 2010
I was recently shopping at the Lafayette Fresh Market (which I always do whenever I'm there!). The checkout girl said she'd heard we are getting one in Shreveport. Yeah! I'm so ready! That's a great store. I can't wait to have one here in Shreveport. I'm not sure where it's planned to go, but that's what I'm trying to determine online today.
opaleeze wrote:
Carrie

Shreveport, LA

#14 Jan 12, 2011
In Bossier City the bell curve for family median income begins to rise at $50K and drops at $100K ( http://www.city-data.com/income/income-Bossie... . So how is that low income? That is probably higher than national average (personal opinion) so let's find a way to allow ourselves HEALTY OPTIONS for ourselves in Bossier City if Shreveport is too poor. If everyone here were educated on food sources, chemical additives and processed foods (as well as refined sugar) maybe they would opt for items that are a little more expensive.
Demigod

Shreveport, LA

#15 Feb 9, 2011
Shreveport would be the last place on earth to put a Whole Foods store based on population decline (2010 Census)and median "income" of 33.6K (year 2009) and the highest property taxes in Louisiana.
Megan

Shreveport, LA

#16 Mar 5, 2011
I think we are getting a fresh market soon
Pixiefruits

United States

#17 Mar 6, 2011
Now, early spring, is the time to begin a relationship with farmers/gardeners who would be happy to produce wholesome food for customers who would visit their farms on a regular basis. You can visit websites such as www.localharvest.org or pickyourown.org and find growers close to your home. My gardens are located only about an hour from Shreveport and I love visitors who appreciate wholesome fruits and veggies.
MAMABIRD

Shreveport, LA

#18 Mar 28, 2011
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE WHOLE FOODS AND WOULD SPEND MY LIFE SAVINGS IN THERE IF ONE CAME TO SHREVEPORT. THE REASON THIS DUMPY TOWN DOESN'T HAVE HEALTHY NUMBERS IS BECAUSE NO ONE HAS HEALTHY PLACES TO SHOP. THE ONLY SMALL HEALTH FOOD STORES ARE SO OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE THE AVERAGE GUY CAN'T AFFORD TO SHOP THERE. THE FARMERS MARKET HERE IS A JOKE. THE MILITARY BASE POPULATION WOULD CERTAINLY USE IT. ANOTHER THING WE NEED HERE IS VARIETY OF FOOD SHOPS, HOW ABOUT A PANERA BREAD SHOP OR A PLACE CALLED SWEET TOMATOES. THATS AN AWESOME RESTAURANT. ALL THEY DO HERE IN SHREVEPORT AND BOSSIER IS THROW UP ANOTHER CRAPPY FAST FOOD JOINT LIKE MCDONALDS OR TACO BELL. NO WONDER THIS TOWN IS UNHEALTHY.
jkrose

Shreveport, LA

#19 Apr 1, 2011
My vote is YES for Whole Foods. I would'nt shop anywhere else. We could really use another option other than Wal-Mart or Target.
quicksilver

Mount Morris, MI

#20 Apr 4, 2011
I just got back from a visit to Austin and loaded up. I hit Whole Foods and Central Market and even HEB, which has amazing organic selections. It's a long drive to get decent food, though. Luckily I didn't make the trip just for groceries...lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shreveport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roy "Bubba" James candidate for Sheriff of Rapi... 16 hr Sad in Rapides 39
Downtown insanity 20 hr Skillet 5
News 'RADD-ical' plan would transform downtown Alexa... Sun Skillet 14
Debate: Gay Marriage - Shreveport, LA (Aug '10) Jul 26 &@& 297
News A cougar comeback in northwestern Louisiana? (Oct '08) Jul 24 cat killer 199
Mack Price Jul 23 gosh 4
who do you want to be the next rapides parish s... (Mar '11) Jul 22 JUST SAYING 19,925
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shreveport Mortgages