Virginia ABC, remodelings, Short Pump Crossing - wtvr

Full story: WTVR 30
How can the VABC afford to renovate some of its stores when most state agencies are cutting back? That's the question CBS 6 posed to the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control Thursday after observing work crews remodeling a store at Short Pump Crossing. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

#1 Feb 18, 2010
See how the reCROOKlicans just spend money on frivolus things while public education funding and retention of teachers bite the dust.
Where are the "reTHUGs" priorities, guns an booze it seems.
What the hey, the voters put them in office, too drunk to know any better. What flavor of NEW kool-aid is the governor serving.
not a demorat

Waynesboro, VA

#2 Feb 18, 2010
thats part of the jobs bill money that your idiot president wasted billions of dollars for. more minority shovel ready jobs! be proud
maybe you should lay off the odumbo-aid
be real

Richmond, VA

#3 Feb 18, 2010
Hey;

You have to spend money to make money, I bet every dollar spent to update the ABC store brings back two in return.
Not Overly Concerned

Richmond, VA

#4 Feb 19, 2010
Store 101 on W Broad near CBS 6 was also recently renovated during the last months of Tim Kaine's administration. Not much changed except to give a place where employees could set down. They should use some of the money they spent to clean up the parking lot.
dave

Glen Allen, VA

#5 Feb 19, 2010
man thanks alot.I got tired of looking at these dumps long ago.Yes my kids have no education but between the free samples and the remodel of abc stores they will one day be something special.So now I can sip free drinks in a clean store,get drunk and drive to one of our very important rest areas and pass out.thanks virginia for being sooooo dumb.Isnt teabagger,teabagging the most gay sounding thing ever?not that theres anything wrong with that.
Vicky K

Urbanna, VA

#6 Feb 19, 2010
I think they should turn these stores over to the private sector. Sell them.
Joe C

Chester, VA

#7 Feb 19, 2010
CBS if you didnt notice they also renovated the store right down from your studio on Broad St not more than a 1/4 of a mile from you. Now is not the time to do this , monies are needed elsewhere and as one comment stated people will go to a rundown basement to buy so I think these renovations come at a very bad time.
Joe C

Chester, VA

#8 Feb 19, 2010
Bereal your prob right for everydollar spent will bring bback 2 thats because they will raise prices $3.00.Some alocholic family memebr should sue the state when thier rum soaked relitive dies from drinking the state has no business being in business.
Shut up

Mechanicsville, VA

#9 Feb 19, 2010
Who cares if they renovate it, why are you people so concerned all you have to do is not go there. And if that's the case then why do they keep building all these malls. I wish everyone just shut up, alot of people have something to say since Obama's got in the office, a lot of things should have been done long before he got into office (education, etc.) but it wasn't and no one made a big deal about. And another thing, if everyone is so concerned all the unnecessary monies you spend how about you all get together and start a fund for the things you say the money could be spent for. always talking but you are never doing anything to help either.

Since: Feb 10

Midlothian, VA

#10 Feb 19, 2010
Vicky K wrote:
I think they should turn these stores over to the private sector. Sell them.
Care to explain where the $111 million the state will lose is going to come from if they are turned over to the private sector?

“Common sense aint that common.”

Since: Jan 10

Richmond, VA

#11 Feb 19, 2010
be real wrote:
Hey;
You have to spend money to make money, I bet every dollar spent to update the ABC store brings back two in return.
This is true in most cases, and I don't know about anyone else, but I don't go into an ABC store to admire the interior decorating. I go in to grab my Cap'n and get out.

Since: Feb 10

Midlothian, VA

#12 Feb 19, 2010
WaxPoetic wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true in most cases, and I don't know about anyone else, but I don't go into an ABC store to admire the interior decorating. I go in to grab my Cap'n and get out.
The store in question was being expanded for better customer service and a larger selection of merchandise.

Esthetically pleasing improvement was not a factor.

“Common sense aint that common.”

Since: Jan 10

Richmond, VA

#13 Feb 19, 2010
va_tazdad wrote:
<quoted text>
The store in question was being expanded for better customer service and a larger selection of merchandise.
Esthetically pleasing improvement was not a factor.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification
damion

Richmond, VA

#14 Feb 19, 2010
if they sell it they will come. they are using the money off what they make selling liquor. who cares? they should make them private though because they are making entirely too much money! taxpayers dont pay for this, alcoholics do. lol! leave them people alone.

Since: Feb 10

Midlothian, VA

#15 Feb 19, 2010
damion wrote:
if they sell it they will come. they are using the money off what they make selling liquor. who cares? they should make them private though because they are making entirely too much money! taxpayers dont pay for this, alcoholics do. lol! leave them people alone.
Do you have a clue where the profits go?

Unlike the Lottery, the ABC employees don't get raises or bonuses. The profits pay for mental health and additional police officers all across the state. Plus returning money to the local governments and at least $50 million to the general fund.

Going private will reduce the $$$ the state has to spend on all these programs.

And I don't want to see Virginia start looking like Maryland and DC with far too many liquor stores and too many kids buying illegally from them.
Oh Snap

Chesterfield, VA

#16 Feb 19, 2010
va_tazdad wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a clue where the profits go?
Unlike the Lottery, the ABC employees don't get raises or bonuses. The profits pay for mental health and additional police officers all across the state. Plus returning money to the local governments and at least $50 million to the general fund.
Going private will reduce the $$$ the state has to spend on all these programs.
And I don't want to see Virginia start looking like Maryland and DC with far too many liquor stores and too many kids buying illegally from them.
Just go up 301 over the bridge into La Plata, Maryland and you'll see what privitization of liquor stores will do. About 3 every block.
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

#17 Feb 19, 2010
not a demorat wrote:
thats part of the jobs bill money that your idiot president wasted billions of dollars for. more minority shovel ready jobs! be proud
maybe you should lay off the odumbo-aid
You have a memory lapse nad, the stimulus money was rejected by the reCROOKlicans. The far west enders wanted a liquor store that reflected their opulence. Bump the tax payers, it was for the elitist crowd.
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

#18 Feb 19, 2010
be real wrote:
Hey;
You have to spend money to make money, I bet every dollar spent to update the ABC store brings back two in return.
Prove it! Pure conjecture.
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

#19 Feb 19, 2010
Not Overly Concerned wrote:
Store 101 on W Broad near CBS 6 was also recently renovated during the last months of Tim Kaine's administration. Not much changed except to give a place where employees could set down. They should use some of the money they spent to clean up the parking lot.
Or fund some teachers salary.
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

#20 Feb 19, 2010
dave wrote:
man thanks alot.I got tired of looking at these dumps long ago.Yes my kids have no education but between the free samples and the remodel of abc stores they will one day be something special.So now I can sip free drinks in a clean store,get drunk and drive to one of our very important rest areas and pass out.thanks virginia for being sooooo dumb.Isnt teabagger,teabagging the most gay sounding thing ever?not that theres anything wrong with that.
Do it right, put watch out for the troopers, they are mad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Short Pump Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 4 hr mjjcpa 12,419
Review: Buckeye Partners LLP Thu HAMNAS 1
Ex-Virginia Gov. McDonnell, Wife Charged With C... (Jan '14) Wed Swedenforever 20
Jesus Christ, the Son of God Nov 18 Buddy Mitchell 14
murder Nov 18 kP 1
have you been to coleman florida before? Nov 18 FourFootTallDaddy 1
Girls want to send dirty pics (Apr '14) Nov 17 JamesBoylan 5
Short Pump Dating
Find my Match

Short Pump People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Short Pump News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Short Pump

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:52 pm PST

Bleacher Report 6:52PM
Terrell Suggs Needs Half a Sack to Reach 100 for Career
Bleacher Report 8:01 PM
Experts Weigh In on Washington's Game vs. 49ers
Bleacher Report 1:27 AM
What Are Experts Saying About SF vs. 49ers?
Bleacher Report 3:21 AM
Sizing Up Final Six Weeks of NFC East Race
NFL 6:42 AM
Lardarius Webb: Jimmy Graham is 'like LeBron James'