Accident ties up I-81 near Shippensburg

Accident ties up I-81 near Shippensburg

There are 28 comments on the Public Opinion story from Jan 30, 2008, titled Accident ties up I-81 near Shippensburg. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Northbound Interstate 81 in Southhampton Township, Cumberland County, was closed for six hours as crews untangled five tractor trailers that crashed at 11:50 p.m. Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
V for Vendetta

Hagerstown, MD

#1 Jan 30, 2008
Shocker! A tractor trailer accident on I81!
jlw

Mechanicsburg, PA

#2 Jan 30, 2008
I know this happens frequently, but have some heart! Consider the feelings on those who were in the accident!

“ONE LOVE...ONE HORSE”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#3 Jan 30, 2008
Anyone else starting to see a trend?
ellis

Annapolis, MD

#4 Jan 30, 2008
jlw wrote:
I know this happens frequently, but have some heart! Consider the feelings on those who were in the accident!
It's hard to feel sorry for truck drivers who continually tailgate. The first driver probably deserves some sympathy. Could have been the wind, whatever. There is a 99.9% chance the other four were just following to close and probably at too high of a rate of speed.

“ONE LOVE...ONE HORSE”

Location hidden

#5 Jan 30, 2008
ellis wrote:
<quoted text>
It's hard to feel sorry for truck drivers who continually tailgate. The first driver probably deserves some sympathy. Could have been the wind, whatever. There is a 99.9% chance the other four were just following to close and probably at too high of a rate of speed.
I believe this is called "drafting"
Oh ME2

Reading, PA

#6 Jan 30, 2008
V for Vendetta wrote:
Shocker! A tractor trailer accident on I81!
I KNOW and him was one of them thar Pro-fessional truck drivers !!

Who'da thunk it !!!???
anononononon

Waynesboro, PA

#7 Jan 30, 2008
it is incredibly stupid, especially for truck drivers to tailgate, or draft, or whatever you want to call it though

Since: Jan 08

Hagerstown, MD

#8 Jan 30, 2008
jlw wrote:
Please tell me you are not serious. There are far too many tractor trailers on I81. But that is what we get for having nothing but warehouses from the WVA line north through Harrisburg.

Note to ALL drivers, just slow down and hang up the cell phone.
chipper

Harrisburg, PA

#9 Jan 30, 2008
I drive 81 5 days a week, to and from work. There are an enormous amount of trucks. One thing I have learned is to show them respect. You will get respect in return. I have more problems with all of the cars on 81. They need to slow down and stop trying to push everyone else out of the way. I have noticed that in the area of the accident the crosswinds are horrible. Penndot needs to look into solving this problem. There have been times during high winds that my car is pushed near the edge of the median.

“ONE LOVE...ONE HORSE”

Location hidden

#10 Jan 30, 2008
I just never ever go on that road unless I have to - just a few times a year...freakin crazy people out there...!
think before you speak

New Paris, OH

#11 Jan 30, 2008
I don't know if you realize this or not but them there profesional truck drivers deliver your every want and need to grocery stores, resturants, and any other place, and God knows you couldn't survive without them. If you slowed them all down you would be ticked when starbucks was out of your low fat mocha choca latte or whatever. Quit being and idiot and think about what they do for you! And V, where are all the warehouses supposed to go? Just wondering if you are willing to foot the bill to truck loads 40 mi. to an interstate instead of 1 mi. to the next on ramp? Lets think a little bit people
Thank Goodness

Bedford, PA

#12 Jan 30, 2008
By drafting they can increase their gas mileage by 40%. It is usally the cars that cause the accidents.
think before you speak

New Paris, OH

#13 Jan 30, 2008
Those trucks get great gas mileage as a matter of fact, they dont use any.
And I hope you are talking about a truck drafting another truck and being within inches of the front rucks bumper. Otherwise, NO WAY
think before you speak

New Paris, OH

#14 Jan 30, 2008
*truck's

Since: Jan 08

Hagerstown, MD

#15 Jan 30, 2008
think before you speak wrote:
I don't know if you realize this or not but them there profesional truck drivers deliver your every want and need to grocery stores, resturants, and any other place, and God knows you couldn't survive without them. If you slowed them all down you would be ticked when starbucks was out of your low fat mocha choca latte or whatever. Quit being and idiot and think about what they do for you! And V, where are all the warehouses supposed to go? Just wondering if you are willing to foot the bill to truck loads 40 mi. to an interstate instead of 1 mi. to the next on ramp? Lets think a little bit people
Give that old argument a rest. Nobody has mentioned anything to the contrary. But keep this mind, truckers do not own the road, although you have to admit the majority of them act like they do. They must share the road with us little 'four wheelers'. Just slow down, put down the cell phone, and be a curtious driver. Yes, it's that simple.
think before you speak

New Paris, OH

#16 Jan 30, 2008
No... I WANT THE LAST WORD
My 2 cents

Southampton, PA

#17 Jan 30, 2008
How many of you have actually driven a Tractor and trailer. First of all they do not stop on a dime, second maybe if some of the cars would realize this there would not be so many accidents. Cars constantly pull out in front of tractor and trailers all the time, thinking that it will be okay, this in turn causes some accidents. Another thing that factors into it is whether or not the truck is carrying a load. If everyone would just slow down a little and use some comon sense the roads would be a little bit safer to drive on. I travel 81, 581 & 83 everyday back on forth to work, I see so many accidents that could have been avoided if people would just use common sense. Do not blame the truck driver it is not always his fault, be he sure is the one who always gets blame.
just sayin

Bloomington, IN

#18 Jan 30, 2008
You are sooo right "my 2 cents": I also travel I-81 every day and the people in the four wheelers are the dangerous ones 9 out 10 times and are on the cell phone or playing with their sound system or what have you.
ellis

Plainfield, NJ

#19 Jan 30, 2008
think before you speak wrote:
What's this have to do with driving dangerously. Yeah, let's think a little bit.
No Name Brand

Sicklerville, NJ

#20 Jan 30, 2008
chipper wrote:
I drive 81 5 days a week, to and from work. There are an enormous amount of trucks. One thing I have learned is to show them respect. You will get respect in return. I have more problems with all of the cars on 81. They need to slow down and stop trying to push everyone else out of the way.
Well said, I've traveled 81 for 20 years and the 4 wheelers have gotten more and more aggressive. I wonder how the truck drivers keep from running some of the idiots over as they fly up onto the highway without looking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shermans Dale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Remains Dec '16 Sammy 4
News PA Turnpike considers going cashless (Jul '12) Nov '16 Craig 3
Mary jane. (Jul '16) Sep '16 adam15 5
News Police blotter (Jan '09) Aug '16 mister d 2
Crossdressers (Feb '16) Apr '16 TruckerD 4
News Carlisle woman jailed on defiant trespass charge (Feb '16) Mar '16 Hillary Bengazi 2
Review: Joy's Barber Shop (Jul '14) Jul '14 SAR 1

Shermans Dale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shermans Dale Mortgages