moving to shenandoah
joey

Baldwin, NY

#1 Jun 7, 2010
can anyone give me some details about everyday life there i presently live on long island new york and i just gotta get away i've always had a fasenation about iowa and what i've read it seems peretty good i own my own small landscaping business here and was hoping to continue it there is this fesable what is the price's people are paying to have their lawn mowed and how big of a piece of property here i usually charge 30-35 for a 3rd of an acre all feedback is welcomed

Beth BC

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#2 Jun 10, 2010
Everyday life is ssssllllloooooooowwwwwwww in Shenandoah. What few business' there are overcharge for the most part and have a poor selection. Quality work at reasonable prices will not get you anywhere. If you don't know the right people or have the right last name you don't stand a chance. Low quality, slow, over priced work is accepted and is the norm with only a few exceptions. One being a lawn care business that works a 50+ mile radius. If you like good food you have to settle for Mexican or Chinese as every other place in town is not so good. The most popular place in town has horrible service is filthy and the food is god awful. Housing in Shenandoah is high priced for the area. Even rent is over priced do to so many getting aid for it.

Just North aways is the town of Glenwood that is very friendly and welcomes growth. Lots of opportunities and near Omaha Ne in the beautiful Loess Hills. Malvern Iowa is very near Glenwood and is a very nice very small town. New homes can be had for $130,000 and up and a nice existing home for under $100,000. Rentals range from $600-$1800.
Tony

Elkhorn, NE

#3 Aug 8, 2010
Well, it might be best if you visit Shenandoah to decide if it works for you. Don't rely on the low IQ comments like those from Beth Beefcurtains.
Every small town has its unique advantages and disadvantages.

Beth BC

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#4 Aug 9, 2010
Tony wrote:
Well, it might be best if you visit Shenandoah to decide if it works for you. Don't rely on the low IQ comments like those from Beth Beefcurtains.
Every small town has its unique advantages and disadvantages.
Yes, do not rely on my accurate actual facts about Shenandoah down to the cost of housing. Here's some interesting tid bits about town. The current mayor is the former chief of police and was never fired after putting a loaded handgun in the trash can outside the offices. He had taken it from the evidence room. The current judge is a high school drop out that joined the military to avoid being punished for his criminal actions. The current head of the Chamber Of Commerce ran a stop sign at 2 in the afternoon while campaigning to be governor, killed someone and got away scott free because it was an accident. And a couple of years ago the police were called to a make shift meth lab and would not go in back of the house because they were afraid of the suspects who had threatened to beat the one cop up next time he saw him. The house burned to the ground next to the school a few days later. There is also an officer in town that is a dope smoker and swinger. Come on to town! They need your tax dollar to pay for the new city hotel and restaurant that is only open to guests.
m two

Omaha, NE

#5 Aug 10, 2010
Beth Beefcurtains wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, do not rely on my accurate actual facts about Shenandoah down to the cost of housing. Here's some interesting tid bits about town. The current mayor is the former chief of police and was never fired after putting a loaded handgun in the trash can outside the offices. He had taken it from the evidence room. The current judge is a high school drop out that joined the military to avoid being punished for his criminal actions. The current head of the Chamber Of Commerce ran a stop sign at 2 in the afternoon while campaigning to be governor, killed someone and got away scott free because it was an accident. And a couple of years ago the police were called to a make shift meth lab and would not go in back of the house because they were afraid of the suspects who had threatened to beat the one cop up next time he saw him. The house burned to the ground next to the school a few days later. There is also an officer in town that is a dope smoker and swinger. Come on to town! They need your tax dollar to pay for the new city hotel and restaurant that is only open to guests.
Don't forget the city will force you to keep your yard cleaned up and trees trimmed 14ft off the street while they allow their lots to grow up in weeds and trees to block the view of oncoming traffic. This is the situation downtown and near the post office now. Do you suppose we could trim their trees back and bill them like they do home owners?
JDF

Salyersville, KY

#6 Aug 30, 2010
HSSS
JDF

Salyersville, KY

#7 Aug 30, 2010
YUU
Andrea

United States

#8 Apr 1, 2011
Lol well I guess my ex and his wife fit right in with the town figures. Watch out Shanondoah
Curious

Sedalia, MO

#9 Sep 29, 2011
What of the people there

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shenandoah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Iowa Democratic Party Reviewing Results in Cauc... Feb '16 RustyS 2
News LISTEN: Political Correspondent Don Gonyea's Io... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Ace MacNabb 5
News More (May '15) May '15 Novus Ordo Seclorum 2
Swimming pools (Jun '12) Dec '14 kurtcooksalot16 2
bj (Sep '14) Sep '14 Hoover Niebold 1
Meet the locals (May '14) May '14 Hoover Niebold 1
This is MY town! (Nov '13) Nov '13 M Acres 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shenandoah Mortgages