Minneapolis family sues Metro Gang St...

Minneapolis family sues Metro Gang Strike Force over raid on home

There are 47 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 24, 2009, titled Minneapolis family sues Metro Gang Strike Force over raid on home. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Members of a Minneapolis family are suing the Metro Gang Strike Force, claiming officers ransacked their home during a search, unlawfully seized property and illegally detained them with excessive force.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Get a clue

Cottage Grove, MN

#1 Jun 24, 2009
If a family lives with a gang member, drug user, etc., they take the risk of having the police execute a warrant at their house. And of course they were all handcuffed. Police don't sit and wait for people to get weapons and use them against them. Nestor, get a life. Sue happy lawyer looking for some cash.
BS Warrants

Eden Prairie, MN

#2 Jun 24, 2009
The "probable cause" cannot be "suspected gang member." You can be in a gang, THAT is not illegal I'm sorry to say. The warrant was granted using a "confidential informant." They can pay off some rival thug to rat out anyone to justify a warrant. It seems this warrant was not justified and it seems more due diligence needs to be done before raids like this are carried out. One kid with some marijuana ("suspected marijuana" the report said and no charges filed) shouldn't involve a swat team banging down doors,breaking windows, and frightening and intimidating citizens. Notice these things don't happen in the 'burbs where all the white folks live that can afford to fight back legally? The drug war is a destructive failure which erodes the rights of citizens from unreasonable search and seizure. That all this went down over pot is a ridiculous waste of taxpayer money- especially if the state must now pay a settlement to the family they traumatized. Don't let fear give free reign to cops to do whatever they please. People's rights are being trampled on in the name of the failed drug war. It's time for a change of policy in America. Nixon started this ridiculous war on American citizens and we need to end it.

Since: May 09

Mounds Park, St Paul

#3 Jun 24, 2009
The family is going to win a huge settlement and we all know who will pay ... us. The Gang Task Force couldn't even keep records properly and some judge exects them to execute warrants properly?? We are a state of loons.
TaxTaxTax

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#4 Jun 24, 2009
If the gang taxk force knocks at your door, turn around and run the other direction. Make sure your kevlar vest is onf irst though so the 8 slugs to the back don't penetrate.
northside

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jun 24, 2009
what a BS , sue sue sue... this is so american sue for a living..... hell on earth..

Since: May 09

Mounds Park, St Paul

#6 Jun 24, 2009
northside wrote:
what a BS , sue sue sue... this is so american sue for a living..... hell on earth..

GEEEE, may I show up at YOUR house armed to the teeth and then falsely accuse you of being in a gang and then seize your property and not even log it? Let's make plans for next Halloween. You should be an easy mark.
Deputy

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Jun 24, 2009
Ryan said of strike force members: "They go out to a some mope, he's a dope dealer, he's never had a job and he's got this whole array of stuff that's really neat, that's better than the stuff the copper's got in his house, and they have this thing that they don't deserve so we're going to take it, we're going to forfeit it. You know. That's just the mentality of the coppers.

"So you almost have to tell 'em, quit taking stuff, you know...."
609.52 THEFT
Subd. 2.Acts constituting theft.Whoever does any of the following commits theft and may be sentenced as provided in subdivision 3:

(1) intentionally and without claim of right takes, uses, transfers, conceals or retains possession of movable property of another without the other's consent and with intent to deprive the owner permanently of possession of the property; or

(2) with or without having a legal interest in movable property, intentionally and without consent, takes the property out of the possession of a pledgee or other person having a superior right of possession, with intent thereby to deprive the pledgee or other person permanently of the possession of the property;
Thanks Mr. Ryan
Monk

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Jun 24, 2009
Deputy wrote:
Ryan said of strike force members: "They go out to a some mope, he's a dope dealer, he's never had a job and he's got this whole array of stuff that's really neat, that's better than the stuff the copper's got in his house, and they have this thing that they don't deserve so we're going to take it, we're going to forfeit it. You know. That's just the mentality of the coppers.
"So you almost have to tell 'em, quit taking stuff, you know...."
609.52 THEFT
Subd. 2.Acts constituting theft.Whoever does any of the following commits theft and may be sentenced as provided in subdivision 3:
Thanks Mr. Ryan
When and where did Ryan say this?
Monk

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Jun 24, 2009
BS Warrants wrote:
The "probable cause" cannot be "suspected gang member." You can be in a gang, THAT is not illegal I'm sorry to say. The warrant was granted using a "confidential informant." People's rights are being trampled on in the name of the failed drug war. It's time for a change of policy in America. Nixon started this ridiculous war on American citizens and we need to end it.
It's Rob isn't it? Still on your legalize drugs crusade?
The BS part of your name fits and your legalize drugs is also a bunch of BS.
Move to California. They are stoned enough to decriminalize pot so you can smoke it in the park.
Archie

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jun 24, 2009
Here we go again, The cops and the citizens are the bad guys and the gang members are nice little Robin Hoods collecting for sunday school.

One ambulance chasing lawyer for every 1 m citizens
How about cutting the sacks on people that produce lawyers like they do with ferrel cats?

My apologies to the cats.
Monk

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Jun 24, 2009
Archie wrote:
Here we go again, The cops and the citizens are the bad guys and the gang members are nice little Robin Hoods collecting for sunday school.
One ambulance chasing lawyer for every 1 m citizens
How about cutting the sacks on people that produce lawyers like they do with ferrel cats?
My apologies to the cats.
Like the Basque sheepherders who castrate the sheep with their teeth?
He sounds like another lawyer emboldened by the promise of a big payday. No money down and you only pay if we win. That'll be one-third plus office expenses.
BS Warrants

Eden Prairie, MN

#12 Jun 25, 2009
Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
It's Rob isn't it? Still on your legalize drugs crusade?
The BS part of your name fits and your legalize drugs is also a bunch of BS.
Move to California. They are stoned enough to decriminalize pot so you can smoke it in the park.
I cannot help it if you do not value protection under the 4th amendment. Your claims that people just want to get "stoned" are not taking into account that most Americans have already deemed the drug war a failure, and this is just one glaring example. How is this story conducive to showing that the drug war has worked? It shows the greed, corruption, and rights infringement that it perpetuates. If you think the drug war is a success, you are in the minority and you better have some info to back up any such claims. One does not need to be a "stoner" to desire a new approach that is less damaging to the world, peoples' basic rights, and actually does something to reduce demand for drugs.

I wholeheartedly welcome you to offer up ideas by which any of these objectives would be met. We're waiting....
St Dominic

Titusville, FL

#13 Jun 25, 2009
BS Warrants wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot help it if you do not value protection under the 4th amendment. Your claims that people just want to get "stoned" are not taking into account that most Americans have already deemed the drug war a failure, and this is just one glaring example. How is this story conducive to showing that the drug war has worked? It shows the greed, corruption, and rights infringement that it perpetuates. If you think the drug war is a success, you are in the minority and you better have some info to back up any such claims. One does not need to be a "stoner" to desire a new approach that is less damaging to the world, peoples' basic rights, and actually does something to reduce demand for drugs.
I wholeheartedly welcome you to offer up ideas by which any of these objectives would be met. We're waiting....
OPK...kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out.
Worked against the Cahars (Albigensians).

Since: May 09

Mounds Park, St Paul

#14 Jun 25, 2009
Archie wrote:
Here we go again, The cops and the citizens are the bad guys and the gang members are nice little Robin Hoods collecting for sunday school.
One ambulance chasing lawyer for every 1 m citizens
How about cutting the sacks on people that produce lawyers like they do with ferrel cats?
My apologies to the cats.
Archie, this is a country built on law. If law officers violate the law, then we have an even worse form of government, which are called police states.

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jun 25, 2009
Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
When and where did Ryan say this?
Pioneer Press, 06/19/2009
http://www.twincities.com/ci_12652583
BS Warrants

Eden Prairie, MN

#16 Jun 25, 2009
St Dominic wrote:
<quoted text>
OPK...kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out.
Worked against the Cahars (Albigensians).
If by "kill" you mean let gang violence sort them out and put the rest in jail to "purify" our society of inconvenient minority groups or those who are a threat to special interests and Corporatism, then yes, fine example. Funny how many "Christian" conservative groups are all for it. Very apt comparison indeed. Well done.
Monk

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Jun 25, 2009
BS Warrants wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot help it if you do not value protection under the 4th amendment. Your claims that people just want to get "stoned" are not taking into account that most Americans have already deemed the drug war a failure, and this is just one glaring example. How is this story conducive to showing that the drug war has worked? It shows the greed, corruption, and rights infringement that it perpetuates. If you think the drug war is a success, you are in the minority and you better have some info to back up any such claims. One does not need to be a "stoner" to desire a new approach that is less damaging to the world, peoples' basic rights, and actually does something to reduce demand for drugs.
I wholeheartedly welcome you to offer up ideas by which any of these objectives would be met. We're waiting....
Name one modern nation that has legalized or even decriminalized street drugs. We're waiting.....

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Jun 25, 2009
Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
Name one modern nation that has legalized or even decriminalized street drugs. We're waiting.....
Marijuana has been decriminalized in:
Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Chile
Colombia
Croatia
Czech Republic
Germany
Macedonia
Mexico
Peru
Portugal
Russia
Spain
Venezuela

It is legal in India and legal with restrictions in Netherlands, Pakistan, and Uruguay.

I may have missed some.
Big Al

Kelseyville, CA

#19 Jun 25, 2009
I normally side with law enforcement. I give them the benefit of the doubt. I know how it is in life and death situations. They have an extremely difficult job and I commend them for their efforts. However, I when I fought in Nam and they told me it was for the individual human rights that we enjoy as Americans. Because you are a police officer in most every instance I will willingly defer to you. When you attempt enter my home you had better be able and willing provide me with all of the approproiate legal documents which give you the legal right to enter. We cannot allow you free reign. If we allow you to violate constitutional liberties to catch a gangbager we allow you to violate constitutional liberties against me also. You guys need to figure out how to do it the right way. I have fought for my rights in the past and I'm not going to let it slide now! Beware, very aware, if you try to enter my home forcibly.
Get a clue

Cottage Grove, MN

#20 Jun 25, 2009
Big Al wrote:
I normally side with law enforcement. I give them the benefit of the doubt. I know how it is in life and death situations. They have an extremely difficult job and I commend them for their efforts. However, I when I fought in Nam and they told me it was for the individual human rights that we enjoy as Americans. Because you are a police officer in most every instance I will willingly defer to you. When you attempt enter my home you had better be able and willing provide me with all of the approproiate legal documents which give you the legal right to enter. We cannot allow you free reign. If we allow you to violate constitutional liberties to catch a gangbager we allow you to violate constitutional liberties against me also. You guys need to figure out how to do it the right way. I have fought for my rights in the past and I'm not going to let it slide now! Beware, very aware, if you try to enter my home forcibly.
"Beware, very aware, if you try to enter my home forcibly." Big Al: Beware, very aware, you do something stupid with an office and you will end up dead. And should. 99 percent of what you said is right, but this last sentence is goofy. Remember, use the process.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shelly Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '18 Super 5
Nielsville Music Thread (Nov '17) Nov '17 Musikologist 1
Jonah James Hawkins (Dec '10) Sep '17 Concernedmother55 15
Childhood Memories Growing up In Hendrum In Th... (Mar '09) Jun '17 Joanna Backman 6
violence to pets, people, property a BIG problem! (Apr '17) Apr '17 DEEs 1
News New busing system to start this fall at Mpls. h... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Truth 3
News Three South St. Paul school board members face ... (Oct '10) Oct '10 Truth About IB 1

Shelly Jobs

Personal Finance

Shelly Mortgages