Police Hope to Prevent Gun Shop Burgl...

Police Hope to Prevent Gun Shop Burglaries With New Ordinance

There are 11 comments on the Patch.com story from Jan 24, 2012, titled Police Hope to Prevent Gun Shop Burglaries With New Ordinance. In it, Patch.com reports that:

New Lenox police hope stricter security measures will prevent future gun shop burglaries after 15 firearms were stolen from Downrange Sports in December.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

Blue Blood

Mokena, IL

#1 Jan 24, 2012
Hey I am pro-police, but we really need an "ordinance" to say that one needs a safe guns store???
secret ID

New Lenox, IL

#2 Jan 25, 2012
Blue Blood wrote:
Hey I am pro-police, but we really need an "ordinance" to say that one needs a safe guns store???
it's pretty rediculous. I commented on another similar post, I can't imagine them putting everything into safes. The doors should be upgraded maybe, or gated, but c'mon! The last thing we need is another ordinance.
secret ID

New Lenox, IL

#4 Jan 25, 2012
_whocares_ wrote:
Even huge $5,000 safes only hold 40 - 60 guns. What kind of money do they expect this store to invest? I don't think it's fair for the store to have to move all their inventory every night. Sounds to me like New Lenox is just trying to push the gun store out. I agree, bars on the windows or something but let's not get carried away.
that's what I mentioned in the other post. Someone was ranting about the owner 'complaining' that it would take all of his savings to buy more safes/vaults etc.. I think a door, possibly, but they have to be reasonable! If they want to start a rule about gun stores only being allowed to exist in a fireproof valdal-proof unit, then fine, but they can't start making bs ordinances that will basically put these guys out of business.
NL person

Chicago, IL

#5 Jan 25, 2012
I think NLPD is on the right track. Hand guns at a gun shop should be put in a safe at closing. And amo behind lexon doors.
secret ID

New Lenox, IL

#6 Jan 25, 2012
NL person wrote:
I think NLPD is on the right track. Hand guns at a gun shop should be put in a safe at closing. And amo behind lexon doors.
lexan is a polycarbonate that I can cut through with a drywall saw, hack saw dremel or melt with a hand held curling iron. I'm all for being safe, and preventative measures, but some things don't make sense.
secret iud

New Lenox, IL

#7 Jan 25, 2012
Just take a look at Megasports and compare it to Downrange sports. No contest. I think you could go through the wall at Downrange. It might help if the police were there all the time like they say they can be. I mean, that's why I can't carry concealed right? The cops are there all the time. Anytime you need one he is RIGHT there. Unreal.
secret ID

New Lenox, IL

#8 Jan 25, 2012
secret iud wrote:
Just take a look at Megasports and compare it to Downrange sports. No contest. I think you could go through the wall at Downrange. It might help if the police were there all the time like they say they can be. I mean, that's why I can't carry concealed right? The cops are there all the time. Anytime you need one he is RIGHT there. Unreal.
nice play on the name! Made me smile :-)
I hear what you are saying. I'm not sure if you are disagreeing with me or just trying to argue with anyone. Downrange sports is an older building? I still don't think they should he forced to put a bunch of money into it. Maybe secure the doors better. Either way, we should all be able to carry, I don't know where that comes in. I agree with you! What's that saying... I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6?? As long as you are responsible, you should carry anyhow. IMO!!:-)
Secret

United States

#9 Jan 26, 2012
Ever been to Downrange? It's not very sturdy. I still buy from them.
Tom

Mokena, IL

#10 Jan 26, 2012
Here's an idea patrol instead of parking for 5 hours running radar And parking the rest of time at eating establishments.
secret ID

New Lenox, IL

#13 Jan 26, 2012
Secret wrote:
Ever been to Downrange? It's not very sturdy. I still buy from them.
was there some years ago, I actually need to stop in soon. I can't even remember what it looks like inside :-)
secret ID

New Lenox, IL

#14 Jan 26, 2012
_whocares_ wrote:
<quoted text>If they do pass the ordinance, which I'm sure they will, they should add some kind of provision to grandfather any existing gun shops into the rules established when said business started operating in the village. Again, I agree the store needs to be secure, however they are going about things the wrong way.
agree! I am empathetic with small business owners in these situations. I can imagine that this owner is worried about any profits he may have saved. Not all business owners are 'rich'.. Definitely should be some sort of grandfather-provision though~ and also radar/monitoring in front of the store!...Efficiency NLPD?!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shorewood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stateville gets new lease on life as Pontiac pr... (May '08) 5 min Questioning 52
2016, the current electorate realized no develo... 1 hr Free cars 1
Investors never invest their own money (Apr '11) 9 hr VA HOPE 10,650
Lockport vs New Lenox Mon Free cars 7
Lockport Freshman campus Mon 911first 4
Will County Judges Dismiss Child Abuse Victims Mon sad 3
TRUMP in number one spot... (Jul '15) Aug 20 Some guy 59

Shorewood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shorewood Mortgages