Dave Cullen - Exageration of the trut...

Dave Cullen - Exageration of the truth, and lying?

Posted in the Sheridan Forum

Lorna

Bedford, UK

#1 Oct 25, 2010
I want to know, if at all possible, if it's true what Dave Cullen says in his book? He clearly states that Eric Harris was incredibly popular, even more so than the "jocks" And he also says that Eric was a charmer, and the girls loved him, and he was a hit with the girls.
I prefer brooks book on the subject, i have to admit. I've seen discussions that Dave Cullen is a liar, and i have to agree. I don't believe that this was true with Eric, get back to me someone! Thanks :)
sls

United States

#2 Sep 30, 2011
Yes most of what he wrote was completely exaggerated and untrue. You would know if you have researched Columbine and read the 11k.
steven

Wembley, UK

#3 Apr 29, 2013
I Recommend you read ralph larkins book 'comprehending columbine' it is a far better book in my opinion or maybe just more rounded. it accepts that eric and Dylan had psychological problems but unlike Cullen it looks at the interplay of factors between the boys and their social environment which Cullen does not do. Its true that neither Dylan nor eric were in the trenchcoat mafia, but that does not mean they were not derided or bullied. Its true that they had friends but they were not popular or in the 'in crowd'. its true eric was full of hate toward humanity in general but how did he get like that? Cullen says he was born that way, no one is in my view. its also worth reading about the effect of bullying on gifted children and eric and Dylan were bullied since middle school. gifted children who live in a hostile social environment have been shown to develop sociopathic tendencies as both eric and Dylan did. they weren't born that way.
steven

Wembley, UK

#4 Apr 29, 2013
Lorna wrote:
I want to know, if at all possible, if it's true what Dave Cullen says in his book? He clearly states that Eric Harris was incredibly popular, even more so than the "jocks" And he also says that Eric was a charmer, and the girls loved him, and he was a hit with the girls.
I prefer brooks book on the subject, i have to admit. I've seen discussions that Dave Cullen is a liar, and i have to agree. I don't believe that this was true with Eric, get back to me someone! Thanks :)
read 'comprehending columbine' by ralph larkin much better.
Question Mark

United States

#5 Nov 12, 2013
It sucks that Cullen's article (which is mostly lies) pops up so often on google. It's 90% bull. Yes, Eric and Dylan both bullied other kids, does that mean they weren't mistreated? No. He basically says Eric was super popular, living in a wonderful world with no problems yet was an evil monster in a perfect utopia. Right.....that's why if you read Comprehending Columbine other students actually talked about fighting back against the jocks (I read one girl actually threatened to blow up the school). Obviously it's pretty much the same as reading a super religious person's explanation that Satan got to them...
lorna

Middlesbrough, UK

#6 Nov 12, 2013
Question Mark wrote:
It sucks that Cullen's article (which is mostly lies) pops up so often on google. It's 90% bull. Yes, Eric and Dylan both bullied other kids, does that mean they weren't mistreated? No. He basically says Eric was super popular, living in a wonderful world with no problems yet was an evil monster in a perfect utopia. Right.....that's why if you read Comprehending Columbine other students actually talked about fighting back against the jocks (I read one girl actually threatened to blow up the school). Obviously it's pretty much the same as reading a super religious person's explanation that Satan got to them...
I guess it was a long time ago that I began studying this. I have had the pleasure of talking to many people with many theories thanks to the internet. One that sticks in my mind is 'Kate's theory'. I met this woman on a discussion forum and she offered to send me her research. Upon reading it, I actually sided with her more than I have with any of the books I have read. I agree that the two teenagers were 'exceptionally smart' but not in a conventional way. I believe that they were born with an extra eye, one that saw humanity and all of its injustice. Therefor, taking us back to our natural instincts, to destroy. If not destroy, then punish in a good old game of 'natural selection'. I think that the boys thought, in a twisted and messed up way, that they were doing the world a favor..
Question Mark

United States

#7 Nov 13, 2013
lorna wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it was a long time ago that I began studying this. I have had the pleasure of talking to many people with many theories thanks to the internet. One that sticks in my mind is 'Kate's theory'. I met this woman on a discussion forum and she offered to send me her research. Upon reading it, I actually sided with her more than I have with any of the books I have read. I agree that the two teenagers were 'exceptionally smart' but not in a conventional way. I believe that they were born with an extra eye, one that saw humanity and all of its injustice. Therefor, taking us back to our natural instincts, to destroy. If not destroy, then punish in a good old game of 'natural selection'. I think that the boys thought, in a twisted and messed up way, that they were doing the world a favor..
Agreed. Eric's journal pretty much says "I'm better, smarter, and cooler than everyone else so every other person deserves to die unless I say otherwise." Seems like hitman for hire was a foreshadowing video they did intentionally imo. Even with Eric's agression he does have a soft spot, and seems to hide all of his low self esteem 99% of the time. Both were misanthropes for the most part, or at least willing to kill anyone in/around the school....come to think of it, do you think they ever thought their parents could've been in the parking lot when their car bombs would explode? Dylan and Eric seemed to love their parents very much, but their plan may have killed them....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sheridan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 28 min Respect71 53,708
Review: I Love Kickboxing- Lakewood (Dec '15) 4 hr dezz0806 73
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 15 hr Beatnik 29,612
last post wins! (Feb '11) 17 hr Princess Hey 26,389
Taylor Swift touched or not touched 21 hr Assquatch 3
Respect71 is a hypocritical LOSER (Dec '15) Thu Avid reader 16
Play the "end of the word" game (Jul '11) Wed texas pete 4,272

Sheridan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sheridan Mortgages