First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Curious

Sheldon, IL

#1 Dec 14, 2013
What do you think of the new "Berkots?"

I'll go first. The store is smaller...they obviously put a wall in and are utilizing the other space for something other than groceries. But there is less square footage that has food for sale.

The produce section is limited, high priced, and very unappealing. Looks like a museum and just as cold in spirit.

The alcohol section is nearly as big as produce and bigger than deli. Tell you where they look to make money?

The customer service witch is back...Charlene. Bad move...she ain't worth it! She is nothing but rude, deceptive, and creepy.

The store is no longer our "Berkots." It does not look or give the appearance of the hometown store we loved and enjoyed in the past. It looks more like a Jewel or other high-end store, which Iroquois County can neither afford or want.

The store is stuffy as far as NO customer service, courtesy, or helpfulness that the old store always offered.

At the check out lines, there are no store ads for you to pick up like most stores. There are Big R ads instead. Who wants to shop at that place?? No thanks!!:(

As I was walking in to see the store for the first time, a good friend was also on her way into he store. It took me all of 5 minutes in produce, then I headed to the coffee grinder/display to pick up a bag of coffee. This is just around the corner from produce. That friend of mine was already in the checkout lane, calling out to me that **this** was her only visit. She did not like it and said she was done.

Well, I've done my shopping there. I'm inclined to agree with her. I won't be back.

ALDI'S has everything I need with value, quality, and courteous service. Well worth the 1/2 drive!
haha

Tampa, FL

#2 Dec 14, 2013
Seriously quit complaing. At least we don't have to pay Walmart prices anymore. I think it looks very nice and great deals on meat and some other sales.
woo hoo

Tampa, FL

#3 Dec 14, 2013
It does look nice and even if meat is the cheappest shit go to Walmart and then go there and get the same thing and see how much u save ya I have to agree it is smaller tho to...... and the free bag of groceries was a fuckin joke was out in that cold for a hr and got crap the people that was there no what I'm talking about
Sad

Bourbonnais, IL

#4 Dec 14, 2013
Don't you people in Watseka like anything.
Berkots frachisee

Kankakee, IL

#5 Dec 14, 2013
Berkots is a chain. Don't like it, go elsewhere. You people are a bunch of ungrateful scumbags. Stat out of my store.
Gotcha

Sheldon, IL

#6 Dec 15, 2013
I go to Aldis. It's cheaper and their quality is a lot better. I agree with the poster who doesn't like WalMart...never shop there. And no, most people in Watseka don't like anything in Watseka. Just the attitude taught to all of us by the "good, ole boys." Get new people running the county and a LOT will change. JMHO
Aldi hater

United States

#7 Dec 16, 2013
Aldi is dog food. They use horsemeat
Watseka Resident

Bourbonnais, IL

#8 Dec 16, 2013
As there is no Deli or Bakery in Watseka, I am thrilled that Berkots is here. I think they have a nice produce section as well. The store is clean and upscale. Exactly what we want to bring to Watseka. We need to keep updating and moving forward in this town.
I personally can not stand buying food at Walmart. I am just not a fan of that store. I too, purchase quite a bit at Aldi, but only go there a couple times a month.
It is great having Berkots in Watseka.
employee

United States

#9 Dec 16, 2013
That wall is their bakery, and they make product behind that wall for Watseka and all of the other berkot stores as well.
just wondering

Wilmington, IL

#10 Dec 16, 2013
you people suck no wonder this town cant grow your hateful
honstopinio

Watseka, IL

#11 Dec 17, 2013
It is nice to see them back, however I enjoyed the old store and employees more. Now I agree the store looks nice, and I will buy meat from Berkot, before I would Walmart. but other wise prices and quality will determine where I purchase the other items. Quality use to charge 1.99 for links while Walmart was 1.29, TVdinners were 1.99 at quality and 1.29 at Walmart, so if I purchased 10 of each that was $14.00 In savings. I will price Berkots items against Walmarts.

We did have an incident at the old Berkots where our Debit Card was ran 3 minutes after our purchase on a bogus transaction and it was for a few cents less. Berkots refused to correct the issue, our local bank did by simply stopping payment. However, we never had a problem with them again.
opinion

Sheldon, IL

#12 Dec 17, 2013
The only thing "upscale" Watseka needs is their governing bodies, i.e. state's attorney, local police. They don't have any integrity and certainly do NOT follow the law.

Watseka is not upscale-they don't need upscale shopping. Most people cannot afford it.
Jim

Watseka, IL

#13 Dec 18, 2013
Do you still card little old ladies buying wine?
Barometer Soup

Momence, IL

#14 Dec 18, 2013
No one should shop at Berkots after Qualitys ower VanNatta lied to his employees about a promised job.He told them he was not selling back in July,then he tells the paper he was working on the deal for a year ! Enjoy those millions! That old Watseka money With Crabtree and Gibbs.The little guy keeps looking for a job!
Barometer Soup

Momence, IL

#15 Dec 18, 2013
The Berkots job interviews were a joke. They tell you they want you to work for them,and a we will call you when Quality Supermarket closes,but they never did! We would call them and they would not return our calls. It was all for show! No one really wants Berkots here.Quality had good people,just a spoiled brat running the place!
DONT LIKE

Watseka, IL

#16 Dec 19, 2013
It was higher priced than Quality and never seen a single person from Quality. Will try not to go there or Walmart because I don't know which one I like the least. Last night I picked Dollar General.
Glad Berkots is back

Demotte, IN

#17 Dec 22, 2013
Beautiful store and I am so glad Berkots is back. Also glad to see Charlene back!! Berkots is a great company and those of you that complain simply do and use your food stamps somewhere else. Welcome back Berkots!!!!
White Weezal

Sheldon, IL

#18 Dec 22, 2013
Berkots may not be the best for pricing but how many here has wasted gas to drive to walmart to get some grub and the shelves had nothing on them? Meat cases 1/3 full at 10pm,,bread shelves having only a few loaves left,or completely out of OJ. Walmarts meat is pre packaged with very few variables,,most are thin sliced with either only enough for 2 people,or you have to buy the family paks large enough for a family of 10.Pick a pack of this preboxed meat up and weigh it,and manytimes it's not the actual ounce weight your paying for.
I've seen 3 ex Quality employees there working,as well as 3-4 old Berkots employees that are back.Yes,the size of the inside store space is smaller,probably because last time they were only renting the building,and now can do as they wish.I personally see no need for one entire wall covered with lunchmeat as Wal Mart has. I also hate the fact Wal Mart has checkout counters 1/8 mile long,and the only ones open are farthest from the exit door.Also half of Wal Marts parking lot is for Handicapped,making everyone else park as far way from the doors as possible.
Watseka is always "overextended" on everything,from gas stations to places to eat,and with a town of only 5600 or so,they want to resemble Danville in the scope of getting into your wallet,one way or another.Charlene Wallace is a Super Hotty,,,and needs to be a the helm of operations!!
Yuck

Sheldon, IL

#19 Dec 22, 2013
Charlene at Berkots is the RUDEST, most stuck-up, lying piece of crap Berkots could have gotten back. I've seen her In action so many times. Old employees hated her and several left because of her. She needs to crawl back in her hole and stay there. THUMBS DOWN TO HER!
Barometer Soup

Momence, IL

#20 Dec 22, 2013
I love how Berkots and QualitySupermarket owner VanNatta try to come off like they care about the old employees,just to look good for the public. Dont see many of them there,do we????Dump on them just before Christmas! Enjoy that old Watseka money !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sheldon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
david barber 16 hr Just me 2
DA needs to get the job done (Jun '12) Thu jay 46
Liz Brooks Wed Tiffany 9
RIP Felicia Wed Tiffany 10
jordan edwards Jan 28 questionable 1
kingdons home center Jan 26 just saying 5
Anybody have contact info for Chris Schneider? (Jul '10) Jan 26 CPS-inquiry 5

Winter Storm Warning for Iroquois County was issued at January 31 at 2:47AM CST

Sheldon Dating
Find my Match