More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,152

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#9211 Mar 7, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
I threw out a bunch of milo and parrot seed yesterday and I had the quail, dove sparrow and 2 other types of birds fighting over it. It was quite a sight. I have a couple of pretty sparrow looking cardinals, red breasted that have returned to this area. I must have drank a six pack of cheap beer watching those birds get after it!
Definitely a cheap and entertaining way to spend time. You should see the neo-tropical migrant birds of the east when they start arriving up here at the end of April!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9212 Mar 8, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Definitely a cheap and entertaining way to spend time. You should see the neo-tropical migrant birds of the east when they start arriving up here at the end of April!
I haven't seen the swallows yet.
fifty1fifty

Little Rock, AR

#9213 Mar 8, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't seen the swallows yet.
Yeah...mine woman no swallows either but wanting to see it? 10,000 posts coming soon and not anything to stop it!(:
andrew

UK

#9214 Mar 9, 2013
Hopefully they will find out what may have caused the death of the fishes. Check out this website and you will never regret it. http://PayMilo.com/ref.php... . See you at the top.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9215 Mar 9, 2013
fifty1fifty wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah...mine woman no swallows either but wanting to see it? 10,000 posts coming soon and not anything to stop it!(:
That is what your boyfriend is for!
fifty1fifty

Little Rock, AR

#9216 Mar 9, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>That is what your boyfriend is for!
That's what your azzhole is for, swallowing root oil from big pen is es, and by the way "F" U. Just cause you are "funny queer" does not mean all others are like you?(:
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9217 Mar 9, 2013
fifty1fifty wrote:
<quoted text>That's what your azzhole is for, swallowing root oil from big pen is es, and by the way "F" U. Just cause you are "funny queer" does not mean all others are like you?(:
LMAO! You Nancy Boys have always cracked me up! Now run along rump ranger I am not your type!
curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#9218 Mar 9, 2013
there are kingfishers that come and nest here every year. we saw them for the first time this season yesterday. they where attacking the little sparrow hawk that likes to roost on the power lines. no barn swallows yet. my tame pigeons and bantam hens are nesting & raising brood. I hope spring is here to stay.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9219 Mar 9, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
there are kingfishers that come and nest here every year. we saw them for the first time this season yesterday. they where attacking the little sparrow hawk that likes to roost on the power lines. no barn swallows yet. my tame pigeons and bantam hens are nesting & raising brood. I hope spring is here to stay.
When our mesquite blooms it signifies the last freeze is gone. It is definitely spring here.

SE Michigan

#9220 Mar 9, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't seen the swallows yet.
In these parts, Tree Swallows are the first swallows to appear, usually in early April. They can winter farther north than the other swallows because they will sometimes eat berries.

The other swallows (Cliff, Barn, Northern Rough-wing and Bank will arrive closer to the end of April or early May. They have to rely on a steady supply of insects.

SE Michigan

#9221 Mar 9, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
I am getting a few blackbirds and grackles! That does signify spring here. It doesn't mean it can't snow either. Some of our worst ice storms have been in April.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9222 Mar 10, 2013
<quoted text>
I am getting a few blackbirds and grackles! That does signify spring here. It doesn't mean it can't snow either. Some of our worst ice storms have been in April.
I watched an eagle on my fence post yesterday. He sat there for what seemed like forever. Really big and pretty bird..

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#9224 Mar 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Operational or non-operational....they still slaughter birds...and the real numbers are being kept a secret by the government and by the big wind companies.
Only ONE wind farm in CA has been monitored for large bird (raptors) kills and they found the problem so bad, they are now reducing the number of turbines and the design of them. Will they ever start counting the SONGBIRDS killed by them all over the country? I doubt it. There's too much money involved.
Alot of good the new turbines will do. Songirds still migrate, mostly at night, and the wind mills are still in their flight path, which is largely unseen by them in the darkness. More so on foggy, snowy, rainy or moonless nights.
Aircraft safety lights on the structures makes the problem even worse, so they say. Lights apparently "confuse" the birds who end up flying circles around the structures further increasing the risk of collision with the monstrosity.
I personally don't know if the birds are confused by the lighting, or if they are eating the insects attracted to the lights. Either way, wind energy kills and is NOT green or clean, nor is it cheap.
http://www.examiner.com/article/bird-slaughte...
Silent Spring. WTF are they thinking? Not energy conservation or effieciency.....more more into now the prevailing winds to decimate the migrations.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#9225 Mar 13, 2013
We're close to fawkin doomed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_ameri...
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9226 Mar 14, 2013
Tooth4U wrote:
We are OK. It's the cycle of life..
Navy

Jonesboro, AR

#9227 Mar 14, 2013
Fly
curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#9229 Mar 17, 2013
Written by

Submitted Report

Filed Under
Sports

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission is hosting two “Trapping 101” workshops at the Calico Rock Regional Office, located at 1125 Highway 56.

The first workshop will be 6-8:30 p.m. March 22 and will be based on dry land sets. Charlie Bass of the Arkansas Trappers Association will share advantages and disadvantages of various techniques for dry land sets.

The second workshop will be 6-8:30 p.m. March 29 and will be based on water sets. Bass also will lead this workshop by demonstrating trapping methods for aquatic furbearers.

Space is limited. Call (877) 297-4331 or email kbwilliamson@agfc.state.ar.us to register. Special door prices will be drawn for those who register and attend both workshops.

SE Michigan

#9230 Mar 17, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I watched an eagle on my fence post yesterday. He sat there for what seemed like forever. Really big and pretty bird..
Speaking of eagles; I just updated myself yesterday on the bird happenings just to the north of me.
This date stands out as a really good day....I was sick then and didn't check this site like I normally do. Migration is really starting to getting underway here with the early migrants.
Date- March 7, 2013:
"Where do I begin? The Canada Geese were estimated at 10000 that lined the open water of the Shiawassee River and fed in the adjacent, enormous field. We set up to look for Short-eared Owls (more later) and an additional, incredible influx of Canada Geese flew in from the southwest in numbers estimated at another 10K. They weren't done coming in as another 3K came in as the light had all but disappeared in the west.
The immature Golden Eagle flew in low over the large field and was beautifully lit in the late afternoon sun. It passed by us to the south just a short distance to afford generous views. It created a waterfowl flight frenzy and made an additional pass/frenzy some twenty minutes later.

Steve pointed out an unprecedented behavior in four immature Bald Eagles as we watched in near disbelief as they aggressively pursued a White-tailed Deer. They made very close passes at it until the deer ran over the dike and into the woods to the east. This same group exhibited the same behavior with another deer thirty minutes later and the deer also ran into the woods to safety. Amazing!

One of the Short-eared Owls flew a mere fifty feet from us in the grassy field and was beautifully lit in the late afternoon sun. It stared at us with its intense yellow eyes accented by black eye patches."
http://www.saginawbaybirding.org/_spring13.ht...

This is getting exciting! The next two months will be SOOOO busy with new arrivals everyday.

There is alot of singing in the yard today!

SE Michigan

#9231 Mar 17, 2013
Tooth4U wrote:
<quoted text>
Silent Spring. WTF are they thinking? Not energy conservation or effieciency.....more more into now the prevailing winds to decimate the migrations.
We have GOT to get the word out about the deadly wind turbines. Most "environmentalists" haven't a clue about the environment or what they espouse as green.
http://www.wind-watch.org/

SE Michigan

#9232 Mar 17, 2013
Tooth4U wrote:
The Monarchs are definitely in trouble. Not enough people allow the Milkweed to grow for the caterpillars because they all want sterile grass. They think weeds of any kind are "bad." Most people are ignorant to the fact that Milkweed is the ONLY plant the Monarch caterpillar uses.

I'm all for protecting the butterflies wintering in Mexico and protecting the habitat they use there. But to eliminate all logging could spell disaster for them if a fire sweeps through that area while the butterflies are roosting for the winter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sheridan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where the hookers at? Dec 24 Big Dawg 2
Katy Harmon Dec 21 Messed up 3
County unveils maps detailing potential liquor ... Dec 20 grateful2bgrandess 1
Debate: Marijuana - Pine Bluff, AR (Aug '10) Dec 19 tina 10
Nikki goodnight Dec 16 bb tj 17
Nation's 3rd-poorest city is Pine Bluff, Ark., ... (Nov '09) Dec 11 moogman 52
Inmate Sues Ark. Dept. Of Community Correction ... (May '08) Dec 10 Get real 29
Sheridan Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web