Why Was The American Civil War Fought?

Posted in the Shively Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“I Protest the Roman Papacy”

Since: Jan 13

Louisville, Ky

#1 Mar 1, 2013
Why Was The American Civil War Fought?
Wake up

Duluth, GA

#3 Mar 1, 2013
Economic and social differences. I think maybe the election of Lincoln played a part to?
heritageguy

Lexington, TN

#4 Mar 1, 2013
It was faught because of northern oppression because the north was taxing the south so bad even though many belive what started the war was slavary it didn't come into the mix until 1863 when Mr.lincon was losing support for the war before this time he was a supporter of slavary
Pig Benis

Shepherdsville, KY

#5 Mar 1, 2013
People trying to sound smart on the internet when all the information is right at their fingertips..great job genius.
heritageguy

Perkinston, MS

#6 Mar 1, 2013
What you mean trying to sound smart?
Pig Benis

Shepherdsville, KY

#7 Mar 1, 2013
heritageguy wrote:
What you mean trying to sound smart?
Trying to act smart is a better way of putting it I suppose.

Ask me a question about anything in the world and watch how smart I am!
Scarecrow

Louisville, KY

#8 Mar 1, 2013
With all that's going on right now, why would anyone be interested in this ???????
heritageguy

Perkinston, MS

#9 Mar 1, 2013
Na it ain't that its just that I because of where I stand on that war I get a lot of arguments so I've done my homework on it so I know a lot bout that one thing I don't know as much about other things not trying to ack smart
Pig Benis

Shepherdsville, KY

#10 Mar 1, 2013
heritageguy wrote:
Na it ain't that its just that I because of where I stand on that war I get a lot of arguments so I've done my homework on it so I know a lot bout that one thing I don't know as much about other things not trying to ack smart
Ya,whatever Goober.
Wake up

Duluth, GA

#11 Mar 1, 2013
Scarecrow wrote:
With all that's going on right now, why would anyone be interested in this ???????
You can learn a lot about the future by looking at the past
Pig Benis

Shepherdsville, KY

#12 Mar 1, 2013
And by reading Wikipedia..
Scarecrow

Louisville, KY

#13 Mar 1, 2013
I googled reasons for American Civil War and

got About 25,800,000 results (0.23 seconds).

I think this guy is just trying to stir up some crap.......

“I Protest the Roman Papacy”

Since: Jan 13

Louisville, Ky

#14 Mar 1, 2013
The slavery foundation is terribly weak. First, who owned slaves? In the 1850 census Kentucky was compromised of 8% slave holders, and Virginia, 6% slave holders.[24] Even a liberal publication like PBS’s Africans in America admits,

“The standard image of Southern slavery is that of a large plantation with hundreds of slaves. In fact, such situations were rare. Fully 3/4 of Southern whites did not even own slaves; of those who did, 88% owned twenty or fewer.”[25]

Walter Kennedy figured that the Southern non-slave holders made up “80-90 percent of the Southern population.”[26]

Thus any accusation that the Southern non-slave owners would fight for slavery indirectly so to preserve their State wide economies is absurd. Moreover, the North had more of a stake in Southern slavery than many Southerners.

[24] William O. Blake, The History of Slavery and the Slave Trade, page 830:

http://books.google.com/books...

[25] http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p2956.html

[26] Myths, pg. 34
Pig Benis

Shepherdsville, KY

#15 Mar 1, 2013
Great copy n paste job moron..

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#16 Mar 1, 2013
heritageguy wrote:
It was faught because of northern oppression because the north was taxing the south so bad even though many belive what started the war was slavary it didn't come into the mix until 1863 when Mr.lincon was losing support for the war before this time he was a supporter of slavary
Read the secession documents of the southern states. They all say that their primary reason for rebelling against the Union was slavery.

The idea that slavery wasn't the main (though not sole) reason for the war is just apologetics by southern conservative.
heritageguy

Duluth, GA

#17 Mar 1, 2013
Hahaha it's like that commercial they can't put anything on the Internet that's not true
Pig Benis

Shepherdsville, KY

#18 Mar 1, 2013
heritageguy wrote:
Hahaha it's like that commercial they can't put anything on the Internet that's not true
And you think everything you read in books,watch on TV or was told by your professors or teachers is 100% factual?

“I Protest the Roman Papacy”

Since: Jan 13

Louisville, Ky

#19 Mar 1, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the secession documents of the southern states. They all say that their primary reason for rebelling against the Union was slavery.
The idea that slavery wasn't the main (though not sole) reason for the war is just apologetics by southern conservative.
I find it curious that you don't just quote from them and give us a link to the book.

“I Protest the Roman Papacy”

Since: Jan 13

Louisville, Ky

#20 Mar 1, 2013
Pig Benis wrote:
Great copy n paste job moron..
It is my work.
heritageguy

Perkinston, MS

#21 Mar 1, 2013
Na I'm telling you what my granddaddy grandad who faught in it told him and he told me

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shively Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hebron Estates Music Emporium (Oct '12) 36 min Musikologist 13
the christmas carol at actors theatre 4 hr theater goer 2
door to door meat sales (Jan '13) 10 hr Angel 55
Carla Rushing Aka The pornstar Cody lane Living... (Nov '11) 11 hr The real cody lane 260
Ford's pre-employment test (Aug '11) 16 hr ForumCommando 63
KFC yum! center 16 hr ForumCommando 24
Review: Pettit Environmental 16 hr Angry Customer 1
Shively Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Shively People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Shively News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Shively

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
Preview, Prediction for Bengals vs. Broncos
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
NFL Power Rankings Week 17: Predicting Post-Monday Night Football Standings
NBC Sports10:10 AM
Why does Cincinnati shrink in the spotlight?
NBC Sports10:31 AM
Cowboys' collapse never occurred
Bleacher Report 1:31 PM
Allen (Knee) to Get MRI; Considered Day-to-Day