On a positive note.........

Posted in the Shorewood Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TruthBETold

Homer Glen, IL

#1 Nov 7, 2012
This country has truly changed, and I believe there will be no going back. Hate lost yesterday. That is amazing in and of itself. And all the women who were elected last night! A total rebuke of Neanderthal attitudes.

Now the real work begins. Millions of us – the majority – must come together to insist that President Obama and the Democrats stand up and fight for the things we sent them there to do. Mr. President, do not listen to the pundits who today call for you to "compromise." No. You already tried that. It didn't work. You can compromise later if you need to, but please, no more beginning by compromising. And if the Republican House doesn't want to play ball, do a massive end run around them with one executive order after another – just like they have done and will do if given the chance again.

We have to have Obama's back. As he is blocked and attacked by the Right, we need to be there with him. We are the majority. Let's act like it.

And please Mr. President, make the banks and Wall Street pay. You're the boss, not them. Lead the fight to get money out of politics – the spending on this election is shameful and dangerous. Don't wait til 2014 to bring the troops home – bring 'em home now. Stop the drone strikes on civilians. End the senseless war on drugs. Act like a pit bull when it comes to climate change – ignore the nuts, and fix this now. Take the profit motive out of things that any civilized country would say, "this is for the common good." Make higher education affordable for everyone and don't send 22-year-olds out into the world already in massive debt. Order a moratorium on home foreclosures and evictions. Enact economic policy that will create good-paying jobs and spend the money that's needed to do that. Make your second term one for the history books.

Finally, thanks must be given to the Occupy movement who, a year ago, set the tone of this election year by getting everyone to talk about the 1% vs. 99%. It inspired Obama and his campaign to realize that there was a huge popular sentiment against what the wealthy have done to the country and there was something wrong if just 400 rich guys owned more than 160 million Americans combined (all those moochers and bums). This led to Romney's "47%" remarks and THAT was the beginning of the end of his campaign. Thank you Mother Jones for releasing that secret tape, and thank you to the minimum wage worker who placed a camera on the serving buffet next to the candle. This morning's headline in the Washington Post says it all: "At Romney headquarters, the defeat of the 1 percent." Thank you Sandra Fluke for enduring the insults hurled at you and then becoming an important grassroots leader against the war on women. Thank you Todd Akin for...well, for just being you. Thank you CEOs of Chrysler and GM for coming out forcefully against the Republican(!) candidate, saying he lived in "some parallel universe" when he lied about Jeep. Thank you Governor Christie for your new bromance with Obama. You know, you really didn't have to!

And you, Mother Nature, with all your horrific damage, death and destruction you caused last week, you became, ironically, the undoing of a Party that didn't believe in you or your climate changing powers.

Perhaps they'll believe now.

Once again, thanks to all of you who brought a nonvoter to the polls. In a last minute effort to get Obama an extra million votes he wasn't counting on,
Jack

Burnsville, MN

#2 Nov 7, 2012
Amen!
Super 77

Lemont, IL

#3 Nov 7, 2012
TruthBETold wrote:
Mr. President, do not listen to the pundits who today call for you to "compromise." No. You already tried that. It didn't work.
When did Obama ever compromise on anything? I'm not even trying to be a smarta**- it's a serious question.
BARRY GOLDWATER

Lockport, IL

#4 Nov 8, 2012
Policy is not the issue. It is competence in the White House to move a corrupt Congress. Sixteen years of incompetence will be difficult for the good old USA to ever come back from. Consider Canada or Australia.
Super 77

Lemont, IL

#5 Nov 8, 2012
Here are two questions for TruthBeTold:

1.) How is it that Biden who had been in the Senate for something like 30 years and Obama for 2, and at a time when they had complete control of both Houses of government, have been able to get away with blaming Bush and not themselves for the Great Recession?(in other words - it's all the Presidents fault)

2.) Now that they are in the White House how is it the sluggish recovery (if you can even call it that) is all the "do nothing congresses" fault?
(in other words - it's never the Presidents fault).
Jack

Chicago, IL

#6 Nov 8, 2012
Super 77 wrote:
Here are two questions for TruthBeTold:
1.) How is it that Biden who had been in the Senate for something like 30 years and Obama for 2, and at a time when they had complete control of both Houses of government, have been able to get away with blaming Bush and not themselves for the Great Recession?(in other words - it's all the Presidents fault)
2.) Now that they are in the White House how is it the sluggish recovery (if you can even call it that) is all the "do nothing congresses" fault?
(in other words - it's never the Presidents fault).
1) Jesus H Christ could have been elected in 2008 and the economy would be in no better shape today.

2) Yes, it is the "do nothing congesses" fault. If you look up obstruction, it is a picture of John Boner and Mitch McConnell.
Super 77

Lemont, IL

#7 Nov 8, 2012
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Jesus H Christ could have been elected in 2008 and the economy would be in no better shape today.
2) Yes, it is the "do nothing congesses" fault. If you look up obstruction, it is a picture of John Boner and Mitch McConnell.
So was Biden and Obama part of a "do nothing " congress as the crisis was building during 2007. At least be consistent in your blame.
Hardliner

Homer Glen, IL

#8 Nov 8, 2012
Full disclosure: I voted for Romney on Tuesday.

That being said it was the first time I can remember in many years that I walked away from the voting booth and felt totally indifferent. I think both candidates left a lot to be desired and Romney was the lesser of two evils. Living in Illinois and getting taxed to death at every turn my hope was that maybe Romney would lessen that blow a little more on the federal level. I couldn't care less about abortion, gay marriage or marijuana just the nuts and bolts of being fiscally responsible.

As for the Republican Party they have turned into a total joke. If there is one good thing to come out of this maybe they will realize it is time to take the religious wack jobs and extremists out of their mix. God has no place in politics any more that Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. It certainly does not do the party any good to have middle aged men spouting off medical advice about how a woman’s body has a way of shutting down its uterus during rape and if she does get pregnant its Gods will. Come on man what a F$CKING joke! How could you expect anybody with an ounce of brains to vote for that? The list goes on and on, hope they are happy with the results because it is totally on them.
Jack

Chicago, IL

#9 Nov 8, 2012
Super 77 wrote:
<quoted text>
So was Biden and Obama part of a "do nothing " congress as the crisis was building during 2007. At least be consistent in your blame.
Real simple. Clinton handed Bush an enormous surpluss. Bush decided to do huge tax cuts for the rich and unfund medicare. Furthermore, Bush got us into 2 unfunded wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (trillions of dollars).

None of the above things would have happened if Gore was president in 2000. No tax cuts for the rich, no messing with medicare, no wars.
Super 77

Lemont, IL

#10 Nov 8, 2012
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
Real simple. Clinton handed Bush an enormous surpluss. Bush decided to do huge tax cuts for the rich and unfund medicare. Furthermore, Bush got us into 2 unfunded wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (trillions of dollars).
None of the above things would have happened if Gore was president in 2000. No tax cuts for the rich, no messing with medicare, no wars.
Clinton had a surplus because he tacked to the center in his second term and signed the Republican's budget into law.

I agree - we should have never gone into Iraq.

Tax cuts for the rich? It's their money not the governments!
Super 77

Lemont, IL

#11 Nov 8, 2012
One other thing. Bush spent WAY too much money. But I hardly think that would appear extreme to the left seeing as they doubled spending under Obama.
BARRY GOLDWATER

Lockport, IL

#12 Nov 9, 2012
The American middle class thought they were doing well in the 1990's when they were actually living on credit they cleared every five years by refinancing their homes. Real income for the middle class has declined under Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2 and Obama. It is now a worldwide labor market and a America with open borders for cheap labor. Both parties are responsible and most Americans still believe there is some difference in these two parties. This is our problem.
Fat Homer Glen Housewife

Russia

#13 Nov 10, 2012
Jimmy W. rocked my coozie.
Locktucky resident

Lockport, IL

#14 Nov 10, 2012
BARRY GOLDWATER wrote:
The American middle class thought they were doing well in the 1990's when they were actually living on credit they cleared every five years by refinancing their homes. Real income for the middle class has declined under Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2 and Obama. It is now a worldwide labor market and a America with open borders for cheap labor. Both parties are responsible and most Americans still believe there is some difference in these two parties. This is our problem.
I have seen several of your posts and am thankful that someone on this site is informative in a mature fashion. Thank you!
Just a Thought

Romeoville, IL

#15 Nov 10, 2012
Super 77 wrote:
<quoted text>
When did Obama ever compromise on anything? I'm not even trying to be a smarta**- it's a serious question.
Let's see… how about when he extended the bush tax cuts for a year to get an extension for people's unemployment benefits and to keep the GOP from defaulting on our nation's debt?

Or when he agreed to cut entitlement programs as part of the so called grand bargain to reduce the federal deficit (which Boehner and GOP agreed to initially and then walked away)?

There are two big examples. Now please show me anytime the GOP House has been willing to compromise on tax rates or anything else.
Super 77

Lemont, IL

#16 Nov 10, 2012
Just a Thought wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see… how about when he extended the bush tax cuts for a year to get an extension for people's unemployment benefits and to keep the GOP from defaulting on our nation's debt?
Or when he agreed to cut entitlement programs as part of the so called grand bargain to reduce the federal deficit (which Boehner and GOP agreed to initially and then walked away)?
There are two big examples. Now please show me anytime the GOP House has been willing to compromise on tax rates or anything else.
Debt Ceiling - three times.
Hardliner

Homer Glen, IL

#17 Nov 10, 2012
Super 77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Debt Ceiling - three times.
Pick a swim lane.
Up yours

Downers Grove, IL

#18 Nov 11, 2012
Hardliner wrote:
<quoted text>
Pick a swim lane.
Oh great now you have sold out to Obama too.
smokey

Lockport, IL

#19 Nov 12, 2012
If you think Obama is our savior, God help us.

If I took my car to a repairman and he didn't repair the problem but made it worse, I wouldn't be happy. I can't believe you are so happy he was re elected.

Obama has demonstrated that he doesn't have a clue on how to solve our problems. In 2016 we will just have more debt, more problems, and higher taxes.
Smoke this

Homer Glen, IL

#20 Nov 13, 2012
smokey wrote:
If you think Obama is our savior, God help us.
If I took my car to a repairman and he didn't repair the problem but made it worse, I wouldn't be happy. I can't believe you are so happy he was re elected.
Obama has demonstrated that he doesn't have a clue on how to solve our problems. In 2016 we will just have more debt, more problems, and higher taxes.
He DOES have the capability and solutions to solve our problems.....unfortunately, the republicon controlled house stopped and fought him every step of the way.

SO, the ONLY thing that President Obama's previous term has demonstrated is that, per usual, the republicons have f'd everything up.

And DON'T FORGET, our country would never have even BEEN in this state if that previously "appointed" republicon oil-baron, doofus with the habitual "who-farted" look on his face wasn't allowed to run amok for eight years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shorewood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Investors never invest their own money (Apr '11) 17 hr stc 10,917
jewel in minooka (Sep '12) Sep 23 butthurt 8
another one bites the dust in Lockport Sep 22 Billy Corgan 10
Mailman who delivers to downtown businesses? (Oct '16) Sep 21 hey mr postman 4
News Will County hears plan for 2,200-acre business ... Sep 20 Robert Thomas 1
News Midlothian woman accused of hate crime at marga... Sep 19 Midlo sucks balls 1
News Do you find this sign offensive? Sep 17 Pope Ben Out To P... 23

Shorewood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shorewood Mortgages