Look at crimes involving Hispanics reveals complex picture

Full story: Wilkes Barre, PA Times Leader

HAZLETON - A review of arrest records in the city over the last six years shows that the number of arrests of Hispanics seems in line with the city's booming Hispanic population over the same period.
Comments
5,121 - 5,140 of 5,282 Comments Last updated Oct 19, 2013

“A Dog's Life is Good”

Since: Feb 11

Mon Valley, Pa.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2012

Judged:

A Merry Christmas to all.
Beach828

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Menard's parking lot, my brother and I are wheeling our shopping cart back to our truck when we see an illegal alien shoving stuff into the back of a white van. My brother took our empty shopping cart and laid it down on it's side behind the white van as the little fellow is climbing into the van. As he pulls back he gets hung up on the shopping cart, we continued on our way. It really screwed up the van, what a pity!
Alberto

Benton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Unfortunately Hispanics make up a big part of the population in the Hazelton, PA area. However, we have to look at the bigger picture, our immigration system is broken and it needs to be fixed. I am a Brooklyn born Puerto Rican, but I consider myself to be an American first. We have problems in the entire North East Pennsylvania area; corruption, crime, drugs,racism, prejudice, etc. Every generation has had some "beef" with different races and cultures. The Irish, Germans, Italians, Blacks, Asians, etc and we have not learned from our past that blaming does not work and it causes more problems. So we have to see the problem and come up with solutions. In regards to illegal immigration, they come here looking for opportunity and they do the jobs that real Americans would normally not do. Again, this can also tie into greed, because the illegal aliens are paid scraps and treated as if they were less than human by "Americans" looking to make a profit, capitalism at its best. Yes we can point a finger at hispanics, blacks, whites, etc because our media is able to pick and choose what people are willing to pay for and "drugs, sex and violence" sell. Let's work together to find solutions to our problems for if we do not we may all have to learn how to speak Chinese.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Well Alberto, you made several generalizations that were a little off base. The Irish and Germans came here with skills like carpentry, masonry and construction. What pray tell do the Dominicans bring to the table? I'm not even going to waste my time addressing the crime issue. One look at the FBI stats on who commits the majority of crime in the US will answer that question. That also holds true for welfare and every other government hand out available. Another problem is if you people come here for a better life, why is it everywhere you people move to is turned into a filthy ghetto? And finally, you have the gaul to even say work together or learn to speak Chinese? YOUR culture are the only lazy bastards that ever came here and had this country post bi-lingual crap. And honestly, I'd rather learn the language of a culture that is known for it's work and ethic values as opposed to the language of a bunch of parasites.
Mr Righteous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Alea iacta est wrote:
Well Alberto, you made several generalizations that were a little off base. The Irish and Germans came here with skills like carpentry, masonry and construction. What pray tell do the Dominicans bring to the table? I'm not even going to waste my time addressing the crime issue. One look at the FBI stats on who commits the majority of crime in the US will answer that question. That also holds true for welfare and every other government hand out available. Another problem is if you people come here for a better life, why is it everywhere you people move to is turned into a filthy ghetto? And finally, you have the gaul to even say work together or learn to speak Chinese? YOUR culture are the only lazy bastards that ever came here and had this country post bi-lingual crap. And honestly, I'd rather learn the language of a culture that is known for it's work and ethic values as opposed to the language of a bunch of parasites.
wow! Are you a racist little bitch
Slimmer

Hazleton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

I was having a good time burning down buildings until the Latinos started snitching on me. We need to deport them all!
Alberto

Benton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Well seems like someone has a bug up her a@#$. You seem to miss the point, every culture has had its ups and downs when they arrive to the US. I have never discounted the contributions that every culture has made and the reasons they had to leave their countries. It seems like you should look at your statistics more closely, crime stats indicate that more whites commit crimes than any other race (69%) according to the FBI statistics. It is estimated that 38.8% of people on welfare are white, 39% are black and 15.7% are hispanic. Many hispanics come here to work, they are your carpenters, your laborers, they work in lawn and garden companies, etc. Every race and culture has its bad apples and it seems that people rather place blame than look at how to fix it.
Beach828

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Alberto wrote:
Unfortunately Hispanics make up a big part of the population in the Hazelton, PA area. However, we have to look at the bigger picture, our immigration system is broken and it needs to be fixed. I am a Brooklyn born Puerto Rican, but I consider myself to be an American first. We have problems in the entire North East Pennsylvania area; corruption, crime, drugs,racism, prejudice, etc. Every generation has had some "beef" with different races and cultures. The Irish, Germans, Italians, Blacks, Asians, etc and we have not learned from our past that blaming does not work and it causes more problems. So we have to see the problem and come up with solutions. In regards to illegal immigration, they come here looking for opportunity and they do the jobs that real Americans would normally not do. Again, this can also tie into greed, because the illegal aliens are paid scraps and treated as if they were less than human by "Americans" looking to make a profit, capitalism at its best. Yes we can point a finger at hispanics, blacks, whites, etc because our media is able to pick and choose what people are willing to pay for and "drugs, sex and violence" sell. Let's work together to find solutions to our problems for if we do not we may all have to learn how to speak Chinese.
If you believe this bullshit you will believe anything!

“A Dog's Life is Good”

Mon Valley, Pa.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Some people are just gullible and like skewed numbers.so long as they look in their favor.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Crime Rates
• Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit mur-
der, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
• When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely
than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.
• Hispanics commit violent crimes at roughly three times the white rate, and
Asians commit violent crimes at about one quarter the white rate.
• The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of
the population that is black and Hispanic.

Interracial Crime
• Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involv-
ing blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.
• Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. Forty-
five percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are
Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are
black.
• Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against
a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.
• Blacks are 2.25 times more likely to commit officially-designated hate crimes
against whites than vice versa.
Gangs
• Only 10 percent of youth gang members are white.
• Hispanics are 19 times more likely than whites to be members of youth gangs.
Blacks are 15 times more likely, and Asians are nine times more likely.

A Pew Hispanic Center study found that, of those sentenced for federal crimes in 2007, non-citizen Hispanics were 74 percent of immigration offenders, 25 percent of drug offenders, 8 percent of white collar offenders, and 6 percent of firearms offenders. Non-citizen Hispanics are 5.1 percent of the nation’s adult population. However, the report does not provide information for other crimes or for non-Hispanic immigrants.
While Hispanic only make up 13% of the population they contribute 40% to federal prison population according to the PEW research group. In contrast whites make up 64% of the population and contribute only 27% to the federal prison population.
Beach828

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Wow - I didn't have the exact numbers, but just reading the newspaper tells me that the black and illegal aliens deal the most crime. Thanks Alea for those numbers.
Anonymous

Susquehanna, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

FYI, spanish people are not the only IMMIGRANTS. Can't we all just get along! WE ARE ALL HUMANS.
Anonymous

Susquehanna, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Do your statistics account for the CT massacre, which mind you, was committed by a white guy? What about the fact that in the past 10 years, 90% of the massacres committed in the USA were by a white person. It takes a certain mindset to commit such heinous crimes, crimes like killing and slaughtering Indians, Sounth Americans, African, Asians, etc. At some point, this kind will have to be delt with. Think about that when you spew your nonsense.
Alea iacta est wrote:
Crime Rates
• When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely
• The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of
Interracial Crime
five percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are
Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are
black.
• Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against
Gangs
A Pew Hispanic Center study found that, of those sentenced for federal crimes in 2007, non-citizen Hispanics were 74 percent of immigration offenders, 25 percent of drug offenders, 8 percent of white collar offenders, and 6 percent of firearms offenders. Non-citizen Hispanics are 5.1 percent of the nation’s adult population. However, the report does not provide information for other crimes or for non-Hispanic immigrants.
While Hispanic only make up 13% of the population they contribute 40% to federal prison population according to the PEW research group. In contrast whites make up 64% of the population and contribute only 27% to the federal prison population.
Mr Righteous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
Do your statistics account for the CT massacre, which mind you, was committed by a white guy? What about the fact that in the past 10 years, 90% of the massacres committed in the USA were by a white person. It takes a certain mindset to commit such heinous crimes, crimes like killing and slaughtering Indians, Sounth Americans, African, Asians, etc. At some point, this kind will have to be delt with. Think about that when you spew your nonsense.
<quoted text>
alea turns a blind eye to crimes done by white people. To alea, she doesn't see that, I guess is hard for some people to see the whole picture when their heads are up their behinds.
Slimmer

Hazleton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Anybody want to buy me five gallons of kerosene? I promise to swallow and to not neglect your balls.
Mr Righteous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Alea iacta est wrote:
Crime Rates
Interracial Crime
black.
Gangs
when you're done being a closed-minded idiot or get your head out of your ass, go to the forums page and look for the thread "how two violent crimes eclipsed the facts about illegal imigration for one house member" and read the article linked to that. Unless you can't read and just don't care cause you are an extrimist ignorant racist azzhole.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

So you think I "made up" those numbers? All I did was copy and paste the statistics for crimes by race. Seems to me you just hate the truth. There is an old saying "Wanna piss off a conservative? tell a lie. Wanna piss off a liberal? tell the truth" But since you mentioned up the Sandy Hook tragedy, here's another take on it. The country went crazy after it happened and rightfully so but in Chicago last year there were 500 or so murders and 80% were black on black and nobody gave a crap!!! Have a nice day.
Mr Righteous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Alea, you don't like the truth also, and yes everybody is guilty of that. But you like: beach828, dadog1, cpltrips and the rest of those morons that think alike,... They close their eyes to the complete picture. They just want to spead the hate because of their midget mentality, they think they're better than the rest of the world! But they aren't any better than a bucketful of sewage. their thought process is not better that those racist hicks in the south that commit hate crimes on other races. Instead of doing something positive and exemplary for the white race they rather spread the hate....because that is all they can do, so to you and them a crime committed by whites is justified. Talking to mental midgets is like talking to retards!

“A Dog's Life is Good”

Mon Valley, Pa.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Mr Righteous wrote:
Alea, you don't like the truth also, and yes everybody is guilty of that. But you like: beach828, dadog1, cpltrips and the rest of those morons that think alike,... They close their eyes to the complete picture. They just want to spead the hate because of their midget mentality, they think they're better than the rest of the world! But they aren't any better than a bucketful of sewage. their thought process is not better that those racist hicks in the south that commit hate crimes on other races. Instead of doing something positive and exemplary for the white race they rather spread the hate....because that is all they can do, so to you and them a crime committed by whites is justified. Talking to mental midgets is like talking to retards!
Your use of my name in this rant is highly insulting but if you feel it adds some kind of credibility to your rants, please carry on Mr. Mental Giant. You've already broken most of the rules of good taste.
IDK what

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Whats this about?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sheppton Discussions

Search the Sheppton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 25 min Eddie Swindell 51,202
Review: Greater Hazleton Editorial 2 hr not a sp ick 12
March of the Pajama People 3 hr oh my lord 9
Whites are two-faced racists! (Jul '13) 3 hr oh my lord 25
dominicans (Nov '11) 4 hr oh my lord 3
Third Luzerne County inmate charged with escape 4 hr oh my lord 1
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 7 hr tom the con artist 3,832
•••
•••
•••
•••

Sheppton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Sheppton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••