Hostage Situation Ends: 1 dead

Full story: WREG 28
Union County, MS - FAST FACTS: David Cox bursts into wife's home Friday according to police Shoots, kills wife, holds kids hostage 20 hours Cox arrested, charged with kidnapping, murder dennis.turner@wreg.com A Pontotoc County man is in jail tonight charged in a strange kidnapping and murder case. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Van

Memphis, TN

#1 May 17, 2010
This is a very sad situation. I am really surprised there are no "ugly" posting. Oh, my bad, they are not black or from Memphis. This allegedly happens only in Memphis and by black people.
MSTN

Memphis, TN

#2 May 17, 2010
I guess all that killing and doing drugs and holding his kids hostage, made him thirsty, it takes a lot to kick in a door and shoot your ex-wife and hold your kids hostage. Can you join in with me and say STUPID. Well they can't blame that on the blacks............
sly

Memphis, TN

#3 May 17, 2010
now I know you are not accusing the MEDIA of selective reporting. Black never ever kill their ex wives and hold anyone hostage.
michelle

Horn Lake, MS

#4 May 17, 2010
If she'd been calling the police all day Friday, I wonder why they weren't at least patrolling the area? It said that he drove back and forth in front of her house for hours before finally barging in?? They should've arrested him before it ever got that far...even if it was a public street he was driving on. He'd already made death threats...and had just gotten out of jail! They would have discovered the meth lab in the vehicle and arrested him if they'd only taken the time to intercept him before he was able to commit this heinous crime. I don't mean that any of this is the fault of the local law enforcement...only, it just sounds fishy that no one even bothered to come check on the situation since kids were there and she was telling them that he was threatening to kill her....?
Tex Mex

San Antonio, TX

#5 May 17, 2010
Van wrote:
This is a very sad situation. I am really surprised there are no "ugly" posting. Oh, my bad, they are not black or from Memphis. This allegedly happens only in Memphis and by black people.
No big deal but you are obviously not aware of the amount of crime, in relation to their population, that blacks are responsible for in your area and across the country. You should check it out. I think you will be shocked.
problem diagnosis

Chicago, IL

#6 May 17, 2010
Van wrote:
This is a very sad situation. I am really surprised there are no "ugly" posting. Oh, my bad, they are not black or from Memphis. This allegedly happens only in Memphis and by black people.
White people commit murder. Just at a rate nine times lower than blacks that leads to the "ugly" comments that offend you.
Prayer needed

United States

#7 May 17, 2010
Please continue to pray for this family.
mlw

Memphis, TN

#8 May 18, 2010
sad situation - why weren't the cops taking this guy seriously? desperate people do desperate things! add the meth madness and that's a disaster waiting to happen.
Kelly

Covington, TN

#9 May 18, 2010
Once again a husband kills his wife and police do NOTHING to prevent it from happening!! A close friend nearly lost her life the same way. She was told by police there was nothing they could do until her husband physically touched her although she also had been threatened. When will law enforcement actually "serve and protect" its law abiding citizens instead of known criminals??
Kimmi

Dyersburg, TN

#10 May 18, 2010
michelle wrote:
If she'd been calling the police all day Friday, I wonder why they weren't at least patrolling the area? It said that he drove back and forth in front of her house for hours before finally barging in?? They should've arrested him before it ever got that far...even if it was a public street he was driving on. He'd already made death threats...and had just gotten out of jail! They would have discovered the meth lab in the vehicle and arrested him if they'd only taken the time to intercept him before he was able to commit this heinous crime. I don't mean that any of this is the fault of the local law enforcement...only, it just sounds fishy that no one even bothered to come check on the situation since kids were there and she was telling them that he was threatening to kill her....?
On the contrary I think the law enforcement should be held responsible to a degree and there should be some action taken toward them wither it be lost of jobs, demotion, fines if not all of them and more. I mean come on she has been calling everyday since he got out that he was going to kill her. Then the day it happened he had been driving up and down the street for several hours!! To me it don't sound fishy it sounds like they just weren't doing their jobs. Therefore they are partly responsible because they didn't respond to the call.
Latasha

Memphis, TN

#11 May 18, 2010
Those poor kids, scared to death of their father and having to watch their mother die. They will be so traumatized by this.
Latasha

Memphis, TN

#12 May 18, 2010
michelle wrote:
If she'd been calling the police all day Friday, I wonder why they weren't at least patrolling the area? It said that he drove back and forth in front of her house for hours before finally barging in?? They should've arrested him before it ever got that far...even if it was a public street he was driving on. He'd already made death threats...and had just gotten out of jail! They would have discovered the meth lab in the vehicle and arrested him if they'd only taken the time to intercept him before he was able to commit this heinous crime. I don't mean that any of this is the fault of the local law enforcement...only, it just sounds fishy that no one even bothered to come check on the situation since kids were there and she was telling them that he was threatening to kill her....?
It said that she had been calling every day since he got out of jail too. They probably did not take her seriously. Bet they wish they had now.
Kimmi

Dyersburg, TN

#13 May 18, 2010
I do hope the kids can move passed this. I know it is not going to be easy. I still haven't got passed child abuse and I am in my thirties which seems small right now hearing what they witnessed. So a lot of prayer is needed.
Maggie

Memphis, TN

#14 May 18, 2010
Kelly wrote:
Once again a husband kills his wife and police do NOTHING to prevent it from happening!! A close friend nearly lost her life the same way. She was told by police there was nothing they could do until her husband physically touched her although she also had been threatened. When will law enforcement actually "serve and protect" its law abiding citizens instead of known criminals??
What can the police do? Their hands are tied. They can't arrest people based only on threats. Half the city would be locked up. If she were that scared, maybe she should have been sitting there waiting for him with a gun in her hand. As soon as that door came down........
H Roach

Indianola, MS

#15 May 18, 2010
Maggie wrote:
<quoted text>What can the police do? Their hands are tied. They can't arrest people based only on threats. Half the city would be locked up. If she were that scared, maybe she should have been sitting there waiting for him with a gun in her hand. As soon as that door came down........
On the contrary, terroristic threatining is a crime, and a person can be arrested for it, tried, and placed in prison if found guilty. I worked for the dept. of correction's in Arkansas for 7 yrs. and have seen several inmate's locked up for this. And before you ask no they didnot have other charge's, just the terroristic threatening.
concerned

Tupelo, MS

#16 May 18, 2010
The house wasn't in the city limits of Sherman. The Sherman police had no jurisdiction where she lived.
Maggie

Memphis, TN

#17 May 18, 2010
H Roach wrote:
<quoted text>On the contrary, terroristic threatining is a crime, and a person can be arrested for it, tried, and placed in prison if found guilty. I worked for the dept. of correction's in Arkansas for 7 yrs. and have seen several inmate's locked up for this. And before you ask no they didnot have other charge's, just the terroristic threatening.
A terrorist threat is much different than a husband threatening a wife (or visa-versa)
H Roach

Indianola, MS

#18 May 18, 2010
Maggie wrote:
<quoted text>A terrorist threat is much different than a husband threatening a wife (or visa-versa)
Not terrorist threat, as in Taliban or al qaida, but terrorISTIC threatening, as in I will kill you and anyone else, or just threatening to beat you up, run over your cat. Add the ic at the end of terrorist. Ask a cop about terroristic threatening.
Steve

Olive Branch, MS

#19 May 18, 2010
H Roach wrote:
<quoted text>On the contrary, terroristic threatining is a crime, and a person can be arrested for it, tried, and placed in prison if found guilty. I worked for the dept. of correction's in Arkansas for 7 yrs. and have seen several inmate's locked up for this. And before you ask no they didnot have other charge's, just the terroristic threatening.
That all depends on what the legal definition of 'terroristic threatening' is. I seriously doubt that a husband threatening his wife is considered 'terroristic'.
Maggie

Olive Branch, MS

#20 May 18, 2010
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>That all depends on what the legal definition of 'terroristic threatening' is. I seriously doubt that a husband threatening his wife is considered 'terroristic'.
I stand corrected. Terroristic Threat Law & Legal Definition

A terroristic threat is a crime generally involving a threat to commit violence communicated with the intent to terrorize another, to cause evacuation of a building, or to cause serious public inconvenience, in reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience. It may mean an offense against property or involving danger to another person that may include but is not limited to recklessly endangering another person, harassment, stalking, ethnic intimidation, and criminal mischief.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sherman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deceived Wives of Prentiss Co. 12 min that-n-nothing 5
Cougars and MILFs (Mar '13) 23 min that-n-nothing 27
Kristi Crowell's locked up AGAIN!! 2 hr Opinion 11
Is Atmos ripping us off? 3 hr Rod Knox 7
Organ Recovery Agency scholarship deadline nears 3 hr Peace 1
Birthplace, Veterans Park bonds alive in Legisl... 3 hr Peace 1
Tva Ceo touts utility's success, plans 4 hr Proper 1
Sherman Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Sherman People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:26 am PST

Bleacher Report11:26AM
Bears, Steelers Among Top Spots for FA RB Jackson
NBC Sports 2:32 PM
Falcons waive Jonathan Massaquoi
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
NFL Draft 2015: 1st-Round Mock Draft and Top Potential Mid-Round Steals
NFL 6:49 AM
Dan Quinn wants Sean Weatherspoon back on Falcons
Bleacher Report 4:54 PM
What's Best Plan for Replacements for Falcons?