LIPA exploring future routes for old ...

LIPA exploring future routes for old nuclear site

There are 114 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 13, 2008, titled LIPA exploring future routes for old nuclear site. In it, Newsday reports that:

Fourteen years after the Shoreham nuclear power plant was completely decommissioned, Long Island Power Authority officials held a meeting Friday -- and conducted a tour for local officials -- as they consider ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

#104 Jul 30, 2008
Ready Kilowatt wrote:
<quoted text>
This is also a typical attitude of a great number of LIer's, "Let the ugliness of the business of supply (whatever business that maybe since not much is actually produced on LI) happen somewhere else." Yet then complain about the prices of these very things.
dear 'Klueless Killer What'!

While a Nuclear power plant is particularly, and uniquely dangerous on an islnad with such extremely limited ability to evacuate in an emergency, I never suggested the Fool Thing be built anywhere. Until we can control the technology and boil water with it without needing to waste so much energy that it heats up Long Island Sound, nuclear technology is far too dangerous to turn over to greedy, profit motivated people like the ones that ran Lilco.
Reddy Kilowatt

Falls Church, VA

#105 Jul 30, 2008
mister hard driver wrote:
<quoted text>
not a fair asessment - the last time i checked there are currently power plants on LI.
but with a nuclear plant the possibility of having to evacuate the region makes it impractical.
Just like saying "with the Cat 5 storm that's going to hit Long Island (with virtual certainty), the possibility of having to evacuate the region makes living on Long Island impractical."

And just as stupid.

Yet millions do.

So building nukes on Long Island must be viewed as at least as rational, for all but the technologically illiterate, tragically hip and/or ideologically biased.

Fewer and fewer are willing to pay the price just so anti-nuke idealogues can continue to indulge their irrational fears of the nuclear boogeyman.
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

#106 Jul 31, 2008
To Klueless Killer, WHAT ?

FYI Nuclear Radiation inspires a panic'd response in those about to be radiated, that is nothing like a little rain and wind. If one were other than clueless, they might have examined the Chernobyl Disaster and the size of the area radiated by the meltdown, for a possible clue as to what one might reasonably expect. New York City, and much of the area would be sharing in the potential for radiation, and would join in the mad dash to be someplace, anyplace else. That never happens in a hurricane to a city of how many people ? And such courteous and well mannered and thoroughly selfless people Na Yawkers are famous for being. No Problem !

WAKE UP, before allowing your tiny brain to expressing its' tiny ideas !
Ready Kilowatt

Charlotte, NC

#107 Jul 31, 2008
Ed Burke wrote:
<quoted text>
While a Nuclear power plant is particularly, and uniquely dangerous on an islnad with such extremely limited ability to evacuate in an emergency, I never suggested the Fool Thing be built anywhere. Until we can control the technology and boil water with it without needing to waste so much energy that it heats up Long Island Sound, nuclear technology is far too dangerous to turn over to greedy, profit motivated people like the ones that ran Lilco.
Ahh, we can control the technology. We have been for over 50 years. Other countries have been as well. But I guess you just want to keep buring coal, oil and natural gas as the good folks of LI don't want their view of the ocean spoiled by wind mills.
Or you can just doom the area to a higher cost of living than even before as the cost of oil and natural gas go every higher as BRIC countires complete for the supplies of these commodities.
Ready Kilowatt

Charlotte, NC

#108 Jul 31, 2008
Ed Burke wrote:
To Klueless Killer, WHAT ?
FYI Nuclear Radiation inspires a panic'd response in those about to be radiated, that is nothing like a little rain and wind. If one were other than clueless, they might have examined the Chernobyl Disaster and the size of the area radiated by the meltdown, for a possible clue as to what one might reasonably expect. New York City, and much of the area would be sharing in the potential for radiation, and would join in the mad dash to be someplace, anyplace else. That never happens in a hurricane to a city of how many people ? And such courteous and well mannered and thoroughly selfless people Na Yawkers are famous for being. No Problem !
WAKE UP, before allowing your tiny brain to expressing its' tiny ideas !
A little rain and wind? If NYC gets even a category 3 direct hit, the city is closed for many months with hundreds of billions in damage. Last time I checked, a 25 foot storm surge will flood a lot of NYC and LI. And if LI gets the brunt instead, it will be ruined for many months as well. But just because no one alive today has seen it happen doesn't mean it hasn't happened in the past. It has. And when it does, the area is in for an economic disaster. People just choose to ignore this fact. And they can't control it either. You'd have the same "mad dash" out.

And Chernobyl happened in Russia, not here, with a nuclear technology that is not used in US plants. And to compare any Russian technology with that of a similar one being used in the US shows how far you have to dig to make the comparison. For except in a Jane Fonda movie, the companies building nuclear reactors yester-year and today in the US (now with even more up to date technology), are far more reputable than to anything built in Russia. And statistically, youÂ’d sooner see a category 3 in NYC than a nuclear accident.
mister hard driver

Huntington, NY

#109 Jul 31, 2008
Reddy Kilowatt wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like saying "with the Cat 5 storm that's going to hit Long Island (with virtual certainty), the possibility of having to evacuate the region makes living on Long Island impractical."
And just as stupid.
Yet millions do.
So building nukes on Long Island must be viewed as at least as rational, for all but the technologically illiterate, tragically hip and/or ideologically biased.
Fewer and fewer are willing to pay the price just so anti-nuke idealogues can continue to indulge their irrational fears of the nuclear boogeyman.
i dont know about your "virtual certainty" theory.

in 1985 hurricane gloria came through as a cat 2 - the damage from that is not even a memory anymore. if that had been a nuclear accident i guarantee there would still be visible damage today. i guess i'm in the "idealogically biased" category - i'm biased against radiation poisoning.
the point is a hurricane is easier to recover from than a nuclear power plant accident/failure.

and to minimize the threat level on LI is why i object to a plant being here. not, as you say that we reject the manufacturing or supply part of industry. if we did there would not be the traditional power plants that are here.

besides, a hurricane is a natural threat -- not much we can do to control it, but there is no sense in adding newer, deadlier threats like a nuclear power plant.
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

#110 Aug 1, 2008
The idea of a reality based argument with Klueless Killer What, is clearly not possible. Sadly such morons watch FOX Propaganda channel, and then vote as instructed. Which, of course, explains the wreckage we see after 7 years of the corrupt, and incompetent Bush administration. The good news is that 'America' isn't quite so arrogant anymore, now that the Bushies have it on track to our new third world massive debtor nation status. The Bush Depression will go down in the history books, the only question is how long will it stagnate the nation. Electing Bush, The Sequel Mc Cain will help extend the depession, as well as deepen it. Oughta be an interesting election. the Nations collective IQ will be on display once its over, and electing Bush & Company was already a strong suggestion that Americans are all pretty stupid.
Always right

Bangkok, Thailand

#111 Aug 2, 2008
Ed Burke wrote:
<quoted text>
You are still in the stone age.
Dan

Bronx, NY

#112 Aug 7, 2008
I support nuclear power 100%...in your backyard, not mine. If the people of West Babylon, Commack, and Flushing want a nuclear power plant, then build one...WHERE YOU LIVE!I'M ALL FOR IT. Make a toilet of your own neighborhood.
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

#113 Aug 8, 2008
Facts about a A Nuclear Power Plant, most of the energy is wasted and goes into the cooling system that keeps it just hot enough to boil water.

The plant becomes irradiated more every day it operates, and after about 50 years has to Chernobyl'd, that is closed up and guarded so no one goes near the radiation for about 10,000 years.

The irradiated waste the plant produces will be stired at the plant since we still have no idea where to put it all after all these years.

The plant will be run by people who get promoted, and earn pay increases for making money, and squandering it on shutting the plant down whenever some glitch that might irradiate the neighbors happens to po up. So you'll have No Problem trusting your loved ones and all you own to such folks ? You already know them, they're the ones responsible for the power going out everytime the wind blows of the ice storm stops by.

The Nuclear Power plant is NOT run by Government types who don't sweat the money. If the little teeny tiny nuclear plant on a submarine goes a little whacko, they spend anything needed to fix it. Of course the sub commander isn't promoted for making a profitable trip in the sub, the way the Power Company CEO does, who has a house in Palm Springs, just in case.
repugnican morons

Port Washington, NY

#117 Aug 8, 2008
How the U.S. Government Has Mismanaged the Country
Published: August 06, 2008 in [email protected]

America has been failed by its government and the nation now faces catastrophic consequences unless that government changes its ways.

Among the biggest problems he sees:... an uncoordinated band of intelligence agencies that are no better equipped to avoid another September 11 disaster than they were before those terrorist attacks.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cf...
tom

AOL

#118 Aug 19, 2008
I worked on that plant gutting it, it can no longer be used for nuk power. none of the existing components can be used with a conventonial plant as we know it today.what this means is that you just rip down the old buildings and start all over again.
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

#120 Aug 21, 2008
A use for the ill advised, badly constructed, patronage ridden, mob infested defunct old Shoreham Nuclear Mistake ...???

Why Not Make this 'Evidence of Theft and Stupidity' old Shoreham Nuclear power mistake site National Republican Headquarters. What could be more appropriate ?

Rename the place after Pinhead BUSH.

Think of all the REAL ESTATE TAXES they can pay ?
FantheFlames

Somerset, KY

#121 Jul 2, 2009
First of all let me say this....Long before it was a Nuclear power plant, It was a beautiful Refuge for Animals, wildlife, water fowl. I will never forget Hiking on that property and visiting mrs kemps place. all the beautiful wetlands all of nature loved that place. It should Returned to it rightful owners, the Wild. A Refuge.A Sanctuary.God bless you Shoreham , I miss you all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shoreham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charges Filed In LI Chimney Sweep Scam (Feb '06) Mon Chimneyman39 331
News After officer's wake, cops nab drug suspect (Mar '09) Aug 26 Go Blue Forever 212
News 3rd suspect in murder of 2 men found dismembered (Aug '08) Aug 24 Dindu Nuffin 181
News Horseshoe crab sting (Jul '07) Aug 24 11951Ratdog 86
GD Designs Rochdale Aug 24 Anonymous 1
SCCC Destruction of Nature (Dec '12) Aug 20 Rick the custodian 17
KKK Ignorance Aug 17 Sunshineretirednow 1

Shoreham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shoreham Mortgages