Accident ties up I-81 near Shippensburg

There are 28 comments on the Public Opinion story from Jan 30, 2008, titled Accident ties up I-81 near Shippensburg. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Northbound Interstate 81 in Southhampton Township, Cumberland County, was closed for six hours as crews untangled five tractor trailers that crashed at 11:50 p.m. Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ellis

South Plainfield, NJ

#21 Jan 30, 2008
My 2 cents wrote:
How many of you have actually driven a Tractor and trailer. First of all they do not stop on a dime, second maybe if some of the cars would realize this there would not be so many accidents. Cars constantly pull out in front of tractor and trailers all the time, thinking that it will be okay, this in turn causes some accidents. Another thing that factors into it is whether or not the truck is carrying a load. If everyone would just slow down a little and use some comon sense the roads would be a little bit safer to drive on. I travel 81, 581 & 83 everyday back on forth to work, I see so many accidents that could have been avoided if people would just use common sense. Do not blame the truck driver it is not always his fault, be he sure is the one who always gets blame.
Truckers also need to realize they do not stop on a dime. duh!
ellis

South Plainfield, NJ

#22 Jan 30, 2008
Thank Goodness wrote:
By drafting they can increase their gas mileage by 40%. It is usally the cars that cause the accidents.
A car may have caused the first trucker to crash, but the other four likely have no one to blame but themselves. I hope it was worth the 40% savings!
Bill

Mount Bethel, PA

#23 Jan 30, 2008
Why is everyone so quick to point the finger.The comment about drafting was only one persons speculation. Every person on the road needs to slow down. car aswell as trucks. True trucks can't stop on a dime and what makes it worse is when a truck leaves room in front of them a car shoots in and takes that space reducing the stopping distance. On the other hand there are truck drivers that just don't care and they'll cut a car off with out thinking twice. The only way to solve it is worry about what you do and your own conduct. if we all do this there should be a lot less accidents. Remember be safe to all.
Get the Facts

Philadelphia, PA

#24 Jan 30, 2008
For all the idiots out there, Get your facts before you open your mouth....according to one web site, 75% of truck accidents were caused NOT BY THE TRUCK DRIVER, but by a smaller vehicle.(I think that means a car or suv for those of you that are a little slow). According to another web site, only 9% of the accidents reported were involving commercial vehicles (um, that would be trucks) and of that 9%, 80% were caused by cars. As all of you are sitting on your couch or at your desk, typing on your computer, just stop for a second. Look around your house and think of all those trucks that shipped all your crap in order for you to go to your local store and buy it. How much would it suck if you had to drive your car across the country to the warehouse, strap that couch to the roof and try to get it home. Oh, wait a sec, you wouldn't have a home because it's made out of wood, which comes from trees which grow in the woods. How do you think they get to Lowes?? Trucks?!?!?!
2 cents

Montclair, NJ

#25 Jan 30, 2008
No need to attack each other...start looking for options.
1. Put the cell phones away-just one boring ride so safety is thought of or given attention.

2. Polish the old and build new RR tracks--fire up those trains once again. We can wait a little longer for products. Allow only fresh produce and healthy food products to be shipped via trucking.

3. Legislate auto/truck engineers to only allow it permissible to build engines that have a maximum speed capability-50-55mph.

4. Who is really caring about safety and human life out here in this world? Why is this monster of maddness driving activity as such? GREED

Since: Dec 07

Wilmington, DE

#26 Jan 30, 2008
2 cents wrote:
No need to attack each other...start looking for options.

3. Legislate auto/truck engineers to only allow it permissible to build engines that have a maximum speed capability-50-55mph.
this is a big one for safety and for global warming. people say they want to do their part to reduce our use of oil and production of CO2, but they can't even muster the will to take an extra few minutes on the road to save a very real amount of carbon based fuels.
Friend

Fredericktown, OH

#28 Jan 31, 2008
I do not travel 81....you have to be a professional race car driver and take the challenge! Whatever happened to the speed limit and policing our highways. Life passes much too quickly without teasing death. So many people with so little time.....SLOW DOWN.
Cheryl

Chambersburg, PA

#29 Sep 3, 2013
Regardless of what they are delivering or how many hours they drive the majority of tractor trailer drivers FLY on I 81 weaving in and out of lanes. Just the other day my daughter, myself and my three grandsons were cut off by a tractor trailer and my daughter had to veer into the median.

They are far too aggressive.

I think it is pretty bad when my 5 year old grandson looks up at the driver and says "hey mommy he's on his cell phone."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shermans Dale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Gay Marriage - Carlisle, PA (Jul '10) 3 hr Steve 33
News Freezing rain creates dangerous road conditions May 3 Hobo Jim 33
News Silver Spring Township Planning Commission forw... Apr 30 anonymous 1
Carlisle students get to work from home with di... Apr 9 The Man 2
Review: Platinum Preowned LLC (Apr '14) Feb '15 kasey 4
Review: Joy's Barber Shop (Jul '14) Jul '14 SAR 1
News Two People Arrested In 2003 Murder (Jun '06) Jun '14 Deborah contrillo 3
More from around the web

Shermans Dale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE