Revenue from traffic fines on the dec...

Revenue from traffic fines on the decline - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 17 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Aug 29, 2010, titled Revenue from traffic fines on the decline - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

While the economy struggles to recover from its near free-fall and municipal coffers seemingly have more dust than gold, police departments in North Central Massachusetts have also seen a steady decline in revenue from traffic tickets in recent years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

Fizbo

Leominster, MA

#1 Aug 29, 2010
Enforcement of traffic Laws?
What's that ?

Since: Apr 09

Leominster, MA

#2 Aug 29, 2010
The City of Leominster only has 1 full time "Traffic Enforcement Officer" from what I've been told.
Zimmer

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Aug 29, 2010
Maybe.... Cops should just do the job that they are paid to do and make traffic stops....funny I thought that was part of the job. Geuss not......
funny

Burlington, MA

#4 Aug 29, 2010
if they reported fines were up people would be screaming on this topic.
Fizbo

Leominster, MA

#5 Aug 29, 2010
When the city gets complaints about traffic, it sets out equipment such as speed trailers to show motorists how fast they are traveling and traffic counters. Then the police department can redeploy manpower to target the area if there is a problem, Mazzarella said.

"We would much rather people slow down, not run lights, because that just increases risk of somebody getting in an accident," he said.

What? People run red lights all the time. Fact is, there is NO enforcement of the traffic laws in Leominster.

I've seen those "your speed is" setups all over Leominster. NEVER have I seen a speed trap setup soon after either.

FP
Know your laws

Lexington, MA

#6 Aug 29, 2010
Zimmer wrote:
Maybe.... Cops should just do the job that they are paid to do and make traffic stops....funny I thought that was part of the job. Geuss not......
The city only collects on local city traffic laws that are broken. The city only receives a very small portion of the State traffic laws that are broken so such a traffic stop is tying up resources and actually costing the city money.
Jake

Leominster, MA

#7 Aug 29, 2010
If they are not getting revenue it surely isn't because the laws are being obeyed. I see more people running stop signs than stopping for them, and the other day I saw a car pass a line of cars stopped at a red light to run the red light without even slowing down. Cars that had the green light had to stop to keep from hitting the guy. And we've all seen the 3 cars go through the red light after it turns red. Speeding and aggressive driving are also right up there with the laws being broken. I typically like to do 65 on Rt. 2 where 55 is the maximum...and I am normally passed by just about every car on the road. These are mostly happening in Leominster that I witness.

I don't think that there is so much crime in Leominster to keep all the cops busy all the time. I think they should take some time out of their busy schedule to ticket some of these guys. If these idiots see people getting tickets they might start obeying some of the laws. Without enforcement it's a blank check to break whatever traffic laws they want. It burns my butt when I see Leominster cops witness and ignore people running lights and stop signs, while they cruise around looking for something more interesting to do.

Since: Apr 09

Leominster, MA

#8 Aug 29, 2010
Jake wrote:
If they are not getting revenue it surely isn't because the laws are being obeyed. I see more people running stop signs than stopping for them, and the other day I saw a car pass a line of cars stopped at a red light to run the red light without even slowing down. Cars that had the green light had to stop to keep from hitting the guy. And we've all seen the 3 cars go through the red light after it turns red. Speeding and aggressive driving are also right up there with the laws being broken. I typically like to do 65 on Rt. 2 where 55 is the maximum...and I am normally passed by just about every car on the road. These are mostly happening in Leominster that I witness.
I don't think that there is so much crime in Leominster to keep all the cops busy all the time. I think they should take some time out of their busy schedule to ticket some of these guys. If these idiots see people getting tickets they might start obeying some of the laws. Without enforcement it's a blank check to break whatever traffic laws they want. It burns my butt when I see Leominster cops witness and ignore people running lights and stop signs, while they cruise around looking for something more interesting to do.
Like 5 cruisers showing up at a routine traffic stop, this happens on a regular basis.
Here We Go Again

Gardner, MA

#9 Aug 29, 2010
Everytime I have seen a traffic violation, both city as well as state, I end up saying "where are the police when you need them?"
Tom Collins

Charlestown, MA

#10 Aug 30, 2010
they got a federal grant to set up speed traps...I guess I'm glad that money didn't get renewed this year.
Darn Tootin from W Newton

Marlborough, MA

#11 Aug 30, 2010
It certainly appears that the Mass State Cops have beefed up their speed traps lately. A day hardly goes by where I don't see them hiding out somewhere. Typically, it is at the end of a long hill; where cars are picking up speed anyway. Besides, we all know that the Mass State cops prefer to drive at 95 to 100 mph out on our highways; so it seems highly hypocritical of them to be writing tickets to people who are driving at anything less than that.

Ditto for the Fitchburg PD. These boys had their speedtraps going over the weekend. But, it is a slap in the face to anyone getting a speeding ticket for going a few miles on hour; knowing full well that over at JR's Cruise Nights; patrons are frequently blasting down North Street at very high rates of speed; after leaving plenty of rubber on North Street to prove it. So, the FPD nickles and dimes a few people for minor traffic citations in certain parts of the City; and they turn a blind eye to worse behavoir as long as it happens at a bar that is owned by a cop? Big surprise there; right folks!

Besides; we all know that any cop will fix tickets for himself, his family and his friends; so the whole system is a big sham anyway....
disgusted

Wellesley, MA

#12 Aug 30, 2010
darn stop saying the same things over and over and over again its getting real old and it doesnt make them true. Did you read this article. the fitchburg police give out the least amount of money fines around and have for years. This is fact they showed you the facts like you always like to say. I quess you have been wrong when you have stated soo many times that all the fitchburg police do is write bull$hit tickets all day. Looks like the only one thats full of bull$hit is you.
Darn Tootin from W Newton

Marlborough, MA

#13 Aug 30, 2010
disgusted wrote:
darn stop saying the same things over and over and over again its getting real old and it doesnt make them true. Did you read this article. the fitchburg police give out the least amount of money fines around and have for years. This is fact they showed you the facts like you always like to say. I quess you have been wrong when you have stated soo many times that all the fitchburg police do is write bull$hit tickets all day. Looks like the only one thats full of bull$hit is you.
Yes, I DID read the story; and yes, I agree that the story says that the FPD gives out the least amount of traffic tickets around. But, this is of little consolation to anyone unlucky enough to actually get a citition issued by the FPD, knowing the shenanigans that go completely unchecked over at JR's twice each week.......

Since: Apr 09

Leominster, MA

#15 Aug 30, 2010
Resident wrote:
Darn does have a valid point regarding JRs. It is curious that there are tire marks in the road between the fire station and JRs. Obviously the hot rodders feel entitled to create that disturbance as they know they won't get ticketed, even though it's a public street. If you or I did that in front of an officer we'd get ticketed at the very least, most likely given a field sobriety test as you'd have to be drunk to pull an idiotic stunt like that in front of an officer.
As a contrast, we (wife, 2 young kids) stopped at Kimball's in Lancaster last Friday evening after dinner and they had their Cruising night in full swing. There were hot rods coming and going from the lot and not a single one dared to spin their tires. The engines got revved but that's what muscle cars do. But not a single driver disrespected the law or the officers at each entrance. To Darn's point, that type of behavior is allowed in Fitchburg.
Because the Lancaster Police are hard ####'s and give plenty of tickets...
Jimmy

Fitchburg, MA

#16 Aug 30, 2010
Tickets for spinning tires or going a little over the speed limit are BS. They cause your insurance to go up and put money in the insurance companies pockets. If you forget to get your state inspection on time it is a moving violation and you get a surcharge. If you drive like an a** you should get a ticket, but not to raise revenue. Stop the bS surcharges that put money in the wrong pockets. if the insurance companies weren't filling the pockets of thwe law makers we wouldn't get hammered with these charges. Cops know this and are reluctent to give the average Joe a ticket that will cost them for years to come. Change this stupid law.
Resident

Gardner, MA

#17 Aug 30, 2010
Jimmy, put the pipe down. There's no such thing as "a little" crack problem.

“I'm a Fitchburger and Proud ”

Since: Jan 08

Fitchburg ( of course)

#18 Aug 31, 2010
Tom Collins wrote:
they got a federal grant to set up speed traps...I guess I'm glad that money didn't get renewed this year.
Yeah, well tom drunkard, what if it was your loved ones who got killed by an illegal driver while on their way to church... Do you think that federally funded traffic stops would perhaps saved your family... It's all a matter of relativity. On the outside you point fingers and scream govt waste... but from the inside you cry and scream "where was the funding to stop this". So Tom, unless you want your whole family wiped out by "illegals" and drunkards (tom collins... Really) and scofflaws perhaps you should think about a country without federal funding... You BooB!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shirley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bolton call firefighter charged in Lancaster, M... (May '15) 11 hr Darn Tootin 10
News Serving life for Ayer murder, ex-Green Beret su... (Jan '09) Jul 6 QBob 125
News Convict sues Ayer police (Jun '08) Jul 4 Disappointed 50
News Ayer man remains held without bail in domestic-... Jul 3 Fake News 1
Harvard is a joke (Dec '10) Jun '17 American 3
News Church bids farewell to the Rev. Denham (Aug '10) May '17 MLPaige 2
We offer all types of loans at 2% (May '13) May '17 Tim Leydon 4

Shirley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shirley Mortgages