Spending, debt prompt concern in Fran...

Spending, debt prompt concern in Franklin County

There are 58 comments on the Public Opinion story from Nov 6, 2010, titled Spending, debt prompt concern in Franklin County. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

The public is responsible for $9 trillion of U.S.government debt. Pennsylvania faces increased costs of more than $3 billion next year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
JEB

Chambersburg, PA

#1 Nov 7, 2010
Brendan, imagine that a Shippensburg University professor being for more stimulus spending. Maybe you should join the ranks of the retired!
Ignore Dave and Dan

Carlisle, PA

#2 Nov 7, 2010
The majority of professors are Democrats which is why Obama scored so many votes from campuses. Ship' proved the same with their attempt at a selective speech code. Parents beware.
artillery

Blain, PA

#3 Nov 7, 2010
Mr. Hook, it would be more accurate to say that public is “liable” for the $9 trillion of government debt and that the politicians are responsible. Heretofore we have given our elected officials free rein in collecting and spending our tax money, and now we realize, perhaps too late, that they have no idea has to how to stop this runaway horse.

Bill Landis is correct, we're on a path to financial disaster for the country, and change must occur. Hopefully the result of this last election will be a wake-up call for our elected officials. The public is tired of the “spend-then-tax” approach. We (the taxpayers) are broke and the obscene spending binge must stop.

Mr. Landis is also correct in stating,“… both parties are responsible for this mess at all levels of local government…". I agree it is time to stop the blame game and begin insisting that our governing officials, regardless of party affiliation, become fiscally responsible.

With regard to Brendan Finucane’s, weak analogy regarding an unforseen trip to the emergency room, I would suggest that a better approach would be to have made provisions for paying the hospital bill in advance of needing emergency care.

“Stimulus money” will never be a solution to our problems. This sham is nothing more than a shuffling of money where the taxpayer again foots the bill to salve over poor financial policies of the government.

Yes "Apocalyptic thinking has entered the budget process” Mr. Finucane, and justifiably so. The public is finally seeing what the elected officials have been blind to for so long. It is way past time to become fiscally responsible.
Dave

Shippensburg, PA

#4 Nov 7, 2010
Bill Landis is an idiot. The Mercersburg pretend economist likes to complain about spending. Yet I didn't hear a peep during the Bush Administration.

And really Landis, if all politics is local, then its all the Republican's fault because they rule Franklin County buy a wide margin.

And lets not listen to the professor who has a better knowledge of the economy. Nooooo. He must be one of those evil liberals.

The fact is exactly this. If the Republicans cut spending back to 2008 levels,, then the Republicans in the state legislature will have to come up with an additional 4 billion dollars.

The FACT is the Republicans in Congress voted against each & every effort to create jobs in this country.

Every one.

If they think cutting spending creates jobs then they are truly idiots.

They need a seance in California and have Reagan tell hem, to shape up, man up, quit politicking at the expense of our country, and you spend to lessen the effects of a recession & worry about the debt later.
call-em-as-I-see -em

Williamsport, PA

#5 Nov 7, 2010
The fact of the matter is...........this country is in a world of hurt even after two years of promising better. Lets think about that, two years and this economy is getting worse, and worse, need I say worse...... Listen, if someone tells me something, I believe them, unless the facts tell otherwise....
NoNewCourthouse

United States

#6 Nov 7, 2010
REFERENDUM on the Courthouse project - AND NOW.

If the 3 elected Fools who sit in our Commissioner chairs can't see that the American people are mad, irate, upset and just plain PO'd, then they deserve to be tossed from their office come the next election.

Add to that economic pressures, job losses, the disappearance of a strong supportive middle class, and a stangant local economy other than under $15-hour service jobs -it's no wonder there has been a rise of such groups as the Tea Party.

Politics is local - and it's high time our Commissioners stop looking for ways to spend money and instead GROW our County in much more progressive ways.

REFERENDUM - now.
jeepers

Annapolis, MD

#7 Nov 7, 2010
JEB wrote:
Brendan, imagine that a Shippensburg University professor being for more stimulus spending. Maybe you should join the ranks of the retired!
I agree. Perhaps Mr Finucane should retire. I wonder what percentage of consumers out there understand a word that he said? Can anyone translate his philosophy for me, other than more stimulus money?
Section R

Gardners, PA

#9 Nov 7, 2010
What? No one said we had to pay for this, when did this change happen?
Tracy

Spring Grove, PA

#10 Nov 7, 2010
Dave wrote:
Bill Landis is an idiot. The Mercersburg pretend economist likes to complain about spending. Yet I didn't hear a peep during the Bush Administration.
And really Landis, if all politics is local, then its all the Republican's fault because they rule Franklin County buy a wide margin.
And lets not listen to the professor who has a better knowledge of the economy. Nooooo. He must be one of those evil liberals.
The fact is exactly this. If the Republicans cut spending back to 2008 levels,, then the Republicans in the state legislature will have to come up with an additional 4 billion dollars.
The FACT is the Republicans in Congress voted against each & every effort to create jobs in this country.
Every one.
If they think cutting spending creates jobs then they are truly idiots.
They need a seance in California and have Reagan tell hem, to shape up, man up, quit politicking at the expense of our country, and you spend to lessen the effects of a recession & worry about the debt later.
In far too many of his posts, Dave the Liberal puke, calls posters he disagrees with an "Idiot". Dave, the man isn't an idiot or any of the other names you often use about others. You have said your piece and you are in the minority who believes the nation can spend its way out of a deep, enduring recession. By doing so, you demonstrate that you are not a brilliant as you think you are.
For the poeple

Waynesboro, PA

#11 Nov 7, 2010
NoNewCourthouse wrote:
If the 3 elected Fools who sit in our Commissioner chairs can't see that the American people are mad, irate, upset and just plain PO'd, then they deserve to be tossed from their office come the next election.
Add to that economic pressures, job losses, the disappearance of a strong supportive middle class, and a stangant local economy other than under $15-hour service jobs -it's no wonder there has been a rise of such groups as the Tea Party.
Politics is local - and it's high time our Commissioners stop looking for ways to spend money and instead GROW our County in much more progressive ways.
REFERENDUM - now.
I agree with you "No New". We need more poeple like Bill Landis and less like we have in County and State government. I know I'm calling Bill and asking him to run for commissioner. If the people of this county are smart they'll start encouraging people to run for commissioner. It's time we took back our government inatead of letting these self serving people run the show. I'd like to see our state officials take a stand on the courthouse. They have been dancing around the issue saying it is a "local issue". Who do they think they serve? Who do they represent? Our commissioners will just try to evade the issue until after the election then they'll have four years to stick it to us. Call Allan Piper up and stand up for our rights. It's time for my fellow Republicans and concerned Democrats to stand up and be counted.
AGREE

Mercersburg, PA

#12 Nov 7, 2010
NoNewCourthouse wrote:
REFERENDUM - now.
I agree! We need a new court house like we need a snow storm for 24/7 what is wrong with this? The people causing the problems better wake up and realize that their chances of being re-elected are slim to none! This is like a bad dream! A nightmare!
Bill Landis

Mercersburg, PA

#13 Nov 7, 2010
Our universities tell us that we live under a Welfare Capitalism system. It is one term comprised of two words. The Capitalist side of the equation produces all wealth to sustain the Welfare side of the equation. This raises several questions, the first being: What happens to the system when the welfare side consumes more than the Capitalist side produces? I think the answer is quite obvious, we as a society must go to the “credit cards”. This is exactly what has been occurring at all level of government. Most of the “debit” is off Balance Sheet and is not readily apparent (part of the system). The current level of debit is historic. What will happen if the “Credit Card Company” says no more credit? It is getting very close home. The City of Harrisburg is bankrupt!
The second question raised is: What happens to the Welfare Capitalism System when the Welfare side of the equation produces a higher standard of living then the entry level jobs of the Capitalist side? I think the answer is quite obvious and I think this is exactly where we are at.
WE need to get busy!!!!!!!
Citizens For Responsible Government (CRG)
crg@citizensforresponsiblegove rnment.net
Bill Landis email wel911@innernet.net
Mike

Spring Grove, PA

#14 Nov 7, 2010
Ignore Dave and Dan wrote:
The majority of professors are Democrats which is why Obama scored so many votes from campuses. Ship' proved the same with their attempt at a selective speech code. Parents beware.
Earlier this month, one Blyden Potts, a Shippensburg University LIBERAL lost his sillyarse to Rob Kauffman. He sent a LTE to the Public Opinion that made abundantly clear he is a left-leaning Liberal. As for the Liberal professors, we know that despite a nationwide increase in the percentage of high school graduates who immediately enroll in college, the graduation rate at four-year institutions is only 56-percent nationwide.
Reality Check

Chambersburg, PA

#15 Nov 7, 2010
I think that they could start with the government officials taking a PAY CUT! That would surely free up some money. Let THEM live as "middle class" and see how fast they see things OUR way! Eh?
Dave

Shippensburg, PA

#16 Nov 7, 2010
Bill Landis wrote:
Our universities tell us that we live under a Welfare Capitalism system. It is one term comprised of two words. The Capitalist side of the equation produces all wealth to sustain the Welfare side of the equation. This raises several questions, the first being: What happens to the system when the welfare side consumes more than the Capitalist side produces? I think the answer is quite obvious, we as a society must go to the “credit cards”. This is exactly what has been occurring at all level of government. Most of the “debit” is off Balance Sheet and is not readily apparent (part of the system). The current level of debit is historic. What will happen if the “Credit Card Company” says no more credit? It is getting very close home. The City of Harrisburg is bankrupt!
The second question raised is: What happens to the Welfare Capitalism System when the Welfare side of the equation produces a higher standard of living then the entry level jobs of the Capitalist side? I think the answer is quite obvious and I think this is exactly where we are at.
WE need to get busy!!!!!!!
Citizens For Responsible Government (CRG)
crg@citizensforresponsiblegove rnment.net
Bill Landis email wel911@innernet.net
What happens when the "capitalist" side gambles, loses, and nearly kills America, the Capitalist side of the housing industry, creates the worst housing collapse. Tie that into the recession & the capitalist side sends many workers into the Welfare side & then screams the Welfare side is too large.

And really, bill, you say that those on Welfare have a better lifestyle than those working. I wonder, maybe you should try it. Try living on Welfare.

I find it funny that you would say this while your party wants to lower the minimum wage. Hey, you might be right if the right keeps wanting people to make less & less money so the fat cats can pocket more.
AGREE

Mercersburg, PA

#17 Nov 7, 2010
Reality Check wrote:
I think that they could start with the government officials taking a PAY CUT! That would surely free up some money. Let THEM live as "middle class" and see how fast they see things OUR way! Eh?
Agreeeeee! Not much more to add to that!:) I work and I struggle to make ends meet amd it sickens me to be paying for people who dont work! The government is making it much too easy for nonwoekers to get help with food, housing, transportation, heating. What about the working class? Where is our help? I get so upset to go to the grocery store and be behind someone who presents food stamps but has nicer clothes than me and wears a lot of jewelry! I buy store brand names to cut my costs and eat pasta rice and chicken a lot. and I work and just helped to dress someone better that uses foodstamps and buys all that jewelry at my expense! NOT to mention the medical care I paid for so that they could have free hospital and doctor care which just enforced MORE childbirth! Why dont we pay to have them spayded and newtered?
Concern

Newville, PA

#18 Nov 7, 2010
We recently hired a new Governer that took a $300,000. dollar bribe from the GAS industry which he used to tell us to vote for him. He does not wish to tax any gas corporation in Pa. All our surrounding states plan to tax the Marcellus Shale Gas extraction which may help to pay for some of the damage to the environment.
Is this our way of biting the Bullet?
Our Washington Leadership took us into War in the Middle East with borrowed money or(DEBT).
Is Franklin County and Pennsylvania in lock step with our federal government in Biting the Bullet?
Please provide answwers to these questions!!!
DO NOT AGREE

Mercersburg, PA

#19 Nov 7, 2010
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
What happens when the "capitalist" side gambles, loses, and nearly kills America, the Capitalist side of the housing industry, creates the worst housing collapse. Tie that into the recession & the capitalist side sends many workers into the Welfare side & then screams the Welfare side is too large.
And really, bill, you say that those on Welfare have a better lifestyle than those working. I wonder, maybe you should try it. Try living on Welfare.
I find it funny that you would say this while your party wants to lower the minimum wage. Hey, you might be right if the right keeps wanting people to make less & less money so the fat cats can pocket more.
Dave you are a Donkey! You should write in Bill Landis on the ballot next election and you would be a happy person in years to come. We should clone Bill Landis and have him in every state across america! He should actually be sitting in the white house. If he was, you would be a happy person. You need to wake up Dave! You are having a nightmare!
Bill Landis

Mercersburg, PA

#20 Nov 7, 2010
Dave,
Our government (politicians) set up the system which allowed the capitalist side to transfer risk of mortgages to the taxpayer (example: Fannie & Freddy). The capitalist side stole a lot of money doing this. The politicians then bailed out the big companies and re-wrote business law in the process.This is the mortgage crisis and recession. This was wrong and the politicians also made a lot of money in the process. This is not about political parties, both are corrupt. This is about honesty. Also, please understand that all public employees are on the Welfare side of the equation.
Please think about this. Our future is at stake.

AGREE

Mercersburg, PA

#21 Nov 7, 2010
Bill Landis wrote:
Dave,
Our government (politicians) set up the system which allowed the capitalist side to transfer risk of mortgages to the taxpayer (example: Fannie & Freddy). The capitalist side stole a lot of money doing this. The politicians then bailed out the big companies and re-wrote business law in the process.This is the mortgage crisis and recession. This was wrong and the politicians also made a lot of money in the process. This is not about political parties, both are corrupt. This is about honesty. Also, please understand that all public employees are on the Welfare side of the equation.
Please think about this. Our future is at stake.
Amen Bill! Well said! I respect you! AND appreciate you! We need millions more like you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shippensburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GANGS IN FRANKLIN COUNTY? After arrests of Bloo... (Aug '10) Jan '18 Jup 105
News Trick-or-treat nights scheduled this year (Oct '09) Jan '18 Buster 54
News Man shot at Gettysburg rally aims to replacea Jan '18 Allah licks pig s... 6
Pot (Apr '17) Jan '18 Mimallah 3
News Shippensburg man faces 11th underage drinking c... (Nov '10) Dec '17 Susie17252 58
News 70 volunteers reveal Scotland's view of the creek Oct '17 Stooley McStoolerson 3
News Cider fest returns to Gettysburg (May '17) Aug '17 Costard 10

Shippensburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shippensburg Mortgages