Popular thoughts on the Chamber of Commerce could be wrong

Posted in the Shorewood Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

GDS

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#1 Jan 10, 2013
.. in theory we might be all wrong. Explanation could be much simpler than some realize and it might be because they tried to do good. Or not.

My discussion here:

http://hellolockport.blogspot.com/2013/01/cha...
Lockport Opinion

Lockport, IL

#2 Jan 10, 2013
Here's the part that you might be missing. It would take well over 10 years for the Chamber to pay back the debt. If in fact it is over $100,000 and that would only be possible if they weren't charging interest, not likely, there is a bank involved.

The bigger question is what type of BS story did the business proposal include that convinced people at a bank to give a non-secured loan to an entity with no history in this arena?

The Chamber barely makes enough money each year in revenues and dues to pay the bills and although I agree that this was a great idea, the scope was too large and the experience level was too low to pull off something this big. Yes, maybe a one day event would have been better.

Yes, the Chamber is not a taxing authority so they do not owe the taxpayers an explanation, but they are an organization with members who pay dues and they do owe the members a detailed explanation.

I liked the location and thought the concept was good, the real problem was a rainy weekend and making commitments with cash that they knew could blow up if we had bad weather or ticket sales were down.

Survivor, Eddie Money and a member of the Doors that no one really remembers are not the kind of headliners to make people rush out and buy tickets. Hell, Eddie Money can't even sing his own song on a stinking Geico commercial. Look it up, it's horrible.

How about a country night, a pop night and a classic rock night? Not everyone wants to go see a bunch of old farts try to sing their old songs.

Failure is still mismanagement when you were in over your heads to begin with.

I'm not sure who the D&B are in the consulting group, but I do know that Time "B"aldermann is the mayor of New Lenox and he was hired by the Chamber to help with Log Jam and Canal Days. I'm guessing he was paid in full upfront for all of his efforts. How much did he make off of this?
abc

United States

#3 Jan 10, 2013
At the last council meeting a gentleman from the Chamber spoke. He essentially said that the Chamber doesn't aim to profit, only for exposure for Lockport. He also said that the rain and their insurance policy on the rain killed them. I believe him. Couple that with (my assumption) management that wasn't the best and this is where we are now.

As to your comments on your blog about the chamber spending the money to fix code violations downtown - are u suggesting Chamber money be used to rehab private property? Even if that was an option (which I doubt it is), that seems like a bad idea.

GDS

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#4 Jan 10, 2013
Legally and logistically you are correct about fixing the code violations. My bigger point, if taxpayers were to be eventually held for this money and forced to pony up I would rather see money used for a grant program for rehabing property downtown than used for concerts. I definitely skated and didn't detail that idea thoroughly on the blog as I was just plain tired of writing. My fault. Thanks for holding my feet to the fire.

GDS

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#5 Jan 10, 2013
Lockport Opinion wrote:
Here's the part that you might be missing. It would take well over 10 years for the Chamber to pay back the debt. If in fact it is over $100,000 and that would only be possible if they weren't charging interest, not likely, there is a bank involved.
The bigger question is what type of BS story did the business proposal include that convinced people at a bank to give a non-secured loan to an entity with no history in this arena?
The Chamber barely makes enough money each year in revenues and dues to pay the bills and although I agree that this was a great idea, the scope was too large and the experience level was too low to pull off something this big. Yes, maybe a one day event would have been better.
Yes, the Chamber is not a taxing authority so they do not owe the taxpayers an explanation, but they are an organization with members who pay dues and they do owe the members a detailed explanation.
I liked the location and thought the concept was good, the real problem was a rainy weekend and making commitments with cash that they knew could blow up if we had bad weather or ticket sales were down.
Survivor, Eddie Money and a member of the Doors that no one really remembers are not the kind of headliners to make people rush out and buy tickets. Hell, Eddie Money can't even sing his own song on a stinking Geico commercial. Look it up, it's horrible.
How about a country night, a pop night and a classic rock night? Not everyone wants to go see a bunch of old farts try to sing their old songs.
Failure is still mismanagement when you were in over your heads to begin with.
I'm not sure who the D&B are in the consulting group, but I do know that Time "B"aldermann is the mayor of New Lenox and he was hired by the Chamber to help with Log Jam and Canal Days. I'm guessing he was paid in full upfront for all of his efforts. How much did he make off of this?
Essentially we are in agreement across the board except I still take issue with the cries of 'Off with their heads'. It wasn't 'gross' mismanagement as many here elude but just plain naive blundering in an area that they were over their heads with and it came back to bite them. I don't think anything they did was 'illegal'. If we want to use the term mismanagement so be it but I don't think it was purposeful.

I would like to know more about the site location. That is what do the wider audience think of the site vrs a festival at Dellwood for example.
Lockport Opinion

Lockport, IL

#6 Jan 10, 2013
GDS wrote:
<quoted text>
Essentially we are in agreement across the board except I still take issue with the cries of 'Off with their heads'. It wasn't 'gross' mismanagement as many here elude but just plain naive blundering in an area that they were over their heads with and it came back to bite them. I don't think anything they did was 'illegal'. If we want to use the term mismanagement so be it but I don't think it was purposeful.
I would like to know more about the site location. That is what do the wider audience think of the site vrs a festival at Dellwood for example.
Dellwood would never accommodate the parking that a concert would need. Also, I'm pretty sure there is a rule at the park district that no alcohol can be served on park property. That would make Dellwood a no go.

GDS

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#7 Jan 10, 2013
Lockport Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>Dellwood would never accommodate the parking that a concert would need. Also, I'm pretty sure there is a rule at the park district that no alcohol can be served on park property. That would make Dellwood a no go.
Parking kills the deal for sure. I've seen municipalities waive alcohol laws for events. Not sure Lockport would even allow thinking about thinking about that legal.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#8 Jan 11, 2013
GDS wrote:
<quoted text>
Parking kills the deal for sure. I've seen municipalities waive alcohol laws for events. Not sure Lockport would even allow thinking about thinking about that legal.
Agreed parking would be a deal killer to start. Far as thinking about the alcohol issue, well to use your own words briefly, the city is being run by those who are blind and blundering thru the process daily. They would not know how to think outside the box to do something different. Hats off to the chamber for thinking outside the box.

Rest assured if Pete and others had not been involved with the chamber in any way, the HEAD COWARD would never have brought this up. Again just another example of spin and deflection.

The chamber spoke at the meeting, and we all must take them for their word on it, just we like evidently must take our elected officials word on they are doing the right thing.

If someoone doesn't believe them, of course like said on here many times FOIA the chamber.
Hardliner

Homer Glen, IL

#9 Jan 11, 2013
Lockport Opinion wrote:
Here's the part that you might be missing. It would take well over 10 years for the Chamber to pay back the debt. If in fact it is over $100,000 and that would only be possible if they weren't charging interest, not likely, there is a bank involved.
The bigger question is what type of BS story did the business proposal include that convinced people at a bank to give a non-secured loan to an entity with no history in this arena?
The Chamber barely makes enough money each year in revenues and dues to pay the bills and although I agree that this was a great idea, the scope was too large and the experience level was too low to pull off something this big. Yes, maybe a one day event would have been better.
Yes, the Chamber is not a taxing authority so they do not owe the taxpayers an explanation, but they are an organization with members who pay dues and they do owe the members a detailed explanation.
I liked the location and thought the concept was good, the real problem was a rainy weekend and making commitments with cash that they knew could blow up if we had bad weather or ticket sales were down.
Survivor, Eddie Money and a member of the Doors that no one really remembers are not the kind of headliners to make people rush out and buy tickets. Hell, Eddie Money can't even sing his own song on a stinking Geico commercial. Look it up, it's horrible.
How about a country night, a pop night and a classic rock night? Not everyone wants to go see a bunch of old farts try to sing their old songs.
Failure is still mismanagement when you were in over your heads to begin with.
I'm not sure who the D&B are in the consulting group, but I do know that Time "B"aldermann is the mayor of New Lenox and he was hired by the Chamber to help with Log Jam and Canal Days. I'm guessing he was paid in full upfront for all of his efforts. How much did he make off of this?
When organizing an event like this it is important to understand what makes up your target audience. For this area they would have been better off having a gun, moonshine & doomsday prepper expo. The local hillbillies and rubes would have flocked from every hollow far and wide. They would be rolling in clover right now.
Lockport local

Lockport, IL

#10 Jan 11, 2013
Hardliner wrote:
<quoted text>
When organizing an event like this it is important to understand what makes up your target audience. For this area they would have been better off having a gun, moonshine & doomsday prepper expo. The local hillbillies and rubes would have flocked from every hollow far and wide. They would be rolling in clover right now.
Isn't is "holler" far and wide?
Hardliner

Homer Glen, IL

#12 Jan 11, 2013
Lockport local wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't is "holler" far and wide?
Actually no. Hollow is a noun that can mean a "valley" but I am sure there is a lot of hollering going on in the hollows around here especially when it comes to the chamber of commerce and our city council!
Hardliner

Homer Glen, IL

#13 Jan 11, 2013
I seem to remember in the months leading up to Logjam that they were advertising the wrong dates. Weren't they advertising Thursday, Friday & Saturday and then amended that to Friday, Saturday & Sunday shortly before the event? If that was the case I am sure that didn't help attendance any more than the Saturday storm did.
lockporter

Chicago, IL

#14 Jan 11, 2013
Lockport Opinion wrote:
Survivor, Eddie Money and a member of the Doors that no one really remembers are not the kind of headliners to make people rush out and buy tickets.
I was there Thursday night to hear Eddie Money. We spoke to fans of Eddie's from both Wis. and Ind. who were there to see him, but I can agree there were not large crowds. Those who were there had a great time. I see LogJam as typical for Lockport; everyone complains there's nothing to do and then an event is planned, and no one comes out.
lockporter

Chicago, IL

#15 Jan 11, 2013
Hardliner wrote:
I seem to remember in the months leading up to Logjam that they were advertising the wrong dates. Weren't they advertising Thursday, Friday & Saturday and then amended that to Friday, Saturday & Sunday shortly before the event? If that was the case I am sure that didn't help attendance any more than the Saturday storm did.
Uh, the event was on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. As far as marketing or advertising, I don't know if it was wrong, but I would say it was low-key or didn't exist. Lots of folks at my church and in community groups who are interested in the town's success didn't know about it until the week of the event. There was little cross marketing in other towns. The fans from out of state who were there to see Eddie saw it on HIS web site, where they check for his tour dates. I for one am glad it was tried, but just wish more locals would have supported it.

As far as complaints about the chamber, it's always easy to anonymously complain than hold your head high and be involved. I would support LogJam II. I never thought they were going to turn a profit the first year and I thought the intent was to create an event that could be marketed annually and build support/profit. At least someone had an idea and the guts to try (knowing full well the complainers would come out in full force should anything not succeed 100%).

GDS

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#16 Jan 11, 2013
I'm defending the Chamber. I have said often that of all the criticism, the Chamber at least thought outside the box and did something. My fear is they won't get back on the horse and this will set a precedent of 'not trying' again in this city. I would totally support LogJam II
Lockport Opinion

Lockport, IL

#17 Jan 11, 2013
lockporter wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, the event was on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. As far as marketing or advertising, I don't know if it was wrong, but I would say it was low-key or didn't exist. Lots of folks at my church and in community groups who are interested in the town's success didn't know about it until the week of the event. There was little cross marketing in other towns. The fans from out of state who were there to see Eddie saw it on HIS web site, where they check for his tour dates. I for one am glad it was tried, but just wish more locals would have supported it.
As far as complaints about the chamber, it's always easy to anonymously complain than hold your head high and be involved. I would support LogJam II. I never thought they were going to turn a profit the first year and I thought the intent was to create an event that could be marketed annually and build support/profit. At least someone had an idea and the guts to try (knowing full well the complainers would come out in full force should anything not succeed 100%).
Here's the thing, you don't go into DEBT if you don't think something is going to be successful. There should have been reserves to cover this and if they couldn't raise them on their own, they shouldn't have taken on something of this magnitude. Baby steps.

Also, you have no clue what our participation in the Chamber or any other city events are. The Chamber has a pretty large membership and many of us participate, volunteer and attend their events.

The fact that they tried to put on an event of this scale with what appears to be NONE of their own money already in the bank to put into it, is a disgrace and has ultimately led to the demise of the Chamber as we knew it. To borrow even the low end of $60,000 for this was insane. The Chamber just doesn't raise those types of dollars on an annual basis.

Volunteers will have to make sure the Chamber survives, but it will be next to impossible to pull off Canal Days or any other large events with just volunteers. Most of the members have their own businesses to run and can't devote that type of time and now that the Chamber can no longer afford their staff, it will be next to impossible to find enough volunteers to put this together.
Hardliner

Homer Glen, IL

#18 Jan 11, 2013
New Lenox has their summer concert series booked with top acts that sell out every show and it runs like a fine Swiss watch. Why doesn't our chamber reach out to them as a neighboring community for advice?
Lockport Opinion

Lockport, IL

#19 Jan 11, 2013
Hardliner wrote:
New Lenox has their summer concert series booked with top acts that sell out every show and it runs like a fine Swiss watch. Why doesn't our chamber reach out to them as a neighboring community for advice?
Guess who ran Log Jam and Canal Days the last two years - the mayor of New Lenox. Yes, he was paid a great fee for his services, yet other vendors have not been paid yet.

I'm guessing he was saving the best acts for his own town.
Hardliner

Homer Glen, IL

#20 Jan 12, 2013
Lockport Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>Guess who ran Log Jam and Canal Days the last two years - the mayor of New Lenox. Yes, he was paid a great fee for his services, yet other vendors have not been paid yet.
I'm guessing he was saving the best acts for his own town.
I did not know that. There was a significant gap in the talent that is for sure. Maybe we should focus more on what has drawn people to Lockport in the past, motorcycle enthusiasts. Anytime the weather gets warm look at the booming business Uncle Ritchie’s does when people pull their bikes out and hit the open road. Check out the TV show “Full Throttle Saloon” and the millions of dollars generated every year in Sturgis when they have their rally. That piece of land would be perfect for something like that and motorcycle people travel and spend money that is for sure. Why try to be more of the same when we could stand out and do something different?
Lockport

Lockport, IL

#21 Jan 12, 2013
Hardliner, that's a pretty good idea.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shorewood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Investors never invest their own money (Apr '11) 13 min Stay the course 8,350
Golden Glaze Donuts 2 hr Hash Browns 7
Bo-No-More 13 hr Lago Vista 32
Lockport Girls Bowling Wins State Title! Fri hatethistown 18
Still Winning Thu Lockport local 5
Barbershop on Rt. 59 Thu Crawfish 1
Retail Coach says Chamber nonexistant. Wed Lockport local 15
Shorewood Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Shorewood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:18 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:18AM
Best Options to Replace Briggs This Offseason
Bleacher Report 8:12 AM
Buzz: Colts Eyeing Trades for Veteran WRs Including Marshall
Bleacher Report 1:14 PM
Could Bears Ever Get Fair Trade Value for Forte?
Bleacher Report 1:40 PM
Wayne Undergoes Surgery on Triceps
NFL 2:44 PM
Reggie Wayne had surgery, mulling Colts future