Brookhaven Town mulls Tallgrass project

Brookhaven Town mulls Tallgrass project

There are 167 comments on the Newsday story from May 30, 2007, titled Brookhaven Town mulls Tallgrass project. In it, Newsday reports that:

Brookhaven Town officials are calling it the biggest land use decision that's come before them since Supervisor Brian Foley took office.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
NoToTallgrass1

Port Washington, NY

#1 May 30, 2007
SAY NO TO TALLGRASS
FormallyDownTheB lock

Ashburn, VA

#2 May 30, 2007
You residents better stand up for your rights, this developers att. lawrence feldman said "we are not going away" so either they win and you loose, or you win. Best to stand up for your rights and what you want before these developers start handing out envelopes to your elected town officials who all want their palms greased.
Bob

Yonkers, NY

#3 May 30, 2007
Like most things in Brookhaven, when money is spread around, well, you know what happens.
katie

Mount Sinai, NY

#4 May 30, 2007
thank god i'm graduating soon and getting the hell off this glorified sand dune they call long island!! yeah , more mcmansions with sewage plants!! more retirement homes and more TRAFFIC for roads that can't handle whats goin on now. so long suckers!!!!
Stop the insanity

Edison, NJ

#5 May 30, 2007
Shoream residents please stop this!! Stop developing any more of Long Island!!! This place is quickly turning into New Jersey and the developers have set their sights on Eastern LI....we absolutely cannot allow them to turn this into Nassau County. Build up in areas already developed. Leave the last bits of natural LI alone. Otherwise I'm following suit with Katie...
My opinion

Middle Island, NY

#6 May 31, 2007
Tallgrass will also affect those of us who live in Ridge, north of Whiskey Road. Randall road is too narrow to handle all the extra traffic. To widen it would mean taking away part of people's front yards....no more country feel.
eye on the island

AOL

#7 May 31, 2007
Time to run a quick check of the contributions made by Alex and company to the elected officials.
Hmmm... pay to play. This is same developer who got his 300+ condos approved in Blue Point at the UA Theatre site - you know - right on death row where Nicolls Rd meets Vets Highway meets Sunrise service road. If the citizens don't pull together and fill town hall then you can kiss it all goodbye!
NO MAS

Yorktown Heights, NY

#8 May 31, 2007
I REMEMBER YEARS AGO DRIVING FROM PORT WASHINGTON TO THE EASTERN END OF LONG ISLAND FOR THE BEACHES, STRAWBERRY FIELDS AND PUMPKIN PATCHES.SO,WHEN I GOT OLDER I MOVED TO THE EAST END-SHOREHAM.NOW, EVERYWHERE I DRIVE THERE'S ANOTHER SHOPPING CENTER REPLETE WITH A PIZZA PLACE AND A CVS.LEAVE WHAT IS LEFT ALONE!
Ben

Bronx, NY

#9 May 31, 2007
Just what we need another damn golf course.
EastEndResident

Port Washington, NY

#10 May 31, 2007
NO MAS wrote:
I REMEMBER YEARS AGO DRIVING FROM PORT WASHINGTON TO THE EASTERN END OF LONG ISLAND FOR THE BEACHES, STRAWBERRY FIELDS AND PUMPKIN PATCHES.SO,WHEN I GOT OLDER I MOVED TO THE EAST END-SHOREHAM.NOW, EVERYWHERE I DRIVE THERE'S ANOTHER SHOPPING CENTER REPLETE WITH A PIZZA PLACE AND A CVS.LEAVE WHAT IS LEFT ALONE!
i know how you feel....we must stop this madness
Common Sense

Pearl River, NY

#11 May 31, 2007
Seems Suffolk County will be Queens east in no time at all!!! JUST SAY NO TO THE POLITICIANS AND THE "DEVELOPERS" THAT HAVE ONLY THEIR INTERESTS AT HEART!
mike

United States

#12 May 31, 2007
There are too many golf courses already. We shouldn't cater to golfers anymore. Make the land more useful and make a race car track!!!
Bobby Moses

Philadelphia, PA

#13 May 31, 2007
"...a golf course, 175,000 square feet of retail space and a sewage treatment plant..."

Now that's what I call mixed use!
Tom

AOL

#14 Aug 30, 2007
We need this community in shoreham. Tall Grass community will be beautiful and we need a place to shop, walk and meet people. Sitting in your homes and not having a nice place to go ages you. Build the darn community.
Carol

Millbrook, NY

#15 Aug 30, 2007
I live in Shoreham and NO we DON'T WANT a TALL GRASS PDD! 1,128 people on a petition against this monster was just handed in with many more to come.The Shoreham community, 99% of the residents I have talked to are against this thing, yet the politicians in charge aren't listening to us, except for McCarrick. We have to pray that our strength in numbers will convince the politicians who are getting sizable contributions to their campaigns from those who will benefit $$$ greatly from this project, to stand by the residents and the neighboring communities, and do what is right and NOT allow this mega bucks development to be built in this beautiful part of the world!
This will have a shopping area twice as big as the one we have just 5 miles away, plus a 6 theater multi-plex, heaven help us all if this goes through. Write your politicans, write your local papers, tell them we say NO to this TALL GRASS PDD!
patti shoreham

AOL

#16 Sep 17, 2007
I live in shoreham in north hills on the golf course . I dont know where people get the numbers that 99% of the people in this area are againt the PDD . I am all for it and so are many of my neighbors .Last thing we need is more large homes in our area . i think this PDD is just what Shoreham needs. they are not talking about a strip shopping center , they are planning to put in a small village with shops and mixed housing. Most of the sod farm is surround by work force housing , but the people who moved into their big homes suddenly dont want people like the ones who built up this beautiful community. I say shame on them.
Linda Shoreham

Millbrook, NY

#17 Sep 22, 2007
They have sold you a bill of goods. Vision Long Island, has done their job in PR, and selling their vision, which is a facade!

There is NO village green, but stores upon stores, and traffic created that will bury us even more. PLUS, there are FIVE BEDROOM HOMES! And FOUR BEDROOM HOMES! This is not work force housing! And then what they prefer to be hidden, it is 200 FAMILY homes versus 283, not much difference, but wait, they pay 40% LESS in SCHOOL TAXES! What a deal for the rest of us, we can educate their children, from their 5 bedroom house, and pick up the taxes they don't pay? BTW the same LARGE house the previous writer despises, yet in North Hills where she lives most homes are 4 bedroom there.

NO THANK YOU for me and the rest of our community picking up the tax tab for the school district on their children. NO to the PDD, and the 200 family homes, of 5,4 and 3 bedroom homes, the 183 senior residences. YES, 2,100+ people have said NO on the petition, and when you look at who said no as they were asked, it was a 20:1 ratio at Best, and some no's were only because they weren't familiar with the issue. YES the SUPER MAJORITY of SHOREHAM do not want a PDD! The Pine Barrens has said they do NOT meet Open Space requirements, so all this could be an exercise in futility for this money hungry builder.

A PDD brings them 70 million dollars more then the as-of-right they can build right now. They will destroy OUR QUALITY of LIFE in SHOREHAM forever, but their pockets will be over flowing with greenbacks, on our community's back!

NO to the PDD, YES to Open Space first and then if has to be, homes that will pay full value in taxes, and not create the traffic nightmare, and unsightly, 6 theater multi-plex and smelly sewage treatment plant, amongst many other negatives attached to this hideous plan!

People need to learn all the facts and not be bribed with athletic fields (which do not comply to open space), or other items, that aren't even on the site plan. Reality is that this is wrong for Shoreham, and with any hope, the town board members will concur and we will end this nightmare that is before us now.

Open Space, NOT Stores! And worse case scenario, Homes, NOT stores!
Truth

Port Washington, NY

#18 Sep 24, 2007
patti shoreham wrote:
I live in shoreham in north hills on the golf course . I dont know where people get the numbers that 99% of the people in this area are againt the PDD . I am all for it and so are many of my neighbors .Last thing we need is more large homes in our area . i think this PDD is just what Shoreham needs. they are not talking about a strip shopping center , they are planning to put in a small village with shops and mixed housing. Most of the sod farm is surround by work force housing , but the people who moved into their big homes suddenly dont want people like the ones who built up this beautiful community. I say shame on them.
Patti, I'm sorry but you are dead wrong. This is not how residents feel. If you want all of these unnecessary stores and the traffic, why did you move to Shoreham, here on Eastern Long Island? Sell your home and move to Nassau County. The solution for you is simple.
tom

AOL

#19 Oct 4, 2007
Why move to Shoreham in the first place if you want a village. Maby the people who wanted the PDD should have moved to port jefferson or selden.Any body who does not live close to this project has no idea what the noise and dirt, traffic will be like when they start to build it out.Its a long term project and will take years to build.
It looks like people from all over LI dont want things like this built.It will be a sad day for this town if the builder gets his way.
tom

AOL

#20 Oct 4, 2007
Linda Shoreham wrote:
They have sold you a bill of goods. Vision Long Island, has done their job in PR, and selling their vision, which is a facade!
There is NO village green, but stores upon stores, and traffic created that will bury us even more. PLUS, there are FIVE BEDROOM HOMES! And FOUR BEDROOM HOMES! This is not work force housing! And then what they prefer to be hidden, it is 200 FAMILY homes versus 283, not much difference, but wait, they pay 40% LESS in SCHOOL TAXES! What a deal for the rest of us, we can educate their children, from their 5 bedroom house, and pick up the taxes they don't pay? BTW the same LARGE house the previous writer despises, yet in North Hills where she lives most homes are 4 bedroom there.
NO THANK YOU for me and the rest of our community picking up the tax tab for the school district on their children. NO to the PDD, and the 200 family homes, of 5,4 and 3 bedroom homes, the 183 senior residences. YES, 2,100+ people have said NO on the petition, and when you look at who said no as they were asked, it was a 20:1 ratio at Best, and some no's were only because they weren't familiar with the issue. YES the SUPER MAJORITY of SHOREHAM do not want a PDD! The Pine Barrens has said they do NOT meet Open Space requirements, so all this could be an exercise in futility for this money hungry builder.
A PDD brings them 70 million dollars more then the as-of-right they can build right now. They will destroy OUR QUALITY of LIFE in SHOREHAM forever, but their pockets will be over flowing with greenbacks, on our community's back!
NO to the PDD, YES to Open Space first and then if has to be, homes that will pay full value in taxes, and not create the traffic nightmare, and unsightly, 6 theater multi-plex and smelly sewage treatment plant, amongst many other negatives attached to this hideous plan!
People need to learn all the facts and not be bribed with athletic fields (which do not comply to open space), or other items, that aren't even on the site plan. Reality is that this is wrong for Shoreham, and with any hope, the town board members will concur and we will end this nightmare that is before us now.
Open Space, NOT Stores! And worse case scenario, Homes, NOT stores!
Please call our brookhaven supervisor and let him know how you feel..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shoreham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dans Horse dead farm (Aug '13) 13 hr Barbara 491
News Man busted for burgarly spree in Smithtown (Mar '07) Thu GOP 33
Farmingville, NY (Jul '10) Wed Chuck 33
Rocky Point Kohl's shopping Center (Jun '10) Feb 21 sam 10
Bittrolff Feb 20 Diidhedoit 2
News Suffolk police shuffled in wake of sex predator... (May '07) Feb 20 Loose ends 104
News James Burke paid for sex in Oak Beach during Gi... Feb 14 Plottmasteram 6

Shoreham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shoreham Mortgages