Changes Proposed For Pa.'s Beer Law

Full story: WFMZ 155
A Pennsylvania lawmaker is proposing sweeping changes to the state's beer law. Sen. John Rafferty of Montgomery County said today that he will try again to loosen the law and allow six-pack sales at beer distributors, groceries and conveniences stores. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Lloyd Johnson

Ridgway, PA

#1 Jun 30, 2010
We already have positions taken to "crack down" on underage drinking. It's called the PLCB,
I've been in business for 17 years and they do their job very well. More agents, more expenses for PA and the new stores. What inconvenience's are there ? My customers have no problem getting to my establishment or any other in our town and the Distributor's still deliver. Greater choices ?
I have 137 buttons on my cash register. How many more "options" does one need ?
I sound a little bitter because I stand to lose 2 families, 7 part timers and go Bankrupt in one
swipe of a pen because "bigger stores with bigger money" stand to wipe out the small guy and
don't think for a minute' maintaining all existing licenses' is going to last. You can twist the
words anyway you want to but it is all about greed. Period
Nobama

Allentown, PA

#2 Jul 1, 2010
Sell liquor, wine, and beer in supermarkets like many other states.

End of story.

Many beer distributorships are rat-infested garages, run by don't-give-a-damn old fools, where I would never consider buying a food product...

So, I buy out-of-state whenever possible....
Nobama

Allentown, PA

#3 Jul 1, 2010
Lloyd Johnson wrote:
We already have positions taken to "crack down" on underage drinking. It's called the PLCB,
I've been in business for 17 years and they do their job very well. More agents, more expenses for PA and the new stores. What inconvenience's are there ? My customers have no problem getting to my establishment or any other in our town and the Distributor's still deliver. Greater choices ?
I have 137 buttons on my cash register. How many more "options" does one need ?
I sound a little bitter because I stand to lose 2 families, 7 part timers and go Bankrupt in one
swipe of a pen because "bigger stores with bigger money" stand to wipe out the small guy and
don't think for a minute' maintaining all existing licenses' is going to last. You can twist the
words anyway you want to but it is all about greed. Period
Lots of folks are occasional beer drinkers and a case is far too much beer for them to buy at one time. And most women are reluctant to go to a tavern by themselves to buy a six-pack, not to mention the inflated price and the inconvenience of making an unnecessary extra stop. So what's the problem with selling beer in supermarkets, other than breaking your monopoly.

The heavy-duty beer guzzlers and those who want home delivery are free to continue patronizing your establishment.
true dat

York, PA

#4 Jul 1, 2010
Why is there a need to sell alcohol everywhere now?Considering the markup on soft drinks and snacks at convenience stores,you will pay more for the convenience.You can pay more,I will still patronize my local bar where I can carry a 6pack out in under 2 minutes,no waiting in line...
BOG

Spring Grove, PA

#5 Jul 2, 2010
I'm told that minors are not allowed to even enter a self sevice tobbaco store even with a parent. I'm OK with that. How about extending the same law to stores that self serve alcohol.
Arizona

Reading, PA

#6 Jul 2, 2010
How about just leaving the alcohol to bars and beer distributors? Putting it everywhere just gives people the ability to drink more and minors more opportunity to be able to get their hands on it.
MyronB

Bronx, NY

#7 Jul 2, 2010
Health overhaul may mean longer ER waits, crowding
Share Email Print AP Carla K. Johnson, Ap Medical Writer 1 hr 37 mins ago
CHICAGO Emergency rooms, the only choice for patients who can't find care elsewhere, may grow even more crowded with longer wait times under the nation's

new health law.

That might come as a surprise to those who thought getting 32 million more people covered by

health insurance would ease ER crowding. It would seem these patients would be able to get routine health care by visiting a doctor's office, as most of the insured do.

But it's not that simple. Consider:

_There's already a shortage of front-line family physicians in some places and experts think that will get worse.

_People without

insurance aren't the ones filling up the nation's emergency rooms. Far from it. The uninsured are no more likely to use ERs than people with private insurance, perhaps because they're wary of huge bills.

_The biggest users of emergency rooms by far are Medicaid recipients. And the

new health insurance law will increase their ranks by about 16 million. Medicaid is the state and federal program for low-income families and the disabled. And many family doctors limit the number of Medicaid patients they take because of low government reimbursements.

_ERs are already crowded
true dat

York, PA

#8 Jul 2, 2010
Arizona wrote:
How about just leaving the alcohol to bars and beer distributors? Putting it everywhere just gives people the ability to drink more and minors more opportunity to be able to get their hands on it.
In case you didn't know,minors can and do get their hands on it more than you know.
WhyBother

Nescopeck, PA

#9 Jul 2, 2010
I get minors beer for them a couple times a week...........make some good money too.....if it's not me, then someone else will make a buck...glad to help them out
julie

Reading, PA

#10 Jul 2, 2010
Keep the beer out of super markets. Yes, minors will find it no matter what, but why put it in supermarkets. This would keep 16 year olds from being able to work in the supermarkets that sell beers, wouldn't it? Does anyone know? Those are some of the only jobs teens that young can get.
true dat

York, PA

#13 Jul 2, 2010
Myron,put down the pipe,this is not a healthcare article.Go spew your filth somewhere else.
true dat

York, PA

#14 Jul 2, 2010
Arizona wrote:
<quoted text>
No sh it di ck weed. This would only allow them to get their hands on it much easier. Why is it most of you idiots can't read?
Yep,it will make it easier with all of the security cameras and cashiers that actually card people.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#15 Jul 2, 2010
julie wrote:
Keep the beer out of super markets. Yes, minors will find it no matter what, but why put it in supermarkets. This would keep 16 year olds from being able to work in the supermarkets that sell beers, wouldn't it? Does anyone know? Those are some of the only jobs teens that young can get.
That's a good point, I'm not sure if that would be the case or not.

However, I do have to say that I am in favor of beer in super markets. Pennsylvania laws are so 1950s...they need to more like Maryland.
Tip

Palm Bay, FL

#16 Jul 2, 2010
julie wrote:
No, it will not stop 16 year olds from working in the stores. They will not be able to check out an individual purchasing beer/wine.. They will have a Manager or Asst Manager verify age and checkout the purchase.
Arizona

Reading, PA

#17 Jul 2, 2010
true dat wrote:
<quoted text>Yep,it will make it easier with all of the security cameras and cashiers that actually card people.
If you think half the losers at the convenience stores are going to card, you are just as stupid as I thought. Cameras can't tell a persons age, and some idiot behind the cash register that doesn't give a sh it isn't going to stop it either. Again, this is a mistake.
Tip

Palm Bay, FL

#18 Jul 2, 2010
Arizona wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think half the losers at the convenience stores are going to card, you are just as stupid as I thought. Cameras can't tell a persons age, and some idiot behind the cash register that doesn't give a sh it isn't going to stop it either. Again, this is a mistake.
The individual working the cash register will check age because if they don't and sell to underage they will be arrested.
By the way the only "idiot" in your Post is you.
Arizona

Reading, PA

#19 Jul 2, 2010
Tip wrote:
<quoted text>The individual working the cash register will check age because if they don't and sell to underage they will be arrested.
By the way the only "idiot" in your Post is you.
If you think that everyone is that honest, you have another thing coming. You being and idiot, think that everyone behind the register is going to check ID. Even if they do check, fake ID's are out there.

This is about making it more available. This just makes it easier for people to get it. You miss the point, not surprising, you are probably drunk right now.
FED

Palm Bay, FL

#20 Jul 2, 2010
Arizona wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think that everyone is that honest, you have another thing coming. You being and idiot, think that everyone behind the register is going to check ID. Even if they do check, fake ID's are out there.
This is about making it more available. This just makes it easier for people to get it. You miss the point, not surprising, you are probably drunk right now.
Nope, don't drink alcohol. Your just a negative nut.
Arizona

Reading, PA

#21 Jul 2, 2010
FED wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, don't drink alcohol. Your just a negative nut.
Not negative at all. Just that I realize giving more opportunity for people to gain access to beer is going to cause problems. You can't capture that, sorry about your ignorance.
FED

Palm Bay, FL

#22 Jul 2, 2010
Arizona wrote:
<quoted text>
Not negative at all. Just that I realize giving more opportunity for people to gain access to beer is going to cause problems. You can't capture that, sorry about your ignorance.
That is your opinion and you are entitled to express it. Have a good Holiday!
Just for your info, I didn't mean to change names from my original Post, however my PC reflects Tip and my business Laptop reflects FED.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shillington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 2 hr Arch Bishop Bobby 51,499
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Fri Just Saying 3,999
F@ke Passport forums Sep 18 Titian Amps 2
WWW . johnkenneyislegit.boards . net Sep 18 RomanAtWood 2
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) Sep 15 Jeremy 183
Reading Rises On List Of Most Dangerous Cities (Nov '09) Sep 10 silly rabbit 14
Pennsylvania scores 19th in US obesity rankings Sep 7 silly rabbit 1
•••
•••
•••

Shillington Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Shillington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••