Ex-LMPD detective who killed man hired in Bardstown

Aug 11, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 115

McKenzie Mattingly, the former Louisville Metro Police detective who was forced out of the department after shooting a 19-year-old in the back and killing him during a 2004 drug sting, has been hired by the Bardstown Police Department.

Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
FYI

United States

#1 Aug 13, 2010
Mattingly was totally justified in the shooting...and besides...the boy was only a drug dealer. Sounds harsh but his kind...black or white...are worthless to society. Louisvilles only intent in prosecuting that man was to satisfy the black community and make him the sacrificial lamb. And as usual...the media made it even worse with their harsh unrealistic headlines and stories. And you people have got to start using your own heads and seeing past what the media puts out there...they are going to make everything seem worse then it is in order to keep things stirred up. Don't believe what you hear and read...majority of it is BS. Mattingly is no different then the rest of us...at least those of us who work...he was a man just doing his job...and not one of you knows what it's like to do his job...you just spout off and react with the intelligence of a toadstool...instead of thinking the situation through. I'm so glad that Mattingly was given a job here...the man deserves a break...and he'll do a good job. His family deserves a break too...they are no different then the rest of you out there who have gone through hard times from no fault of your own...and because they love that man and believe in him they stood behind him and encouraged him to carry on.
The only people who don't think society is a mess are the ones who are a part of the problem. The rest of us who don't drink and drive...do drugs...beat on our spouses...or steal etc...we are going to work everyday...raising our children to be productive individuals...and trying to make solid intelligent decisions everyday about the things we do and how it will affect others. You are either a part of the solution or part of the problem...you know where you fit.
On the news a couple of nights ago...they interviewed a black man here in town...his name is on the tip of my tongue but I can't get it...but he sat on what I assume was the porch of his house...looking like he crawled out of the gutter...and tried to answer questions like his opinion mattered...you would have thought he would have cleaned himself up some and presented himself in a dignified manner...but instead he sat there looking like a homeless person...and muttered a bunch of comments that were totally laughable and had little value. He...my friends...is part of the problem. He does not care about the people in this town nor does he value the life of an innocent person...he only cares that a black man was killed by gunfire...not that that man had a gun or was a drug dealer...that has no meaning to him. Closed minded people like that are nothing but trouble and are good at nothing but keeping the pot stirred. As a society we have to decide what we value and what we must do to maintain that...and our court systems need to step up to the plate and be responsible in carrying out the laws and punishments. If there were fewer lawyers...the world would be in better condition...because as long as lawyers put morales and values aside to defend known criminals...this world will not improve.
Mattingly is a person just like the rest of us...he did his job and did it well. He is a tough officer but those of us who live by the law have no problem with that. I commend him for his strength in taking this job...it won't be easy with all of the mud slinging that is going on...and I commend the department for putting faith in him and doing what's right by him. You people should be supporting him...not pointing fingers...fingers point both ways.
Frank

Bardstown, KY

#2 Aug 13, 2010
he's a disgrace to the Corps
I agree

Chicago, IL

#3 Aug 13, 2010
FYI wrote:
Mattingly was totally justified in the shooting...and besides...the boy was only a drug dealer. Sounds harsh but his kind...black or white...are worthless to society. Louisvilles only intent in prosecuting that man was to satisfy the black community and make him the sacrificial lamb. And as usual...the media made it even worse with their harsh unrealistic headlines and stories. And you people have got to start using your own heads and seeing past what the media puts out there...they are going to make everything seem worse then it is in order to keep things stirred up. Don't believe what you hear and read...majority of it is BS. Mattingly is no different then the rest of us...at least those of us who work...he was a man just doing his job...and not one of you knows what it's like to do his job...you just spout off and react with the intelligence of a toadstool...instead of thinking the situation through. I'm so glad that Mattingly was given a job here...the man deserves a break...and he'll do a good job. His family deserves a break too...they are no different then the rest of you out there who have gone through hard times from no fault of your own...and because they love that man and believe in him they stood behind him and encouraged him to carry on.
The only people who don't think society is a mess are the ones who are a part of the problem. The rest of us who don't drink and drive...do drugs...beat on our spouses...or steal etc...we are going to work everyday...raising our children to be productive individuals...and trying to make solid intelligent decisions everyday about the things we do and how it will affect others. You are either a part of the solution or part of the problem...you know where you fit.
On the news a couple of nights ago...they interviewed a black man here in town...his name is on the tip of my tongue but I can't get it...but he sat on what I assume was the porch of his house...looking like he crawled out of the gutter...and tried to answer questions like his opinion mattered...you would have thought he would have cleaned himself up some and presented himself in a dignified manner...but instead he sat there looking like a homeless person...and muttered a bunch of comments that were totally laughable and had little value. He...my friends...is part of the problem. He does not care about the people in this town nor does he value the life of an innocent person...he only cares that a black man was killed by gunfire...not that that man had a gun or was a drug dealer...that has no meaning to him. Closed minded people like that are nothing but trouble and are good at nothing but keeping the pot stirred. As a society we have to decide what we value and what we must do to maintain that...and our court systems need to step up to the plate and be responsible in carrying out the laws and punishments. If there were fewer lawyers...the world would be in better condition...because as long as lawyers put morales and values aside to defend known criminals...this world will not improve.
Mattingly is a person just like the rest of us...he did his job and did it well. He is a tough officer but those of us who live by the law have no problem with that. I commend him for his strength in taking this job...it won't be easy with all of the mud slinging that is going on...and I commend the department for putting faith in him and doing what's right by him. You people should be supporting him...not pointing fingers...fingers point both ways.
I totally agree and well said. The people complaining about it will have problems reading and comprehending a letter this long though. Still, well written!
Gen

Lexington, KY

#4 Aug 13, 2010
FYI wrote:
Mattingly was totally justified in the shooting...and besides...the boy was only a drug dealer. Sounds harsh but his kind...black or white...are worthless to society. Louisvilles only intent in prosecuting that man was to satisfy the black community and make him the sacrificial lamb. And as usual...the media made it even worse with their harsh unrealistic headlines and stories. And you people have got to start using your own heads and seeing past what the media puts out there...they are going to make everything seem worse then it is in order to keep things stirred up. Don't believe what you hear and read...majority of it is BS. Mattingly is no different then the rest of us...at least those of us who work...he was a man just doing his job...and not one of you knows what it's like to do his job...you just spout off and react with the intelligence of a toadstool...instead of thinking the situation through. I'm so glad that Mattingly was given a job here...the man deserves a break...and he'll do a good job. His family deserves a break too...they are no different then the rest of you out there who have gone through hard times from no fault of your own...and because they love that man and believe in him they stood behind him and encouraged him to carry on.
The only people who don't think society is a mess are the ones who are a part of the problem. The rest of us who don't drink and drive...do drugs...beat on our spouses...or steal etc...we are going to work everyday...raising our children to be productive individuals...and trying to make solid intelligent decisions everyday about the things we do and how it will affect others. You are either a part of the solution or part of the problem...you know where you fit.
On the news a couple of nights ago...they interviewed a black man here in town...his name is on the tip of my tongue but I can't get it...but he sat on what I assume was the porch of his house...looking like he crawled out of the gutter...and tried to answer questions like his opinion mattered...you would have thought he would have cleaned himself up some and presented himself in a dignified manner...but instead he sat there looking like a homeless person...and muttered a bunch of comments that were totally laughable and had little value. He...my friends...is part of the problem. He does not care about the people in this town nor does he value the life of an innocent person...he only cares that a black man was killed by gunfire...not that that man had a gun or was a drug dealer...that has no meaning to him. Closed minded people like that are nothing but trouble and are good at nothing but keeping the pot stirred. As a society we have to decide what we value and what we must do to maintain that...and our court systems need to step up to the plate and be responsible in carrying out the laws and punishments. If there were fewer lawyers...the world would be in better condition...because as long as lawyers put morales and values aside to defend known criminals...this world will not improve.
Mattingly is a person just like the rest of us...he did his job and did it well. He is a tough officer but those of us who live by the law have no problem with that. I commend him for his strength in taking this job...it won't be easy with all of the mud slinging that is going on...and I commend the department for putting faith in him and doing what's right by him. You people should be supporting him...not pointing fingers...fingers point both ways.
I completely AGREE!!!!
Take a toke and hold it

Bardstown, KY

#5 Aug 13, 2010
"Sounds harsh but his kind...black or white...are worthless to society"

But our Mayor was a drug dealer!!! His grow operation was busted and Martha Layne Collins was very nice to his family. So I guess if somebody shoots him in the back its OK....LOL
Car 54 where are you

Bardstown, KY

#6 Aug 14, 2010
Who's driving that Bardstown Police Car at Timmy Hutchins house tonight?
Guy Fawkes

Lexington, KY

#7 Jan 3, 2013
Shot him in the back? Why?

RIP Michael Newby RIP
hmmm

Duluth, GA

#8 Jan 4, 2013
Well he has been part of the force for a while now. No incidents. Cops have a job to do and that's protect innocent people. That's what he did
Uncle Tom

Lexington, KY

#9 Jan 4, 2013
I personally think shootin somebody in the back is honorable. Thank you LMPD !
Uncle Tom

Lexington, KY

#10 Jan 4, 2013
Why was he even fired? Doesn't seem right. Just b/c of one murder? Come on! Give the man a 2nd chance!
pig

Bardstown, KY

#11 Jan 4, 2013
FYI wrote:
Mattingly was totally justified in the shooting...and besides...the boy was only a drug dealer. Sounds harsh but his kind...black or white...are worthless to society. Louisvilles only intent in prosecuting that man was to satisfy the black community and make him the sacrificial lamb. And as usual...the media made it even worse with their harsh unrealistic headlines and stories. And you people have got to start using your own heads and seeing past what the media puts out there...they are going to make everything seem worse then it is in order to keep things stirred up. Don't believe what you hear and read...majority of it is BS. Mattingly is no different then the rest of us...at least those of us who work...he was a man just doing his job...and not one of you knows what it's like to do his job...you just spout off and react with the intelligence of a toadstool...instead of thinking the situation through. I'm so glad that Mattingly was given a job here...the man deserves a break...and he'll do a good job. His family deserves a break too...they are no different then the rest of you out there who have gone through hard times from no fault of your own...and because they love that man and believe in him they stood behind him and encouraged him to carry on.
The only people who don't think society is a mess are the ones who are a part of the problem. The rest of us who don't drink and drive...do drugs...beat on our spouses...or steal etc...we are going to work everyday...raising our children to be productive individuals...and trying to make solid intelligent decisions everyday about the things we do and how it will affect others. You are either a part of the solution or part of the problem...you know where you fit.
On the news a couple of nights ago...they interviewed a black man here in town...his name is on the tip of my tongue but I can't get it...but he sat on what I assume was the porch of his house...looking like he crawled out of the gutter...and tried to answer questions like his opinion mattered...you would have thought he would have cleaned himself up some and presented himself in a dignified manner...but instead he sat there looking like a homeless person...and muttered a bunch of comments that were totally laughable and had little value. He...my friends...is part of the problem. He does not care about the people in this town nor does he value the life of an innocent person...he only cares that a black man was killed by gunfire...not that that man had a gun or was a drug dealer...that has no meaning to him. Closed minded people like that are nothing but trouble and are good at nothing but keeping the pot stirred. As a society we have to decide what we value and what we must do to maintain that...and our court systems need to step up to the plate and be responsible in carrying out the laws and punishments. If there were fewer lawyers...the world would be in better condition...because as long as lawyers put morales and values aside to defend known criminals...this world will not improve.
Mattingly is a person just like the rest of us...he did his job and did it well. He is a tough officer but those of us who live by the law have no problem with that. I commend him for his strength in taking this job...it won't be easy with all of the mud slinging that is going on...and I commend the department for putting faith in him and doing what's right by him. You people should be supporting him...not pointing fingers...fingers point both ways.
Sounds like this either maattingley him self another pig or a family member trying to justify his and police like him abuseing their power like always and I'm sure he will make a good addition to already corrupt town typical pigs and politicians your all dirty and self serving and corrupt
Uncle Tom

Lexington, KY

#13 Jan 4, 2013
I think all pharmaceutical companies, and all Wallgreens, all those drug dealers... such as stores that sell alcohol, should have the same fate.
Semper Fi

Bardstown, KY

#14 Jan 4, 2013
hmmm wrote:
Well he has been part of the force for a while now. No incidents. Cops have a job to do and that's protect innocent people. That's what he did
just how is shooting a boy in back while he's running away "protecting innocent people?" it sounds like you are racist and making excuses for cowardly and dishonorable conduct. No excuse for that action and less excuse for providing the man with more opportunities to commit the same behavior. plenty of other well qualified young men and women coming back from active military duty that are looking for a career in law enforcement. it's unecessary, risky and careless of the city to hire a man with a record of abusive behavior in addition to the Newby youth homicide. chickens will always come home to roost though, and it's only a question of what politician is holding the gavel when they do.
Dr feel

Bardstown, KY

#15 Jan 4, 2013
Old news, he was tried and cleared by a jury of his peers. Move on, he is doing an excellent job busting meth heads, I say give him a pay raise and keep busting drug dealers.
YAKE

Bardstown, KY

#16 Jan 4, 2013
Semper Fi wrote:
<quoted text>just how is shooting a boy in back while he's running away "protecting innocent people?" it sounds like you are racist and making excuses for cowardly and dishonorable conduct. No excuse for that action and less excuse for providing the man with more opportunities to commit the same behavior. plenty of other well qualified young men and women coming back from active military duty that are looking for a career in law enforcement. it's unecessary, risky and careless of the city to hire a man with a record of abusive behavior in addition to the Newby youth homicide. chickens will always come home to roost though, and it's only a question of what politician is holding the gavel when they do.
... well said sir. The City couldn't CARRY enough insurance to pay for the kind of settlement they would be facing if Mattingly bit someone again. lawyers would be giving their first born to represent the next "Newby family" in a wrongful death lawsuit or violating civil rights civil suit. Bardstown would have to start charging tourists to see our shitty little town for 50 years to pay for that type of bill. but I'm sure he's worth every million of it out there "bustin heads" lmbfao!
EKU

Bardstown, KY

#18 Jan 4, 2013
Dr feel wrote:
Old news, he was tried and cleared by a jury of his peers. Move on, he is doing an excellent job busting meth heads, I say give him a pay raise and keep busting drug dealers.
just because he wasn't convicted of murder, which how many times do you EVER see a city prosecute one of their police officers for MURDER??? just because he wasn't convicted of MURDER doesn't have shit in shinola to do with how bad of an idea if is for him to continue working with a badge and a gun. I actually work in insurance and risk management, and the potential consequences of this are immeasurable, both in terms of life and dollars. when weighed in terms of potential cost/benefit, it's simply ridiculous to put a single mid level city employee position in place to wipe out years of revenue... and that's EXACTLY what will happen if Mattingly fucks it up again. whether he's charged with murder or not.
HatinHypocrits

Louisville, KY

#19 Jan 4, 2013
Yea, those damn cops. Hate 'em when they do thier jobs, hate 'em when they don't. You don't get it both ways. The thugster got planted because of the trash that he was. He chose his path and ultimately his destination. I sure wouldn't want to be a cop. They don't make enough bullets. The thugs would stack like firewood.
YAKE

Bardstown, KY

#21 Jan 4, 2013
HatinHypocrits wrote:
Yea, those damn cops. Hate 'em when they do thier jobs, hate 'em when they don't. You don't get it both ways. The thugster got planted because of the trash that he was. He chose his path and ultimately his destination. I sure wouldn't want to be a cop. They don't make enough bullets. The thugs would stack like firewood.
talkin tough is cool and all down at cozy corner or Parker's but I'm talking about actually managing a city. dumbass.
Uncle Tom

Lexington, KY

#22 Jan 4, 2013
Cops r the best thugs in town. Im glad I pay them to beat us up, and to oppress us, and NO! I dont care what they do... I luv 'em so much, I'll b goosesteppin rite along side of them when they need me to!
YAKE

Bardstown, KY

#23 Jan 4, 2013
Uncle Tom wrote:
Cops r the best thugs in town. Im glad I pay them to beat us up, and to oppress us, and NO! I dont care what they do... I luv 'em so much, I'll b goosesteppin rite along side of them when they need me to!
I think they're great cause we pay their salaries to shoot us in the back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shively Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Louisville Cardinals vs Kentucky Wildcats Dec 2... 4 hr Oh No He Did Not 2
Police arrest seven people on drug charges at F... 4 hr bill 2
Kentucky wants to give illegal immigrants drive... (Nov '07) 5 hr Sniper II 22
Grade lane hit and run (Travis Christy)This is ... (Nov '12) 5 hr FARTIN LOUD WMY F... 143
Mouse Moments - (Sep '11) 6 hr Righty Mouse 12,447
brad jones fairdale 7 hr sandwich 9
places that hire felons.help! Fri constanceswan 1
Shively Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Shively People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Shively News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Shively

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 4:00AM
Broncos vs. Bengals: TV Info, Spread, Injury Updates, Game Time and More
NBC Sports11:17 AM
Peyton Manning officially questionable for Monday night
Bleacher Report11:56 AM
Eagles vs. Redskins: Live Score and Analysis for Philadelphia
Yahoo! Sports 5:54 PM
Eagles playoff hopes suffer with loss to Redskins
Bleacher Report 6:14 PM
RG3 Showing Enough to Remain Starter in WSH