Leominster council approves $97.7M budget - Sentinel & Enterprise

City Councilors on Monday night voted to amend Mayor Dean Mazzarella's proposed budget and passed a $97,674,565 general fund budget by a vote of 6 to 2. The vote came after some contentious debate in the City Council chambers over City Hall positions, and the council's final decision to cut $55,435 will eliminate the position of the human resources ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
taxpayer

Leominster, MA

#1 Jun 29, 2010
the mayor is always right ...he is tried and true and always has the best interests of the city and it's pocketbook at heart....some councilors grandstand, but the mayor makes the hard decisions and lives with his critics and he does it very comnfortably....
Not in Kansas anymore

United States

#2 Jun 29, 2010
Jim please stop. Everyone knows you are infatuated with the mayor because he made sure your stupid project got passed - can't wait to watch that flop. The mayor is wrong more than you think but has spun his massive p.r. web so much, no one can see past the man behind the curtain. Honestly, who do you think is going to be on the receiving end of the "I'll show them who's boss" attitude because the Council fired the Personnel Director - the 38 non-union employees who can do nothing about it!! I used to be impressed by Dean, but as the economy has taken its toll on everyone, he continues to show his arse by proving time and time again, he's here only for the limelight and not the residents of Leominster and especially not the people who work for him and who work so hard to make him look good. The cracks in the facade are becoming apparent, it's time to replace the picture in the auditorium.
Lynch for State Senate

Belmont, MA

#3 Jun 29, 2010
I am the peoples choice as I am running as an independent for the State Senate seat currently held by Jennifer Flanagan.
I will fight for the citizens of this district. I am running as a write in/sticker candidate. My opponents are writing me out due to this fact, I don't have the financial backing of any special interest group. I am running for the common people.
My name is Kevin Lynch and my address is 48 Cedar st. You must print both in the write in area of the ballot.
As the Republicans state that there is too much government spending. I will vote and propose laws that address this fact directly. To be honest we must create jobs to ease this massive government spending. This massive government spending is the doing of both Democrats and Republicans.
The key to this success is JOBS! I have written Jennifer Flanagan's office numerous times in reference to the multi million dollar grant to build a new Fitchburg commuter rail and upgrades to the existing rails. These grants were set up to promote JOB creation!
This districts construction industry has been belted down by the economy and illegal immigration. We must focus directly and soley on re-employing our construction industry!!!
No local politician has budged toward this goal! I am your candidate who will make sure that the unemployed is heard! Re-employing these men and women will boost revenues and lessen government spending! We need to be creative, we need to employ our citizens!
Democrats talk about jobs ; it needs to be the everyday topic. It needs to be addressed everyday! Bring the CEOs to the table and ask them for suggestions at the same time speak clearly and straightforward to them about bonuses ect. We need to take this creation and re-employment of jobs as the biggest issue facing our country!
Bush attempted to cut taxes for the wealthy and he removed Clintons pollution ban. Neither move created jobs at all! If corporations complain about taxes as the roadblock concerning job creation then ;make a deal! Less taxes and more jobs at the same time!
Clinton did this with the work visas for Brazilian citizens. I state we need to do the same for American citizens! My campaign motto is "Americans first and foremost!"
We are at a point where we need to give tax credits to businesses who hire Americans! America is losing too many jobs to India,China,Dubai and many other countries.
I did not vote for Obama but I must admit that he was left with a mess. The Republicans want everyone to forget the fact that McCain suspended his campaign as he and candidate Obama went to the whitehouse for an emergency meeting as the U.S economy was on verge of total collapse!
Lynch for State Senate

Belmont, MA

#4 Jun 29, 2010
Unlike these two parties; there is no smoke screens here, no trickery, no empty promises. We want results today! I will bus the citizens of this district to the state house and encourage the rest of the states citizens to march to the state house with demands!
We want action! We will walk the talk! Where is Senator Flanagan today? The Senator is off to a back slapping hoorah! This district isn't about Jennifer Flanagan! It is about every citizen who lives in this district! The two sides are easy to see and understand. Either you want less government spending that produces less taxation or you want more job opportunities, re-employment and a focus on job creation!
I understand it like this, both sides feed each other. We need jobs for those that are receiving government funds. This isn't a snap the fingers fix but it is very do able. We must give energy to this fact everyday!
Welfare reform took on this path. We just need to give Job creation needs more energy! Forget this back slapping convention, pull up your sleeves and get to work! How can we turn this multi million dollar grant project into massive jobs for the districts unemployed?
How do we motivate the banks to give home equity loans? They are too hesitant! They make their money on interest through taking chances. There will be some who state well look what happened when they took chances, major foreclosures. They stepped too far forward and gave loans for second and third homes to individuals who lost their jobs on a massive scale! We need to protect American jobs! Google Dubai and India and look at their job creation rate over the past 12 years!
I love the world and the many awesome cultures that they present but it has to be "America first and foremost"!! America is made up of all these cultures. Every citizen has its own prefix, Irish American,African American Latin American, Mexican American, Canadian American, and the list goes on for ever to American Indian. Our allegiance is to America, America first and foremost!!
Leominster Resident 2

Leominster, MA

#5 Jun 29, 2010
Lynch for State Senate wrote:
Unlike these two parties; there is no smoke screens here, no trickery, no empty promises. We want results today! I will bus the citizens of this district to the state house and encourage the rest of the states citizens to march to the state house with demands!
We want action! We will walk the talk! Where is Senator Flanagan today? The Senator is off to a back slapping hoorah! This district isn't about Jennifer Flanagan! It is about every citizen who lives in this district! The two sides are easy to see and understand. Either you want less government spending that produces less taxation or you want more job opportunities, re-employment and a focus on job creation!
I understand it like this, both sides feed each other. We need jobs for those that are receiving government funds. This isn't a snap the fingers fix but it is very do able. We must give energy to this fact everyday!
Welfare reform took on this path. We just need to give Job creation needs more energy! Forget this back slapping convention, pull up your sleeves and get to work! How can we turn this multi million dollar grant project into massive jobs for the districts unemployed?
How do we motivate the banks to give home equity loans? They are too hesitant! They make their money on interest through taking chances. There will be some who state well look what happened when they took chances, major foreclosures. They stepped too far forward and gave loans for second and third homes to individuals who lost their jobs on a massive scale! We need to protect American jobs! Google Dubai and India and look at their job creation rate over the past 12 years!
I love the world and the many awesome cultures that they present but it has to be "America first and foremost"!! America is made up of all these cultures. Every citizen has its own prefix, Irish American,African American Latin American, Mexican American, Canadian American, and the list goes on for ever to American Indian. Our allegiance is to America, America first and foremost!!
Your posts have nothing to do with this topic!
Unionguy

AOL

#6 Jun 29, 2010
Wayne Nickel takes another walk on another important vote - ward 2 needs to elect a councilor with a pair!
Not Oz

Leominster, MA

#7 Jun 29, 2010
He's about as useless is HR was. No set and couldn't vote against the Mayor. Pathetic.
lost without HR

Leominster, MA

#10 Jun 29, 2010
The City needs the old HR Director back! She was not a mayoral aide, she actually addressed HR issues. She was well respected and did her job!!
Fizbo

Leominster, MA

#11 Jun 29, 2010
lost without HR wrote:
The City needs the old HR Director back! She was not a mayoral aide, she actually addressed HR issues. She was well respected and did her job!!
What became of the old HR director? And isn't the HR director responsible for enforcing
personel issues with the city, including harrassment incidents ?
WONDERING

AOL

#12 Jun 29, 2010
Do you know why he wasnt there?
you are a joke

Westminster, MA

#13 Jun 30, 2010
Lynch for State Senate wrote:
<quoted text>
I tend to disagree as I am running for the State Senate seat currently held by Jennifer Flanagan. Leominster is part of that district. Job creation,grant procurement,schools,police,fir e and city services are of concern to the State Senator who represents this district.
The Senator whom represents Leominster as part of that Senators district should be aware of all the cities and towns needs and concerns. The planning and development office should be busy not stagnant! Nationwide the consensus is that we need jobs, the foreclosures are a sign of unemployment. Every government official should be hard at work creating job opportunities and an atmosphere for improvement.
We all need to get involved!
You are a nutcase. Please keep spouting off and Jen will easily beat you by just doing her job and not saying anything but putting her picture on a few roadside ad signs all over the district.
No no

Leominster, MA

#14 Jun 30, 2010
lost without HR wrote:
You are delusional! Not one person that I know that works for the city respects her!
No no

Leominster, MA

#15 Jun 30, 2010
Nevermind... I read it too quickly and didn't see the 'old' in front of HR Director. I agree, Maribel was a good one.
Interesting

Leominster, MA

#16 Jun 30, 2010
Why isn't the headlining article from today's paper S&E about the Mayor not liking the Council online?
out of control

Lancaster, MA

#17 Jun 30, 2010
Yes Interesting...the headlines for today's paper does say Mayor: This council is "the worst". I fail to see it on the web.

Since: Apr 09

Leominster, MA

#18 Jun 30, 2010
out of control wrote:
Yes Interesting...the headlines for today's paper does say Mayor: This council is "the worst". I fail to see it on the web.
Doesn't surprise me, the S&E has been known to not publish copies of news stories on it's
web site....
Not Oz

Leominster, MA

#19 Jun 30, 2010
Especially ones that get the Mayor being the Pot calling the Kettle black....
out of control

Lancaster, MA

#20 Jun 30, 2010
I hope they follow up todays headlines with more interviews of the city council. I'm sure they have more to say.
For the idiots

Hollis Center, ME

#21 Jul 3, 2010
For all those that bashed Wayne Nickel for NOT being at the council meeting that night!.... YOU IDIOTS! The man was seriously ill and had been in the hospital and unable to attend the meeting! You people think you know everything!
As for the HR position being removed? No city employee can trust an HR director that reports directly to the mayor! The HR director was supposed to handle all internal problems and was supposed to be someone that could be trusted with personal problems. BUT then again, she DID an amazing job with keeping the mayors affairs in order didnt she!
redwing

Leominster, MA

#22 Jul 3, 2010
You would think if a city councillor didn't vote, or wasn't present at the meeting, than this bastion of integrity of a newspaper would publish it as part of the story. Especially if he were ill. Another great reporting job, hoping the new editor would change a few things, apparently they just changed the name on the masthead not the attitude. The big question will be is whose got the balls in Leom to run against this machine? And how dirty can the campaign get. Seems many many insiders know a lot more than is being said in public, and if more of the residents knew, Mr. Mayor would not be long for the job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shirley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Storm bad, but it could've been worse 6 hr sal sulkie 17
Lancaster gets Big Belly trash compactor - Sent... (Jul '10) Jan 28 Tammy 8
Cities, towns savoring fuel savings Jan 28 Tammy 9
Police: Mother-daughter duo stole purse from Fi... Jan 16 cher lindahl 1
Fitchburg man charged with assault Jan 14 Mayor jtn 2
Police nab Gardner bank robbery suspect - Senti... (Feb '08) Jan 10 SILLYSALLY 42
Dan Kirouac live in Townsend, MA Jan 9 New England Music... 1

Shirley News Video

Shirley Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Shirley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:48 am PST