Pennsylvania girl, 10, charged with murder in death of baby

Full story: The York Daily Record

A 10-year-old central Pennsylvania girl who allegedly caused a baby's death by violently shaking him and throwing him into a crib was charged with third-degree murder.
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Mar 1, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
john doe 000069

York, PA

#1 May 1, 2011
The girl should uncharge herself. Rotten pigs charging a 10 year old. Where was the adult at? You don't let a child watch an infant.
Caring

Manchester, PA

#2 May 1, 2011
john doe 000069 wrote:
The girl should uncharge herself. Rotten pigs charging a 10 year old. Where was the adult at? You don't let a child watch an infant.
Did you read the article? There was an adult caring for BOTH children and she too was charged (unfortunately with lesser charges), and she obviously failed to keep a watchful eye on the children. Call the authorities any names you wish, but by the age of 9 you should know the difference between right and wrong when it comes to inflicting physical harm on to others. I know the charges seem harsh, but what do you do...pat the (now 10 year old) on the head and say it's alright...was just a bad day for you so go out in the yard and play - when an 11 month old is dead?
Traveler

York, PA

#4 May 1, 2011
Tragic story. The 9, now 10 year old girl's life will never be normal. She knows she killed a baby. That fact will live with her forever. You can't erase that memory from her brain.

Years of therapy may not work...
john

York, PA

#5 May 1, 2011
there is no end to the arrests. to young to do anything. move on.
James

Wilmington, DE

#6 May 1, 2011
Very sad story, but the saddest part is our justice system. Kids are shooting people left and right and in the majority of cases they are "too young to charge with murder". This girl does an unthinkable act, but consider the situation. It appears she was left alone with the baby. It says the baby sitter was "supposed" to be caring for both. So who knows, maybe she got frustrated and just wanted the baby to stop crying. I know, I know, trust me its horrible and I have 3 kids and have never nor would I ever think about it. But for a 10 year old, frustration probably set in. Its a shame to see the baby die like this, but the charges should be lessesned significantly, and the baby sitter should be charged with the murder.
dont blink

York, PA

#7 May 1, 2011
This is where most serial killers get their start. In 8 years she'll be free again to kill; probably moving on to adult victims.
Wow

Dover, PA

#8 May 1, 2011
Yeah right the so-called sitter probably did it and scared the girl into taking the blame.
She Killed A Cop

Dillsburg, PA

#9 May 1, 2011
Do u really think a 9 year old girl knew "shaking a baby could KIL ?"
I was jumping rope and playing with doll babies at that age but no one told me "shaking could KILL"
This was a tragic ACCIDENT.
Keeping It Real

Dillsburg, PA

#10 May 1, 2011
Tragic Accident .... Not.... Intentional Murder.
She is 10 years old. I have to agree. The babysitter should be charged. The baby was not attended to by LAW (under the age of 12).
SMD2011

Hanover, PA

#11 May 1, 2011
Apparently she has some type of anger issue, most 11 month olds are about 20lbs for her to just shake him and then throw him into a crib. I don't think she knew she would kill him, but by that age she should have been taught not to throw a baby (I am assuming they had both been at the daycare for awhile).
Eightyeight

New York, NY

#12 May 1, 2011
Traveler wrote:
Tragic story. The 9, now 10 year old girl's life will never be normal. She knows she killed a baby. That fact will live with her forever. You can't erase that memory from her brain.

Years of therapy may not work...
When young kids enter the juvenile detention system they are never the same. They are quickly robbed of their innocence and forced to be raised by often corrupt supervision. My comments are based on experiences with people who have been there.
In my opinion, a normal 9 year-old girl is nurturing. They wouldn't even consider harming a baby. I've seen kids abuse doll babies, but they are aware that there's no actual harm. I bet a real psych eval would uncover frightening results.
Jail

York, PA

#13 May 2, 2011
Not an accident. Children know what they are doing from about the age of 5. she may not fully understand the consequences but she will learn while she is in jail. Im sorry you cannot just let this go because she is young. This happens everyday, the people that are suppose to be teaching them right from wrong are the ones also using them to do their dirty work. Everyone knows its hard to convict a minor and all these gangsters use that to their advantage. sending these kids out to do their dirty work knowing they wont get in much trouble. Set and example and stand by it. Simple as that, age is only a number. I know this is a different situation but the standard must be set regardless.
Just me

York, PA

#14 May 2, 2011
Keeping It Real wrote:
Tragic Accident .... Not.... Intentional Murder.
She is 10 years old. I have to agree. The babysitter should be charged. The baby was not attended to by LAW (under the age of 12).
Actually.....state of PA doesn't actually have a "law" for an age of a child to be left alone for a shorten period of time. As a mother, if I knew that my kid had thrown her sibling or any other infant child into a crib...I would definately be getting the infant checked out. It's a shame that this happened and its a shame this little girl will have to go through what she will be going through while the babystitter basically gets a slap on the wrist.
Curious George

York, PA

#15 May 2, 2011
john doe 000069 wrote:
I can't wait until it comes out who you are....like everything else, it's just a matter of time!
George

Washington, DC

#16 May 2, 2011
john doe 000069 wrote:
How would you know what a parent should and shouldnt do???
anonymous

Billings, MT

#17 May 2, 2011
Not too young to be a sociopath. Sociopaths don't feel empathy or remorse.
Watch Out

New Oxford, PA

#18 May 2, 2011
She Killed A Cop wrote:
Do u really think a 9 year old girl knew "shaking a baby could KIL ?"
I was jumping rope and playing with doll babies at that age but no one told me "shaking could KILL"
This was a tragic ACCIDENT.
Of course a nine year old knows that. I was nine when my sister was born. I helped take care of her on many occasions. I was told over and over again how to handle a baby, that she was tender and fragile and needed something if she was crying. I was taught to pin her diapers on very carefully so as not to hurt her with the pins. I never hurt my sister once and knew full well that I should never do anything like that because it could harm her. Any nine year old that is around babies knows what is right and what isn't.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#19 May 2, 2011
How do they know she doesnt have a mental condition? I read nothing about them doing a evaluation, If she doesnt have a history apparently somethings not right for her to do that! Its just seems like she needs help, and i hope the authorities n her parnets get it for her.
just me

York, PA

#20 May 2, 2011
r u kiddding me!!!!!! The adult should have gotten immediate medical attention fot this poor infant.A 10 year does not know the severity of shaking a baby.They are kids and kids need to learn from adults, they should have never been able to keep an eye on an infant without the adult in the room. This is why kids shouldnt have kids and kids shouldnt watch kids.
Caring wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the article? There was an adult caring for BOTH children and she too was charged (unfortunately with lesser charges), and she obviously failed to keep a watchful eye on the children. Call the authorities any names you wish, but by the age of 9 you should know the difference between right and wrong when it comes to inflicting physical harm on to others. I know the charges seem harsh, but what do you do...pat the (now 10 year old) on the head and say it's alright...was just a bad day for you so go out in the yard and play - when an 11 month old is dead?
CommonSense

York, PA

#21 May 2, 2011
This is why I wouldn't let my 13 yr old daughter watch a younger cousin. A 13 yr old's experience is limited and it only 1 issue/injury to cause long term effects. As a parent, it's too much risk to take the chance. Maybe, if the baby would have had immediate medical attention, maybe this little baby and young child would have had a chance? Very, very sad for everyone involved!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shippensburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 3 hr Mr Johnson 3,933
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 3 hr Yoda 51,313
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) 8 hr EDDIE SWINDELL 161
Expectant Price family moves from Mont Alto to ... (Mar '09) Aug 20 Kari Price 19
vince martz Jul '14 martz families 1
Local Ukrainian woman reacts to news of doomed ... Jul '14 lady 1
Police: Two arrested after more than 60 injurie... (Mar '13) Jul '14 Steve Gratman 49
•••
•••
•••

Shippensburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Shippensburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Shippensburg News, Events & Info