Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Good Morning all!
I am looking for opinions on the Lakewood fall community in Romeoville. I am looking at houses in this area and and asking for any feedback on the area. The houses that I am looking at are in the area of William/Scott Lane area. Any feedback, whether potitive or negative, would be greatly apperciated. This is my first home. I do not have children, and am aware of the horrible traffic on weber....
Thanks again!
AroundtheVille

Bolingbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Laura wrote:
Good Morning all!
I am looking for opinions on the Lakewood fall community in Romeoville. I am looking at houses in this area and and asking for any feedback on the area. The houses that I am looking at are in the area of William/Scott Lane area. Any feedback, whether potitive or negative, would be greatly apperciated. This is my first home. I do not have children, and am aware of the horrible traffic on weber....
Thanks again!
Well your going to find traffic in most any area around here. Rt. 59 is horrible as well, but you'll find that in the Northwest burbs as well. Good news is that the interchange at Weber is scheduled to be rebuilt in the not too distant future and there is longer term work being done for a new interchange at Airport Rd/I-55. But that will be a few more years off.

It also depends on which of the Lakewoods you would be living in? There are something like seven or eight different phases.

Since: Mar 10

Romeoville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

lots of kids
Laura

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Thank you for the responses so far. I believe it is Phase 7. I am looking more at it from the aspect of safety, I am ok with lots of kids, but I want to make sure that the area is safe for me and my family. I know Romeoville sometimes has a bad rap and before I buy a house in this area, it's nice to get unbiased opinions :)

Since: Sep 09

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

if that is the one by jewel off of airport last summer a house was raided due to it being a drug house multi pounds seized, a few thousand dollars along with a few small hand guns....
Laura

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Oh wow. Is there two jewels in Romeoville on Weber? I thought one was on Taylor and Weber? Is there alot of incidents over there? Are you from Romeoville father of 3? If so, where would be a "safe" community to look at in the Romeoville area?
iwonder

Romeoville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Judged:

sorry Laura. There really isn't any. Lots of gangs in town. It really has gone down in the last 10 years or so. You'd be better off looking elsewhere. The school district is terrible, as well.
Laura

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

I believe that the Lakewood Falls subdivision that I am looking at attends Plainfield schools. Is Romeoville worse or better then Bolingbrook in your opinion? Is there alot of crime in this area specifically? I have only heard negatives about the traffic on Weber and that the "older" part of Romeoville is not the greatest. When I looked at houses, they appeared to be in decent shape, well kept, etc. It is kind of cold out so it is hard to determine the neighborhood when no one is out!
iwonder

Romeoville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Judged:

Bolingbrook and Romeoville schools are combined (one district for both towns), which is Valley view 365u. Most schools are not making state standards. The older section of Romeoville is mostly pre-fab homes buildt in the 1940's,'50's & '60's. Some are okay. Some are not. It always depends on how well the previous owners took care of it. Plainfield schools are a little better. If you are looking in the Lakewood Falls off of Taylor be aware that only half of the subdivision attends Plainfield. The front half goes to Valleyview. The realtor may not know this. You may want to check the boundaries yourself. I have lived in both Romeoville and Bolingbrook (both for over 10 years each). Bolingbrook is pretty bad, but unfortunately, Romeoville is catching up. Stay away from the Lakewood Falls on Airport Rd. My mother in law, and sister in law (two separate residences) can't wait to get out. Cute homes, not so cute as to what is inside those homes. Good luck to you and your family. Hope you find this helpful, not scary. I'm only stating facts. I know I would want to know this before moving in. It's a big investment.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Judged:

Laura wrote:
Oh wow. Is there two jewels in Romeoville on Weber? I thought one was on Taylor and Weber? Is there alot of incidents over there? Are you from Romeoville father of 3? If so, where would be a "safe" community to look at in the Romeoville area?
i ment taylor my bad. if romeoville was decent in the school aspect school and safe for my family with the gang and drug bs i wouldn't be looking to sell this summer to move to a better school district, even if that means a town house.
Laura

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Iwonder, when you say not so cute to what is inside those homes, are you saying that the neighbors are not so cute? Not literally, but you know what I mean. And I always thought Romeoville had a bad rap, just not in the last 10 years. Is there alot of gang/drug activity off of Airport road in those Lakewood Falls homes? Or do they mostly keep to themselves? Am I going to be to scared to walk my dogs over ther?
FO3 - Are you in the newer/older part of Romeoville?

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

older off of 135th by post offfice
iwonder

Romeoville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Judged:

Lots of crime, illegals, gangs. Romeoville police are there quite a bit. This is just on my mother-in-law's block. She and her husband are elderly and are afraid. My wife worries about them too. Every time my wife and I visit, the police seem to be there. The neighbors always stare at you as you drive by, and that's a little creepy. Can't wait to get them out of there. Stay away.
Phase 7

Plainfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Judged:

I recently purchased a home in Phase 7. Kids here go to Crest Hill schools. It is a safe subdivision, just lots of kids. It is nice because it backs up to the retirement village and you know there isn't any mischief there. Phase 7 has a lot of teachers and employees from local school districts. Stay away from anything near Rout 53. That is the area that gets the bad wrap.
Phase 7

Plainfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Judged:

By the way, if you look up the Crest Hill schools, they are doing wonderfully with state tests!
Laura

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Thanks Phase 7. The street that I am specifically looking at is over by the William / Kimberly/Scott area. Is that the same place where you are at? Do you notice any gang activity? That is my biggest concern, only because some nights I will be myself.
The houses all around seem to be very nice and well taken care of, but you never know!
GetThis

Romeoville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Judged:

Laura wrote:
I believe that the Lakewood Falls subdivision that I am looking at attends Plainfield schools. Is Romeoville worse or better then Bolingbrook in your opinion? Is there alot of crime in this area specifically? I have only heard negatives about the traffic on Weber and that the "older" part of Romeoville is not the greatest. When I looked at houses, they appeared to be in decent shape, well kept, etc. It is kind of cold out so it is hard to determine the neighborhood when no one is out!
Laura,Its unfortunate you have only gotten responses that have such a low opinion of the community.
Perhaps they have their own reasons for their dismal view and should look beyond the end of their noses.
I can tell you that as a long time resident (40yrs)this is a nice community. Does it have the same issues that every other community deals with at times? Yes it does.Are they worse? No they are not!
What I also can tell you is this is a community that is diverse and has some of the problems that can go with that.
We also have a huge number of folks who dedicate their time addressing those things in various ways,including village staff,volunteers etc. Getting kids involved ,be it thru sports,after school activities,school programs and too many more to address here. The occasional bad seed drifts in of course, is dealt with accordingly and they are gone.

I feel your community is as good,bad as you allow it to be,shame on those who simply complain and point the finger at others.
Hopefully you will find the home you love here,and get to know the positive side of Romeoville.
Thoughts

Plainfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Judged:

Laura wrote:
Thanks Phase 7. The street that I am specifically looking at is over by the William / Kimberly/Scott area. Is that the same place where you are at? Do you notice any gang activity? That is my biggest concern, only because some nights I will be myself.
The houses all around seem to be very nice and well taken care of, but you never know!
I'm in the Phase 7 area that is behind McDonalds off of Weber and Renwick.
If things look like they are taken care of, then that is a huge indicator of positive things.
Again, the sketchy areas are off of route 53.
melons

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Judged:

I moved to Romeoville from Chicago. I have lived here for over 12 years now. It seems so funny to hear people say there is high gang activity and such. There are problems here and there, but my gosh, compared to a real gang problem like the City of Chicago has, I do not think we have any problem here. My brother works for CPS (Chicago Public Schools). The school he is working in has, on average, 16 arrests per day. For children bringing weapons, drugs, and for fighting. I think when you look at where Romeoville is, then we are doing pretty good.
I think being alone in a home will only be as safe as you make it. That is in any area. Look into getting a good home security system. It is well worth it. Good luck in your new home purchase.
Laura

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

It's nice to see some postive responses about Romeoville. I was under the impression that the area that was bad was near 53 as most of you had stated. I just want to make sure that I am moving to a some what safe area. I would hope that if there was gang activity, just like the have in most of the suburbs, they would keep to themselves and I just don't want to be harassed when I walk down the street with my dogs, etc and that my house isn't going to get broken into (which can happen anywhere) or I can't have family /friends over because it's to violent and trashy! I am all about diversity, but safety is my number one concern :)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Shorewood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Investors never invest their own money (Apr '11) 12 min Seagar 6,548
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr mahz 49,359
Dairy Queen 5 hr The loser speaks ... 26
how long till 9 hr john smith 12
Division Street Bridge 12 hr Abe 3
KT Massage (Sep '11) 12 hr captain america 23
Thorntons on Essington Road and Theodore 16 hr Wish I was Stevie... 1

Search the Shorewood Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Shorewood Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000